• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Congratz Triple Dash on the 99,000th post. Only 1,000 to go until the big 100,000. I wouldn't be (too) surprised if we hit it by the end of the month.
Thankies. :D And THAT is the kind of post I'd expect from you, full of faces haha.

I don't know much about it either, haven't played it (I think you can only ROM it right now, which I'm not really into). But I did watch some videos of it, and it's an amusing little game. Enough for me to like him, and to think that a reboot like they did with Kid Icarus would probably be a lot of fun.

I think it is also the game that inspired the original Legend of Zelda, in terms with how the game was laid out and played.
Really=??? o.O I always imagined it to be more like Mario or Kid Icarus.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Either way it was Gamefaqs who suggested her. GAMEFAQS for crying out loud. lol
Anna was literally an overnight thing. Its also interesting to see that they are undecided whether to throw Ike or Krom under the bus to make way for
Masked Martha
. The amusing thing is that Japan never even got on the Sheeda bandwagon, and given the opinion of the Japanese FE fanbase or the foreign one, the Japanese one's opinion is going to win out (has received all the games in the series, and has more popularity there than any other region).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Congratz Triple Dash on the 99,000th post. Only 1,000 to go until the big 100,000. I wouldn't be (too) surprised if we hit it by the end of the month.
:D

Anna was literally an overnight thing. Its also interesting to see that they are undecided whether to throw Ike or Krom under the bus to make way for
Masked Martha
. The amusing thing is that Japan never even got on the Sheeda bandwagon, and given the opinion of the Japanese FE fanbase or the foreign one, the Japanese one's opinion is going to win out (has received all the games in the series, and has more popularity there than any other region).

Speaking of which...

EDIT: @Holder: Sent you an invite to the backroom social group.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Masked Martha
Well you know, she's pretty much exactly what they wanted. Relevant female lord. Only issue is that she's a sword user. What a pity. She technically uses a spear and can reclass though. Still, no one seems to care about Mark Manakete, but that's probably because he's a dude.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well you know, she's pretty much exactly what they wanted. Relevant female lord. Only issue is that she's a sword user. What a pity. She technically uses a spear and can reclass though. Still, no one seems to care about Mark Manakete, but that's probably because he's a dude.
There is also the problem that the character looks almost exactly like the Marth, to the point where the character assumes the identity of Marth for much of the game.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Fixed for truth. It's not like Sakurai's a dictator that would say "Let us use this character or you won't get a character from this series." There is this thing called "compromise".
Of course there is compromise. I wasn't saying there wasn't any. Still, there is a such thing as saying "no" or not reaching an agreement. Plus I doubt Sakurai has added a character he didn't want to add in Brawl. This isn't pushover Sakurai sans 2002. This is Sakurai "the man running the show the way he wants" Sakurai.
Your point?
Ivysaur is the middle character of a "small-medium-large" trio.
Tell me you're joking for most of these. PLEASE tell me you're joking. I'm not even sure how to respond to such blasphemy.
Before any of those listed characters in smash, more people would probably know what an Ivysaur is... mostly because it sounds like Bulbasaur.
. With the two Marth's, all that is different is the face, from what I've seen. ("But what if she wears the mask?" Then it's pretty much just Marth wearing a mask with a girl's voice.)
We don't know much about
Lukina
yet. Let's wait before jumping off cliffs to conclusions.
And wouldn't what you say about Ike more or less support my argument about how we can't predict by fan output?
Seeing as how fan support is hard to predict is why I'm not automatically discounting a character who's role is vital to the game.
As my English professor says to me constantly, you can't have quotes stand alone. Clarify your point, please.
I did clarify. It was about Ike (and how this will relate to people's reactions. People opposed Ike solely because he was new. People do that with tons of new characters. As I've stated before, I want to wait until the smoke is cleared to make an informed opinion.
Responses in red. I'm honestly done with this whole argument. People just seem so closed minded, and I don't really see the point in continuing an argument for a character that I wouldn't care if she made it.
Maybe it's just you. You're pushing a very minor character in a very minor franchise in which more than half of the titles haven't even been financially viable to leave Japan.

You seem to discount people who want Toad as being fans of the "generic."
Why should role/importance even have a large influence on how characters are chosen for Smash, anyway
Would you rather have Link or Saria? We want characters that matter. Ones we know or can easily know about, since they would be one of the main characters of their games.

Also, marketing. Advertising main characters is much better than advertising random ones. That's why Zelda advertises with Link and Zelda, not Ilia and Malon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why should role/importance even have a large influence on how characters are chosen for Smash, anyway
It doesn't.

Being a recurring main character(if more than one game) does help your chances somewhat. But that doesn't mean your most used form(like Ganon, for example) has a special chance ether.

Overall Nintendo/-Insert Company Here- important is something that plays a bit bigger of a chance giver, but not always. Ice Climbers, anyone?

Honestly, people keep trying to make fake criteria. Canon, Role... main character is really the only one in common we've seen so far.(Main hero, main villain, main sidekick, etc.)

Secondaries have gotten AT status, though.

But even then, that's still just something common... and not a stated factual criteria.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
There is also the problem that the character looks almost exactly like the Marth, to the point where the character assumes the identity of Marth for much of the game.
I suppose there's also that, but keeping their default colors different with Lucina being darker, and letting Lucina stay short and keep her long hair may not make it that bad. Plus make Marth look more like he does in the artwork for FE11 and less like his DLC portrait for FE13. Its still a problem I suppose, but hey, they said the same thing about Ike.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Also, Super Mario Sunshine had worse voice acting than Brawl (in English, at least). That's hard to do, given how awful a lot of the Brawl voice acting was! :laugh: Bowser's voice = :urg:
I agree, that's one of the only things I didn't like. Some cutscenes like Jr.'s reveal had a lot of goofy and childish overtones too. That part was pretty embarrassing to play around others, despite there being an amazing rollercoaster sequence just before it.

GREAT game however.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
EDIT: @Holder: Sent you an invite to the backroom social group.
Accepted, thanks, I appreciate it. :D

Really=??? o.O I always imagined it to be more like Mario or Kid Icarus.
Well only the frog parts really seem to be platform-like, the rest involve you running across the land the same way Link did in his first game.

Edit: Also, Starpheonix REALLY needs to make more signatures... it is driving me crazy that there is one missing under Mewtwo right now. ARGH! I even took Tom Nook when I want the Villager because I tried to fill up the bottom..

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I suppose there's also that, but keeping their default colors different with Lucina being darker, and letting Lucina stay short and keep her long hair may not make it that bad. Plus make Marth look more like he does in the artwork for FE11 and less like his DLC portrait for FE13. Its still a problem I suppose, but hey, they said the same thing about Ike.
Its a very big problem for that character. There is a very good chance that they will use Marth's FE13 design, especially considering its being used as a big reason to entice people to buy FE13 within its opening week.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
That ain't what I meant, John. Obviously you want to have your Marios, Links, etc. and not make completely stupid decisions like Daisy, but after those, why not put in a character like Pico or whatever interesting FE character that isn't a lord?

This is a game, after all, where the objective is to have fun. I don't care about bull **** criteria like "DURP X HAS BEEN IN MOAR GAEMZ AND ACTUALLY DID MOAR **** THAN Y THEREFORE HE'S A BETTER CHOICE"; I just want to be able to beat the crap out of my opponents with telekinetic man-cats and alien hit men/racer pilots from the future in Smash

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Its a very big problem for that character. There is a very good chance that they will use Marth's FE13 design, especially considering its being used as a big reason to entice people to buy FE13 within its opening week.
Eh, I doubt that. FE11 came after Brawl and it was actually a game about Marth, so they probably will stick to that design. Its not like they went and changed Ike's to be Radiant Dawn or anything. They just went with what people associated him with the most.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It shouldn't and it only seems that way because of interpretations of the rosters. I'm still waiting for that one character that becomes the next MODOK.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Eh, I doubt that. FE11 came after Brawl and it was actually a game about Marth, so they probably will stick to that design. Its not like they went and changed Ike's to be Radiant Dawn or anything. They just went with what people associated him with the most.
Ike's design for Brawl was likely given to Sakurai before his FE10 design was finalized.

Also, I sincerely hope you don't actually think Masked Marth has a better chance than Roy or Krom. I would think you would have more common sense than that.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
It shouldn't and it only seems that way because of interpretations of the rosters. I'm still waiting for that one character that becomes the next MODOK.
ROB?

Ike's design for Brawl was likely given to Sakurai before his FE10 design was finalized.

Also, I sincerely hope you don't actually think Masked Marth has a better chance than Roy or Krom. I would think you would have more common sense than that.
I guess, but I still think they would go with the design from Marth's own game (though I suppose that would be FE12 not FE11)

Not going to touch the Roy thing, but no I don't know what to say about the chances of Masked Marth. I don't know the full story of the game nor do I know how fans here or abroad will actually react. So I'm not going to say what I think because there's nothing to say accurately. I just don't think the visual appearances issue is that great of an issue.

D

Deleted member

Maybe it's just you. You're pushing a very minor character in a very minor franchise in which more than half of the titles haven't even been financially viable to leave Japan.

You seem to discount people who want Toad as being fans of the "generic."
I've pretty much ignored the rest seeing as I don't wish to continue the argument, but these really irked me.

One, I am not "pushing" anything. I have recently said the following:
-My thing with Anna is that I would rather have her more than Krom.
-The concept of a Krom/[Masked Marth] duo interests me and I would be accepting of that.
-If I could pick any FE character to add, it'd be Leaf.
-I don't care if Anna makes it or not.

What you don't get is that I was trying to make people less foolish about dismissing a character soley on their role, but all I'm doing apparently is preaching to the choir.

And two, I have never said that about people who support Toad nor have I discounted them.
My only problem with people that find Toad as the biggest candidate for the Mario characters is that Sakurai previously stated he doesn't see Toad as a fighter and they don't acknowledge that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
My only problem with people that find Toad as the biggest candidate for the Mario characters is that Sakurai previously stated he doesn't see Toad as a fighter and they don't acknowledge that.
Until people actually provide a source for this, they should not even bring it up.

D

Deleted member

Anyways, with Ike essentially taking one of Roy's moves (Flare Blade to Eruption) and Krom taking Aether, I wonder if I should be pessimistic and beleive that Krom will replace Ike and Roy will not return.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anyways, with Ike essentially taking one of Roy's moves (Flare Blade to Eruption) and Krom taking Aether, I wonder if I should be pessimistic and beleive that Krom will replace Ike and Roy will not return.
Krom also has Quick Draw.

I think its going to be Marth, Roy, and Ike, with FE13 content being repped through an Assist Trophy (Tiki would be the best choice because she would rep all of the FEs to be released since Brawl), possibly a stage, boss battle, trophies, stickers, and music. People need to realize that there are other ways games can be repped outside of characters.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sakurai said during the FE11 Iwata Asks that he was disappointed that he couldn't use Marth's FE11 design when he was putting the finishing touches on Brawl back in 07 when he got a sneak preview of the game.

And two, I have never said that about people who support Toad nor have I discounted them.
**** I thought me and Star killed this off already. IF it was true, Sakurai was talking about a MOVESET.

D

Deleted member

Krom also has Quick Draw.

I think its going to be Marth, Roy, and Ike, with FE13 content being repped through an Assist Trophy (Tiki would be the best choice because she would rep all of the FEs to be released since Brawl), possibly a stage, boss battle, trophies, stickers, and music. People need to realize that there are other ways games can be repped outside of characters.
Son of a....
EDIT: Pray tell; what kind of roles has Tiki had?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Tiki is also the character that started the whole transforming unit motif in Fire Emblem, and she is the most popular female from Marth's games in Japan.
Tiki's that popular? You'd think it'd be Shiida or the Pegasus Sisters (Palla, Catria, Est).

I still think the Triangle Attack would work great as an AT. :3

D

Deleted member

Tiki is also the character that started the whole transforming unit motif in Fire Emblem, and she is the most popular female from Marth's games in Japan.
And that makes her deserving of AT status....?
And doesn't Micaiah overthrow her in popularity in Japan for females total?

So answer me this; why would Tiki be an AT over Micaiah, who was the main character for the first half of Radiant Dawn and is the most popular female in Japan?
Just because Tiki is in Kakusei?

EDIT: A character that turns into a Dragon? I would want Medeus for that. He would add to the villain ranks which are lacking.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And that makes her deserving of AT status....?
And doesn't Micaiah overthrow her in popularity in Japan for females total?

So answer me this; why would Tiki be an AT over Micaiah, who was the main character for the first half of Radiant Dawn and is the most popular female in Japan?
Just because Tiki is in Kakusei?

EDIT: A character that turns into a Dragon? I would want Medeus for that. He would add to the villain ranks which are lacking.
Micaiah is simply the most requested female FE character in Japan. This is talking about playable status.

In terms of the FE fanbase there (ignoring Smash Bros. fans), Tiki is the most popular female from Marth's games, and perhaps the most popular female there. Japan really loves their lolis.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Medeus should be stage material. :3

D

Deleted member

Medeus is more boss material.
To be fair, the same could be argued for Ganondorf or Ridley, yet one is playable and the other is heavily wanted to be playable.
I would imagine Medeus being in human form while playing as him, attacking with fire breath, magic, and claws, etc. while turning into the Dark Dragon for his Final Smash.
EDIT.....****. Now he's someone I'd really like to see, but never will get.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
To be fair, the same could be argued for Ganondorf or Ridley, yet one is playable and the other is heavily wanted to be playable.
I would imagine Medeus being in human form while playing as him, attacking with fire breath, magic, and claws, etc. while turning into the Dark Dragon for his Final Smash.
EDIT.....****. Now he's someone I'd really like to see, but never will get.
That doesn't make that much sense. Ridley is a modestly sized dragon and Ganondorf is a armored wizard. Medeus in his not Earth/Dark dragon form is just an old guy who can't do much of anything. And making it so he can only turn into his true form (or at least the form that you interact with the most) as simply a Final Smash would be pretty counter productive. There are plenty of other FE antagonists who fit the playable spot better than him, while very few (really none) fit the role of boss as well as he does.

D

Deleted member

That doesn't make that much sense. Ridley is a modestly sized dragon and Ganondorf is a armored wizard. Medeus in his not Earth/Dark dragon form is just an old guy who can't do much of anything. And making it so he can only turn into his true form (or at least the form that you interact with the most) as simply a Final Smash would be pretty counter productive. There are plenty of other FE antagonists who fit the playable spot better than him, while very few (really none) fit the role of boss as well as he does.
You mean as counterproductive as Ganondorf using his Ganon state as simply a Final Smash? (Who's been in more games, the beast Ganon or the human Ganondorf?)
Or Captain Falcon performing flaming bird punches and kicks and using his car only for a Final Smash?
Or making a peripheral like R.O.B., who could only slowly move his top half and move tops and blocks, able to use lasers, *near* full movement, rocket boosts, etc.?

Not that I'm trying to start an fight, but Captain Falcon and R.O.B. throw sense out the window.
I don't think making an old draconic man use pyrokinesis, magic, and his own claws is anymore :083:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom