• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

yani

Smash Lord
One other interesting note is that apparently Xenoblade Chronicles has sold more copies in the NA region than Japan or Europe. Wow.
Oh the irony :smirk:

It also broke the 600k mark. Lots of people double dipped (as in, already imported the PAL version, and bought the US version to support) as well as collectors buying multiple copies to save for when it becomes "rare".

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's safe to say that the majority of Americans who bought Xenoblade must be Runescape and World of Warcraft fans. LOL

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One other interesting note is that apparently Xenoblade Chronicles has sold more copies in the NA region than Japan or Europe. Wow.
I wonder now if people will start to take my belief of Shulk being more likely than Isaac more seriously.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Probably not Chrono, though I'd say Shulk is a better fit than Isaac personally.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Lol so now Isaac's not so likely anymore?

I guess Sm4sh's roster will act as a calculator for last years of best selling Nintendo...

Wait, why we then have Ness...

D

Deleted member

@SmashChu: I think I have good judgements when I'm able to explain all my choices for additions. I also think the competiton between Roy and Krom for the third spot is intense, so it could swing either way. If you want me to defend my reasons, I will.
New character for smash

Hey, I actually recognize that car. I used to play a game where he was featured on PC.

*returns to hiatus, phone is almost dead.*

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Speaking of sales, I used to think that the main argument against Ridley would be that the series would be "fine" with just Samus and that the series isn't "big" enough to warrant a second character in Smash, not that he'd be "too big" to be playable

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Speaking of sales, I used to think that the main argument against Ridley would be that the series would be "fine" with just Samus and that the series isn't "big" enough to warrant a second character in Smash, not that he'd be "too big" to be playable
That would have been better if it was just an adorable misunderstanding of when people said "big."

Still a slightly better argument against him than "too big" though.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
...Didn't that have some kind of break-out clone game, where SUPER PUTT was like the best power-up? I only played that game for one night, and yet it comes back to relevance like this?

Also look at this pattern:

Smash 64: 1 blondie
Melee: 4 blondies
Brawl: 2 blondies

Smash has always added at least one blondie character, so it is highly likely that another will be added. However, it appears that Smash reached its peak in blondocity in Melee, and is now on the decline. I would only expect one to be added at the least.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
What they need to do is decrease his size a little.

They have did it with Bowser,for example.
Bowser ain't a good example,he changes size game to game.
Olimar is a really good example.

And,ove,how dare you?you should think a little more.Not to sound rude.

Hey,holder...

[COLLAPSE="I was messing around in GIMP..."]
[/COLLAPSE]

Melee:zelda,peach,maybe sheik,and young link?I hope you're not counting sheik and Y.link,but not counting samus in 64. :ohwell:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Are you serious Oasis? A character shouldn't get in because of their hair colour. So I guess by that logic every blue haired character from Fire Emblem is highly likely.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Melee:zelda,peach,maybe sheik,and young link?I hope you're not counting sheik and Y.link,but not counting samus in 64. :\
Samus doesn't have hair, it's a robot. It's only when it transforms into a real girl like Pinocchio that it gains blonde hair.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I wonder now if people will start to take my belief of Shulk being more likely than Isaac more seriously.
Won't have any complaints against me, I've been saying all along Xenoblade is this generation's Earthbound. Plus I do thing the argument that Xenoblade being a new first party IP gives a competitive edge over a subsidiary series. Not that it really matters, but I could see that playing a role, even if minor. It's about the only relatively new and successful first party IP we have until Miyamoto's game is released.

Plus I definitely see Super Smash Bros including Xenoblade stage, so why not just go all the way and add Shulk too? Plus the advantage Shulk has over Isaac is that Shulk has not been struck down by Sakurai before. There is that too.

D

Deleted member

Samus doesn't have hair, it's a robot. It's only when it transforms into a real girl like Pinocchio that it gains blonde hair.
Nonononono.

That's Metroid you play as in Smash. His full name is Metroid Samus.
His Girlfriend/Wife, Zero Suit Samus lives inside him, and fights for him after he uses his Final Smash.
However, Ridley is in love with Zero Suit, and Metroid fights him constantly to keep her.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, I was just looking at the Nintendo franchises that have playable characters in all three games. It does seem that franchises that are of the 2D platformer genre are more likely to get characters than franchises in the other genres. The second most likely genre to get more characters is the RPG genre. The RPG genre seems to be more likely to get clones than the 2D platformer genre.

2D platformer genre - 18 characters (1 clone)
- Mario (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario)
- Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong)
- Metroid (Samus, Zero Suit Samus)
- Yoshi (Yoshi)
- Kirby (Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede)
- Ice Climber (Ice Climbers)
- Game & Watch (Mr. Game & Watch)
- Kid Icarus (Pit)
- Wario (Wario)
- R.O.B. (R.O.B.)

RPG / Strategy genre - 20 characters (6 clones)
- Zelda (Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link, Toon Link)
- Pokemon (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario)
- Mother (Ness, Lucas)
- Fire Emblem (Marth, Roy, Ike)
- Pikmin (Olimar)

Shooting genre - 3 characters (2 clones)
- Star Fox (Fox, Falco, Wolf)

Racing genre - 1 character
- F-Zero (Captain Falcon)

I also noticed that franchises that debuted on the home systems (NES, SNES, etc.) are more likely to get characters than franchises that debuted on the portable systems (GB, GBA, etc.)

Franchises that debuted on the home systems
- Mario
- Donkey Kong
- Zelda
- Metroid
- Yoshi
- Star Fox
- F-Zero
- Mother
- Ice Climber
- Fire Emblem
- Kid Icarus
- Pikmin
- R.O.B.

Franchises that debuted on the portable systems
- Kirby
- Pokemon
- Game & Watch
- Wario

Based on these findings... if we go by genre, then Starfy beats Isaac and Isaac beats Saki. If we go by sytems, then Saki beats Starfy and Starfy beats Isaac. I think that in order for a franchise that debuted on a portable system to get a character, that franchise needs to be notable and succesful to justify a character. In my opinion, I think Starfy would be a better choice in the long run. Starfy series was fairly more successful than Sin & Punishment series and Golden Sun series since it had 5 games whereas the other two had 2 and 3 games, respectively. I do think that would justify Starfy's inclusion over Isaac or Saki. It also helps that Starfy's genre is a 2D platformer and it would make it easier for Sakurai to visualize how Starfy would work in Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Making fun of me? :troll: Or Golden? :awesome: What's this deal about blonde characters?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Isaac got struck down before?
Assist Trophies allow you to enjoy even more characters who couldn’t quite make it as playable fighters. You may even see some that only the most dedicated fans will recognize, so you’ll have to look forward to them.
Obviously there means something prevented Sakurai from going forward with making him playable. Not sure what it was, but there was something.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
But sheik and y.link are just exactly zelda and link,if you count a "new" character because he change clothes/age,then you should count a character that's blond under the armor,it's her in different clothes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isaac got struck down before?
Wasn't he among Sakurai's list of characters he thought about making playable, but put them as an AT instead?

I think Lyn was another. Not sure who they all are.

Waluigi, but Sakurai's own words, may have been on that list, but I somewhat have my doubts. He tends to troll us a little. Look at Tripping. :p

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Also look at this pattern:

Smash 64: 1 blondie
Melee: 4 blondies
Brawl: 2 blondies

Smash has always added at least one blondie character, so it is highly likely that another will be added. However, it appears that Smash reached its peak in blondocity in Melee, and is now on the decline. I would only expect one to be added at the least.
Blondocity will rise again, if it is a pattern, then we should have four times the amount of blonds this time around. So much blond actually that it'll be WHITE. :awesome: We'll have Aeron, Ghirahim, Shulk, Dixie, and several others. (God forbid IMPA too)

Smash only has a total of 7 blonde characters.

Be reasonable.
That is about equal to brown, and blue and red are sprinkled here and there.

Hey,holder...

[COLLAPSE="I was messing around in GIMP..."]
[/COLLAPSE]
Da hell is that? XD

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wasn't he among Sakurai's list of characters he thought about making playable, but put them as an AT instead?

I think Lyn was another. Not sure who they all are.

Waluigi, but Sakurai's own words, may have been on that list, but I somewhat have my doubts. He tends to troll us a little. Look at Tripping. :p
Coincidentally Waluigi and Saki Amamiya are the only Nintendo Assist Trophies Sakurai teases about not being playable, or wishing to be playable. Not that it really matters much, but seeing him trolling is pretty funny.

D

Deleted member

*Begins to mention Gray Fox*
*Notices Star said NINTENDO Assist Trophies*
*Shuts up*

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Panties: Dude, Zelda could have changed her hair to any color she wanted to, BUT SHE CHOSE BLONDE. Isn't that telling? Also Sakurai counts Sheik and Zamus as separate characters so you should too. Let's ignore that I didn't count Toon Link since he's basically Young Link.

And Star is looking too deeply into whatever.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Coincidentally Waluigi and Saki Amamiya are the only Nintendo Assist Trophies Sakurai teases about not being playable, or wishing to be playable.
Sakurai best be trolling about Waluigi or I will be furious, outraged, and sick with anger! Saki is okay, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom