• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I just remembered:

The Betting Thread Closes tomorrow, so get your bets in as soon as possible.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXY-L37qROM

Here is the trailer for Zangeki no Reginleiv, a D rated Japanese-exclusive hack and slash game that revolves around Scandinavian mythology (Norse). It was released in 2010 and was published by Nintendo and developed by Sandbox (who did Earth Defenders and Choujou Mecha MG) It is still considered a Nintendo IP regardless and looks very interesting. It is equally as mature as Geist and Eternal Darkness. I would love to see some representation from this game, like a trophy (regular or assist). Though, some obstacles include that it received mixed reviews by Kotaku and sold poorly. Yet there is some request for the main characters by Japanese Smash Fans, though I'd rather see them as a trophy instead.
I actually played this game. It wasn't that bad, but I did have a hard time figuring out what was going on, lol.

I bet if it had come out later it would've been part of Operation Rainfall's campaign.

I don't think it will get any representation in Smash other than a few trophies. An Assist Trophy could work well though. (I'd also love for Geist and ED to get more attention this time around -- but I'm not holding my breath, especially for Geist).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The Betting Thread is in the SBR, correct?

:phone:
Anyone can join in, the SBR is just used to keep things organized. I can send you an invite if you would like.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I´ve never heard about this character...

Who is him?
That character is putt putt

He's in various kid's games on the computer

It's mostly point and click adventures.

Back then I had a mac and on it I had putt putt's playhouse (I think it was called)

It was a collection of mini games including checkers.

My neighbor had a PC and introduced me to the click adventures

Mind you, this was all when I was young

D

Deleted member

After some research, I found out that only the Pokemon and Mother characters are 2nd Parties.

I'm sure that may be common knowledge to a lot of you, but I was continuously under the belief that Fire Emblem and Kirby were 2nd Party series, but as I found out, Intelligent Systems and Hal Labs are 100% owned by Nintendo.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
After some research, I found out that only the Pokemon and Mother characters are 2nd Parties.

I'm sure that may be common knowledge to a lot of you, but I was continuously under the belief that Fire Emblem and Kirby were 2nd Party series, but as I found out, Intelligent Systems and Hal Labs are 100% owned by Nintendo.
That's why pokemon can release games on phones without Nintendo getting in their business

It's just AR games though, so don't you all get your hopes up

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Is HAL owned by Nintendo? Do you have a source (I ask because I have seen conflicting things).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What's GOOOOOOOOD???

I also can see Pacman making it, but I don't get the fact that a lot of people are STILL wanting Lloyd Irwing from Tales Of Symphonia as the Namco-repi. How's that game so significant to Nintendo anyway?

Pacman all the way.

Speaking of Putt Putt...

Pekka The Rooster for Sm4sh. The many finnish kid's childhood.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Basically HAL Laboratory used to be a third-party developer, but when they started making games for the NES, they received financial support from Nintendo. These games failed to generate a large enough income, and in financial crisis were bought out by Nintendo, making them first-party.

Source: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL研究所
(It's in Japanese)

There is alot of conflicting information about HAL's ownership though, so I'm betting it's a little more complicated than that.

Also just something interesting about Pokemon ownership, the IP is actually split three ways between Game Freak, Creatures Inc (who themselves are Nintendo first-party), and Nintendo. Meaning any possible future Rare-type separation would be legal hell. I'm not sure how they got away with that Pokemon app in the first place.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it's because Golden Sun was on the GBA while Pikmin was on the Gamecube. Pikmin 1 and 2 most likely sold more copies than Golden Sun 1 and 2. I think it made Olimar more "worthy" of an addition when compared to Isaac.

[COLLAPSE="My post from the last page"][/COLLAPSE]
Plus Isaac is yet another generic RPG-swordkid. Olimar is quirky and recognizable to anyone who played Gamecube.

I don't quite get it, Smash Bros on N64 was very much All-Stars. Mario, Luigi, DK, Link, Fox, Samus, Kirby, Yoshi, C. Falcon, Pikachu are the heaviest characters from most important Nintendo games. Earthbound and Ness are quite known and unique too especially back then and Jigglypuff is, well, is.

Melee mostly added extra important characters: Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Falco, Mewtwo from the same series, some as clones. If I remember only Ice Climbers and Fire Emblem were new entries, arguably the next biggest series with potential characters. Oh and Game & Watch as blast from the past.

Brawl continued giving important sidekicks/villains: Diddy Kong, Wolf, Dedede, MK, Lucas, Lucario, Fire Emblem got new characters. New entries from currently (well post-Melee) hot stuff: Wario, Kid Icarus, Pikmin. Introduction of 3rd party characters and R.O.B as "new" Game & Watch.

So logically I would expect SSB4 to have: More important allies/villains of majors and emphasis on them (King. K. Rool, Ridley, Toad, Krystal/Slippy Toad, Meowth, Dixie Kong, Samurai Gorah, Waluigi, Palutena). 2-3 new series entries with emphasis on newer ones (Xenoblade, Prof. Layton, Paper Mario. Perhaps Punch-Out! which is also on Wii). I could see Duck Hunt Dog being the follower of R.O.B as a quirky blast from the past and a representative of Zapper. 3rd party characters are new and unknown so I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they were both changed or removed with no replacements, but I guess there will be 2 new ones at tops (licensing makes guessing tough, but I guess the pool is Megaman, Pacman, Hayabusa, Belmont, Ryu, Bill/Lance and Bomberman)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think logically SM4SH will focus more on Geno and Geno accessories

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Plus Isaac is yet another generic RPG-swordkid.
Lol I should then say that Little Mac's another generic boxer... and Waluigi... don't get me even started.
Heck, even Link counts, your another generic bishie action hero of legend.
(-l3l-);;

I might say it's pretty subjective on who's generic or not. In any case, Sakurai won't be ruling out characters due their "genericness". Besides have a go at Golden Sun at least before you judge it's cast.

Also, that looks terrifying, Horsetail. How did you sleep well with that in your nightmares.
It never made it into my nightmares because I have a chainsaw for those sort of situations. /And how's that terrifying?/

And by the way, I'm rocking to this remix sooo much.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
You don't know anything, Bones.
Very compelling argument there.

Sure, sure Isaac is unique. In the same sense Cloud, Squall, Alundra, Dart, Justin and a crapload of other characters are. They all have their quirks. A lot of sword with some magic in there somewhere. Oh, but lets not forget how unique the magic in Golden Sun is/sarcasm.

Also, there is no other boxer and Little Mac is recognizable to most who have touched SNES or Wii, and unlicenced boxers are rare in gaming in general. Plus Punch-Out is bigger than Golden Sun, being on home consoles back in 90's and this millenium. Golden Sun is marginal handheld game, I would even say maybe not everyone who have played GBA recognize him from the mass of kidRPG-protagonists.

Olimar >>> Isaac famewise. Oh and I'd still like Isaac because afterall he's next in line to get in, atleast he is the main protagonist of a big handheld series compared to a lot of other candidates.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Actually Horsetail, you having a chainsaw is more frighting. 0_0

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Very compelling argument there.

Sure, sure Isaac is unique. In the same sense Cloud, Squall, Alundra, Dart, Justin and a crapload of other characters are. They all have their quirks. A lot of sword with some magic in there somewhere. Oh, but lets not forget how unique the magic in Golden Sun is/sarcasm.
I got another compelling argument: You're dumb.

Maybe you should stop comparing it to other weak series and focus on the one at hands. Isaac is unlike any other character that could be added to Smash. Except maybe Diglett.

Or Horsetail's little Gare-bear.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Anyone can join in, the SBR is just used to keep things organized. I can send you an invite if you would like.
Sure, that would be great. I'm interested in seeing which characters people are actually betting on.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
What? Point was that a random person is more likely to recognize Olimar in some way "Hey I think that guy was in Pikmin" than they are to recognize Isaac. No need to go all defensive "He's an awesome character". It's like saying Master Chief is shallow and immediately getting replied by "No he's epic. He killed the Covenant alone, dropped from orbit etc. Haven't you read the books and stuff"

And I think recognizability is very important. Everyone in N64 Super Smash was a heavy hitter, perhaps with the exception of secret character Ness, who still is very unique and won't be confused with characters from other games. Melee mostly added characters for those series, as did Brawl (Bowser, Diddy Kong, Ganondorf etc. everyone knows). Some recently hot series got their characters like Wario, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Kid Icarus.

Going by that logic I wouldn't expect more than 2-3 new series introduced. Isaac and Golden Sun have a good chance, but Punch-Out, Xenoblades, Prof. Layton, Battalion Wars and co. won't make it easy.

Also, calling Final Fantasy 1-12, Grandia, Alundra, Legend of Legaia, Breath of Fire etc. weak? I suggest you try those games.

yani

Smash Lord
Also just something interesting about Pokemon ownership, the IP is actually split three ways between Game Freak, Creatures Inc (who themselves are Nintendo first-party), and Nintendo. Meaning any possible future Rare-type separation would be legal hell. I'm not sure how they got away with that Pokemon app in the first place.
Nintendo has no say in anything that isn't a video game. This is why they can do apps and computer games (there was an art studio game for Pokemon Red/Blue back in the day iirc).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What? Point was that a random person is more likely to recognize Olimar in some way "Hey I think that guy was in Pikmin" than they are to recognize Isaac. No need to go all defensive "He's an awesome character". It's like saying Master Chief is shallow and immediately getting replied by "No he's epic. He killed the Covenant alone, dropped from orbit etc. Haven't you read the books and stuff"

And I think recognizability is very important. Everyone in N64 Super Smash was a heavy hitter, perhaps with the exception of secret character Ness, who still is very unique and won't be confused with characters from other games. Melee mostly added characters for those series, as did Brawl (Bowser, Diddy Kong, Ganondorf etc. everyone knows). Some recently hot series got their characters like Wario, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Kid Icarus.
Lulz, was Kid Icarus so popular even before Brawl's reveal?

And even if none wouldn't really recognize Isaac over Olimar or someone else popular, one of the most awesome things Smash Bros does is to introduce us to new or lesser-known series of Nintendo. Pit and Marth (and I guess Ness) count well as this.

The roster would be pretty bland and not really full if suprises if all the characters were all just recognizable stuff. I'd just call Smash Bros "Mario & Link & Kirby & Pikachu Fighting Game".

Now this brings me a good question: could this game work well if only the most popular and best-selling Nintendo-franchises were only given playable reps?
Is it better than what we have now? (Mix of popular and cult classics franchises)

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Now this brings me a good question: could this game work well if only the most popular and best-selling Nintendo-franchises were only given playable reps?
Is it better than what we have now? (Mix of popular and cult classics franchises)

Yeah, then Victini and Zoroark can get in- Oh, ****, sorry. _-_

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice

He sure is now. Yeah probably Pit was in because Uprising was in the works and Pit needed more spotlight. Don't know if they would plan the same with Isaac and Golden Sun, but I doubt it. Can't forget that Kid Icarus started on NES either.

I guess it's obvious by my posts but I wouldn't really mind if all the less known ones were thrown out. But I think SSB roster is pretty good even as it is (sans the Pokemon) and the list of wildly popular characters is getting very thin. If SSB4 has Toad, K. Rool, Little Mac, Ridley etc. the must-haves for SSB5 are almost non-existent.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

And even if none wouldn't really recognize Isaac over Olimar or someone else popular, one of the most awesome things Smash Bros does is to introduce us to new or lesser-known series of Nintendo. Pit and Marth (and I guess Ness) count well as this.

The roster would be pretty bland and not really full if suprises if all the characters were all just recognizable stuff. I'd just call Smash Bros "Mario & Link & Kirby & Pikachu Fighting Game".

Actually, I think he is right. We had but a handful of obscure characters.

Ice Climbers, who remembers them from that NES game? It sucked back then and it still sucks today. Of course they were not exactly recognizable except maybe to the Japanese gamers who had the Famicom for much longer before Super Mario Bros. came out. We, the American gamers, got Super Mario Bros. bundled with the NES (along with R.O.B. and Duck Hunt) so we more likely than not overlooked Ice Climber and then flocked to the other major NES games like Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Punch-Out!! The Japanese gamers didn't have these games on the Famicom at first so they played with whatever were available - Balloon Fight, Excitebike, Urban Champion, Clu Clu Land, and Ice Climber. So, Ice Climbers may be an obscure character to the West but they apparently were recognizable in Japan.

Ness and Lucas may be fairly obscure here in America but the Mother series was very popular in Japan. Yes, EarthBound is a cult classic here in America but I don't think it was exactly a cult classic over there in Japan. The same is true with Marth and the Fire Emblem series. Even though R.O.B. was a surprise addition, he was not obscure. He surprised us because we did not expect a NES peripheral to fight, not because he was obscure.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
He sure is now. Yeah probably Pit was in because Uprising was in the works and Pit needed more spotlight. Don't know if they would plan the same with Isaac and Golden Sun, but I doubt it. Can't forget that Kid Icarus started on NES either.
Uprising wasn't ever under works during Brawl's development. In fact, Sakurai never planned to make a new game for Kid Icarus at first place when adding Pit to Brawl. Going on, the concept of Air Battle -> Land Battle-based game that would later become Uprising was planned out long time after Brawl was finished, and didn't even have any determined universe to it yet. Sakurai even thought of choosing Star Fox for that game before crossing with Kid Icarus, of which he chose then due Pit's character lending very good adaptability for his gane concept.

So at the end, Kid Icarus wasn't ever put in Brawl due promoting the new game. And even if it's very popular now, it had just been revived. In fact, we have no idea which direction the game will go on now.

I guess it's obvious by my posts but I wouldn't really mind if all the less known ones were thrown out. But I think SSB roster is pretty good even as it is (sans the Pokemon) and the list of wildly popular characters is getting very thin. If SSB4 has Toad, K. Rool, Little Mac, Ridley etc. the must-haves for SSB5 are almost non-existent.
Keep in mind that Sakurai does every Smash-game as his last, and if this Sm4sh's really the last one, better for him to complete the roster to the point that it's no more necessary to expand upon it.

Besides, unless Nintendo still holds back at trying to do new IP's, we're bound to have some new franchises to represent for Smash 5. And even then, if they just will expand only on existing franchises, they're pretty much digging their own pitfall where they will be out of all well-recognisable characters for Smash Bros. Or... they could just keep the roster's fresh by adding not-so-recognisable characters. :smirk:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Well, in R.O.B's case, you could say that he isn't well-known to the younger generations of gamers. Other than that, Arcade, you might actually have a really good point there

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Except R.O.B. was in Mario Kart DS... I would dare say the younger gamers probably recognized him as well. Mario Kart DS has always been one of the top selling DS games throughout DS's life cycle.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Uprising was supposed to be a wii game,there even are demos where you are pit,you learn how you move in the sky,and on the ground
before the game could be made,we needed a pit design,this is why there are TONS of pit design on unseen64,there is a design close to the actual pit,why would they do a design different from brawl?because it was before brawl.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Mr.No Pants: I think you're talking about a different Kid Icarus-game that has nothing to do with Uprising... you know, that game should called Man Icarus instead.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Mr.No Pants: I think you're talking about a different Kid Icarus-game that has nothing to do with Uprising... you know, that game should called Man Icarus instead.

Of course the game was completly different,but still,it was a kid icarus before brawl,the fact that a design is very close to the actual pit and that it got in brawl,mean it was to advertise a new kid icarus,wich later involved into a completly different idea,uprising,but that just came later.
I just wonder what would the game have been if it was that Man Icarus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom