• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Cut Toad, bring in Diddy and I'm cool.

:phone:
There was a hero/villain/rival theme for my roster at that time (2004). The characters people were telling me to add to the roster were Fox and Wolf, and Captain Falcon and Samurai Goroh. There was few requests for K. Rool pre-Brawl announcement. Most of the DK fans mostly focused their attention to getting Diddy Kong in.

Diddy, please re-read the post. This roster was made in 2004 with the Nintendo DS in mind.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Which is why priority in characters is an issue. Fox cut to?? What..?

Ah well, 3DS and DS is only a 3 away from each other forgive my fan rage.

Still, cutting DK and Fox should never happen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik is no way as classic as DK and Fox. Comparing them will not do. Not at all.

Infact, she's by far the least deserving character getting in Brawl.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
On the debate on Jigglypuff VS Meowth, I know Jiggz'll get in, that's obvious. But just look at this.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Episodes_focusing_on_Jigglypuff
All episodes focused on Jigglypuff.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Episodes_focusing_on_Meowth
All episodes focused on Meowth.

I'm just saying. For those who like Jiggz, ya'll best thank god relevancy doesn't work alone in SSB...

Also, here's the page talking about Team Rocket Meowth. Great detail into his story.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Meowth_(Team_Rocket)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Relevancy alone doesn't work, but if I disregard a character not only because she not has little relevance, except; none at all and list plenty of other reasons I expect not to be as quickly being "disproved" with relevance doesn't mather-stuff. It isn't a statement alone of coarse, but if it HEAVILY weights against said character, a long with 300 pages or so of discussion, and Impa fans STILL bringing up new points... I don't think many read past me saying Sheik is irrelevant. And THEN come with arguments.

Y'all don't know, Sheik is WAY past her prime. Both in Zelda, and in Smash. Know any Brawl Sheik mains? I don't.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Relevancy alone doesn't work, but if I disregard a character not only because she not has little relevance, except; none at all and list plenty of other reasons I expect not to be as quickly being "disproved" with relevance doesn't mather-stuff.

Y'all don't know, Sheik is WAY past her prime. Both in Zelda, and in Smash. Know any Brawl Sheik mains? I don't.

Ok, look. You've made me hit the point to where I will vote for Ghirahim AND Tingle over Impa. For gods sake, man! WHY IMPA OUT OF EVERYTHING ELSE!? :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tingle was never liked. Is yet to reappear as well.

Ghirahim is a one off, but cool. Don't expect him to return, or be in Smash with Gdorf around. I would be cool with him, but if he makes it, Impa's chances are also significantly higher.

Impa was heavily under rated, did most of the stuff in SS besides Link and Zelda, is a character from old times, fitting in Smash the easiest. Cool new design to. And to me, the only likely SS character, therefore, only real chance of a Zelda newcomer.

D

Deleted member

I fail to see how Sheik is the least deserving, considering we got the ****ing ICE CLIMBERS.

And don't give me **** about how "they're the main characters", as they're the main characters in ONE game that's OLD and CRAP.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Tingle was never liked.
Ghirahim is a one off, but cool.
Impa was heavily under rated, did most of the stuff in SS besides Link and Zelda, is a character from old times, fitting in Smash the easiest. Cool new design to. And to me, the only likely SS character, therefore, only real chance of a Zelda newcomer.

If she gets in, Diddy Kong's out :troll: Can't have everything you want ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I fail to see how Sheik is the least deserving, considering we got the ****ing ICE CLIMBERS.

And don't give me **** about how "they're the main characters", as they're the main characters in ONE game that's OLD and CRAP.
Ice Climbers are retro. Retros are the VIPs of Smash. They got revived in Smash for the purpose of being revived.

Can we get past this?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Fun story, I actually bought the e-reader (a peripheral console for the Game Boy Advance) back in late 2002 due to hearing that Ice Climber was going to be a game for it. Most of that consoles library ended up being ports of early NES games (with the only original stuff being made for it being Mario Party-e , Air Hockey, Kirby Slide, and Pokemon Minigames).

Well anyway, when Ice Climber is finally released for it, I get it and play it anxiously. Ten minutes later I am scratching my head as to why Sakurai included characters from such a crappy game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ice Climbers might eventually get removed if wobbling remains. They are pretty glitchy. But Game & Watch will clearly stay.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well anyway, when Ice Climber is finally released for it, I get it and play it anxiously. Ten minutes later I am scratching my head as to why Sakurai included characters from such a crappy game.
Because they were more interesting than the others candidates.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I even made a (more classic Nintendo)-based Fighter. Since it was more of a traditional game, transformations and alternate forms weren't taken into account. Only problem with it was having Diablos in(no Nintendo appearances, but he's my favorite Final Fantasy character, so meh)

Mario, Link, Diddy Kong, Zelda, and most of everyone was the big recognizable guns. There were only 3 Zelda characters. Mainly because nobody was notable enough or had gameplay roles that weren't one-offs.

Also, while America generally hates Tingle, not releasing his game in America got quite a bit of backlash too. It's hard for a charater to be popular when you're ripped of our chance to play as him legally. He might've gained more popularity.(I'm not counting Wind Waker where you barely play as him)

yani

Smash Lord
What on earth does this have to do with anything? Just because people don't main Sheik doesn't mean they don't like her. If we wanted Sheik gone, we wouldn't be debating with you all the time..

D

Deleted member

Also, "has yet to appear again"?

Since Brawl, Tingle has had a second and a third game (Tingle's Balloon Fight, and Balloon Love Trip), a DSiWare app (Too Much Tingle Pack), and several cameos, one of which being in SKYWARD SWORD.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I have known that for years. I was scratching my head at the time about it though (2002).
Y'know, I'm rather sad he passed up the Excited Biker. If you think about how his game plays, and how you would translate that as part of his character, the only outcome is an easily excitable hyperactive guy who has sudden bouts of depression following spells of INTENSE EXCITEMENT. It's really adorable.

And, it's a pretty popular series? Even has its own spin-offs. And while it may not have a constant presence, it has had several new additions to the series - not just ports and remakes.

He and Mach Rider should have been a duo instead of Ice Climbers.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ice Climbers might eventually get removed if wobbling remains. They are pretty glitchy. But Game & Watch will clearly stay.

Adding in tech grabs and perhaps a limit on chain grabs per combo would fix that up. They could also go back to the drawing board for them easily. Something they could also do is make the thing escapable with the right read. That's how vortexes work in other fighting games. It WOULD allow them to preserve that playstyle without much of a problem.

Tingle was never liked. Is yet to reappear as well.

Ghirahim is a one off, but cool. Don't expect him to return, or be in Smash with Gdorf around. I would be cool with him, but if he makes it, Impa's chances are also significantly higher.

It's too early to say Debbie's a one-off, same with Midna as they can come back in different ways. Ghirahim can very easily be the spiritual successor of Vaati, only more fabulous. Midna's a tricky one, but if there's enough demand from either within or outside of Nintendo, they'll find a way to bring her back.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Y'know, I'm rather sad he passed up the Excited Biker. If you think about how his game plays, and how you would translate that as part of his character, the only outcome is an easily excitable hyperactive guy who has sudden bouts of depression following spells of INTENSE EXCITEMENT. It's really adorable.

And, it's a pretty popular series? Even has its own spin-offs. And while it may not have a constant presence, it has had several new additions to the series - not just ports and remakes.
Actually when I bought the e-reader, I picked up Balloon Fight and Excite Bike along with it. Donkey Kong Jr. was also packaged with the system.

I had a great deal of fun with these three games, so I was going into Ice Climber (it was released two months later I think) thinking it would be another example of early NES awesomeness.

I also really enjoyed Excite Bike World Rally. Excite Bike is certainly a series and not a retro title (Excite Bike, Mario Excite Bike, Excite Bike 64, Excite Truck, Excite Bots, and Excite Bike World Rally).

So yeah, I think in hind sight, Excite Biker may have been a better choice if Sakurai was willing to make the character fight without his bike (maybe utilizing his bike for one of his specials like Wario). Heck, I even think Balloon Fighter could have been interesting too.

Ice Climber though is one of the most subpar early NES games outside of the early sports titles (Urban Champion though is worse than Excite Bike).

D

Deleted member

Hell, he probably would have been an interesting choice to fight ON the bike.
Afterall, Sakurai made Wheelies able to jump, so it wouldn't be farfetched to make Excitebiker jump.

A Bike-Fu guy would be more interesting than a tag-team, IMO.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You said Balloon Fighter was very popular pre-Melee, right? Or was that for your 2004 thing? Anyway, that rumor that he was in BETA MELEE, is that one of those fanbase propaganda things like Sigurd? It would stem from Sakurai's comments on the Ice Climbers page, yeah?

I mean, it sounds like he was just joking about him, but I think some people like to think too much about it and suggest there were technical difficulties involved, right? But it is too bad he didn't have more of a presence in Smash. Should have at least been an Assist Trophy. Balloon Fight was a very fun game. My friend and I would turn on Animal Crossing just so we could play that game, lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also, "has yet to appear again"?

Since Brawl, Tingle has had a second and a third game (Tingle's Balloon Fight, and Balloon Love Trip), a DSiWare app (Too Much Tingle Pack), and several cameos, one of which being in SKYWARD SWORD.
It's just a doll though, and its fairly easy to miss.

And those where just mini games right?

Don't really think that makes a difference, Rupeeland would still be his game of main inspiration.

Still, Impa had a cameo in Wind Waker as well, in the room where the Master Sword was. But you don't hear me mentioning that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You said Balloon Fighter was very popular pre-Melee, right? Or was that for your 2004 thing? Anyway, that rumor that he was in BETA MELEE, is that one of those fanbase propaganda things like Sigurd? It would stem from Sakurai's comments on the Ice Climbers page, yeah?.
Balloon Fighter was at one point pre-Brawl (announcement that is) the second most wanted retro character.

Also, yes, that rumor about him being in Beta Melee was unsubstantiated and can be considered to be along the lines of that Sigurd fanbase propaganda. Basically it came from the line of thought that since Balloon Fight had an item, a trophy, and a song, it was supposed to have a character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But the balloon popping thing still hurts him. Mach Rider is still kinda awesome, and I'd like to see him make it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Waluigi, Stanley, and Balloon Fighter for Sm4sh. Can never have enough overalls.

...Balloon Fighter as Sakurai's retro revival MUSINGS, anyone? :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Stanley makes it over Dixie and K.Rool, then hell better freeze over, cause I'd be on fire cause of the RAGE.

D

Deleted member

It's just a doll though, and its fairly easy to miss.

And those where just mini games right?

Don't really think that makes a difference, Rupeeland would still be his game of main inspiration.

Still, Impa had a cameo in Wind Waker as well, in the room where the Master Sword was. But you don't hear me mentioning that.

No. Tingle's Ballon Fight and Balloon Love Trip are full DS games.
But the fact he has a cameo in Skyward Sword AT ALL discounts the whole "doesn't appear anymore" crap.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's a damn DOLL dude... A doll, in a room locked for 65% of the game! Cameo isn't a word I'd think of using to describe that one...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
But the balloon popping thing still hurts him. Mach Rider is still kinda awesome, and I'd like to see him make it.

Olimar can't do **** without his Pikmin aside from a few attacks. The situation would probably be very similar for Balloon Fighter.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa has a cameo in Wind Waker then :/
A far more notable and cool one at that.

D

Deleted member

Problem with that, is that the Tingle cameo discounts that "he doesn't appear anymore and is irrelevant" bull.

The Impa one at this point doesn't change anything. And now you're just going into biased opinion with "more notable and cool".

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's kind of weird to think that Zelda probably cuddles with that Tingle doll at night.

It's like, really? THAT over a bear or something?

D

Deleted member

Tingle IS the only Nintendo hero to get a BJ in-game, so....

*****es luv the Tingle.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A doll Tingle is far less scary than a living one. Probably a sort of Geno thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom