• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like how the one time I PM something that mentions chewing tobacco as a joke, suddenly multiple people on this thread are mentioning it.

God I am laughing so hard right now.
[By the way, this picture is what I envision John doing all the time.]
Truth be told, I am always eating when posting. That or watching sports. Or watching sports and eating. Or doing homework (which I don't have anymore, due to school being out).

If you want to talk about laughing/smiling, you should see my brother. I tease him by constantly saying "stop smiling! Babies are drowning! People are dying!" But by some reflex, all he can ever respond to anything is by smiling. It's so funny, and is almost too easy to bug him with. :cool: Actually, his smile/laugh is kinda like the one in that .gif! :chuckle:

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178345

A patent crediting both Miyamoto and Dyack was recently published and confirms Nintendo and Silicon Knights are working on a horror game. I think that on top of the previous evidince (SK working on their "most requested" title for the "next generation" and confirmed ED2 is "highly requested". A former employee also has Wii U SDK on his resume), we can confirm Eternal Darkness 2 is coming.

With that, I think Alexandra Roivas has a pretty big chance, don't you?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Meah, I'm still hesitant as to whether this is real or not, although we all knew this was coming eventually. Still, there is a small chance this could be a new or spin-off horror game.
a blogger on gamecrunch made a list of the 15 worst fanbases.

Smash Bros.was #11.
The people who they listed weren't actually "real" smash bros. fans in my opinion. More like crazies that are outside of our sphere. Although them saying people are "forced" to play Project M is a joke. People play it at tournaments because it's fun! I got a dude so hyped to play Hyrule Castle 64 as freaking a strong as hell Bowser against my BAMF Lucas.
I don't get why Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Half-Life, and Portal fans can get away with all those fan-made mods (hell, Counter-Strike is a fan-made mod!), and Street Fighter/Capcom games can have a trillion versions, but when Smash Bros. fans do it, it's suddenly taboo. Freaking double standards man.

/reasoning with haters who fail to even try to understand or communicate with us, and judge us from a far.

Thus, that is how wars start ladies and gentlemen. By such biased and uneducated opinions. Oh, and inbreeding in the case of most (European) wars up to World War I! :laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It still could be. I mean, a "spin-off" of Eternal Darkness with different characters, a new setting, an unrelated plot, but similar gameplay and story progression would still be accepted and wanted by most fans of Eternal Darkness. That is, of course, assuming the game is up to the quality of Eternal Darkness.
I would actually like this. I'd love to see NPCs make appearances outside of the usual. Anna would make for a great online Smash interface.
It would be awesome if NPC characters were on the various menus, or perhaps random menus had various themes of various series. For instance, Multiplayer could have a Mario series theme. Or maybe even the theme of a specific character, playable or not.

That would certainly bring life to the menus. Having, for instance, Sonic and Tails on a menu page randomly would be refreshing to the empty menus with boring backgrounds from all previous smash bros. games.

Also, if we get actually smash bros. news, this song will play over and over again in my head and IRL. :grin:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Eternal Darkness 2 is inevitable, I just wonder if or how much it will be shown off at E3.

I'm still not convinced about Alexandra being a playable character. An AT, sure. A stage would also be cool. I guess it depends on what she can do in ED2, (if she is even the main character) and how successful it is.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Eternal Darkness will be shown within the end of the year regardless.

As for content in smash, maybe an Assist Trophy character or some trophies, stickers, etc. would be nice. I don't see a playable character having much of a shot at all from Eternal Darkness.

I still haven't beaten that game. I borrowed it from my cousin (it was one of his favorite GameCube titles), but I only got about half way through, and pretty much forgot all about what exactly I did/got to in the game! :laugh:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Wanted =/= requested

People may like the idea of a spin off, but such a thing isn't actually highly requested like Eternal Darkness 2 is

So, yeah, it's pretty safe to assume that whatever this thing is, it's surely ED2

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, I doubt we'll see a playable Eternal Darkness rep at all for SSB4, and we won't see one in the future either unless this game is more successful (commercially) than the first and has a third installment before SSB5. Then I think an ED rep would have a shot.

I'd still like the Roivas Mansion as a stage though, unlikely as it might be. :bee:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's a packaged deal, I'm thinking in terms of what SquareEnix would want to push in order to benefit. That's not something I'm going into today.

Yeah, so no one is going to receive him? Really? Do I need to sound like a broken record and point out Japan? Sure, I know what the counter-point will be, I've done this song and dance before. Although I find it hard to believe when we have Solid Snake in Brawl who is someone I doubt anyone asked for prior to Brawl. Yet he's in.

Either way I'm not really going to argue this with you. You're entitled to your opinion and your stance. Not trying to lay out an gilded argument.
First, Sakurai get's to chose the characters, not SE. And he'll be very picky. So they are irrelevant in this situation.

Second, yes, Japan likes Dragon Quest. They like the series. There are plenty of haracter who can fight from the series and who would be recived better internationally. He's also a generic enemy that exist to beat up for 3 EXP. It would be like having Goomba in there.

The reason I'm arguing is I'm trying to end the Slime thing. Or, better yet, I'm trying to get people talking about third party characters that might be interesting and not ones that somehow important to Nintendo for some reason. They may not happen again, and people are taking seriously the idea that is the equivalent to Goomba.

Uh, no. Japan heavily likes Slime, Slime is an icon, and again, Slime is the mascot of the series that even got its own spin-off series. In fact, Slime is about Mega Man level when it comes to a 3rd Party choice over there.
You want to talk a generic enemy, talk Pikachu, which was nothing more than a minor creature you could capture that's weak and pitiful.
"B-but, Pikachu is the mascot and everyone knows about him!!!" Same argument applies to Slime.
And no character without an arm? :ivysaur: says hi.
"B-but, Ivysaur has vines it can use!!!" Slime is able to stretch and morph it's body. Also, as Sports Mix proved, it doesn't NEED arms to grab and hold onto things, as it can clearly use a hockey stick with no problem.
Mario Sports Mix uses the good old cheating system where it disregards how he holds it but the fact he does. Sakurai wouldn't stoop so low. He'd actually want the character holding the item. I'm also not sure how far you can take the stretchy limb thing since all of his moves have to be that way. I don't think they do anything other than attack and run away.

Second, Japan likes a lot of characters, including Megaman. We might as well just have Megaman since everyone would be happy. Or even a Final Fantasy character. The series is bigger than Dragon Quest.

Lastly, Pikachu was the mascot of the series. As in they aactually stuck his face everywhere. Dragon Quest focuses more on the hero and Slime is just a recurring enemy.

Let me say this again. We aren't going to get a lot of third party characters. Sakurai limited Brawl to 3. We may only get one. We may get none. This isn't like Nintendo characters where space is plentiful and they can add lots of obscure characters. This is a one time thing. You get one shot. So why are we talking about adding a character that
1)Is suggested more due to company's relations than people wanting it
2)Is popular in one region when there are many characters who are popular worldwide (Megaman, most FF characters)
3)Would have trouble fighting due to lack of moves and no arms.

Sheriffchu rides off into the sunset.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Japan has laws that ban Dragon Quest (and I think Final Fantasy) games from being released on certain days. I think on Thursdays and Fridays.

That is how much Japan loves Dragon Quest (and Final Fantasy).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It could still have completely different main characters and story elements and still be consider a "main" game in the series (not a spin-off). As long as it has the same or similar gameplay (and staples of the series, like the sanity meter), it could probably be classified as a non-spin-off sequel.

Not all numbered sequels have to have the same characters/plot/setting as the original.

Japan has laws that ban Dragon Quest (and I think Final Fantasy) games from being released on certain days. I think on Thursdays and Fridays.

Yeah, when Dragon Quest games are released, it's pretty much like a holiday. So many people skipped work and school, Japan outlawed Dragon Quest being released during the entire work week. Hilarious.

Imagine if something like that happened worldwide. :laugh:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
First, Sakurai get's to chose the characters, not SE. And he'll be very picky. So they are irrelevant in this situation.

Second, yes, Japan likes Dragon Quest. They like the series. There are plenty of haracter who can fight from the series and who would be recived better internationally. He's also a generic enemy that exist to beat up for 3 EXP. It would be like having Goomba in there.

The reason I'm arguing is I'm trying to end the Slime thing. Or, better yet, I'm trying to get people talking about third party characters that might be interesting and not ones that somehow important to Nintendo for some reason. They may not happen again, and people are taking seriously the idea that is the equivalent to Goomba.

Mario Sports Mix uses the good old cheating system where it disregards how he holds it but the fact he does. Sakurai wouldn't stoop so low. He'd actually want the character holding the item. I'm also not sure how far you can take the stretchy limb thing since all of his moves have to be that way. I don't think they do anything other than attack and run away.

Second, Japan likes a lot of characters, including Megaman. We might as well just have Megaman since everyone would be happy. Or even a Final Fantasy character. The series is bigger than Dragon Quest.

Lastly, Pikachu was the mascot of the series. As in they aactually stuck his face everywhere. Dragon Quest focuses more on the hero and Slime is just a recurring enemy.

Let me say this again. We aren't going to get a lot of third party characters. Sakurai limited Brawl to 3. We may only get one. We may get none. This isn't like Nintendo characters where space is plentiful and they can add lots of obscure characters. This is a one time thing. You get one shot. So why are we talking about adding a character that
1)Is suggested more due to company's relations than people wanting it
2)Is popular in one region when there are many characters who are popular worldwide (Megaman, most FF characters)
3)Would have trouble fighting due to lack of moves and no arms.

Because 4 or 5 starring games is everywhere.

And where is this third 3rd Party?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Not laws wirten into the legal structure per se but Enix knows it would cause mass distruption if it didn't only release on certain days. Were you at college when Portal 2 was released? It would be like that except bigger.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178345

With that, I think Alexandra Roivas has a pretty big chance, don't you?
There's a note on the article that states that the system subject to patent was related to MSG: Twin Snakes (GCN) which did have some SK involvement.

At any rate, a renewal of this (which is most likely the reason it was brought up) can mean something good for fans of Eternal darkness (such as myself). Let's hope something cool comes out of this.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

That's actually not true, it's just a policy SE uses.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
When Ganondorf REALLY needs a hug, he gets himself a long as heck and awkward hug.
That's actually not true, it's just a policy SE uses.
Regardless, it's pretty damn funny they take Dragon Quest that seriously. Specifically the weird spin-off Dragon Quest titles! :laugh:
It could still have completely different main characters and story elements and still be consider a "main" game in the series (not a spin-off). As long as it has the same or similar gameplay (and staples of the series, like the sanity meter), it could probably be classified as a non-spin-off sequel.
So like the Tails series... :grin: :awesome: :cool: :shades:
Imagine if something like that happened worldwide. :laugh:
It's called my reaction to Smash Wii U and 3DS coming out. ;)

D

Deleted member

Second, yes, Japan likes Dragon Quest. They like the series. There are plenty of haracter who can fight from the series and who would be recived better internationally. He's also a generic enemy that exist to beat up for 3 EXP. It would be like having Goomba in there. Or a Pikachu. Oh wait a minute....

The reason I'm arguing is I'm trying to end the Slime thing. Or, better yet, I'm trying to get people talking about third party characters that might be interesting and not ones that somehow important to Nintendo for some reason. They may not happen again, and people are taking seriously the idea that is the equivalent to Goomba. Equivalent to Pikachu. Why can you not see that?

Mario Sports Mix uses the good old cheating system where it disregards how he holds it but the fact he does. Sakurai wouldn't stoop so low. He'd actually want the character holding the item. I'm also not sure how far you can take the stretchy limb thing since all of his moves have to be that way. I don't think they do anything other than attack and run away. Actually play the Slime games or do research on Slimes before you make judgements, seeing as this shows you know nothing of Slimes. Slimes hold things like they do in Sports Mix in the Rocket Slime games, and it makes sense, due to them being of a sticky substance.
Also, a notable example of abilities other than simple tackles come from the Slime Class, available in DQ VII They are also capable of spells as shown in Dragon Quest Monsters. And don't get me started on the Rocket Slime games....

Second, Japan likes a lot of characters, including Megaman. We might as well just have Megaman since everyone would be happy. Or even a Final Fantasy character. The series is bigger than Dragon Quest. Wrong. Dragon Quest does considerably better in Japan than Final Fantasy. Slime is an ICON, as I've said.
Dragon Quest has become a cultural phenomenon in Japan. According to Ryutaro Ichimura and Yuji Horii, Dragon Quest has become popular enough that it is used as a common topic for conversation in Japan, and is considered by the Japanese gaming industry as Japan's national game. William Cassidy of GameSpy claims that "the common wisdom is that if you ask someone from Japan to draw 'Slime,' he'll draw the onion-like shape of the weak enemies from the game." There is an urban myth that the release of Dragon Quest III caused a law to be passed in Japan banning the sale of Dragon Quest games or video games in general except on certain days such as weekends or national holidays. When III was released in Japan, over 300 schoolchildren were arrested for truancy while waiting in stores for the game to be released.The rumor claims there was a measurable dip in productivity when a Dragon Quest game was released and although muggings of Dragon Quest titles became so widespread there were hearings in the Japanese Diet, no law was ever passed. However, the Japanese release of every Dragon Quest title continues to be on a Saturday and each new launch is widely anticipated.

You don't know what you are talking about. Slime is the mascot of the frigging series, and ITS face is everywhere. Especially in Japan, where Dragon Quest dominates all other RPGs that aren't Pokemon. Why do you think I said "same applies to Slime"? There is a crapton of Slime merchandise, that none of the forgettable heroes can claim!

1)Is suggested more due to company's relations than people wanting it Yes, CLEARLY people don't want Slime despite the fact it's a ****ing icon and deserves the mantle. :rolleyes:
2)Is popular in one region when there are many characters who are popular worldwide (Megaman, most FF characters) Slime is popular outside of Japan, dude. It may not be hyped beyond death as much as it is in Japan, but it's not unpopular in the slightest.
3)Would have trouble fighting due to lack of moves and no arms. This reasoning is horse****.

Responses in red.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
...Speaking of characters, I would like to ask what characters (barring the 39 playable Brawl characters) are the most likely to be playable in Smash Wii U and/or Smash 3DS.

This includes the cut Melee characters, of course (although I count Young Link and Toon Link as one in the same). I am finally going to start working on my pre-E3 character prediction video, even if I think it is extremely unlikely we will get any characters (especially newcomers) shown at E3.

I'd like to do somewhere from 15 to 20 characters (again, not including the Brawl 39).

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Slime: I think this is one of those times when this thread starts getting a bit too serious...

Also Black Mage for the win.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Johnknight predicted the Brawl roster on youtube, PERFECTLY
Oh, referencing me while I'm away I see=??? :cool:

As for my roster, I did a 45 character spread. My wrong guesses were Bowser Jr., K. Rool, Midna, Krystal, Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, Roy, Mewtwo, Geno, and Mega Man.

The only playable characters in Brawl that I didn't predict in the video (other than Olimar, who I forgot to add) that were playable in Brawl were the Pokémon Trainer and R.O.B.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Hey I'm back again.

If I'm going to bank on the most "likely" to appear in Smash 4 I would say...

Little Mac (Punch Out)
Issac (Golden Sun)
Ray MK (Custom Robo)

With Ray it would depend on Sakurai's term for "Customizable". If we are talking custom moveset/specials or something then Ray would be a great addition to that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I used to think that Slime couldn't fight, but then I remember The Blob in Clayfighter.

So that's a bullcrap statement. Whether he fits like that, or uses spells, or whatever, he's literally one of the best possible choices overall.

Also, they could make Gradius a fighting character, who can do less than Slime. Think about that for a moment. A simple space-jet fighter... that was a full fighting character. Imagination needs to be used, people.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think there'll be 45 - 50 characters but thier focus is not on character but addign new things to the smash experience. Still it'd be a waste if no characters were added.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I used to think that Slime couldn't fight, but then I remember The Blob in Clayfighter.

So that's a bullcrap statement. Whether he fits like that, or uses spells, or whatever, he's literally one of the best possible choices overall.

Also, they could make Gradius a fighting character, who can do less than Slime. Think about that for a moment. A simple space-jet fighter... that was a full fighting character. Imagination needs to be used, people.
Would you like a soapbox to go with your lecture?

Smooth Criminal

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Dragon Quest is the 3rd largest religion in Japan behind Pokémon and porn! :laugh:

But yeah, Slime can fight. It's not even a debate. Now if you question if Slime could have any "unique" special moves or a unique moveset, that's a different issue.

@ Smooth
Boys stand on soapboxes. Men stand on skyscrapers standing on boys standing on soapboxes. :shades:

D

Deleted member

Wait, the Vic Viper was in a fighting game?
I remember the Moai enemy being in a fighthing game, the same one Snake was in before Brawl, but not Vic Viper....
Though that would make for similar comparison, as all the Moai did in Gradius was lay in place and shoot energy rings.

Also, then end all argument for "wouldn't fit in a fighting game":
A Hornet from Daytona USA in Fighters Megamix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCLQq5rnwIY
(Even if the game was crap, it still proves the point.)
And apparently there's worse, there's a palm tree. (looking for video)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone hear any good (i.e. semi-verifiable) rumours latley? I heard one about there being a new F-zero at E3 along with smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom