• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Again, it's not about series but about individual characters. We didn't want Sonic because he was a Sega character.
Well considering half of the characters we are talking about are mascots, it's fair to say they are representatives of their series. In this case there is nothing wrong with talking about that. Third Party characters are not bound to the same rules as Nintendo characters, so trying to fit them into the same constraints is not going to work. I get what you are saying, and I am not calling for a token SquareEnix character. Besides, SquareEnix characters are a much bigger deal in Japan then they are here. Perhaps there they have a better idea of what they'd want.

Oh wow, this is one of the more brilliant posts from Gamefaqs, big props to Doug314 for this.

I think he means they've reached the limit of what's feasible meaning he has constructed the real roster. It has some number of characters and he's not going to add many more to it, if any, beyond this point, but it may easily already have 50.
In case it is not clear he is talking in reference to the latest Nintendo Power article with Sakurai. Did not even think of it that way.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
you're kidding me right? what in the blue hell is Pac man going to do in the next smash game other than bite or ram into someone?
Butt Bounce, boxing, Dot Chain, Power Pellet, Super Pellet, Knight Pacman, Rev Roll, Phantasm, warping, Wing Pacman, Trap Bag, & Super Pacman. These are his abilities from all Classic & Pac Man World games, as well as Pac Man Arranged and Pac Man 2.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Kuma: Lol, Snake got in due Kojima's son wanting him in according to recent interviews. So I guess Snake was just lucky.

And why you must bring Lloyd again? He's yet another of the many protagonists in Tales-series, and that series has again contributed nothing to Nintendo or had very huge history with it. People just tie it to it because how successful Symphonia was on GC. (-l3l-); If Lloyd got in, then there should be loads of Tales-franchises' presentation in some form.

Pacman all the way, wakawakkers.
Snake has very little history with Nintendo. Lloyd has the popularity factor with Nintendo fans AND he was put in the Wii exclusive Soul Calibur Legends for no other reason than possibly for fan service.
That's right! If Sonic & Snake got in due to being mascots to their respective companies, Pac Man would be the best choice since he's the face of Namco Bandai.

Please do tell of a way that Pacman can work that isn't uninspired, is in character, unique, and can work in Smash. If Capcom couldn't pull it off without pulling in a Mokujin mech, I doubt a Smash environment would be much easier.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
you're kidding me right? what in the blue hell is Pac man going to do in the next smash game other than bite or ram into someone?
Well he piloted Tekken's training dummy in SFxT and he has plenty of potential if given some creative freedom. Look at ROB, all he can canonicly do is move blocks and Gyros.

D

Deleted member

>Says "Hell no" to Ridley.
>Says Pac-Man can only bite or ram people.

Way to make a first impression.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Snake has very little history with Nintendo. Lloyd has the popularity factor with Nintendo fans AND he was put in the Wii exclusive Soul Calibur Legends for no other reason than possibly for fan service.
*Sigh* Now, I'll take the account of that. But still, note that his game's the fifth game in Tales-series. If Lloyd was put in Smash Bros, many would think Tales Of Symphonia's a stand-alone series, not one of the games in Tales-series (yes, we know it got a sequel, but still, it's also part of the Tales-series).

Tales Of-series is just one of the famous mainstream Namco-franchises, but I don't think Lloyd is the mascot of that series. So why put him to represent Tales-series and above that, Namco? He might bring hype, but he might also create some smashtardism effects out:

- Many unknown to TOS would think it's a stand-alone series even it's a fifth game of Tales-series.

- Or even worse, think it's a franchise made by Nintendo

- Tales Of Symphonia would be falsely claimed to be the most popular Tales Of-game for many people (although I doubt that's true, is it true though?)

- Smash 5's fanbase would consists of Namco-fans wanting more Tales-series to be included OR expecting to see more Namco-franchises.

Anyway, here's one moveset for Pacman. Not all unique, but it at least is in character with Pac. (-l3l-); Besides if they moved the Chomp-move for Pac and gave Wario a more better B-move, all done.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Please do tell of a way that Pacman can work that isn't uninspired, is in character, unique, and can work in Smash. If Capcom couldn't pull it off without pulling in a Mokujin mech, I doubt a Smash environment would be much easier.
Look at what I said to Viper. In the N64 version of Namco Museum, Pac Man is depicted pulling a punch on the Pac Man game's border. Also, he did train as a knight in the Pac Kingdom to win Mrs. Pac Man's heart. Other than that, Sakurai can put his creativity to the test to make him a fighter. -_-'

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To dispel people saying he has no potential here's...

Pac-Man's potential Moveset

B- Pac-Chomp: Similar to Wario's but with more bites and a worse throw.
B Side- Pac' n Roll: Pac Man rolls forwards a few times to damage the opponent and aid recovery
B Up- PAc-Charge: PAc-Man charges up and body slams in the direction the stick is facing.
B Down- Power Pellet: PAc-Man chows down a Power up and his opponents glow Blue/Team colour. Reverses the Pac-Chomp's properties by making it less damaging but greater knockback. Lasts 5 seconds, can be interrupted.

FINAL SMASH: GHOST ATTACK
The Ghosts (Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde) appear and float around the screen in a similar pattern to the original pac-man game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Final Smash SHOULD BE THE POWER PELLET

BrushGuy, get the facts right.
Maybe I should explain the thought process.

In the original Pac-Man he is dependant on getting the pellets to be effective at fighting/eating while the Ghosts represent the largest threat. My idea for Pac-Man's playstyle is to do as much damage as possibl, find an opening, chow a pellet and KO. Though knowing the smash comunity they'd probably find on of his air attacks to be the best KO attack.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
See, this is why Slime should be in Smash Bros. He just wants to be loved.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Maybe I should explain the thought process.

In the original Pac-Man he is dependant on getting the pellets to be effective at fighting/eating while the Ghosts represent the largest threat. My idea for Pac-Man's playstyle is to do as much damage as possibl, find an opening, chow a pellet and KO. Though knowing the smash comunity they'd probably find on of his air attacks to be the best KO attack.
Why not put the ghosts in that rampaging machine from I believe Pac-Man Arrangement? That thing killed me A LOT. Or something, cuz the ghosts are kinda small and slow...

Like this starting at 2:25. Doesn't last long, but can do some serious damage.

With this playing.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Aah, Dragon Quest. Gotta admit it's like some buddy with Mario-series.
Pretty much been that way since the 80's. Heck, from what I hear much like Final Fantasy VII, Dragon Quest VII was originally planned for the 64, but obviously did not happen once the 64DD was dropped by Nintendo. Sad, because Dragon Quest VII was a fun game. Oh, and the difference between DQ7 and FF7 is DQ7 was actually being worked on for the system, FF7 was only proposed.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I wouldn't mind Slime getting it in Smash

Anything Akira Toriyama makes is godly (he did make both Slime and Dragon quest, right?)

Yes, Toriyama did.

Well, besides my love of the Dragon Quest series, and being able to hear this song, I think it would be a great fit with Nintendo. It's cartoony, has a comical charm and is a series relatively popular and close to Nintendo historically. Slime himself would not be out of place with the vibrant Nintendo characters. Certainly a much better choice than Solid Snake. At the end of the day I still prefer Crono, but he is my number two guy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wouldn't mind Slime getting it in Smash

Anything Akira Toriyama makes is godly (he did make both Slime and Dragon quest, right?)

Well he did the character designs anyway. In anycase if there was Dragon Quest representation I'd rather it be the slime with an inventive moveset than one of the heroes with a sword moveset. (Which incidently can almost all be the butt of "B**** I look like Goku jokes)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yes, Toriyama did.

Well, besides my love of the Dragon Quest series, and being able to hear this song, I think it would be a great fit with Nintendo. It's cartoony, has a comical charm and is a series relatively popular and close to Nintendo historically. Slime himself would not be out of place with the vibrant Nintendo characters. Certainly a much better choice than Solid Snake. At the end of the day I still prefer Crono, but he is my number two guy.
Can't you just say "Slime, as a blob character, would be more interesting to play as." It's the truth. All the rest is just icing. Plus Metal Slime palette swap.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I wish to apologize to Hoots.
For?

Also, while I actually really like Chocobos and I think Slime would be interesting (and I actually think the Slime/Chocobo idea would be fun) I really don't think a generic enemy/monster/whatever should take up a third party slot just for the sake of representing Square. Star said himself that it's that there are too many main characters to choose one. Ergo, adding Slime as a compromise would essentially only be to represent Square and not much else.

Also also, Pacman... The character who actually made it into a fighting game and was so uninteresting they had to put him in a mech. Good choice.

D

Deleted member

It isn't just for representing Square. It's because Slime is the mascot of the Dragon Quest series like how Pikachu is the mascot for Pokemon, and because Slime has been alongside Mario on numerous occasions. Slime appears side by side with Mario on the cover of Idataki (or however it's spelled) Street DS, is the sole Dragon Quest character in Mario Sports Mix, which is otherwise populated with Final Fantasy elements, and then there's Fortune Street for the Wii, where Slime is the first character on the CSS for Dragon Quest, IIRC.

Also, Mega Man, the character who was denied from a major Capcom fighting game because he was supposedly didn't have much to offer compared to other characters from his franchise (despite being in the titles prior to it), and made it into a different fighting game as a fat middle aged man that uses a gun. Good choice.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'll be proud to announce you guys that I've made a chatroom that we'll be coming together into when there's Nintendo's Conference at E3.

Go to the backroom to access it.

Make sure to check your timelines!

Oasis: Now that's a spinoff I'd like to see. (-ÒvÓ-)

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Awesome job, Horsetail. ^_^
EDIT: 5:00pm on Tuesday? **** YEH
On Bank Holiday? FUUUCCCKK YEEEEEEEAH!

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Can't you just say "Slime, as a blob character, would be more interesting to play as." It's the truth. All the rest is just icing. Plus Metal Slime palette swap.
That's true to, having a character that uses his stretches his body to do his fighting for him would definitely be unique for Smash Bros, but not necessarily for fighting games in general. Shuma-Gorath, Arakune, Mars People are all freaky, unorthodox fighters that have been poster children for "what the heck?" Plus, if Slime can play sports with Mario and gang, I'm not sure it is that much of a stretch for him to do anything else.

The Crusade crew, depending on how the DLC polling goes, might even be doing a moveset for him in their game, of which I have already offered my help in collaborating on if he wins out (which it looks like he probably will).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Smash Bros, Starfox, and F-Zero rumored to be shown at e3

Nintendo seems to be VERY confident with this e3, but I really doubt they had an F-Zero behind the scenes.
Super Smash Bros has me calling this one fake. Sorry. That and I'd never even heard of this website before. F-Zero and Star Fox I can see, because there have been hinting about both games before, but Smash Bros is just too early. Unless Nintendo has been rushing Sakurai, which, in that case, is not necessarily good news...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Super Smash Bros has me calling this one fake. Sorry. That and I'd never even heard of this website before. F-Zero and Star Fox I can see, because there have been hinting about both games before, but Smash Bros is just too early. Unless Nintendo has been rushing Sakurai, which, in that case, is not necessarily good news...
Trailer's always possible.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It wouldn't really matter at this point.
True, Sakurai was rushed with Melee and in some ways it worked out for the better. Still though presumably rushing a guy who just began work on a project so they can have something to show at E3 and wow fans and investors is a raw deal for Sakurai and his team. We have no idea if he even received that extra help he was asking for months ago.

Trailer's always possible.
I guess, but it is such a small chance that I am keeping my expectations extremely low. We'll see how "close to Nintendo" this source of theirs [the website] is, I guess.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Smash Bros, Starfox, and F-Zero rumored to be shown at e3

Nintendo seems to be VERY confident with this e3, but I really doubt they had an F-Zero behind the scenes.
I'd really love for this to be true. Other than Smash, these are the two I'd like to see the most. I'm questioning the likelihood of all three showing up though. The rumor really doesn't have anything more going for it than other rumors: "A source close to Nintendo", a little-heard of site. It might be true, but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt, and not get my expectations up.

Starphoenix said:
Unless Nintendo has been rushing Sakurai, which, in that case, is not necessarily good news...
If they rush Sakurai to make a trailer, it could take away from Sakurai's time better used in early development, and would probably extend the development time (not that it would come out anytime soon anyway). However Smash would probably be the game that brings the most hype for Wii U, so I could see Nintendo asking Sakurai to make a short, CG trailer (with no gameplay). I won't be surprised either way, trailer or not. The only thing that would surprise me (excluding possible character choices) is if there was gameplay in the trailer (which there won't be).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'd really love for this to be true. Other than Smash, these are the two I'd like to see the most. I'm questioning the likelihood of all three showing up though. The rumor really doesn't have anything more going for it than other rumors: "A source close to Nintendo", a little-heard of site. It might be true, but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt, and not get my expectations up.
Well the site is legitimate, so there is that. It is not so farfetched for me to believe they could know something, but I am still carrying around my satchel of salt with this one. If they indeed are correct I'll add them to my personal list of reputable sites (which is far and few between these days).

I remember this guy on Gamefaqs leaking the title of Skyward Sword several days before E3. He was working for a banner design company in Nevada (I believe) and accurately described the artwork and title. Obviously most people treated him with suspicion, but that E3, when I saw how everything was exactly as he described, I felt happy to know I was privy to an actual legitimate leak.

If they rush Sakurai to make a trailer, it could take away from Sakurai's time better used in early development, and would probably extend the development time (not that it would come out anytime soon anyway). However Smash would probably be the game that brings the most hype for Wii U, so I could see Nintendo asking Sakurai to make a short, CG trailer (with no gameplay). I won't be surprised either way, trailer or not. The only thing that would surprise me (excluding possible character choices) is if there was gameplay in the trailer (which there won't be).
Another problem is if he puts in content he is not sure will remain, then you have a problem when it comes time to remove something you have already promised or shown. Doesn't work out very well when you have to explain to feverish fans what happened.

For those who like the Scribblenaut series. Someone reputable just leaked that Scribblenauts Unlimited is coming to the Wii U.

You MegaMario, Star?
Keikaku. Wondering how long it would take you. lol

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It isn't just for representing Square. It's because Slime is the mascot of the Dragon Quest series like how Pikachu is the mascot for Pokemon, and because Slime has been alongside Mario on numerous occasions. Slime appears side by side with Mario on the cover of Idataki (or however it's spelled) Street DS, is the sole Dragon Quest character in Mario Sports Mix, which is otherwise populated with Final Fantasy elements, and then there's Fortune Street for the Wii, where Slime is the first character on the CSS for Dragon Quest, IIRC.
That doesn't make him interesting.

Representing third parties is stupid. Third party characters are suppose to be something that is special. Something different. Having Slime, a character with no limbs, is not that interesting and he's only suggested to "represent" Square Enix. Start bringing up ideas that people may actually like people.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
For those who like the Scribblenaut series. Someone reputable just leaked that Scribblenauts Unlimited is coming to the Wii U.
That's the only series that I can think of that would be perfect for the Wii U.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Keikaku. Wondering how long it would take you. lol

That doesn't make him interesting.

Representing third parties is stupid. Third party characters are suppose to be something that is special. Something different. Having Slime, a character with no limbs, is not that interesting and he's only suggested to "represent" Square Enix. Start bringing up ideas that people may actually like people.
This is where the idea of representation falls apart. It turns into filling up a quota and not on the individual "merits" of the character that would be relevant for putting a character in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom