• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
As I said before, just put me in Smash and every problem concerning the roster will be solved

You don't even need to pay any royalty fees or anything to use me cause I live in the ghetto

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know why removing the two third parties that have already been in Smash from rosters makes them more sensible. I can see why not adding any more third parties would be considered sensible, but it's not like Sonic and Snake (especially Sonic) are likely to leave. Even if they are no longer newcomers, they still would bring sales to the game, which is a very important factor. And unless there has been a major shift in the third party companies' mentality and relationship with Nintendo (which there doesn't seem to be), it would be logical that they would still be willing to let their characters be used.

I could see Snake leaving if Sony payed for exclusivity to their game, or if Kojima only wanted him in there once, but I still believe the most "sensible" prediction is that both will return, or at least Sonic.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Nintendo may have a lot of IP's to potentially use, but there is still a limit on what to do. Not to mention what character is viable varies on the person.
Let me put this into perspective for a moment by focusing solely on Nintendo characters for the moment. As most everyone is aware of upon the completion of Super Smash Bros. Brawl Masahiro Sakurai was quoted in an interview as saying that apart from Pikmin there were not many new character driven Nintendo IP's to choose from. (I believe with Nintendo Power, might have been IGN). This statement was in spite of acknowledging the existence of series like Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Jill Drozer, Legendary Starfy, Sin and Punishment, Nintendo Wars, and other obscure series; yet in spite of this he only felt compelled to include Captain Olimar for a new series. Why is this? That is a question that was asked here during that time, and remains a question to this day. Personally I have come to align with the line of thinking that says that, as far as it holds true now, first party Nintendo IP's hold the advantage over second party series. Second party series such as those listed previously have generally been less prominent, and this could be part of the problem. Out of all of the Assist Trophy characters listed on the DOJO only Saki Amamiya even appeared to have the slightest bit of interest by Sakurai (perhaps in part to his own affection towards arcade shoot em ups).

So what is my point? My premise is very simple. I do not think many of the second party characters are going to be in any better of a position than they were years ago. When you remove them from the equation what else is left? People complain whenever the idea to add more characters to existing series are brought up. It challenges the status quo of what is an acceptable limit of each series. Kirby is complete, Mother is complete, Star Fox is complete, Zelda is complete, Mario needs no more than five characters, so on and so forth. Okay, so what else then? How many new first party IP's are there that can offer a character to choose from? More poignantly series that are not going to wind up in the same category as Nintendogs or Animal Crossing? Only Xenoblade and the Wii series come to mind. Sakurai certainly isn't going to add a bunch of random retro characters to make up for perceived deficiency in the roster. What more do people want then?

One positive out of my rambling is that because of the pool being so thin it is not so farfetched to believe cuts will be minimal in the next game. The flipside is, there probably will not be a large increase of new characters either. It might be a good thing Sakurai is not challenged to just expand the roster because with the way things are headed the next game might just have the lowest roster increase in the series bar guest characters or Sakurai's new found love for B-tier series.

Sonic already has a crap crossover series that he can call home

Sonic can get cut just as easily as Snake can get cut

You can thank Killer Chris for pushing Shrimpy into action. All this means is a lot of the users that frequent that board are going to come here or go to Gamefaqs.

D

Deleted member

My dream list is completely out there. You'd be surprised by some of the choices I'd make.

@Shortiecanbrawl: Someone else wants to add Krystal in while making Wolf and Falco completely unique? Finally, someone else shares my vision for Star Fox.
Habanero said:
Krom is going to replace Ike.
Magnus is going to picked over Medusa.
Dixie Kong will not be in.
Mega Man will not be in.
Geno will defiantly not be in.

Bowser Jr. is too lame to be in the next game. That's your own opinion
Mewtwo is never coming back.
Sonic and Snake are gone.
I doubt that. Odds are for Ike and Dixie returning.
I call bull****. Why would they do that?
Don't agree with Mega Man, but I see where you're coming from there. Geno isn't impossible, but you're probably right. Agree on Sonic and Snake.
Starphoenix said:
It seems like whenever people remove third party characters out of the roster equation their Nintendo replacements usually end up being stupid choices that Sakurai has already expressed hesitancy implementing, or characters he simply will not choose.
This. Can't people just accept that Sonic and Snake will not get full replacement if they are cut? They're too unique for someone to be able to emulate their playstyle.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, they could both get cut with ease if Sakurai chooses to, but I believe there is a higher chance of Konami choosing not to include Snake again (for whatever reason) than Sega choosing not to include Sonic, or Nintendo choosing to not include either. I think both will return.

And I doubt it would be Nintendo's idea to cut characters that bring in hype and sales more than any of their own new characters. If they didn't return, I think it would be more likely that the third-party was the reason behind it.

Just speculation though, as always.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This. Can't people just accept that Sonic and Snake will not get full replacement if they are cut? They're too unique for someone to be able to emulate their playstyle.
I was kind of going in a different direction with my statement. You are not incorrect, though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I call bull****. Why would they do that?
Mewtwo is not coming back. Plain and simple. Especially if Zoroark is revealed or Lucario returns for round two. But don't worry, Mewtwo will return as a Pokeball Pokemon or a trophy.

Medusa was just a lame scapegoat. Magnus does have a better shot mainly for the fact he was a playable character in Kid Icarus: Uprising, and he and Pit are bash buddies of sorts.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Let me put this into perspective for a moment by focusing solely on Nintendo characters for the moment. As most everyone is aware of upon the completion of Super Smash Bros. Brawl Masahiro Sakurai was quoted in an interview as saying that apart from Pikmin there were not many new character driven Nintendo IP's to choose from. (I believe with Nintendo Power, might have been IGN). This statement was in spite of acknowledging the existence of series like Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Jill Drozer, Legendary Starfy, Sin and Punishment, Nintendo Wars, and other obscure series; yet in spite of this he only felt compelled to include Captain Olimar for a new series. Why is this? That is a question that was asked here during that time, and remains a question to this day. Personally I have come to align with the line of thinking that says that, as far as it holds true now, first party Nintendo IP's hold the advantage over second party series. Second party series such as those listed previously have generally been less prominent, and this could be part of the problem. Out of all of the Assist Trophy characters listed on the DOJO only Saki Amamiya even appeared to have the slightest bit of interest by Sakurai (perhaps in part to his own affection towards arcade shoot em ups).

So what is my point? My premise is very simple. I do not think many of the second party characters are going to be in any better of a position than they were years ago. When you remove them from the equation what else is left? People complain whenever the idea to add more characters to existing series are brought up. It challenges the status quo of what is an acceptable limit of each series. Kirby is complete, Mother is complete, Star Fox is complete, Zelda is complete, Mario needs no more than five characters, so on and so forth. Okay, so what else then? How many new first party IP's are there that can offer a character to choose from? More poignantly series that are not going to wind up in the same category as Nintendogs or Animal Crossing? Only Xenoblade and the Wii series come to mind. Sakurai certainly isn't going to add a bunch of random retro characters to make up for perceived deficiency in the roster. What more do people want then?

One positive out of my rambling is that because of the pool being so thin it is not so farfetched to believe cuts will be minimal in the next game. The flipside is, there probably will not be a large increase of new characters either. It might be a good thing Sakurai is not challenged to just expand the roster because with the way things are headed the next game might just have the lowest roster increase in the series bar guest characters or Sakurai's new found love for B-tier series.
Sakurai has flat out said that Smash 4 will have less newcomers than Brawl, and that there is a finite amount of characters that are worthy enough to be playable in Smash Bros. I agree with most of what you said. I think even the Mii series might not get a playable character due to Sakurai's statements regarding Wii Sports after Brawl's release (he listed it as an example of a series that did not have a main character that could be implemented in Smash Bros. alongside Nintendogs, Brain Training, and Animal Crossing).

Many people are going to be disappointed with Smash 4 due to the fact that many of the characters people are supporting are characters that Sakurai probably deems as being not important enough for playable placement. I think Sakurai should get out to de-confirming characters in round about ways (think Assist Trophies and Pokeballs) immediately this time. I also think Sakurai should go in saying that there will be less newcomers this time as well (a statement that he has only stated to the Japanese audiences).

I am still crossing my fingers for a trailer next week.

Mewtwo is not coming back. Plain and simple. Especially if Zoroark is revealed or Lucario returns for round two.
I will eat my shoe if Mewtwo does not return. That's how confident I am about Mewtwo's retrurn. I think Mewtwo is more likely to return than Lucario is to return, or for Zoroark to be added.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@Star- Not looking forward to that lol

The BIGGEST reason I think Sonic MIGHT stay is because it would be stupid to cut a character that got in almost singlehandedly due to fan request. Sonic getting cut would piss off even more people than Mewtwo getting cut ever did (and that was a lot of people)

But even then, that doesn't guarantee at all that Sonic will stay

Oh, and lol at Habanero

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
Because you're not Sakurai or any of his ragtag developers or designers.

Mewtwo is not coming back. Plain and simple. Especially if Zoroark is revealed or Lucario returns for round two. But don't worry, Mewtwo will return as a Pokeball Pokemon or a trophy.

Medusa was just a lame scapegoat. Magnus does have a better shot mainly for the fact he was a playable character in Kid Icarus: Uprising, and he and Pit are bash buddies of sorts.
And you are? What the hell makes you the authority on who is and isn't going to be in
Sm4sh?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sakurai has flat out said that Smash 4 will have less newcomers than Brawl, and that there is a finite amount of characters that are worthy enough to be playable in Smash Bros. I agree with most of what you said. I think even the Mii series might not get a playable character due to Sakurai's statements regarding Wii Sports after Brawl's release (he listed it as an example of a series that did not have a main character that could be implemented in Smash Bros. alongside Nintendogs, Brain Training, and Animal Crossing).

Many people are going to be disappointed with Smash 4 due to the fact that many of the characters people are supporting are characters that Sakurai probably deems as being not important enough for playable placement. I think Sakurai should get out to de-confirming characters in round about ways (think Assist Trophies and Pokeballs) immediately this time. I also think Sakurai should go in saying that there will be less newcomers this time as well (a statement that he has only stated to the Japanese audiences).

I am still crossing my fingers for a trailer next week.
There is another possibility. Sakurai could also go back to some of the pre-Brawl character ideas and bolster some of the existing series. Sure, people like this idea of how series should or should not be represented. If, for example, we had both Ridley and Dark Samus, would that really be such a big problem for people? Or what if we had a character liked Masked Man or Bandanna Dee versus having nobody. Not saying anything about the characters themselves but just trying to convey an idea.

Ultimately though I see the pool of characters being very shallow right now.

Shulk
Mii
Krystal
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Bowser Jr.
Waluigi
Toad
Palutena
Medusa
Mewtwo
Zoroark
Roy
Krom
Little Mac
Takamaru
Saki Amamiya
Ridley

D

Deleted member

Becuase you're not Sakurai or any of his ragtag developers.

Then explain to me why Mewtwo was planned to be in each and every single Smash game. Clearly Sakurai wants Mewtwo in Smash. Not to mention it's either 2nd or 1st in most wanted characters.

Also, I'm doubting Kid Icarus getting a third character, but if it were to be one, I would say Medusa. She currently the second most popular character request for Kid Icarus after Palutena and I see very few Magnus supporters running around.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because you're not Sakurai or any of his ragtag developers or designers.

You don't need to be Sakurai to call bull**** on a ridiculous idea like Mewtwo never coming back.

Being cut from one game doesn't mean it outweighs being far and away one of the two most requested characters in Japan (along with Roy, who I assume you would have the same opinion of), and being one of the most requested (probably top 3) in the rest of the world.

edit: If Sakurai is indeed narrowing down the amount of new playable characters (which makes sense) then I very much doubt Kid Icarus would get two new reps. The only way I could see this happening is if Medusa was added late as a semi-clone of Palutena. If Magnus is to be an original character (which he damn well better be), he won't show up in SSB4.

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
There is another possibility. Sakurai could also go back to some of the pre-Brawl character ideas and bolster some of the existing series. Sure, people like this idea of how series should or should not be represented. If, for example, we had both Ridley and Dark Samus, would that really be such a big problem for people? Or what if we had a character liked Masked Man or Bandanna Dee versus having nobody. Not saying anything about the characters themselves but just trying to convey an idea.

Ultimately though I see the pool of characters being very shallow right now.

Shulk
Mii
Krystal
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Bowser Jr.
Waluigi
Toad
Palutena
Medusa
Mewtwo
Zoroark
Roy
Krom
Little Mac
Takamaru
Saki Amamiya
Ridley
Why no Ray or Mach Rider?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Even disregarding how requested he is, how popular he is overall and how unlike the other members of Fallen Five, he is actually a completely unique character, and the fact that he is the only legendary Pokemon ever playable in Smash, just look at this:

Mewtwo= only character to be planned for ALL three games (yet he only made it in one due to being cut because of time constraints in the other two)

That alone should tell you something right there

And yes, we can have Mewtwo, Lucario and Zoroark all in one game

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Even disregarding how requested he is, how popular he is overall and how unlike the other members of Fallen Five, he is actually a completely unique character, and the fact that he is the only legendary Pokemon ever playable in Smash, just look at this:

Mewtwo= only character to be planned for ALL three games (yet he only made it in one due to being cut because of time constraints in the other two)

That alone should tell you something right there

And yes, we can have Mewtwo, Lucario and Zoroark all in one game

We could...but do we REALLY want to?

I mean, there are so many better pokemon choices

Magikarp

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai didn't say he was narrowing down anything, but it won't be the main focus. Apparently he doesn't simply want to add characters, stages, items etc. in the next game and call it a day, but instead he wants to focus more on experimenting with new concepts and game mechanics. Most notably something involving the Wii U and 3DS interacting with each other.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
All this character talk is making me excited to finish a blog project I'm working on (not for this site). Still this discussion really only says one thing to me: keep expectations low.

afk playing the original Metroid, currently in Ridley's Hideout and have all powerups, 6 energy tanks, 155 missles, and have beaten Kraid. :cool:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can't speak for Star, but until Custom Robo returns from dormancy, Ray's chances just keep decreasing. Even when he had constant games, he wasn't in the top tier of likelihood.

Mach Rider could be a viable character, but he's not the most likely. He's not nearly as requested as Takamaru (even in the west) and unless Sakurai has chosen his series to revive, I'm willing to bet Takamaru will get in before him as the retro rep.

They would both be cool characters though, and could both work in Smash. I wouldn't mind their inclusion.

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai didn't say he was narrowing down anything, but it won't be the main focus. Apparently he doesn't simply want to add characters, stages, items etc. in the next game and call it a day, but instead he wants to focus more on experimenting with new concepts and game mechanics. Most notably something involving the Wii U and 3DS interacting with each other.
Not sure if gusta.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
edit: If Sakurai is indeed narrowing down the amount of new playable characters (which makes sense) then I very much doubt Kid Icarus would get two new reps. The only way I could see this happening is if Medusa was added late as a semi-clone of Palutena. If Magnus is to be an original character (which he damn well better be), he won't show up in SSB4.
It's not a matter of narrowing down, it is a matter of not having many choices left to choose from. If you remove guest characters there are not many other ways to boost the roster significantly, especially if Sakurai is hesitant to turn towards second party series.

*see discussion on second party series

As for Mach Rider I think he is an option, but I am not trying to get into predicting what our complimentary guest character might be (if at all).

Correct.

D

Deleted member

Feebas is nowhere near as iconic as the original crap Pokemon that turns into a beast. :troll:

I used to be a big advocator (sp) of Takamaru, but I can honestly see Mach Rider getting in over him.
Sakurai stated that Mach Rider was one of his favorites. With Takamaru, it's kind of a crapshoot over what Sakurai said about him in regards to having a sequel.
And it helps that Mach Rider seemed to have recieved extra attention in Melee with the song and a redesign in his trophy appearance.

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:
I actually wouldn't mind the idea of them focusing mostly on expanding series as they've done before. For me, they would just have to add Mega Man, a new series I want to see (Isaac/Saki), and a retro character (Takamaru) and I would be fine with new series. There's still plenty of candidates left for existing series.

As for a pool, when you look at who is truly plausible, it looks pretty dried up. Right now, there are only twenty-one newcomers I feel are plausible at this very moment and he's not adding them all in:

Toad
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Ridley
Krystal
Mewtwo
Zoroark/6th gen
Samurai Goroh
Roy
Krom
Palutena
Takamaru
Duck Hunt Dog
Mach Rider
Little Mac
Isaac
Saki
Mii
Mega Man

Assuming we get fifty-three characters, that leaves us with only seven characters from this list and that's not even taking into account potential cuts. Since I doubt Sonic and Snake, more like five.

Considering a skinny pool like this is why I'm preparing for a roster smaller than my prediction.

D

Deleted member

Goroh has plenty of manliness to go around. :troll:

Not sure if I should make fat jokes with him...I don't know that many fat people with pecs. :laugh: Glandular disorder, maybe?

D

Deleted member

Kirby isn't manly, he's brutal and insane. I mean, he kills people over a PIECE OF CAKE.

Starfy? Meh. So what if he can push the moon? Captain Falcon blows up galaxies. Mach Rider explodes into millions of pieces and reforms. Snake is well..., Snake. Starfy can't compare to them. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
By narrowing down I meant decreasing the amount of newcomers compared to how many were added in Brawl. Which Sakurai has already said he is going to do. Although apparently he's only said that to Japanese audiences. Sorry if I didn't say it very well. :embarrass:

It's not a matter of narrowing down, it is a matter of not having many choices left to choose from. If you remove guest characters there are not many other ways to boost the roster significantly, especially if Sakurai is hesitant to turn towards second party series.
I guess I gave a totally different meaning than I thought when I used the word narrowing. I agree with you, which I why for a while I have suspected and said that the amount of new characters per Smash will gradually decrease (due to diminishing amount of significant characters), starting with this one.

Sorry again if I gave the wrong message.
Just when I thought I had English down. :laugh:

No love for Feebas? :urg:
There should be a Pokemon Trainer that uses Magikarp, Feebas, and Stunfisk. :troll:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I actually wouldn't mind the idea of them focusing mostly on expanding series as they've done before. For me, they would just have to add Mega Man, a new series I want to see (Isaac/Saki), and a retro character (Takamaru) and I would be fine with new series. There's still plenty of candidates left for existing series.

As for a pool, when you look at who is truly plausible, it looks pretty dried up. Right now, there are only twenty-one newcomers I feel are plausible at this very moment and he's not adding them all in:

Toad
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Ridley
Krystal
Mewtwo
Zoroark/6th gen
Samurai Goroh
Roy
Krom
Palutena
Takamaru
Duck Hunt Dog
Mach Rider
Little Mac
Isaac
Saki
Mii
Mega Man

Assuming we get fifty-three characters, that leaves us with only seven characters from this list and that's not even taking into account potential cuts. Since I doubt Sonic and Snake, more like five.

Considering a skinny pool like this is why I'm preparing for a roster smaller than my prediction.
Duck Hunt Dog does not belong up there in any way shape or form. I wouldn't put Isaac up there, instead you'd be better off putting Shulk up there. Megaman (and other third party characters) need to be considered independently from the Nintendo characters.

By narrowing down I meant decreasing the amount of newcomers compared to how many were added in Brawl. Which Sakurai has already said he is going to do. Although apparently he's only said that to Japanese audiences. Sorry if I didn't say it very well. :embarrass:

I guess I gave a totally different meaning than I thought when I used the word narrowing. I agree with you, which I why for a while I have suspected and said that the amount of new characters per Smash will gradually decrease (due to diminishing amount of significant characters), starting with this one.

Sorry again if I gave the wrong message.
Just when I thought I had English down. :laugh:
You're fine, it is no big deal. Just clarifying my previous comments.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kirby isn't manly, he's brutal and insane. I mean, he kills people over a PIECE OF CAKE.

Starfy? Meh. So what if he can push the moon? Captain Falcon blows up galaxies. Mach Rider explodes into millions of pieces and reforms. Snake is well..., Snake. Starfy can't compare to them. :troll:
Mario kills people for some cake too

Peach's cake

JPW

Smash Ace
Sonic getting cut would piss me off especially. He is my no.2 main. Right after Marth.

I know all of Sonic's tricks, and i love it when i do a spring kill.
The only thing i want is a stronger impact effect on his moves.

As for Ike/Krom business. Why not have both? Fire Emblem is at the spot where there should be 3 characters now.
Here's hoping for FE: Awakening coming to australia.

Dixie: please don't make her part of Diddy. I'm just starting out with Diddy. He is so cool. I could see Dxie, but there's a better chance of an assist.

I can actually see them dumping Snake now. You have put it into perspective quite well. He might even end up on Sony Smash Bros. instead lol. (this could also happen to Sonic.)

Shulk: I see a high possibility. His popularity has shot up quite high and can help push Xenoblade sales. I also see him joining the roster moreso than Zael and Aeron.

Ridley: I see quite a few complications with this. Then again they made a moveset for Charizard. Anything can be possible.

Bowser Jr.: I'd rather see the Koopa Kids before Bowser Jr. anyday. At least the Koopa Kids had a sense of humour.

Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow: I think we need a second F-zero character. As long as it's one of these two i'm happy.

Isaac: is to me, the only definite right now for newcomers. It's either him or Matthew.

Megaman: Capcom hasn't been so high on him as of late. I think we have better chance of seeing Leon(RE) or Ryu(SF) or even the dog from Okami. Megaman does fit Smash Bros. more, but i just can't see Capcom pushing for him.

Those are my latest thoughts anyway.

Also i know it's a longshot, but i would love this game so much if Alex from GS made the roster.

D

Deleted member

Mario kills people for some cake too

Peach's cake
Well you see, that's different.
That's a whole cake baked by Peach. It's worth it. :mario: And he gets a kiss on the nose too.

But Kirby....did all that over one slice of strawberry cheesecake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom