• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hey guys, I played Mario Party 9 at Gamestop and then Target the same day (Gamestop while killing time, and Target while looking for a yellow shirt), and I found it to be really fun and plan on getting it at some point.

But, I want to know, are any of the other Mario Parties (console ones, I mean) any good and worth getting as well?
I mean, aside from Mario Party 1 and 3, since they aren't on VC (and 1 had that control stick problem...), would the others be worth looking into?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The creator of Fable recently stated in an ign interview that he found the Wii U to be a bit lackluster.

Coming from the guy who made Fable 2, 3, and working on that god awful Kinect game.

Seriously, he is making Journey because he feels the appeal of the Fable games is that YOU are playing, and that with the kinect it can be even more "you-er" basically. Too bad people don't actually play the game because we imagine the character to be us, we play because we can do whatever we want with out characters and customize them a little. And most importantly, so we can go around slaughtering people, stealing their things, vandalizing their homes, and sleeping with women. :awesome:

Edit: Pretty much Mario Parties 1-5 are excellent.

yani

Smash Lord
Mario Party 2 gets a lot of praise (I'm assuming you don't have it already) as well as Mario Party 4 & 5. I didn't enjoy 6,7, or 8 though.

D

Deleted member

Did you find the yellow shirt?
Not at Target. I went to Kmart and found a better yellow shirt than the one I labeled as a "last resort" at Target, and even found pruple sweat pants to go with it. (It was for a presentation at my Theater class; I was Wario.)

D

Deleted member

Mario Party 2 gets a lot of praise (I'm assuming you don't have it already) as well as Mario Party 4 & 5. I didn't enjoy 6,7, or 8 though.
I've been hearing good things about 2 and 4 as well, and I think I even played 4 a long time ago at a friend's house.

Haven't heard much about 5. 6 and 7 has that microphone thing, so that may be off-limits, and 8, I heard has a bunch of Wiimote shaking and prattling, which I don't enjoy. (Even if it supposedly has a soda "jacking off" minigame).

EDIT: SORRY, DOUBLE POST.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Do people get a rise out of constantly commenting on how cyclic this thread is or something

Anyway, Golden, I would personally recommend Mario Party 4 and 5. I thought those had the most fun minigames and the best boards, so you should give those games at least a try if you have a GCN

You don't need the microphone to play Mario Party 7 BTW, I didn't have one and could still play it. I didn't really like it all that much, though

:phone:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
MP8 is one of the worst if not THE worst. I was so depressed by having wasted my money on that crap.. I do agree with you that 9 is pretty decent if you just want to have a good time with some friends.

D

Deleted member

I have both a Wii and a GCN, so I guess I will consider them.

So so far I'm planning:
Mario Party 2 (VC)
Mario Party 3 (Whenever it comes on VC)
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 9 (Personal experience)

Avoid:
Mario Party 1 (Not on VC, and has stick problems)
Mario Party 6 (Microphone and boring?)
Mario Party 7 (Microphone and boring?)
Mario Party 8 (WAGGLEWAGGLEWAGGLEWAGGLEWAGGLE)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
My friend wore a yellow shirt once. He was attacked by flies. They were all over him and teachers had to come pat him down. I guess he looked like a giant banana or something. I don't think he wears yellow shirts anymore.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The most awkward amazing feeling in the world is what you feel when you play the soda shaking mini-game in Mario Party 8.

[COLLAPSE="Shake shake~"]
[/COLLAPSE]

:awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The creator of Fable recently stated in an ign interview that he found the Wii U to be a bit lackluster.

Coming from the guy who made Fable 2, 3, and working on that god awful Kinect game.
It's such a shame that now we probably won't get any games where you run around in circles waiting for your idiot dog to find the buried treasure. :rolleyes:

Or games where you make friends with and boss around a kid because you don't have any friends of your own (the Molyneux special) :awesome:

Seriously, the second half of Fable 3 was basically a game about politics and accounting. Something everybody who plays a medieval fantasy-based game wants. :facepalm:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
8 is actually pretty fun. 1 is still good regardless, but I'd look for a 3rd Party controller with a metal stick.

6 is actually fun. Albeit, not that greatest ever. 7 is okay, but it has up to 8 players at once. ;)

For the most part, your plans are pretty good. I don't personally recommend 4, but that's because you have to mash the A button in a huge amount of games.

Advanced and DS are debateable. Advanced was kind of meh. DS might be good.

D

Deleted member

With 1, I can't play it anyway, due to not being on VC. (I don't have a N64.)
I rarely have 8 people ready to play a game at once, so I wouldn't worry about 7.
Mashing the A button is more favorable than Wiimote stuff, so I'd personally choose 4 over 8 (that, and I played 4 before long ago).
6, I might consider, but not on my high end of priorities.
And I'm not looking at the handhelds.

yani

Smash Lord
I didn't find 4 to be too hot myself, but it's definitely one of the better ones. Also Golden, you may want to check out Wii Party. Haven't played it myself but I heard it's a really good party game with the Mii's

D

Deleted member

I was just thinking about that as well, but how is it compared to the antics of Mario Party?

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I didn't even bother playing the third after having read reviews and being disappointing in Fable 2

The beginning of Fable 2 had me insane over the game, then I got stuck in a game breaking glitch so I had to start over halfway through. I was angry, but it took a few days to finally start over because I was excited to play it. Then after having gotten past that halfway point I found out that it just turned into a pile of crap. Bad magic system, bad demon doors, very little to do with your character. Oh, and the entire time you can't even die.

Peter, you wouldn't know a good thing in gaming if it took you into the Temple of Shadows and turned the Wheel of Unholy Misfortune.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nope, just two generic Toads.

Toad himself, that is, the main Toad, is not playable in every game that "Toad" is playable in. I don't know why people just can't grasp that.

He IS only playable in the appropriate Mario Parties, Karts, Golf, Tennis(not playable in the first Golf, mind you, for the 64), Super Mario Bros. 2, Wario's Woods, and that's about it. He hasn't been playable in a "main game"(if you will) since Wario's Woods(if you count that as a main game). I don't think he was in every single spinoff either, like the Mario Teaches Typing game(s). I can't remember if he was in Mario is Missing(which is a Luigi game, heh).

Mind you, nowhere have I been saying he shouldn't be playable in Smash or that he can't borrow from his brethren for moves. I've only asked, like once, to see a moveset without using NSMBWii, just to see how original people can be. BTW, he's an NPC in that game.
Argh! Why is it so important to you that Toad not use any moves from New Super Mario Bros. Wii just because the main Toad is not playable in that game?

Well, what about Yoshi? The main Yoshi is not playable in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, and Yoshi's Island DS. The main Yoshi was not born yet until the very end in Yoshi's Island DS, mind you! And yet we have the main Yoshi borrowing moves from the generic Yoshis such as Egg Throw (Up+B), Yoshi Bomb (Down+B), Flutter Kicks (Aerial Down+A). The main Yoshi's Final Smash in Brawl was from Super Mario World where the main Yoshi actually grew wings to fly around and could breathe fireballs.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was just thinking about that as well, but how is it compared to the antics of Mario Party?
Well, as I said, 4 is fun. However, getting everything is quite a pain.

Anyway, 2 and 3 are both excellent games. No complaints there. 5 has a lot to collect, but it's not difficult, and it has a tank mini-game that allows you to fight people/computers in general.(well, it's the main focus beyond the regular game)

Overall, you picked the best choices. I'd put 4 on the lower scale, IMO.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
2,3, and 5 are the best MPs IMO. 9 is ok but definetly not what I expected and could be skipped over. Wii party is decent and in some ways better than 9 but it still doesn't capture the same magic some of the earlier MP titles had.

Metal you could be right. I guess we'll see when e3 is here of the wii u is worth getting hyped over.

:phone:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I just want a new one, though.

Although a remake of F-Zero X on the 3DS would be cool with a new version for the Wii U.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I stopped caring about Mario Party games after Mario Party 4. Same old, same old... it got boring to me.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: I am currently not expecting a trailer for E3 2012.

@augustoflores: Dang it, wish that could be true.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I have both a Wii and a GCN, so I guess I will consider them.

So so far I'm planning:
Mario Party 2 (VC)
Mario Party 3 (Whenever it comes on VC)
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 9 (Personal experience)

Avoid:
Mario Party 1 (Not on VC, and has stick problems)
Mario Party 6 (Microphone and boring?)
Mario Party 7 (Microphone and boring?)
Mario Party 8 (WAGGLEWAGGLEWAGGLEWAGGLEWAGGLE)
I will say that 3 is really good. 2 kind of sucks in retrospective because how slow the game is. 6 is also one of the best. 5 sucks too. I can go into, but 6 is just a better version of 5.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I've been gone for soooo long. My Internet is down, so I have to use this laptop.
Soooo... I saw the Avengers in 3D on Sunday, and also, here's some new Marvel news:
  • Hulk has been confirmed for T2, IM3, and CA2.
  • Samuel L. Jackson has signed onto ten more Marvel movies.
  • A new Hulk movie is being considered.
  • There is also some consideration for a new Fantastic Four movie, since the last one blew.
  • Loki is appearing in T2.
  • Lizard is the villain in The Amazing Spider-Man.
Also, a new Asylum game for Batman.
Oh, and that was Thanatos at the end of The Avengers trailer, Just wanted to say that because somone thought it was Red Skull.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
OH! You know what else I can do at E3? I can test drive the Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, game to see how it stacks to smash bros. Then I can tell you guys about it... and stuff...

19 more days... the wait is excruciating.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
It's Co-balsh. Emphasis on the "-ballsh". Also, yes, that's what I meant. Who's Thanatos? Some Marvel character, I'm sure. AGH! I used to know this stuff!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Cobalsh, Thanatos is the god of death. He is rumored to work under Medusa, and has a very humorous personality. :laugh:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Oooooohhhhh. Yeah. Damn, I used to know this stuff. Now it's all...*fart noise as brain shuts down*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom