• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would certainly hope that no one here knows who Human Smoke is. A Scorpion recolor? Really? REALLY?! I think that is on the same level as Popeye the Sailor.
What the hell is with Human Smoke. Who likes Human smoke. He's a throw away cyborg that was human in 1 game.

Subzero shouldn't have been turned into a cyborg. Smoke lost anything interesting not being a cyborg.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I played MK9 for two days, and it was poor thing to gamble on. The game has depth to it, but going from Street Fighter and BlazBlue the game just seems to pale in comparison in terms of depth. The block button and the apparent lack of okizeme hurts a lot of the potential mixups.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
What the hell is with Human Smoke. Who likes Human smoke. He's a throw away cyborg that was human in 1 game.

Subzero shouldn't have been turned into a cyborg. Smoke lost anything interesting not being a cyborg.
Human Smoke is way better the robot smoke. Sorry. And he was in MK2 and MK3. And technically he was in deception.

edit: I honestly think you gave up too fast on it Kuma.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
K Rool for Brawl. Hopefully tiki idiotic generic boss never sees the light of day again.

Actually I do like the tiki's. Just Kremlins are so much better

Edit: This was actually relevant to the current conversation at some point, but my thoughts wondered and eventually arrived at the above
I agree. I personally thought the Tikis were stupid and ridiculously unnecessary, especially considering a lot of the badguys were generic animals. Pirate crabs? Come on! Kremlings are by far the coolest villains in any video game (In DKC 1 and 2, mainly 2). I really think they shod get representation especially in the form of K Rool. However, methinks Sakurai isn't very well read in the Kremling department. I hope he learns that all the K Rools are the same person and that he's important enough to include.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I agree. I personally thought the Tikis were stupid and ridiculously unnecessary, especially considering a lot of the badguys were generic animals. Pirate crabs? Come on! Kremlings are by far the coolest villains in any video game (In DKC 1 and 2, mainly 2). I really think they shod get representation especially in the form of K Rool. However, methinks Sakurai isn't very well read in the Kremling department. I hope he learns that all the K Rools are the same person and that he's important enough to include.
It was the final boss battle that irritated me the most.

It was a boss style that has been done over and over again. That irritated me

The boss from Kirby Super Star, same thing but more original

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I played MK9 for two days, and it was poor thing to gamble on. The game has depth to it, but going from Street Fighter and BlazBlue the game just seems to pale in comparison in terms of depth. The block button and the apparent lack of okizeme hurts a lot of the potential mixups.
THE BLOCK BUTTON. I cannot stand it. I couldn't get used to not just pushing back. The game is fun, and I like the characters, but when I play it I can't help but get mad at the fact that all it plays on it the gore and the boobs. I'm fine with gore here and there, but it plays that card too much. Scorpion has a fatality where he cuts someone in half, cuts their head off, and then cuts them in half. . . WHY!? And then Mileena has an Alt. costume of nothing but string. like, seriously.

Pirate crabs
Well now I have to play this game.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Do you guys really think this can happen?

Not to say that Smash and DKC definitely need to go steady, but all we really got was a dixie costume.
Im not exactly sure what you're saying here but yes I do think the Kremlings can get more love. The only problem I can see is the fact that Nintendo....... hates them...... oh wait. That's kind of a big problem. Maybe... Sakurai will actually listen to us DKC fanboys who really love the games for the Kremlings, not the Kongs. EMIRITE FELLAS?!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Who wants to help figure out this riddle:

What character's name starts like this: V A (blank) (Blank) (Blank)

They have to have appeared in a 2001 or earlier title.

All I could think of was Vaati, and I don't think Minish Cap came out in time.
...Vader? From Rogue Squadron???

ALSO, would K. Rool use his boxing gloves for some of his standard moves? :3

Anyway, back to playing Chibi-Robo.

Oh, and Ridley and Sukapon for Sm4sh.

There's a Master Chief stamp.

Actually Drake has a great history about his game:

After completing Jak 3, Naughty Dog assembled their most technically-talented staff members and began development of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune under the codename Big. It was in full production for about two years, with a small team of engineers working on the game for about a year before hand. Naughty Dog decided to create a brand new IP rather than opt to develop a PlayStation 3 Jak and Daxter game—they wanted to create a franchise suitable for the new hardware, in order to develop such ideas as realistic human characters instead of stylized ones owing to limitations of previous hardware, as well as create something "fresh and interesting", although termed as 'stylized realism'. Inspiration was drawn from various sources in the action and adventure genres: pulp magazines, movie serials, and more contemporary titles like Indiana Jones and National Treasure. The team felt the sources shared themes of mystery and "what-if scenarios" that romanticized adventure and aimed to include those in Uncharted.
A platforming segment, showing Nathan attempting to scale the outer walls of the Fortress.

The game was first unveiled at E3 2006.From early previews of the game, inevitable comparisons of elements such as platforming and shooting between Uncharted and the well-known Tomb Raider series were drawn, earning the title the nickname of "Dude Raider". However, the developers saw their game as concentrating more on third-person cover-based play, in contrast to Tomb Raider's "auto-aiming" play and greater puzzle-solving elements. Throughout the game's development the staff tried to remain flexible and detached from the original design concepts; attention was focused on the features that worked well, while features that did not work were removed. The development team intended the game's main setting, the island, to play a big role in the overall experience. Feeling too many games used bleak, dark settings with monochromatic color schemes, they wanted the island to be a vibrant, believable game world that immersed the player and encouraged exploration.

In designing the characters, the artists aimed for a style that was photorealistic. The creators envisaged the main protagonist, Nathan Drake, as more of an everyman character than Lara Croft, shown as clearly under stress in the game's many fire fights, with no special training and constantly living at the edge of his abilities. Director Amy Hennig felt a heavily-armored, "tough as nails" protagonist with a large weapon was not a suitable hero, and decided a "tenacious and resourceful" character would portray more human qualities. Supporting characters (Victor Sullivan and Elena Fisher) were included to avoid a dry and emotionless story. Fisher's character underwent changes during development; in early trailers for the game, the character had dark brown hair, but ultimately the color changed to blonde and the style was altered.

The game went gold in the middle of October 2007.A demo was then released on November 8, 2007 on the PlayStation Network before its final release on November 19 in North America. The demo was first placed on the North American store, and was initially region-locked such that it would only play on a North American PS3.However, this was later confirmed as a mistake, as the developers were apparently unaware that people from different regions could sign up for a North American account and download the demo; a region-free demo was released soon after

And that's the history of the uncharted series.

The reason why Drake should be playable is because he has nothing to do with nintendo. Literally.

If you wanna see the possible movesets of the characters who will most likely be in then check my sig below.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
There's a Master Chief stamp.

Actually Drake has a great history about his game:

After completing Jak 3, Naughty Dog assembled their most technically-talented staff members and began development of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune under the codename Big. It was in full production for about two years, with a small team of engineers working on the game for about a year before hand. Naughty Dog decided to create a brand new IP rather than opt to develop a PlayStation 3 Jak and Daxter game—they wanted to create a franchise suitable for the new hardware, in order to develop such ideas as realistic human characters instead of stylized ones owing to limitations of previous hardware, as well as create something "fresh and interesting", although termed as 'stylized realism'. Inspiration was drawn from various sources in the action and adventure genres: pulp magazines, movie serials, and more contemporary titles like Indiana Jones and National Treasure. The team felt the sources shared themes of mystery and "what-if scenarios" that romanticized adventure and aimed to include those in Uncharted.
A platforming segment, showing Nathan attempting to scale the outer walls of the Fortress.

The game was first unveiled at E3 2006.From early previews of the game, inevitable comparisons of elements such as platforming and shooting between Uncharted and the well-known Tomb Raider series were drawn, earning the title the nickname of "Dude Raider". However, the developers saw their game as concentrating more on third-person cover-based play, in contrast to Tomb Raider's "auto-aiming" play and greater puzzle-solving elements. Throughout the game's development the staff tried to remain flexible and detached from the original design concepts; attention was focused on the features that worked well, while features that did not work were removed. The development team intended the game's main setting, the island, to play a big role in the overall experience. Feeling too many games used bleak, dark settings with monochromatic color schemes, they wanted the island to be a vibrant, believable game world that immersed the player and encouraged exploration.

In designing the characters, the artists aimed for a style that was photorealistic. The creators envisaged the main protagonist, Nathan Drake, as more of an everyman character than Lara Croft, shown as clearly under stress in the game's many fire fights, with no special training and constantly living at the edge of his abilities. Director Amy Hennig felt a heavily-armored, "tough as nails" protagonist with a large weapon was not a suitable hero, and decided a "tenacious and resourceful" character would portray more human qualities. Supporting characters (Victor Sullivan and Elena Fisher) were included to avoid a dry and emotionless story. Fisher's character underwent changes during development; in early trailers for the game, the character had dark brown hair, but ultimately the color changed to blonde and the style was altered.

The game went gold in the middle of October 2007.A demo was then released on November 8, 2007 on the PlayStation Network before its final release on November 19 in North America. The demo was first placed on the North American store, and was initially region-locked such that it would only play on a North American PS3.However, this was later confirmed as a mistake, as the developers were apparently unaware that people from different regions could sign up for a North American account and download the demo; a region-free demo was released soon after

And that's the history of the uncharted series.

The reason why Drake should be playable is because he has nothing to do with nintendo. Literally.

If you wanna see the possible movesets of the characters who will most likely be in then check my sig below.
Wow, I must say Nathan moveset is impressive, but.. Don't let it get to your head too much lol...

He is a Sony character after all :/

edit: whoops DP

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ok. I found the Muddy Mole moveset from the old thread.
[COLLAPSE="Muddy Mole"]B: Iron Ball
Pulls out an iron ball. This has the weight of a barrel or crate and can be picked up by anyone. Muddy Mole is unique with him being able to press B on the item as well and enter a grab state similar to the one in his game. Press forward and you throw the item higher than you would a barrel. Press backward and you do a suplex that turns the ball into an anti-air with an arc. This is ideal for edgeguarding.

Side B: Dig Forward
Digs a hole in the ground and digs forward. Press B while going forward to to launch out. This is to counter projectiles while being on the offensive. While digging forward, you have the ability to time when you come out. There is a predefined max range and pressing B while digging forward will have you jump out and you can go into an aerial or double jump right from there. If you can predict your opponent, use this to counter his/her dodge rolling patterns.

Down B: Dig - This is the center of Muddle Mole's playstyle.
Dig a whole in the ground, but this will not work on platforms where you can go under (like Battlefield's platforms). With this hole, you have the following options:

Down B where the hole is and you can go into the hole. From there, you can use this to dodge ground attacks and projectiles, but this state is vulnerable to aerial attacks (think something like Link's DAir). You also have access to a stronger version of your Up B that goes straight up and comes up quick, but a well spaced and active aerial will stuff it.

You can set up to two holes at any given time. If you try to dig a third one, the first one will disappear.

Despite the defensive uses, this is a strong zoning tool. If your opponent walks over the hole, he'll fall into a pitfall like state. This is key as this is where you start your combos or perform K.O. moves. If the opponent jumps over it, a lettuce ball will shoot out and hit the opponent for minimum knockback.

If you Down B in the air, Muddle Mole goes into a downward drill state that keeps going until he lands and makes a new hole. If you do this next an opponent in the air, you'll enter a command grab state with both of you drilling into the ground. Both versions of this attack goes through transparent platforms like the aforementioned BF platforms.

If you're already in the hole, you can do Side B and have a significantly reduced startup time on it.

Up B:
Mole Drill
Works essentially like Wario's Up B.[/COLLAPSE]
This moveset looks familiar... was it KumaOso who came up with this moveset? He suggested that Muddy Mole could be a trap-based fighter like Trish in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Chronicle should probably make a return again. Of course, it should be expanded to include WiiWare titles and DSiWare titles.

Masterpieces would get the boot, since that was a useless feature that Brawl had.

D

Deleted member

@Chris the Ripper: The sooner you learn that Goku and Human Smoke will never get in (The latter almost certainly, but still, don't expect him), the better. You're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Hoots said:
I would certainly hope that no one here knows who Human Smoke is. A Scorpion recolor? Really? REALLY?! I think that is on the same level as Popeye the Sailor.
I knew what he was. While he stands almost zero chance, he is more likely then Goku, Popeye, Naruto, etc, which have zero due to having video game origin and having been on a video game console.

@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: Meh, I actually like Masterpieces. Also, I agree that the Chronicle needs to expand to third-party titles for supporting companies, 3DS, and Wii-U.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, I agree with this. This shows in 64, Melee, and Brawl when it comes to characters and stages.

Super Smash Bros. 64 (NES, SNES, N64, GB, 1985 - 1998)

[COLLAPSE="SSB 64"]Mario = Super Mario World (SNES, 1990) and Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996)
Donkey Kong = Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 1994)
Link = The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES, 1991) and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, 1998)
Samus = Super Metroid (SNES, 1994)
Yoshi = Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES, 1995) and Yoshi's Story (N64, 1997)
Kirby = Kirby Super Star (SNES, 1996) and Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES, 1997)
Fox = Star Fox (SNES, 1993) and Star Fox 64 (N64, 1997)
Pikachu = Pokemon Red & Blue (GB, 1996) and Pokemon Yellow (GB, 1998)
Luigi = Super Mario World (SNES, 1990) and Super Mario All-Stars (SNES, 1993)
Captain Falcon = F-Zero (SNES, 1990) and F-Zero X (N64, 1998)
Ness = EarthBound (SNES, 1994)
Jigglypuff = Pokemon Red & Blue (GB, 1996)

Peach's Castle = Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996)
Kongo Jungle = Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 1994)
Hyrule Castle = The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES, 1991)
NOTE: SSB64 was developed at the same time as Zelda: OOT so it is likely Sakurai picked Hyrule Castle because it was an important location in Zelda: ALTTP but it is designed to resemble the OOT version
Planet Zebes = Super Metroid (SNES, 1994)
Yoshi's Island = Yoshi's Story (N64, 1997)
Dream Land = Kirby Super Star (SNES, 1997)
NOTE: Spring Breeze is a remake of Kirby's Dream Land (GB, 1992) in Kirby Super Star.
Sector Z = Star Fox 64 (N64, 1997)
Saffron City = Pokemon Red & Blue (GB, 1996)
Mushroom Kingdom = Super Mario Bros. (NES, 1985)
NOTE: This can be also advertisement for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the Game Boy Color in 1999.[/COLLAPSE]
Super Smash Bros. Melee (NES, N64, GB, GBA, 1985 - 2001)

[COLLAPSE="Melee"]Bowser = Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996) and Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance (GBA, 2001)
Peach = Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996) and Super Mario Advance (GBA, 2001)
Zelda / Sheik = The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, 1998)
Ice Climbers = Ice Climber (NES, 1985)
NOTE: The Ice Climbers were added only to represent the NES era, not because they were relevant nor contemporary.
Marth = Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SNES, 1994)
Mewtwo = Pokemon Red & Blue (GB, 1996)
Mr. Game & Watch = Game & Watch Gallery 3 (GB, 1999)
Dr. Mario = Dr. Mario 64 (N64, 2000)
Ganondorf = The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, 1998)
Falco = Star Fox 64 (N64, 1997)
Young Link = The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, 1998) and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64, 2000)
Pichu = Pokemon Gold & Silver (1999)
Roy = Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals (GBA, 2002)
NOTE: Roy was likely added to advertise his game.

Icicle Mountain = Ice Climber (NES, 1985)
Princess Peach's Castle = Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996)
Kongo Jungle = Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 1994)
Great Bay = The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64, 2000)
Yoshi's Story = Yoshi's Story (N64, 1997)
Fountain of Dreams = Kirby's Adventure (NES, 1993)
NOTE: This can be also advertisement for Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land for the Game Boy Advance in 2002.
Corneria = Star Fox 64 (N64, 1997)
Rainbow Cruise = Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996)
Jungle Japes = Donkey Kong 64 (N64, 1999)
Temple = Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES, 1988)
NOTE: It is likely they named it "Temple" instead of "Palace" is to capitalize on the success of Zelda: OOT where the dungeons are called "temples".
Yoshi's Island = Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA, 2001)
Green Greens = Kirby's Star Stacker (GB, 1997)
Venom = Star Fox 64 (N64, 1997)
Brinstar = Super Metroid (SNES, 1994)
Onett = EarthBound (SNES, 1994)
Mute City = F-Zero X (N64, 1998)
Pokemon Stadium = Pokemon Stadium (N64, 1999)
Kingdom = Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GB, 1999)
Flat Zone = Game & Watch Gallery 3 (GB, 1999)
Brinstar Depths = Super Metroid (SNES, 1994)
Fourside = EarthBound (SNES, 1994)
Big Blue = F-Zero X (N64, 1998)
Poke Floats = made-up but showcases old and new Pokemon from Pokemon Gold & Silver (GB, 1999)
Kingdom II = Super Mario Advance (GBA, 2001)[/COLLAPSE]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (N64, GBA, GCN, DS, Wii VC, 2001 - 2007)

[COLLAPSE="Brawl"]Meta Knight = Kirby & the Amazing Mirror (GBA, 2004)
Pit = Kid Icarus (GBA, 2004 and Wii VC, 2007)
Zero Suit Samus = Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA, 2004)
Wario = WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! (GBA, 2003) and Super Mario 64 DS (DS, 2004)
Snake = Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN, 2004)
Ike = Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN, 2005)
Pokemon Trainer = Pokemon FireRed & LeafGreen (GCN, 2004)
Diddy Kong = Donkey Kong Country (GBA, 2003) and Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA, 2004)
Lucas = Mother 3 (GBA, 2006)
Sonic = Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii, 2007)
King Dedede = Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (GBA, 2002)
Olimar = Pikmin 2 (GCN, 2004)
Lucario = Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (DS, 2006)
R.O.B. = Mario Kart DS (DS, 2005)
Toon Link = The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN, 2002)
Wolf = Star Fox Command (DS, 2006) and Star Fox 64 (Wii VC, 2007)

Delfino Plaza = Super Mario Sunshine (GCN, 2002)
Mushroomy Kingdom = Super Mario Bros. (GBA, 2004 and Wii VC, 2006)
Mario Circuit = Mario Kart DS (DS, 2005)
Rumble Falls = Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (GCN, 2002)
Bridge of Eldin = The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN, 2006)
Norfair = Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA, 2004)
Frigate Orpheon = Metroid Prime (GCN, 2002)
Yoshi's Island = Yoshi's Island DS (DS, 2006)
Halberd = Kirby: Squeak Squad (DS, 2006)
Lylat Cruise = Star Fox Command (DS, 2006)
Pokemon Stadium 2 = Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64, 2001)
Port Town Aero Dive = F-Zero GX (GCN, 2003)
Castle Siege = Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN, 2005)
WarioWare, Inc. = WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! (GBA, 2003)
Distant Planet = Pikmin 2 (GCN, 2004)
Smashville = Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS, 2005)
New Pork City = Mother 3 (GBA, 2006)
Summit = Ice Climber (GBA, 2004 and Wii VC, 2007)
Skyworld = Kid Icarus (GBA, 2004 and Wii VC, 2007)
PictoChat = PictoChat (DS, 2004)
Shadow Moses Island = Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN, 2004)
Luigi's Mansion = Luigi's Mansion (GCN, 2001)
Pirate Ship = The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN, 2002)
Spear Pillar = Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (DS, 2006)
75m = Donkey Kong (GBA, 2004 and Wii VC, 2006)
Mario Bros. = Mario Bros. (GBA, 2004 and Wii VC, 2006)
Flat Zone 2 = Game & Watch Gallery 4 (GBA, 2002)
Hanenbow = Electroplankton (DS, 2005)
Green Hill Zone = Sonic the Hedgehog (Wii VC, 2006)[/COLLAPSE]
Super Smash Bros. 4 (DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U, Wii VC, 3DS VC, WiiWare, DSiWare, 2008 - 2011?)
@Arcadenik: One thing with your analysis, please tell me why there is such a wide span in Melee in terms of relevancy but not in Brawl? If we're going by cut-off dates, a character in Melee should have appeared in a game somewhere between January 21, 1999 to November, 2001. If this is the case and if relevancy was so important, Marth, Mewtwo, Falco, Ganondorf, and Zelda/Sheik would not have been made playable in Melee.
There are not many major games between January 1999 to November 2001, most of them were from the franchises that already had playable characters. We had Kirby 64, Donkey Kong 64, Paper Mario, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Pokemon Gold/Silver, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages, Super Mario Advance 1/2, Luigi's Mansion... that's pretty much it... while the new franchises that debuted around this period such as Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo, and Golden Sun were brand-new and has not gained enough popularity to warrant a character (not to mention most of them were Japan-only at the time). Besides, most of the content we got in Melee were from the NES era all the way to the beginning of the GCN era such as trophies of Balloon Fighter and Olimar. What was Sakurai supposed to do about this since he would be limited to just two years worth of games.

From Melee to Brawl, we had many major games from many different franchises from 2001 to 2007. Super Mario Sunshine, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Yoshi's Island DS, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Star Fox Adventures, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/LeafGreen/Diamond/Pearl, F-Zero GX, Mother 3, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!, Pikmin 2, etc. Of course, Sakurai now has so much more content to draw from these games. Now, notice how most of the Brawl trophies were from the beginning of the GCN era to the beginning of the Wii era such as Luigi's Mansion and Midna.

The same is likely true for the years after Brawl... the former Japan-only series became international (Sin & Punishment, The Legendary Starfy) and the former retro series became contemporary (Punch-Out!!, Kid Icarus) and the brand-new games from the early 2000's now have established fanbases (Golden Sun, Animal Crossing). Not only that, but many of the franchises with playable characters now have many more games such as Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby Wii, Metroid: Other M, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White, etc. It is likely SSB4 will have stuff from the middle of the Wii era to the beginning of the 3DS/Wii U eras. Sakurai isn't limited to just two years worth of games like he was in between SSB64 and Melee.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: Meh, I actually like Masterpieces. Also, I agree that the Chronicle needs to expand to third-party titles for supporting companies, 3DS, and Wii-U.
Yeah it was odd how Brawl's chronicle excluded 3rd party games. Anyway, like I said, Masterpieces is a waste if you can just buy the titles from the Wii Shop Channel.

Then again, not everyone has the equipment needed to purchase Wii Shop Channel goods.

D

Deleted member

@Arcadenik: The years might be different, but Melee had plenty of titles to draw from to get characters. List of potential characters that may have gotten in SSBM:
- Diddy Kong
- Saki Amamiya
- Ray MK 01
- Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 Lord
- Another Pokemon that wasn't crap like Pichu
- King K. Rool
- Doshin The Giant
- Wario
- King Dedede

Don't tell me we were so starved of characters that we had to resort to using characters that did not appear in a game between the time frame. All of these (Even those I don't really care about) all could have potentially gotten in Melee because they were at least relevant. Even if you take away all the Japanese-only characters, we could have still gotten twenty-five characters in with Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, a good Pokemon character, Wario, and King Dedede.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@Arcadenik: The years might be different, but Melee had plenty of titles to draw from to get characters. List of potential characters that may have gotten in SSB4:
- Diddy Kong (I agree)
- Saki Amamiya (Japan-only, the series was too new to have a fanbase)
- Ray MK 01 (Japan-only, the series was too new to have a fanbase)
- Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 Lord (you mean, Leaf?)
- Another Pokemon that wasn't crap like Pichu (yeah, like Meowth who was suspiciously absent in Melee and only got a trophy from his own game that was cancelled, but yes, I agree)
- King K. Rool (yes, I agree but he didn't get any votes in the Melee poll)
- Doshin The Giant (Japan-only, the series was too new to have a fanbase, he is too big)
- Wario (yes, I agree... he would be better than Dr. Mario)
- King Dedede (Sakurai didn't add him because he was humble, but yes, I agree)

Don't tell me we were so starved of characters that we had to resort to using characters that did not appear in a game between the time frame. All of these (Even those I don't really care about) all could have potentially gotten in Melee because they were at least relevant. Even if you take away all the Japanese-only characters, we could have still gotten twenty-five characters in with Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, a good Pokemon character, Wario, and King Dedede.
It is not perfect but it is consistent for the most part. Also, most of the Melee newcomers had some of the highest votes on the Melee poll, even though some of them didn't appear in games between 1999 and 2001. We don't even know the results of the Brawl poll.

D

Deleted member

It is not perfect but it is consistent for the most part. Also, most of the Melee newcomers had some of the highest votes on the Melee poll, even though some of them didn't appear in games between 1999 and 2001. We don't even
know the results of the Brawl poll.
That's my point. The reason why Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Zelda/Sheik, Marth, and Falco got in was not because they appeared in a game between those time but because they were popular and because they were very important to their series at the time. Popularity and importance played a part in their inclusion, which is why they were relevant, not appearing in a game did not hurt their relevance enough to keep them out.

And yes I meant Leaf.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I think I saw somewhere that Meowth's "game that was cancelled" was never going to be a game at all, it was just a Gamecube Tech Demo that later was incorporated into the Pokemon Anime short that was in one of the "Hey you, Pikachu" games.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
It is not perfect but it is consistent for the most part. Also, most of the Melee newcomers had some of the highest votes on the Melee poll, even though some of them didn't appear in games between 1999 and 2001. We don't even know the results of the Brawl poll.
Meowth not being in Smash is a crime. Shame he already missed his chance. We'll only get one Pokemon newcomer and Zoroark is all but confirmed seeing how they designed her FOR Smash just like Lucario. Clever Gamefreak...

D

Deleted member

Meowth not being in Smash is a crime. Shame he already missed his chance. We'll only get one Pokemon newcomer and Zoroark is all but confirmed seeing how they designed her FOR Smash just like Lucario. Clever Gamefreak...
I think a second new rep is most certainly possible, even plausible. Every game, there has been at least two newcomers from the Pokemon franchise. If this continues, unless that newcomers is 2nd/5th Gen Pokemon Trainer, we're almost guarantee five slots. So while Meowth's doesn't look great, he is certainly possible.

Also, what do you think of Zoroark?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I think a second rep is most certainly possible, even plausible. Every game, there has been at least two newcomers from the Pokemon franchise. If this continues, unless that newcomers is 2nd/5th Gen Pokemon Trainer, we're almost guarantee five slots. So while Meowth's doesn't look great, he is certainly possible.

Also, what do you think of Zoroark?
Like I said, she was made for Smash. I saw parts of the anime movie and it looks like they designed her to be in a Smash game. I talked to Serebii back in the day and he said that they literally made Lucario for Brawl so I wouldn't put it past them to do it again. Personally, I like Zoroark. I think she is a lot cooler than Lucario and her design is less goofy(although I loathed the design of ALL of gen 4 besides Honchkrow, so it might just be me). I would much prefer Zoroark over Victini because we have enough cute Pokemon, and Zoroark has the potential for an awesome moveset.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some additional Adventure Mode inputs, regarding enemies and bosses...

Bosses

Metroid Prime: Metroid Prime features two phases, just like Stallord. The first half requires the player to attack it while avoiding attacks which are based on its body color. It can also attempt to ram into the player as well. When half of Metroid Prime's health is gone, it'll change into its core form. While in core form, Metroid Prime will create shockwaves and even summon small Metroids to try to hamper the player even more. Defeating Metroid Prime in Adventure Mode will unlock the Dark Samus alternate outfit for Samus. Additionally, the Dark ZSS alternate outfit will be unlocked for Zero Suit Samus.

Twinbellows: This beast often moves around from place to place, spitting fireballs at the player. It'll also shake the ground, which will cause boulders to fall. These boulders can be picked up and thrown at Twinbellows to heavily damage it. Twinbellows can damage players just by touching them with its body, which makes close combat moves very risky to use. It is the only boss to have this feature.

Enemies

Chilfos: These enemies only live in cold areas, especially in the level where Kyurem (a possible boss that I've stated several posts back) is fought. They basically use their icicle spears to attack players, but their bodies are very fragile.

Metroid: This enemy will attempt to absorb the energy of players that it grabs. It is heavily vulnerable to ice attacks, and smaller Metroid can be encountered when facing Metroid Prime.

Space Pirate: These enemies would appear in areas that consist of advanced technology. They either attack head on, or utilize various weapons. Fortunately, their stamina is pretty low.

Pirate Commando: These enemies possess more stamina than the Space Pirates, and are equipped with a pulse cannon. They often fight along with the Pirate Commanders.

Pirate Commander: This enemy only appears in ambush areas. It has unusually high stamina, and possesses powerful close combat attacks. It is often accompanied by Pirate Commandos.

Chilly: Another enemy that's found in cold areas. When players get close, it'll surround itself with cold air, which will freeze anyone who touches it.

Bugzzy: This enemy will attempt to grab the player with his pincers, and then hurl him/her at a random direction. While he often appears in forest-themed ambush areas, other Bugzzys may pop up outside of ambushes.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I really don't want to see a 2nd or 5th gen trainer for ssb4. Pokemon Trainer is unique in the fact that not only is he the very first trainer or that he had the remake fire red. He is also the toughest character in Gold/Silver, the anime is based on his design. I'm sure if this is true but I think he's been in more pokemon games than any other trainer (Red, Blue, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Gold, Silver, Heart Gold, Soul Silver)

Now what they could do with Trainer is have a costume change of him with Blue and the Female counter part. It would still have the same pokemon but different trainers. The problem with that is they would have to do more voice recordings.

OmegaXXII

I like those adventure villain ideas, it definetly adds a bit of variety from different franchises, though I'd like to see more legendary Pokemon as well.

OmegaXXII

I really don't want to see a 2nd or 5th gen trainer for ssb4. Pokemon Trainer is unique in the fact that not only is he the very first trainer or that he had the remake fire red. He is also the toughest character in Gold/Silver, the anime is based on his design. I'm sure if this is true but I think he's been in more pokemon games than any other trainer (Red, Blue, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Gold, Silver, Heart Gold, Soul Silver)

Now what tHey could do with Trainer is have a costume change of him with Blue and the Female counter part. It would still have the same pokemon but different trainers. The problem with that is they would have to do more voice recordings.
I actually had an idea like this, though instead of Blue why not have Giovanni instead, hr would offer Pokemon such as Persian, Nidoking, and posssibly Mewtwo!, yes even if his chances as a solo character are scrapped, he could always come back as a trainer Pokemon.

The female Pokemon also seems like a nice substitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom