• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's what you get when you ignore the facts and keep pushing us with it like we should care about it. It's also why you lost followers to your cause, Diddy. Quit while you're ahead and just drop the Sheik/Impa issue. We're entirely tired of it.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It doesn't take long for this thread to derail anymore. :\

3 1/2 weeks until E3, and hopefully some new things to actually discuss.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
If she was any good, she wouldn't need to "hold out", nor would she fail. :troll:
Totally agree with this.

Holder just took a fabulous dump on Impa.
Absolutely agree with this.

That's what you get when you ignore the facts and keep pushing us with it like we should care about it. It's also why you lost followers to your cause, Diddy. Quit while you're ahead and just drop the Sheik/Impa issue. We're entirely tired of it.
I am moreso tired of the same topics at this point. If I feel this way, I can't imagine the rest of you guys who have been around much longer.

It doesn't take long for this thread to derail anymore. :\

3 1/2 weeks until E3, and hopefully some new things to actually discuss.
Don't worry, E3 should definitely supply us with post rations to keep us alive here. Soooo pumped for what is to be revealed and Pikmin 3. GIVE ME MY PIKMIN IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
E3 should hold us over until Fall, which is when we have the earliest opportunity to see any kind of information pertaining to Super Smash Bros. 4's development.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only possible reason for Peach to change that move is because of that, I would think. We've had it two times now, and it just doesn't seem right to change it. Honestly, if Toad gets in, I think the best move is probably change the Toad into Toadsworth or something.

Though, a Super Princess Peach move replacement might be better, I just don't know about changing a character that has been established so far. Only Ganondorf in my mind should be altered further, but even some semblance of what he used to be wouldn't be too bad.
Mario's Tatsu was moved to his DAir while FLUDD (ugh) became his Down B.

And characters get changed in other games all the time. Smash isn't magically excempt from that rule. Thing is, the changes between Smash games have been more subtle, changing the properties of moves than flat out changing them so the changes aren't as obvious. The changes in Smash Bros. characters is like comparing the 3rd Strike cast to their SF4 incarnations.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Mario's Tatsu was moved to his DAir while FLUDD (ugh) became his Down B.

And characters get changed in other games all the time. Smash isn't magically excempt from that rule. Thing is, the changes between Smash games have been more subtle, changing the properties of moves than flat out changing them so the changes aren't as obvious. The changes in Smash Bros. characters is like comparing the 3rd Strike cast to their SF4 incarnations.
Yeah, Mario's move was transferred and a new one was given. No move was taken out. But my point is that it is a rare occurrence, and the people who play the game could easily be upset by having one of the characters impacted too much that they might think he or she was "ruined" or something to that effect.

At any rate, I merely pointed out within that post is that it wouldn't seem too right to make changes, not that they couldn't happen. I even suggested a way that it could happen and work.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, Mario's move was transferred and a new one was given. No move was taken out. But my point is that it is a rare occurrence, and the people who play the game could easily be upset by having one of the characters impacted too much that they might think he or she was "ruined" or something to that effect.

At any rate, I merely pointed out within that post is that it wouldn't seem too right to make changes, not that they couldn't happen. I even suggested a way that it could happen and work.
No, he lost his old DAir.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That's what I said, he got one transferred and a new one replaced where the transferred move was. Regardless, that seems to pale in comparison to the loss of a Special move. Cus you know, those are special.

A bit beside the point, however. I'm off again until some interest--

I CAN GO TO E3?! *clicks on link*

Wait, nevermind, I have don't even have an account on IGN, doubt someone who blatantly jumped in at the last second could post something worthy, let alone be considered. I'm off~

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally, (excluding Smash) I am most excited for whatever Retro's working on, whether it's Starfox, F-Zero, Metroid, a new IP, or something else. I'm playing through the Prime games and DKCR again, man those games were awesome.

I'd also love to see what new IP Miyamoto is cooking up.

Seriously, you are over thinking this.
I guess my main point is, anyway you look at it, Sakurai gave a different answer to this question than he did about his other games. How much speculation this warrants I suppose would be subjective, but as he also controls the majority of the content in Smash, it will be interesting to see how he treats the relation between these two series in the following years, and not just with SSB4, especially if no new Kid Icarus games are made.

And I think over-thinking is a very common problem throughout this entire thread. :laugh:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well, I don't know... not sure what I'd blog about. :embarrass: I mean, I'd really love to go and I'd try really hard to write something but.. what could I possibly offer? e_e Grr

They do say to just write about why you should be picked, not sure what I'd write, but I could perhaps think about something I can pull out of my ***.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
everyone... i want you to do this blog thing... that includes you; Oasis, JohnKnight, Oppossum, SSBF, Chrono...

(don't make me go alone T___T)

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I have acquired a vast inventory of gifs and Ghirahim pictures to use on this site, so I could do that. I could call it "This is Why I Should Win the Contest" and then post all of them in the blog and that's it.

The *** shaking one could probably achieve victory alone.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This. If I like a character, that's all the reason I need to support them in Smash or wouldn't mind seeing them playable in Smash even if I don't expect most of them to be playable or do I actively support most of them:
Exactly. That is why we so passionately support the characters in question and why we so adamantly defend them. We feel a connection with these characters fans of non-crossover fighting games don't feel with their characters.

Also, I would like to add that while I like characters like Bowser Jr., Toad, and Deoxys, I don't think they would necessarily be the most original or exciting characters. On the flip side, I can't stand Krystal as a character, but I would be lying to you if I said she wouldn't be an original and exciting character to play as.
Third Party characters are different. While I would like to see them playable in Smash, I will not be upset if any of them did not get in Smash... simply because they are third-party characters and Smash is primarily a Nintendo All-Star game.
I agree with this point, with my lone exception being Mega Man for self-evidence reasons.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Deoxys would be very original and exciting if his form changes were worked into his moveset.

But overall I definitely agree with you.

D

Deleted member

E3 should hold us over until Fall, which is when we have the earliest opportunity to see any kind of information pertaining to Super Smash Bros. 4's development.
If what is likely to happen for E3 2012 is any indication, I don't see anything changing. F-zero isn't getting a revival yet, Star Fox probably missed it's chance at a Retro revival (unfortunately), and I have a gut feeling that Miyamoto's and Retro's new IP will not get in as playable characters. Not to mention I doubt Pikmin 3 is going to change anything. The only kind of information I see for Smash 4 is a name at best and I feel we're going to be waiting for another year before we finally see information come out of it.

Because of this, I could see myself leaving this thread for awhile to focus on other commitments. I don't think I can last for another year speculating on virtually nothing and I feel it's going to be the same thing over and over again. What I'll do is leave a big posts summarizing my thoughts and then I'll be gone for give or take a year.
everyone... i want you to do this blog thing... that includes you; Oasis, JohnKnight, Oppossum, SSBF, Chrono...

Which one?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

I'm everyone. :awesome:

Maybe, I was thinking of doing some bloging on Screwattack though, so I'll think about it. IGN is just plain awful, but they are the biggest Smash fans compared to the other major gaming media sites.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ august
I used to run a wordpress blog for my pre-Brawl, Brawl, and Smash (initially) post-Brawl thoughts. I'll probably make some SmashBoards blogs or wordpress blogs (again), along with at least one youtube video this summer. Still, if I were to make some, you could use my stuff as long as you cite the source. I don't mind. ;)
I think Deoxys would be very original and exciting if his form changes were worked into his moveset.

But overall I definitely agree with you.
Yeah Deoxys could be original, but we've already had similar characters in Mewtwo and Lucario, and possibly Zoroark next. 4 anamorphic psychic(-ish) Pokémon seems like overkill. Plus Deoxys seems like he would play too much like Mewtwo even with an original moveset.
[COLLAPSE="Click here for the death of Impa:"]
[/COLLAPSE]
This is why I love you Holder. :love: For once though, at least I can appreciate Ghirahim... :smirk:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ shorts
I agree with you on your assessment of Toad on the last page. You are becoming a mini-Toise I see. :smirk: Or to better word it, you are becoming a shortie of choice! :awesome:
Sakurai isn't planning on making a sequel to Uprising in the future.
Not exactly earth-shattering, but how do you think this could affect him choosing how much to rep KI in SSB4, more or less than if he was eventually planning a sequel?
Personally I think it won't have much effect, Sakurai pretty much says this about all his games.
Hopefully this means Sakurai is focused on not just making Smash Wii U and 3DS, but Smash Bros. games after that. YEAAYYYYYY!!!
Seriously though, I expect after Smash Wii U and 3DS, Sakurai will either make a new IP, a Star Fox game, a new Smash, or go back to make a new Kirby game.
Non-video game originated character? I'd have to say Nester > Captain N.
American only character? Mike Jones > Nester > Captain N.
America already got a pure bread American. One in the workout warrior and amazing athlete Captain Falcon!!! :falcon: The other in the lazy loser WAH-WAH-WAHRIOOO!!!! :wario:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wario is clearly Mexican-Italian. :troll:
Mexico is my favorite American state. :troll:
And Falcon isn't American. He's Falcon :falcon:
So he lives in Atlanta. I see. What position does he play=??? Kneer (like the punter, but more violent!!!) :falconmelee: <<< (Melee Falcon could kick Brawl Falcon's slow butt any day!!!) :shades:
I thought Red was the original O_o
Red Ridley is from Super Metroid. The original original Ridley is purple, and barely bigger than Samus (in the original Metroid). However, Ridley in the remake of the original Metroid (Metroid: Zero Mission) was green oddly enough, however. I'm not sure why. I thought purple was much more suitable for Ridley in Zero Mission, and much better. :cool:
John: Hate to nitpick at your wonderful Ridley post, but you forgot the blue chibi Ridley (Metroid 1 Japan art), the blue freak of nature Ridley (Metroid 1 USA art), and the black recolor of the red recolor (Super Metroid).
I don't care about box arts. :p As for black, that was all pretty much happening at the same time as red Ridley. Still, I guess I could add that color of Ridley. ;)

D

Deleted member

It's not boxarts, though.
It's artwork just like the red one. And if you count the red one...:smirk:
That, and freak of nature Ridley was also in the Captain N comics.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The red one was listed as the Super Metroid Red Ridley. :p
Dixie Kong's a-moves and throws would definitely be completely unique. However, there is the possibility that her special moves and Final Smash would come from Diddy Kong since there is not much material from the DKC games to base original specials for her on. Basically, if Dixie Kong were a clone, she would be like Wolf or Lucas.
I would actually imagine Dixie Kong more easily have original special moves and a original Final Smash than original A-moves and throws. I mean, if Dixie's grabs were all stolen off of Diddy Kong, few would notice.

If any Donkey Kong character were to be a clone, it would probably be either Tiny Kong (of Dixie Kong), K. Rool (of Bowser maybe?), or Kiddy Kong (of Donkey Kong).
@SSBF: Don't even SPECULATE that Smash 4 is the last Smash. :cry: I couldn't bear it.
Smash 4 won't be the last Smash, because 1 of these 2 forthcoming games is Smash 5. ;)

D

Deleted member

K. Rool can't breathe fire, has no shell to spin in, and never does anything like Bowser.

Kiddy Kong as a DK clone makes sense, though. As for Tiny, there's her feather shooter (Seriously? Feathers?) and her ability to shrink.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
K. Rool can't breathe fire, has no shell to spin in, and never does anything like Bowser.
For K. Rool, I mean like he would have all or nearly all of Bowser's tilts, smash attacks, aerials, and grabs. The specials would be different. Giga King K. Rool would rock though! :awesome:
Kiddy Kong as a DK clone makes sense, though. As for Tiny, there's her feather shooter (Seriously? Feathers?) and her ability to shrink.
Yeah, Kiddy Kong just makes sense. Same body type, same everything. Tiny Kong is basically just a model swap of Dixie Kong. All you would need to do with her is maybe give her a new special, and make her up B have frames involving both of her pigtails. Oh, and if Tiny Kong is in Smash in any capacity, please don't let it be her ugly redesigned older self.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's a possibility; however, Sakurai probably never actively focused on Toad as he had only just completed the Mario themed characters by Brawl (if Wario counted).

Toad has been supported to some degree since Melee and with the mention of Toad's stats from SMB2 each time on his Melee and Brawl trophies and in Sakurai's journal for Brawl still has me thinking that Sakurai must have some interest in him. He obviously did not want to flood the Brawl roster with Mario characters; however, with SSB4 he's bound to add some.

Well, I really doubt that was his Train of thought, considering he had decent sized reservations about adding Wario in the first place. My bet is, to him, Wario was the last litte drop he could squeeze out of the "Mario cast" IF you can even consider Brawl Wario being much like the Wario who showed up in Mario games.

He's actively said no, three times, for a reason. And not really no, he definitely isn't "bound" to add any since he's actually taken away Doc since Melee, and didn't add a TRUE Mario character since Melee. We could definitely not see Toad, Doc, or Junior in the next Smash. It's DEFINITELY possible.

I just don't think he's nearly as important of an add to Sakurai as he is to you guys.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see I'm not the only one that considers the possibility of a new Mario character not being added.

I feel that if there is any character that would be added at this point from the extended Marioverse, it'd be Dixie and/or K. Rool.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, I don't think Toad is "destined" for Smash Wii U or 3DS. However, he might be "destined" for a Smash game far down the road If we are talking about "Mario characters" (which Mario is actually from Donkey Kong) to be added in shorts/Golden's logic, Dixie Kong and King K. Rool are above and beyond the best and most prevalent choices.
Reminds me of a talk we had in the old discussion group. But yeah, fandom and what not, it's both a good thing and a bad thing.
Fandom creates passion, and it earns Nintendo a lot of money off smash. Without these characters that cause fandom, Smash is no different from the non-crossover fighting games. It also probably would sell about the same amount of copies as them, too.

Still, fandom can be bad for debates. People can get too attached to these characters to think from a unbiased point of view. It also, obviously, can lead to flame wars.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Glad to see I'm not the only one that considers the possibility of a new Mario character not being added.

I feel that if there is any character that would be added at this point from the extended Marioverse, it'd be Dixie and/or K. Rool.
Dixie, K. Rool, and Mona.

Mostly I list Mona because Sakurai DID give a decent amount of credit to WW, unlike WL.

We saw an AT, a level and a WarioWare Wario moveset. I think Mona isn't TOO far of a shot. Still, you never know, and betting on her is a decent sized gamble. Just because we have so little of how Sakurai feels about WW to go on.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Mexico is my favorite American state. :troll:
Does that make me Native American then?

I see Toad being passed over more about priorities than anything else. Same can be said for most of the characters not in yet. In fact, the lack of an AC character was implied to be that.

D

Deleted member

I personally wouldn't bet on another WarioWare character. Or any Wario character in general.
And if it were a WarioWare character, with the fact that Kat and Ana being Assists and Jimmy T. appearing in the background in one of the stages' microgames (Taunt!), I'd feel Sakurai would pick from one of them, or even someone else like Orbulon due to potential extraterestrial abilities he could be given.
Or even Ashley, due to her unexplained popularity in Japan (I guess it must be because she looks like a loli).

In any case, if he were to look for a WarioWare character, it wouldn't be set in stone who it would be, as most are equally important/popular/have great potential. Though if I had to wager on one, I'd wager on Ashley most of all.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

I see Toad being passed over more about priorities than anything else. Same can be said for most of the characters not in yet. In fact, the lack of an AC character was implied to be that.
Don't tell me to go back to where I came from because my decentents weren't originally from US D:

And, really? Show me this Kuma. This is news to me

Ashley, Mona, and Syrup are the most rallied behind. Syrup just isn't happening, and so that leaves Ashley and Mona. I would argue Mona just because she seems to be miss #2 of WarioWare. (Behind Wario) AND, be careful not to read TOO much into Brawl. Some characters are best left Taunters and AT's.

Mona or Ashley, if anyone.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, as much as Sakurai likes Wario Ware (for some reason) and is indifferent to Wario Land (somehow), I don't see a character from Wario Ware getting in. However, I wouldn't say that Sakurai won't consider a Wario Ware playable character. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised by any considerations, including Captain Syrup. :laugh:
If you are Mexican, technically yes. Heck, if you are the descendants of any indigenous people of North or South America, you could be considered Native America, like me. :bee:
Meah, I'm passing over Animal Crossing characters. I think both an Animal Crossing character(s) and Toad will be considered as playable characters in the "consideration" period of Smash Wii U and 3DS. However, I doubt either will have much of a chance of being playable. Neither look like characters Sakurai would be all over to make playable in Smash. They seem much more like characters that will be have ideas scrapped halfway through character considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom