• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
A man chooses what he must do in life himself, and does not let others tell him what he may or may not do. So too, does he choose how he wishes to dress. These decisions are made with PRIDE, and so it should be no surprise that words of disagreement can not break that spirit. If Saki or Cilan wishes to dress as Elesa, if a certain man wishes to hold/wear heels and a black miniskirt, THEN SO BE IT! IT CAN'T BE HELPED. THE ONLY THING TO DO IS TO APPRECIATE YOUR FELLOW STRONG SPIRITED BRETHREN.

D

Deleted member

I just thought of something.

Sakurai didn't think any of the popular 2nd Gen Pokemon were feasible. What if that's the same deal with 5th Gen?

I mean, 2nd Gen had plenty of Pokemon feasible to us, like Heracross and Scizor. But if they didn't seem feasible to Sakurai, how would say, Zoroark, Victini, Meloetta, or Genesect fare?

Could it really just be Mewtwo's Return and that's it?
Or would this possibly be Meowth's chance? Or would even Meowth seem unfeasible?

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Sakurai didn't think any of the popular 2nd Gen Pokemon were feasible. What if that's the same deal with 5th Gen?

I mean, 2nd Gen had plenty of Pokemon feasible to us, like Heracross and Scizor. But if they didn't seem feasible to Sakurai, how would say, Zoroark, Victini, Meloetta, or Genesect fare?

Or would this possibly be Meowth's chance? Or would even Meowth seem unfeasible?
That's tough to say what he was thinking (I do think he made the right move though), but I don't think it was feasibility (just a hunch) . The fact that he gave Heracross and Scizor trophies (the latter a Pokeball as well) does show that he was aware of their popularity. Kinda the same with Blaziken, Darkrai, and Gardevoir in Brawl.

Just my guess, but I think it was character, at least for Lucario (Movie 8 probably the most well received Pokemon film (I think it was nominated for a few awards), among other reasons). Pichu was added as filler, while Mewtwo is Mewtwo.

I think Zoroark (for many reasons) and maybe Victini and Meloetta are fine (Victini because of his one appearance in a movie and only one chapter of the manga, Meloetta we know nothing about, but seems big). Genesect is dead until his reveal.

Mewtwo is Mewtwo. Sakurai obviously wants him. We want him too.

Meowth never had a chance. No requests, pretty sure he has a hate base due the anime, not really notable outside it either, mostly sits around in the anime as well (never really fights). "Waits for Arcadenik to rage or use his opinion excuse again"

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Meowth WAS going to have his own spin-off game.
I bet if it wasn't cancelled, his chances would've been increased dramatically. Maybe even for Melee.

But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Roster was just:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario

MAYBES:
Victini (If Masuda wants his favorite in to rep Gen 5) OR Meloetta (If Sakurai decides to go with a Pokemon that is (or will be, in this case) heavily promoted like when he thought of Pichu)
Pichu (If Sakurai feels like bringing him back due to all the promotions and buzz for a while) (Biggest longshot; bigger than even Dr. Mario.)

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I just looked up Meowth's Party, turns out it's an old ending theme to the Pokemon anime. But a music video was done, and a few people guessed because it used/looked liked it used Gamecube graphics that it would be a game. It was never shown in the US.

Tough to cancel a game that was never planned or even in development. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have a feeling that some of the popular 2nd gen Pokemon really were unfeasible, such as Lugia, Suicune, or Entei. These could be the ones Sakurai was referring to. I recall those three were quite popular back then.

I doubt that problem would arise for the 5th gen. While popular pokemon like Reshiram, Zekrom, and Chandelure wouldn't work, there are Pokemon both popular and feasible, that Game Freak would probably suggest (or demand), and have been (or will be) used heavily in promotion. I think Zoroark, Victini, Genesect, and Meloetta could all fit this category.

And I don't know why Zoroark isn't on that list of maybes. He has as much going for him as the other two fifth gens.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
IF we were to get another 1st gen, it should be Blastoise

Meowth would be cool as a playable character but c'mon now, who would pass up the opportunity to have Charizard vs Blastoise in Smash instead

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Waaah? Well it shows Thanatos from Uprising, and I can see it so that is good enough. XD

Second Generation, and this isn't going to be a popular view, just isn't all that interesting. It is very similar to style with the first, however, it doesn't have that same spark, like the essence is gone but the style remained (almost like they are the first generation pokemon that didn't make the cut). The third got some good polish and unity with the style though, definitely the highest point in that sense I think. Then fourth and fifth dropped off in style and polish, hell, you can tell when you see a fourth and fifth generation depending just on how poor the style and polish is, the lack of unity IS their unity. XD

We need to access the first because it is the original, the third because of how well they did, and with the fifth because it is contemporary. Second is plain, fourth is plain ugly and not contemporary anymore, and sixth is too far off.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I just looked up Meowth's Party, turns out it's an old ending theme to the Pokemon anime. But a music video was done, and a few people guessed because it used/looked liked it used Gamecube graphics that it would be a game. It was never shown in the US.

Tough to cancel a game that was never planned or even in development. :troll:
It aired on Kids WB and was also on Pokemon Channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4WC9Mh4HaA

D

Deleted member

She also has something going against her; how she would work. Would Sakurai know how to properly execute Zoroark's signature? (The Illusion, I mean)
And also the fact that she's not very wanted. Sure, she's expected, but if you ask someone whether they wanted her or not, you're most likely going to hear "no" since people fear that Lucario would be replaced by her.

EDIT: Also, Scizor was really popular then too (Sakurai mentions this in it's trophy), and same with Heracross, who, IIRC, was the most requested 2nd Gen Pokemon. (Outside of the pre-Melee polls, since the 2nd Generation wasn't released at that time, so people only knew of Togepi, Lugia, Slowking, etc.)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Holder, who cares whether your opinion will be a popular view or not

Just say what you gotta say, my man

Although, IMO, I think 2nd gen was the best of them all

2nd gen introduced Houndoom, Espeon, Umbreon, Tyranitar, the legendary beasts and Feraligatr

Nothing more needs to be said

D

Deleted member

I think Mewtwo is a near sure bet to return. Still being promoted and is probably the most wanted newcomer.

As for a 5th/6th gen Pokemon newcomer, I'd say the chances of Sakurai adding one in are much greater than during the 2nd gen. The mascot of the 2nd gen was a baby Pokemon, not someone Sakurai wants to waste his spot on, so the only reason why Pichu got in was because he was a quick clone. 5th gen (assuming it gets a rep) already has a couple of possibilities. Zoroark, who is the mascot of the 5th gen, is the most likely 5th gen rep right now to be picked by the Pokemon Company, but I could also see Meloetta getting in if it becomes heavily promoted, prominent in the second season of the anime, and Sakurai takes note of their transformation (remember he does like the idea of transformations). Genesect could also be a possibility if it becomes considerably a more popular request than Zoroark and if he is heavily promoted. Unfortunately, Victini never had a chance and has nothing going for it (still bummed out about even supporting him in the first place).

Now between 5th/6th gen and Mewtwo, I'd say the former is more likely if only one of them could get in, but I think we'll get both along with keeping Brawl's Pokemon roster.

As for Meowth having a chance, I feel now is not his time. Maybe SSB5 if the roster isn't refreshed?

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
And I don't know why Zoroark isn't on that list of maybes. He has as much going for him as the other two fifth gens.
Mostly promotional stuff:

Pretty much had two events
Several appearances in the anime as Zorua
Several appearances in the manga
Appeared in promotional art for BW2 along side Lucario
etc.

Victini has done all of that but to a lesser extent. Meloetta though, I wouldn't be surprised it started to get on equal ground with Zoroark thanks to the anime.

@Kuma: It did? I'm surprised by that, watching it though, makes me dislike Meowth even more (looks creepy). I do find it weird that people mistook that for Gamecube graphics, they look more like the 64 or maybe Dreamcast.

@Holder: Don't worry I agree with you. GSC were amazing games, but to be honest the quality of the Pokemon designs weren't very good IMO. I do disagree with you on Gen 4, and to some extent on Gen 5 though.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Illusion could work maybe like entering the game with a different character's model that could potentially confuse opponents with standard move hit boxes and such. Either that or it could be a Special move where you do that temporarily. It might be ugly and a bad idea, just typing what I think of.

And yeah Metal, not going to lie that there are some legit Pokemon in that generation, some good gems. What I said was looking at them as a whole, and their overall construction themes, the generations themselves. Second generation definitely has some cool pokes, better than a lot of what the fifth and fourth have in most cases, in terms of isolating particular pokemon

All of them have their gems though, don't get me wrong, if that's what you think I meant Lord Triple Dash.

For example, in the second gen, Scizor is a beautiful pokemon stand alone, and would honestly even be a bit interesting in Smash Brothers despite I'd prefer if he didn't get in. Heracross is kind of neat, though wouldn't fit nearly as well.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
GSC Pokemon designs had more of a consistent style to them. That was when the "Pokemon style" became more refined. Perhaps that is what people preferred in the first generation. Nothing looked "like a Pokemon." They were just more natural. As though they were creatures you might encounter within the mysterious adventure waiting to unfold in the tall grass.

Except Electrode.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Illusion could work maybe like entering the game with a different character's model that could potentially confuse opponents with standard move hit boxes and such. Either that or it could be a Special move where you do that temporarily. It might be ugly and a bad idea, just typing what I think of.

All of them have their gems though, don't get me wrong, if that's what you think I meant Lord Triple Dash.

For example, Scizor is a beautiful pokemon stand alone, and would honestly even be a bit interesting in Smash Brothers despite I'd prefer if he didn't get in. Heracross is kind of neat, though wouldn't fit nearly as well.
Hit box confusion? That would be odd, certainly would make Zoroark the hardest character to master and counter against. Certainly would be the ultimate mindgame character.

Each Gen has their good and bad points. IMO though: 1 > 3=4 > 2=5

Also Lord? :laugh:

D

Deleted member

My opinion: 2>1>3>4

Haven't played 5th gen and quite frankly, can't muster up interest for it.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
As a HUGE nostalgiatard and fan of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gens, I gotta say that it irritates me when I hear people say stuff like, "5th gen is stupid because they're making ice cream Pokemon now, 1st gen FTW"

As stupid as that ice cream Pokemon is, it's just as dumb to insult an entire generation of Pokemon just because of some ****-looking Pokemon designs. Regardless of those, the games are still good games, and plus, it's not like the other gens haven't had their share of stupid looking Pokemon, too (yes, even 1st gen). I'm not crazy about the new gens but it's for reasons other than just the designs of the Pokemon (mainly because I got burned out on Pokemon after Diamond)

4th gen is way worse when it comes to Pokemon designs, anyway. I can seriously only think of like 5 Pokemon I liked from 4th gen

/justmytwocents

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
D

Deleted member

@Metal Overlord: To be fair, I never really complained about 5th gen designs, but I do agree that each gen has their good and their bad Pokemon. A good Pokemon would be Scrafty, a bad one would be the ice cream cone monster Pokemon.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm disappointed to see that it has always been about who's likely instead of what do individuals want. This is why I hate Pokemon discussion.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
GSC Pokemon designs had more of a consistent style to them. That was when the "Pokemon style" became more refined. Perhaps that is what people preferred in the first generation. Nothing looked "like a Pokemon." They were just more natural. As though they were creatures you might encounter within the mysterious adventure waiting to unfold in the tall grass.

Except Electrode.
Huh, wow Oasis that is actually a pretty good analysis of the second generation, that describes that feeling I was getting perfectly. It didn't have a Pokemon identity, just animal like things given Pokemon forms. *applauds*

Hit box confusion? That would be odd, certainly would make Zoroark the hardest character to master and counter against. Certainly would be the ultimate mindgame character.
So it isn't really a bad idea? Huh. It would certainly be very interesting at least. Curious to see how much of an effect it would have against people that the animations and hit boxes don't match up.

And yes Lord. :laugh: Considering you are the one with the information that contributes the most around here, you might as well be considered of a high status.

As a HUGE nostalgiatard and fan of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gens, I gotta say that it irritates me when I hear people say stuff like, "5th gen is stupid because they're making ice cream Pokemon now, 1st gen FTW"

As stupid as that ice cream Pokemon is, it's just as dumb to insult an entire generation of Pokemon just because of some ****-looking Pokemon designs. Regardless of those, the games are still good games, and plus, it's not like the other gens haven't had their share of stupid looking Pokemon, too (yes, even 1st gen). I'm not crazy about the new gens but it's for reasons other than just the designs of the Pokemon (mainly because I got burned out on Pokemon after Diamond)

4th gen is way worse when it comes to Pokemon designs, anyway. I can seriously only think of like 5 Pokemon I liked from 4th gen

/justmytwocents
Oh no worries, I agree with you. I found those who got upset over ice cream and garbage Pokemon were being a bit nitpicky, it takes very little for me to accept a Pokemon concept, why shouldn't there be Pokemon of a bunch of things, that is kind of the point of the Pokemon universe to me. My problem with the fifth generation is that while the second and fourth kind of added mostly to the first and/or previous generations (I hated how the fourth was almost all big fat versions of the classic pokemon, not that I don't appreciate the stat upgrades, but there was so much that the fourth had very little original to offer) the fifth was to be like the third, and the third was so well made in consistency and form, and the fifth lacked that amazing unity, and thus paled compared as a whole to the more stand alone generations such as the first and third.

Though honestly, in terms of the fifth generation Pokemon performance wise, has some really STRONG Pokes, it is hard for me not to put a few from that generation in my team. In fact it annoys me, I try to represent all of them pretty evenly. XDD

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm disappointed to see that it has always been about who's likely instead of what do individuals want. This is why I hate Pokemon discussion.
I personally thought it was supposed to be the other way around, likely over what one character on a person's dream roster. lol

Certainly gets off topic quickly though and is full of emotion, that's why I dislike Pokemon discussion. This discussion probably belongs in the Pokemon Center threads now.

As a side note though, I am curious to see everyone's results in this.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
She also has something going against her; how she would work. Would Sakurai know how to properly execute Zoroark's signature? (The Illusion, I mean)
And also the fact that she's not very wanted. Sure, she's expected, but if you ask someone whether they wanted her or not, you're most likely going to hear "no" since people fear that Lucario would be replaced by her.
Well, other than Holder's ideas (which were good), if Illusion was a special move perhaps it could give Zoroark the ability to mimic some of the character's A moves as well as appearance, sort of like a reverse Kirby. Sure, it wouldn't cause as many mind games, as opponents could see Zoroark use Illusion and change, but it would still remain fairly faithful to the ability. Plus even if we can't come up with a good use for Illusion, I doubt Sakurai would be unable to.

Secondly, I don't get where this lack of popularity people claim Zoroark has. She appears on most popularity polls (that include 5th gen), and is higher than Victini on a good deal of them. She might not be that popular here, but we are just a tiny sample size.

If Lucario were to be replaced, it wouldn't be because of Zoroark specifically. Any fifth gen rep could hypothetically replace Lucario, as a fifth-gen newcomer will most likely be given priority over Lucario. People who think that Zoroark would replace Lucario due to similar body structure are thinking irrationally, he would be replaced due to lack of time, given the fifth-gen will most likely be added first, if the Pokemon Company has anything to say about it. It could very well be Victini or Meloetta that "replaces" Lucario, it wouldn't only happen because of Zoroark. It's the same as people who think Lucario specifically replaced Mewtwo. Mewtwo was cut because of time constraints and would've been replaced by any Pokemon, it's just coincidence they have a few similar moves and similar body structure.

Lastly, the issue was why she wasn't included as a "maybe". Even if she is just expected and not actually desired, that still means she is expected. If she is expected, then that obviously means she would be a "maybe", whether people believe it is warranted or not. I think that most of us can agree that if 5th gen gets repped, Zoroark is one of the most likely choices (at least top 3).

Sorry the reply took a while, my sunnavabich computer randomly shut down while I was typing it out. Had to retype everything. :glare:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Having visually deceiving hitboxes is something that can and will go horribly wrong in the long run. Honestly, I can't think of how the Illusion thing could work except for one possibility, and you guys aren't gonna like it. There's an Eldritch Abomination named Double in Skullgirls. She takes the form of a nun outside of battle, but turns into this when in battle:

Every attack of hers consists of animations from other characters that went unused and even includes three characters that haven't been made playable for one of her Blockbusters. This is the only way I can think of that could utilize Illusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom