• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I fail to see how what he has said about AC does not apply to both characters that you mentioned that have already appeared and potential newcomers.
Because you cannot apply something he said for one instance and try applying that to another series when he has said nothing about it. You go from the realm of factual to subjective.

The "nature of the game" isn't "let's throw a bunch of characters that are good at fighting into a ring." It's a Nintendo Carnival (Sakurai's words) that celebrates the best of the company. The highest honor is to receive a playable character, and Animal Crossing deserves one. I don't care who or how it's implemented, but it doesn't need to be barred because it's "completely contrary to the nature of the game."
The bolded sentence is the root of the problem. Playable characters are not the "highest honor" of representation. Playable characters are what they are because they are popular or have something that makes them stand out from a gameplay perspective. Is there an element of representation that plays a role in the roster? Yes, but not in the same way you are inferring. This isn't just you I sau this to.

The only, only, reason retros get considered/included is because they serve as important icons to Nintendo. They are contrary to the nature of the game, but they're integral to the company. Same for AC and other series that are similar.
"In fact, I actually think it's a miracle that we got Smash Bros. and all the Nintendo characters to work together in the first place. Especially when you bring Pokemon into the mix and a lot of the complications that are caused by that being an almost completely different entity on its own, it's really something. So this is something that obviously will come up more as we get started on the new Smash Bros. development, but keeping those things in mind I think is important."
The last thing you want to do is try and fit a character from one of the most tranquil video games into the mix. It makes sense.

I'm dropping this discussion though because I can tell it is going to go around in circles, and I'm not up for that. All I'm trying to say is I understand where Sakurai is coming from.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The bolded sentence is the root of the problem. Playable characters are not the "highest honor" of representation. Playable characters are what they are because they are popular or have something that makes them stand out from a gameplay perspective. Is there an element of representation that plays a role in the roster? Yes, but not in the same way you are inferring. This isn't just you I sau this to.
Hasn't Sakurai said on more than one occasion how there are so many characters he was able to fit into Smash that people will enjoy, referring to things like items, trophies, stickers.

Just to help your point. *pats head*

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I got too angry for Nintendo for not remixing actual Skyworld from KI so went off to find a rearranged one.
Oh good, I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Underworld - Chp 1
Overworld - Chp 7, 10
Angel Land - Chp 17 (surprisingly not a part of the soundtrack or soundtest)
Fortress - Chp 24

That and there was no OM&M mentions. Just because it never came out in Japan as of now doesn't make it any less a part of the series's history. Probably would have made Uprising even better if there was an Orcos fights.

EDIT: Oops, you mean in Smash? Then that too. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ryu is boring as Hell, has a bland personality that is only slightly above Krystal's, and is in too many games already. Oh, and he'd be a Mario clone. And he's not Mega Man.

And to be honest, the "potential" is lost, as we already know what Ryu can do, as he does it every game he's in. His "potential" is tapped out. As for Karate Joe, an actual Nintendo character, his potential has yet to be tapped into. Especially at the fact he'd be more of a Rhythm based fighter than a traditional fighter like Ryu.
Even so.... you know it is true that more people would rather have Ryu again than some obscure Nintendo character like Karate Joe.

D

Deleted member

Even so.... you know it is true that more people would rather have Ryu again than some obscure Nintendo character like Karate Joe.
Yes, people would rather have a 3rd Party character over an actual, recurring Nintendo character from a popular Nintendo series (hint: Rhythm Heaven is not as obscure as you think it is). :rolleyes:

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Rhythm Heaven has Karate Joe, who has been in all three games of the series, and can clearly "fit" in a violent atmosphere.

He could even be more of a rhythm based character to represent where he came from.
Think Marth's Dancing Blade or Roy's Double-Edge Dance, but for more moves.
For Rhythm Heaven, I'd like to see Karate Joe or the little white fellow from Glee Club who serves as the tutorial guide in Fever. I think Joe would be better as a "fighter" specific character, whereas Glee Club Guy (I know he has a name, I just can't think of it) would be more like a character that draws moves from the whole series.

D

Deleted member

For Rhythm Heaven, I'd like to see Karate Joe or the little white fellow from Glee Club who serves as the tutorial guide in Fever. I think Joe would be better as a "fighter" specific character, whereas Glee Club Guy (I know he has a name, I just can't think of it) would be more like a character that draws moves from the whole series.
I think that guy's name is Marshall. I'm not sure.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, people would rather have a 3rd Party character over an actual, recurring character from a popular series (hint: Rhythm Heaven is not as obscure as you think it is). :rolleyes:
A lot of people wanted Sonic more than several of the recurring Nintendo characters from popular games in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

A lot of people wanted Sonic more than several of the recurring Nintendo characters from popular games in Brawl.
If you're seriously comparing Ryu to Sonic, you have lost.
Come back when you actually have a legitimate arugment, to where you don't try pulling random things out your *** that don't have good reasoning.

EDIT: Did someone diss the Mach?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh good, I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Underworld - Chp 1
Overworld - Chp 7, 10
Angel Land - Chp 17 (surprisingly not a part of the soundtrack or soundtest)
Fortress - Chp 24

That and there was no OM&M mentions. Just because it never came out in Japan as of now doesn't make it any less a part of the series's history. Probably would have made Uprising even better if there was an Orcos fights.

EDIT: Oops, you mean in Smash? Then that too. :p
I know right? That music's so much fun and catchy... (-lAl-<)

Holder, I'mma ignore you for now.
(-=´=-);;

/Hmm, but I dunno why I took that as an insult anyway... maybe for lulz/

But still saying Mach Rider sucks? Geez, that's actually harsh.

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You know Golden, the arguments we have here are at least much better than the ones on Godzilla boards. I saw some people arguing over what design ****ing EBIRAH should use in the possible next game.

Which completely DUMB because the Final Wars design is OBVIOUSLY so much BETTER. DUH.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I am going to explode into fragments and then reform those fragments into a foot in your ***, which is what is doing the sucking.

You have just revealed what is truly behind those shades.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I think that guy's name is Marshall. I'm not sure.
Yup yup yup yup yup. That's it.

Oh, and Star, I would also say that characters that "stand out from a gameplay perspective" do not include clones (looking at Melee), and do include characters who change up the fighter formula a bit.

So yeah, going in circles and all, but I don't see where Sakurai's coming from. Not at all. Daaaaaa end.

And Oasis, I think a Villager would be peachy-keen. Not really a hardcore Nook supporter, mainly just a big AC fan period. That being said, Tom Nook would "hm" and "yes" foes into submission.

D

Deleted member

You know Golden, the arguments we have here are at least much better than the ones on Godzilla boards. I saw some people arguing over what design ****ing EBIRAH should use in the possible next game.

Which completely DUMB because the Final Wars design is OBVIOUSLY so much BETTER. DUH.
Sorry, I'm a vegetarian. :troll:

No but seriously, arguing over what, two designs Ebirah had, that are not all that different?
That IS much worse...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If you're seriously comparing Ryu to Sonic, you have lost.
Come back when you actually have a legitimate arugment, to where you don't try pulling random things out your *** that don't have good reasoning.

EDIT: Did someone diss the Mach?
Ryu and Karate Joe are two guys who excel in martial arts and they both wear white karate gi's. Who is more popular? Ryu. Which franchise is more popular? Street Fighter. That's why I am saying a lot of people would rather see Ryu than Karate Joe in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Still liking that concept. (-l3l-)

Holder can't touch this.

:phone:
It looks like he's farting with the way he's crouching.
And he IS exploding....
Explosive gas?

CANNOT BE UNSEEN
EDIT: No offence, Oasis. I just think it looks funny.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
@R.O.B. I was referring to the 1960's show Kung Fu. XD

@Grasshopper/Mach Rider Okay, come back to me when you figured out everything else.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
^ Fine by me. (-ù´ú-)

Wait, I'm Mach Rider now?

*Breaks off-topic to pieces and reforms the on-topic back*

Better not go óff-topic again like that... I start really remind of Omega in a sense.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Captain Falcon is the one rider that can have a fabricated moveset involving explosions that can work it. Mach Rider would be one too many. There are better retros to pick from if we have to. :p

Edit: And yes, I officially dub thee Young Grasshopper the Mach Rider. And don't worry, 99% of posts on here are off-topic.

D

Deleted member

Captain Falcon is the one rider that can have a fabricated moveset involving explosions that can work it. Mach Rider would be one too many. There are better retros to pick from if we have to. :p
The only "explosion" Falcon has is after his Falcon **** Dive.

Mach Rider explodes.......INTO A MILLION ITTY BITTY PIECES. Then reforms LIKE A BAWS.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's just add Palutena, Medusa, Little Mac, and King Hippo as revived retro characters and add Takamaru and Duck Hunt Dog as pure retro characters. :awesome:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Takamaru all the way.

I bet he'd have very hard time looking at Zero Suit Samus though.

/lolcaptainrainbowtakamarulol/
I've always wanted to take a screenshot of Takamaru nosebleeding at the sight of Princess Luigi.

@Golden: I think I'm happy that I don't remember which movie that line came from. But now all I can think about is corn and it not being a gun.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
....You know, I wouldn't mind if Mach Rider became a somewhat similar character to Captain Falcon, kind of like in the way that Jigglypuff and Kirby were similar in 64. Not an actual clone, but some similar moves.

Also, no, Ryu is beyond boring as hell and should never be in Smash. Not only are all his moves done with Mario/Luigi/Dr. Mario(for the most part), he adds nothing new, would be shoe-horned in, is beyond overused, and oh, he's not that cool.

If I had to accept a Street Fighter character, it'd either be M. Bison or Akuma.

Akuma atleast had a goddamn personality and did more than just being a boring hero. He was also popular, and definitely OP. There's a reason why he's chosen often.

Also, if you think people choosing MK often would be bad, they'd choose Ryu even MORE. Regardless of whether he's good or not. He's TOO popular, and that would make a terrible metagame.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
"99% of the posts here are off-topic"

wut

More like we are on-topic 90% of the time, but it's usually the same **** that we've been talking about for months

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, I don't think I need to go too in-depth for people to know my retro character choices, now do I? :D

But it is true that there's a lot of untapped potential in them. And I hope to see at least 4 of them get in. I'm not sure if Little Mac counts, but he needs to be in the game.

D

Deleted member

I've always wanted to take a screenshot of Takamaru nosebleeding at the sight of Princess Luigi.

@Golden: I think I'm happy that I don't remember which movie that line came from. But now all I can think about is corn and it not being a gun.
Funny, you mention Ebirah and Final Wars, and don't catch a line used in that movie during the Ebirah fight. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom