• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think if I went a decade back in time and told my 2002 self about Brawl's roster, the only things my 2002 self would complain about would be the lack of Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy. My 2002 self would also be confused over the presence of third-party characters. In general, I am a Smash Bros. fan from another age and had an idea since Melee about who should be included. Ridley and Mega Man are the only true newcomers left that I would get excited for. I am hoping both of those characters are among the first four newcomers confirmed for Smash 4. I don't think I will be as active for Smash 4 after its announcement as I was for Brawl (of which there were many other characters I really wanted in besides Ridley). I might just dedicate myself to convincing people that Mewtwo and Roy should be brought back, and supporting the return of many of Brawl's veterans.

D

Deleted member

Nope, I'm meaning Toon Link (or little Link). If there is any Nintendo character I see as being expendable right off the bat, it's him. However, I believe Solid Snake is the likeliest to leave out of all the characters. Sonic is funny because I really do not see him leaving. Granted he could leave if Sakurai was vehemently against bringing him back, but outside of that I just don't see him going. Depending on your stripe that is either good news or bad news.
I'm not sure why Toon Link would be expendable. He might be replaced by Young Link, but if you mean cutting a child Link out entirely, I don't see it happening.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think if I went a decade back in time and told my 2002 self about Brawl's roster, the only things my 2002 self would complain about would be the lack of Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy. My 2002 self would also be confused over the presence of third-party characters. In general, I am a Smash Bros. fan from another age and had an idea since Melee about who should be included. Ridley and Mega Man are the only true newcomers left that I would get excited for. I am hoping both of those characters are among the first four newcomers confirmed for Smash 4. I don't think I will be as active for Smash 4 after its announcement as I was for Brawl (of which there were many other characters I really wanted in besides Ridley). I might just dedicate myself to convincing people that Mewtwo and Roy should be brought back, and supporting the return of many of Brawl's veterans.
My 2002 self wouldn't know who Ike, Lucario, and Lucas were. :troll:

Hell, my 2002 self wouldn't know half the new characters that actually existed back then. She'd be ecstatic about Sonic though, and would wonder where Knuckles was. Good thing I'm not 10 anymore. :laugh:

Seriously though, I don't expect to quit Smash speculation for a LONG time. Even when all the characters I want get in and I have nothing left to complain about.
Actually, I'll quit when Banjo-Kazooie get in. :awesome:

And yeah Chrono, don't go anywhere. We like hearing your old-timey stories about Melee speculation. :laugh:

Scar86

Smash Cadet
Joanna Dark.

B is a Falcon- 2 shot. Rate of fire is Similar to falco's Blaster, but Damage is Slightly higher.

Side-B is a burst of gunfire from a Random PD Assault Rifle, the B button can be held down for a Full auto assault. Holding the button down all the way has a random chance of activating the assualt rifle's secondary fire when she pulls it out.

High Impact shells, grenade launcher ect.

Up-B activates her Cloaking Device, allowing her to turn invisible for a few seconds.

Down-B Plant's a Laptop Gun to any surface that has a vertical face, laying down a field of suppressing fire.

Side A is a pistol whip, the A button can be tapped rapidly for a flurry of pain.

Down A is a Horizontal Knife Slash, that does poison damage.

Up-A Is a reverse-hook kick

Final Smash is an ungodly reign of Terror With the Farsight Xr-20

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's possible to have Banjo the 3DS version, but not on the Wii U version. But considering that Rare is currently a 2nd party of Microsoft, it's pretty much impossible to have Banjo in ether scenario.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
It's possible to have Banjo the 3DS version, but not on the Wii U version. But considering that Rare is currently a 2nd party of Microsoft, it's pretty much impossible to have Banjo in ether scenario.
Tragic, isn't it? Banjo would have been essentially a shoo-in in Brawl if it weren't for the ****ing sale. What could have been... I don't even want to think about it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hoots: Maan. I still think this was one of the biggest things ruined in my childhood. BanjoKazooie would've been so great in Smash, and so deserving too. (-;__;-)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, I know Banjo's chances. :urg::cry:
It was pretty much a way of saying I'll never quit.

When Rare left, I'm not to proud to admit there might have been some tears. Especially since I was told they also took Donkey Kong and Starfox and I didn't have an Xbox. I was really gullible back then, lol.

It still makes me sad when I play Banjo-Kazooie or Conker's BFD.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
My 2002 self wouldn't know who Ike, Lucario, and Lucas were. :troll:

Hell, my 2002 self wouldn't know half the new characters that actually existed back then. She'd be ecstatic about Sonic though, and would wonder where Knuckles was. Good thing I'm not 10 anymore. :laugh:

Seriously though, I don't expect to quit Smash speculation for a LONG time. Even when all the characters I want get in and I have nothing left to complain about.
Actually, I'll quit when Banjo-Kazooie get in. :awesome:

And yeah Chrono, don't go anywhere. We like hearing your old-timey stories about Melee speculation. :laugh:
Yeah, my 2002 self would probably be confused by the likes of Zero Suit Samus, Lucas, Ike, and Lucario being included. I would probably just say those were characters invented since then.

Overall, I really liked Brawl's roster, and it was only a few characters away from being "complete" to me.

As for "old timey" stories about Melee speculation, I think I have already said everything that era. However, my perspective might be intriguing because it comes from someone who has thought a lot about Smash Bros. since the beginning of the series.

As for Banjo-Kazooie, back during in pre-Melee, I thought they would be a perfect addition to Smash Bros. (though I did not think they would get in). Its a shame that they will never get in though. I also think that if Joanna Dark was not owned by Rare, she would be the perfect character to take Snake's moveset (aside from Pico).

My main worry going into Smash 4 will be about characters that have already been in Smash Bros. I obviously want Mewtwo and Roy to return. However, from Sakurai's statements about Brawl hitting the limit in terms of what's feasible, I do have a worry that Sakurai will go become "axe happy" with Smash 4. Obviously characters such as Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Wario, Meta Knight, Pit, and Olimar are safe. However, Brawl characters that I liked that I am worried about are Pokemon Trainer (with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), Sonic, Wolf, ROB, and Lucas. I am also worried about possiblu Jigglypuff and Falco being cut. Overall, I will be very different than most Smash Bros. fans going into Smash 4 (assuming Ridley and Mega Man are among the first characters announced). As with most Smash Bros. fans that are active with speculation still wanting many characters to get in, most of my character concerns will be with characters returning.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If the Wii U is as up to date with DLC and patches as the PlaySation and XBox are (or more so) I can see them Releaseing Mewtwo, Roy and others as DLC and free up the main game for new characters like Zoroark (I prefer Mewtwo to Zoroark BTW but I'm curious to see what they'd do with him). I just hope it's more of a MK9 model rather than a SFxT on. (i.e. DownLoadable Content, not DiscLocked Content)

D

Deleted member

If the Wii U is as up to date with DLC and patches as the PlaySation and XBox are (or more so) I can see them Releaseing Mewtwo, Roy and others as DLC and free up the main game for new characters like Zoroark (I prefer Mewtwo to Zoroark BTW but I'm curious to see what they'd do with him). I just hope it's more of a MK9 model rather than a SFxT on. (i.e. DownLoadable Content, not DiscLocked Content)
If we're getting DLC, Mewtwo and Roy are not good choices. They should be included from the start if at all.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sadly, I see Sakurai being against DLC characters and using a rationalization that it would be unfair for people to put out money for content in Smash Bros. as important as a playable character. I can also see Sakurai putting up the legitimate point of the problem with playing people online who did not download the DLC. This was a big problem with Mortal Combat 9.

If Smash 4 does somehow have DLC characters, I am guessing the characters will be mostly complete on the disk as was the case with the DLC characters in Capcom's fighters, but I can't see Sakurai pulling something like that.

Either way, I am definitely not expecting DLC characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My main worry going into Smash 4 will be about characters that have already been in Smash Bros. I obviously want Mewtwo and Roy to return. However, from Sakurai's statements about Brawl hitting the limit in terms of what's feasible, I do have a worry that Sakurai will go become "axe happy" with Smash 4. Obviously characters such as Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Wario, Meta Knight, Pit, and Olimar are safe. However, Brawl characters that I liked that I am worried about are Pokemon Trainer (with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), Sonic, Wolf, ROB, and Lucas. I am also worried about possiblu Jigglypuff and Falco being cut. Overall, I will be very different than most Smash Bros. fans going into Smash 4 (assuming Ridley and Mega Man are among the first characters announced). As with most Smash Bros. fans that are active with speculation still wanting many characters to get in, most of my character concerns will be with characters returning.
Yeah I agree with you, this seems like a legitimate concern. Guybrush brings up a good point in DLC, but I can't imagine all the cut Brawl characters will be back even if some DLC is implemented. I know you don't think DLC will be used, but if it hypothetically was, of the ones you listed as being possible cuts, who do you think would chosen to be DLC? I suspect it would go to the most popular overall characters (with the casuals/non-hardcore), as they would lead to highest sales, even if they aren't the most... deserving. I'm guessing Wolf or Falco, Mewtwo (if he's not on-disc), and Roy or Ike. I think Sonic would be in a different situation, as I don't think Sakurai would choose to axe him (unless he sees 3rd parties as a 1-time deal, (which I doubt)) due to all the sales he brings in, it would probably be due to Sega or Nintendo not wanting it, or legal issues.

I know you don't like her and I'm not trying to push her, but if Wolf and Falco were both cut (unlikely) do you think Krystal would be included?

Also you didn't list Snake, do you think he's likely to be cut?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
When it comes to DLC, they don't have to make DLC paid. Sora could always just pull a Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and make the characters free. They don't even have to make them retailer exclusive pre-order bonuses like in TTT2's case

I think that we'll get some DLC, but I doubt that we'll get as much DLC as people out there like to think we'll get

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also you didn't list Snake, do you think he's likely to be cut?
I personally think Snake is the most likely to be cut. Although I thought Snake had a very unique and interesting moveset, I think Snake was out of place in Smash Bros. I even think Dr. Mario and Pichu were more deserving of their spots than Snake is. Snake, I feel, is a Playstation All-Star, not a Nintendo one. Snake being included as a guest for Sony's all-star fighting game makes a lot more sense than being in Smash Bros.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If/when Snake goes, Sonic should go too
They aren't connected. If one goes for whatever reason it doesn't mean the other one will go for the same reason, unless that reason is Nintendo doesn't want 3rd parties. It would be a questionable reason, considering they bring hype and sales. Nintendo won't kick out a character that brings in so much money just because another unrelated one left.

And at least Sonic has more of a connection to Nintendo than Snake.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm expecting 45 characters as a realistic expectation. Recent Capcom Fighters have had around 50 but there's one important difference. In Capcom Fighters the stages are just pretty backgrounds and there's about 10 of them tops. In smash bros the different stages are an itegral part of gameplay (Dispite what NIFOFD people think) and there's more of them than characters. That takes the resources out of the characters quite a bit.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Developing unnecessarily time-consuming bland Adventure modes take even more resources away from character development than stages do. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Except that remix isn't technically unique to Brawl. It originally appeared on the Japanese CD True Blue: The Best of Sonic The Hedgehog
But it's called the SSBB remix, which means it was already planned and remixed for Brawl before it was added to the CD.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@N3ON- Well, Sonic already have a crossover series with Nintendo that he can call home, he doesn't need to be in Smash Bros

Besides, it doesn't make sense to keep one third party but not the other. I hate to say it, really I do, but the blue dude with a 'tude can get the boot just as easily as Snake will most likely get the boot

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Why wouldn't it make sense? If sonic's inclusion was due in bulk to fan support, why would it be illogical to keep him in while the other third party is left behind because his inclusion was done as a favor? You should look at them more as individuals and less as a third party group.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Characters can be in more than one crossover with the same company. Just ask Namco and Capcom.

Depending on why Snake left, it could make perfect sense to have one without the other. Why would Snake being exclusive to All-Stars (hypothetically) or Konami not wanting him in Smash affect Sonic and Sega any which way? The only thing that could affect both would be if Nintendo or Sakurai wanted 3rd parties out. I do agree with you that Sonic could also get cut (personally I think it's unlikely), but not just because Snake is no longer there. Nintendo's not going to pass up the money Sonic brings on account of not having Snake.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Mityamoto announced that he wants to do a sequel to LoZ: A Link to the Past. Also, NSMB2 is coming, and it's going to use the P Bar from SMB3 and the Racoon powerup. The villain is also supposedley a new villain or Bowser or Bowser Jr. or, possibly even Wart...
The Frog King of Vegetable returns?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I don't think Sonic will be cut because of Snake being in Playstation All-Stars. I think that they'll both be cut because Sakurai could very easily view third party guests as a one-time thing. And I'm not saying that Sonic can't be in two Nintendo crossovers in once, I'm saying that even if he does get cut from Smash, that we'll still have the Mario and Sonic series for the two series to compete against. After all, that's why so many people wanted Sonic in Smash, right? So that Mario and Sonic could finally fight against each other. So, believe me, I would love for Sonic to stay (Snake too), but I'm just being real here

And disfunk, I just don't think it would be fair to keep one but not the other. I'm aware that Sonic was actually highly requested while Snake wasn't, but regardless of all that, they're still third party characters. Third parties/guest characters don't usually stay in fighting game series for more than one game, anyway, so why would Smash be any different?

D

Deleted member

I'm expecting 45 characters as a realistic expectation. Recent Capcom Fighters have had around 50 but there's one important difference. In Capcom Fighters the stages are just pretty backgrounds and there's about 10 of them tops. In smash bros the different stages are an itegral part of gameplay (Dispite what NIFOFD people think) and there's more of them than characters. That takes the resources out of the characters quite a bit.
Space for characters take up no more than 20 Mb and that's being generous. If there were be to say, 54 characters (transformation included), that would take up only 1080 Mb, less than a Gb of space. So we could definitely see at least 50 characters (transformation included). The question is; will they have time?

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
I doubt Sonic will get cut. Mostly, because there's no reason for him too be cut. He's popular, and his cutting would recieve alot of backlash, which I'm sure Sakarai would like to avoid. Plus SEGA get's free advertisment, plus some cash from Nintendo, I assume. Heck the same could be said for Snake, except Sakarai may feel he is too out of place (which obviously wasn't the case for Brawl)

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@metal
Because smash is different. It's broken so many fighting game norms so far, it's not a too much of a stretch to assume they'd break another.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think Sonic will be cut because of Snake being in Playstation All-Stars. I think that they'll both be cut because Sakurai could very easily view third party guests as a one-time thing. And I'm not saying that Sonic can't be in two Nintendo crossovers in once, I'm saying that even if he does get cut from Smash, that we'll still have the Mario and Sonic series for the two series to compete against. After all, that's why so many people wanted Sonic in Smash, right? So that Mario and Sonic could finally fight against each other. So, believe me, I would love for Sonic to stay (Snake too), but I'm just being real here

And disfunk, I just don't think it would be fair to keep one but not the other. I'm aware that Sonic was actually highly requested while Snake wasn't, but regardless of all that, they're still third party characters. Third parties/guest characters don't usually stay in fighting game series for more than one game, anyway, so why would Smash be any different?
Smash is quite different than most other fighting games, but even if it wasn't, the precedent for how to deal with third parties has not yet been set in Smash Bros, so people jump to conclusions. From a business standpoint, and from a fan-pleasing standpoint, it makes sense to keep the third parties. There's a chance they might leave, but the only reasoning behind both leaving for the same reason is assuming something Sakurai never stated is what he believes. As we don't know what will happen, and there are more concrete points on why they should stay as opposed to leave, I personally believe it makes more sense to lean on the side of returning 3rd parties. However, we won't know til we know, all we can do now is guess. But one leaving won't necessarily affect the other leaving.

Two blue third-party characters isn't exceptable.
Almost as unacceptable as two plumbers wearing blue overalls, two blue haired swordsmen, two green-capped Hylians, two princesses in dresses, and three anthropomorphized space animals driving tanks. :troll:

Actually that last one is unacceptable. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom