• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Wow, Ridley had a lot more competition back then than I realized

:phone:
How was there being other very highly requested characters competition? He was easily in the Top 5 most wanted characters prior to Brawl's announcement. After Brawl's announcement he was probably the most wanted character after Sonic.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sorry, by "competition", I really just meant other well-known candidates

Yeah, there were many MAJOR Nintendo characters that Melee did not add in.

There was far more anticipation for newcomers in regards to Smash Bros. 3 than I am seeing for Smash 4.

Most of the characters people cared about were added in Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shota Ridley..? Really, this stuff happens when I turn my back from Impa for just ONE DAY?

If I ever see another roster suggested for Zelda with Sheik, Ghirahim and Tingle, I'll cringe...

What Chrono said above is true.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Reflecting on pre-Brawl (pre-Brawl announcement) character requests, I remember that Balloon Fighter actually used to be quite popular. At one point I think he was ever the second-most wanted retro character. However, many people have found his design to be quite bland.

I recently looked more into the Game & Watch incarnation of Balloon Fight, and the protagonist actually has a lot more personality to his design than the NES original.

What's interesting is that this version for Balloon Fight actually has a plot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Balloon Fighter was much like Sukapon and Animal Crossing characters discredited though.

Why do people think Pichu can be completely unique from Pikachu while Impa is blasted off as a clone?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa easily could be. Thing is, Sheik's moves are completely made up, Pikachu's for the most part aren't. And Impa differs from Sheik a lot in Zelda, Pichu only learns some low level moves before becoming Pikachu. :/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No they prefer clinging to an unimportant, 15 year old sub character with decreasing significance, uniqueness, and popularity with each passing game in the actual franchise where the character is from and the only real popularity from where he/she/it is based from isn't the latest game in the line, its the previous one.

Not to mention, the actual series prefer an older character put into a new role, in a new revolutionary game, opposed to revive said character, and kinda even becomes a core character from this point, but no, shouldn't even be considered being put in this game... Because?

Get your facts right sw94 :/

This kinda concludes my want for Impa, and not only that, she has better moveset potential as well.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Browsin' the internet this morning, and I saw this:

Thiis gave me a huge moveset idea for Meowth. I'll be working on that today.

Also, my roster stands:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Deoxys
Lucario
Victini

Also ALSO, I have school tomarrow. AWESOME T_T

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No they prefer clinging to an unimportant, 15 year old sub character with decreasing significance, uniqueness, and popularity with each passing game in the actual franchise where the character is from and the only real popularity from where he/she/it is based from isn't the latest game in the line, its the previous one.

Not to mention, the actual series prefer an older character put into a new role, in a new revolutionary game, opposed to revive said character, and kinda even becomes a core character from this point, but no, shouldn't even be considered being put in this game... Because?

Get your facts right sw94 :/

This kinda concludes my want for Impa, and not only that, she has better moveset potential as well.

Oh Hi, I'm Ness. My game bombed in the US and I haven't had a game since 1995. Wow, it's been 16 years. Golly. At least Sheik had a lot of demand and was in the biggest 3D Zelda ever. But I got in and have been in three games. I'll come back for sure. And so will Sheik. And probably some Melee vets to. Yep. We'll all come back.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Looks good enough, but really don't think Meowth will make it when Jigglypuff is still around.

Ness was a main character from the only game in his series that was released outside of Japan. He and Sheik really don't compare, as the Mother series is much smaller, and has much less to choose from than Zelda. That, and he's actually a long time veteran from 64. If Sheik was in 64 I would've shut my mouth.

And I wouldn't call 8 votes huge demand in any shape or form. Ganondorf was the one everyone wanted. Zelda, Young Link and Sheik had the same amount of votes. Hugely demanded therefore is not true.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh Hi, I'm Ness. My game bombed in Japan and I haven't had a game since 1995. Wow, it's been 16 years. Golly. At least Sheik had a lot of demand and was in the biggest 3D Zelda ever. But I got in and have been in three games. I'll come back for sure. And so will Sheik. And probably some Melee vets to. Yep. We'll all come back.
No. Mother 2 did not bomb in Japan. It is by far the most popular game in the Mother series in Japan. EarthBound did perform below expectations in North America though (I think it sold around 150-200K there, but it was still below expectations).

Still Sakurai, has given serious thoughts to cuts before in the past even with Melee (with Ness and Jigglypuff). We probably would have gotten Mewtwo and Roy if Sonic was not added in so late (of which development resources were probably allocated toward getting Sonic and content from his series in). The only character that Sakurai truly ever wanted to cut was Pichu (Toon Link is just Young Link with a style and name change), and that was because Pichu was pretty much despised by both casual and tourney players. Dr. Mario was disliked by casuals due to how similar he seemed to regular Mario (with most just thinking the only difference was him throwing pills instead of fireballs).

It will be interesting to see what his mindset for Smash 4 will be seeing as he actually went through with cuts with Brawl (even with characters that were well-received by the fanbase). I personally don't want cuts, but I think its possible that we could see much more than just Lucario get the boot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jigglypuff was considered to be cut for Melee? Where has that been said?

Anyways, yeah cuts are pretty likely to me. Especially now with this being the fourth game. Wouldn't be surprised to see some fighters gone, though I think more cuts will happen to the Wii U version with more newcomers, and less cuts and less newcomers for the 3DS version.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jigglypuff was considered to be cut for Melee? Where has that been said?

Anyways, yeah cuts are pretty likely to me. Especially now with this being the fourth game. Wouldn't be surprised to see some fighters gone, though I think more cuts will happen to the Wii U version with more newcomers, and less cuts and less newcomers for the 3DS version.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Looks good enough, but really don't think Meowth will make it when Jigglypuff is still around.:phone:
I think DLC would fit this perfectly.

After yesterday (After I looked over what I typed, I slammed my head into the wall repeatedly), I decided that maybe in order to fit some Pkmn characters, DLC would be involved.

So, let's just get this out of the way: It's possible to have 6 slots, but will* there be? Think about it, there's been 4 slots in melee and brawl (PT not counting). So, in order to resolve this, I decided that the most clever way is to go by fandom and relevancy.

Wii-U:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer Unova
Lucario

3DS:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer Kanto
Zoroark

Now, notice that we don't see our boys Mewtwo and such. Well, let's head over to DLC shop. Let's call it The Trophy Shop.

Shop:
Mewtwo, 4
Meowth, 3
Deoxys, 4
Victini, 3

Ok, notice I added numbers next to them. These are the "Keys" for the character. Ok, the Wii-U has more than enough data to hold, so this overall is very possible. Let's look at the original players:

Wii-U and 3DS:
Pikachu- 0
Jigglypuff- 0
Pokemon Trainer Johto- 5
Pokemon Trainer Unova- 5
Lucario- 4
Zoroark- 4

Now to get to what the point of my DLC idea is: additional characters= key addition. Let's put the basic Key configuration for Pokemon to... 15. So, let's see what we want.
Pikachu0+Jigglypuff0+Meowth3+Victini3(6)+Lucario4(10)+Pokemon Trainer Johto5(15)=15 Keys.
In otherwords, you can add characters by the Key slots remaining. This would work for all charcters. It's a simple and very possible concept in order to make yourself the perfect roster. Now, please note tournys are where problems would occur, but please keep in mind this game wasn't bulit just for competitive souls. An example of a roster set that wouldn't work:
Pikachu0+Jigglypuff0+Lucario4+Zoroark4(8)+Mewtwo4(12)+Deoxys4(16)=16

So, simply put, if you want certain characters, you have to have enough remaining Key slots. If you do not, you have to turn off the character, which you would go to the Trophy Shop, and "Lock" the character. In order to obtain new characters, you'd have to unlock them in-game. For example, the "Lucario Slot" is unlocked by doing something significant.

So, any thoughts? Once again, it's Character Key#/15Key slots.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I could've sworn Sakurai had said he wanted to keep Jigglypuff in because she had such a unique playstyle.

@asage
Haven't we gone over why this is a horrible, horrible, idea?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@asage Haven't we gone over why this is a horrible, horrible, idea?
No, considering the fact this idea for DLC was the first time ever brought up :/ Also, it's just an example of what can be done in order to make your set roster... Btw, i never heard anything about DLC being bad :/

Think about it, honestly. People are always complaining on who they want playable. This is a realisitc answer towards the problem. Pikachu and Jiggz are the freebies, and the others eat off key slots, depending on their size/data supply (What they can do, and such).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fandom?
Relevancy?

Why is Impa being blasted off always now?

I'm for DLC, but don't see it happening. At most, a stage or so, or brought back classic stages. Don't expect characters out of it tbh.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The thing is that most Smash fans in regards to Pokemon only want Mewtwo back. They don't care about egalitarian representation for Pokemon generations. Heck, they barely even care about a 5th-generation representation. Zoroark is mostly just expected not wanted, and Victini's fanbase is small in comparison to Mewtwo's.

Really, most Smash Bros. and Pokemon fans would be satisfied if Smash 4's playable Pokemon representation was just all of Brawl's playable Pokemon being brought back as well as Mewtwo being brought back.

As to where Sakurai said he was considering to cut Jigglypuff in Melee, its on the Japanese Melee site for Jigglypuff's page. In it, Sakurai mentions that he was thinking about removing Jigglypuff, but thought about how sad Jigglypuff's fans would be, so he decided to keep her.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Fandom?
Relevancy?

Why is Impa being blasted off always now?

I'm for DLC, but don't see it happening. At most, a stage or so, or brought back classic stages. Don't expect characters out of it tbh.

Fabulos Ghirahim and Gender Confused Shiek is why ;)

I know it won't, but it's just an idea to spark interest. It shows that there are ways to fit characters in. Simply put, it was more of a thought process that could happen, but probably won't.

The thing is that most Smash fans in regards to Pokemon only want Mewtwo back. They don't care about egalitarian representation for Pokemon generations. Heck, they barely even care about a 5th-generation representation. Zoroark is mostly just expected not wanted, and Victini's fanbase is small in comparison to Mewtwo's.
This is why I'm leaving if there isn't a good character to play as on Sm4sh (Lucario, Victini, or something, man!).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo being brought back is suggested by just about everyone, except greedy mofos who want 2 from the 5th gen AND Lucario :/

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@asage
No, I'm pretty sure you've brought this up. You say that this game wasn't intended for competitive players, but that's irrelevant. The problem still stands that your idea involves swapping around characters based on slot points which is stupid since you will run into a conflict regarding someone's favorite character not being available.

I have no problems for DLC as a whole, but I can't say I'm a fan of the way Capcom handled their DLC for Marvel and Street Fighter IV where it's paying for a key to get them.

As for Pokemon, the only ones I want to see at this point are Mewtwo (DUH!), Meowth, and maybe Victini.

yani

Smash Lord
I'm pro DLC, but I'm really not expecting characters. I hope I'm wrong though..

I'm not a fan of exclusives though :S

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's a good idea nonetheless, but just don't agree with your way of doing it... I hope version exclusives become DLC, by connecting both games to each other, once. And by far less characters than you suggest. At most, maybe 4 characters. I could see Roy become one if IS actually is gonna make a FE6 remake.

As for Pokemon, I want Mewtwo and Zoroark looks more interesting than Victini to me at this point.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why have version exclusives anyway? All that's going to do is make people mad. I myself am irritated by the fact that Baraman and Pacman are only on the Sony platforms for Street Fighter X Tekken, at least for now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's a way to compromise Impa vs Sheik, have Impa in Wii U, Sheik in 3DS. Basically. It's the only version exclusives I can think of now, besides Wii U newcomers, as I think 3DS will have less characters.

yani

Smash Lord
Why have version exclusives anyway? All that's going to do is make people mad. I myself am irritated by the fact that Baraman and Pacman are only on the Sony platforms for Street Fighter X Tekken, at least for now.
Agreed. Plus the fact that Sakurai said the custom character on 3DS will be transferred to the Wii-U makes me believe there won't be exclusives. People will complain about being able to transfer their custom and not other characters.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@asage
No, I'm pretty sure you've brought this up. You say that this game wasn't intended for competitive players, but that's irrelevant. The problem still stands that your idea involves swapping around characters based on slot points which is stupid since you will run into a conflict regarding someone's favorite character not being available.
Possibly explain when I ever brought this up. I've spoken of DLC generally, but not in this way. I'm mainly speaking of Tiers when I say "the game wasn't intended for Competitive players". If this idea, let's imagine, happens, obviously, it'll happen for EVERY series (Mario, Link, etc). You wanna argue data at that point? Be my guest.

I have no problems for DLC as a whole, but I can't say I'm a fan of the way Capcom handled their DLC for Marvel and Street Fighter IV where it's paying for a key to get them.
My idea isn't paying keys, it's taking the key already inscribed in the character, and replacing them if needed in order to fill up the Master Key slot, which for Pokemon (in my example) is 15.
Answers underlined. Honestly, if you add 100 characters via DLC, game graphics better be the same as Brawl's, which isn't a problem, except for newcomers. If anyone knows how Pokemon events work (Mewtwo event, Rayquaza event), I could suspect no key. But overall, by analysis, this is possible.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Customizeable character, not custom character. There's a difference between those.

100 DLC characters... Boy u mad?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No. Mother 2 did not bomb in Japan. It is by far the most popular game in the Mother series in Japan. EarthBound did perform below expectations in North America though (I think it sold around 150-200K there, but it was still below expectations).
I meant North America. I changed it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok, cause otherwise the game will be out in 2032...

Ness also made it in cause of relevancy.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Oh, BTW I'm playing Pokemon: Emerald all over again. God, I love that game. I even started off with a female Treecko :grin: (Transfer to Black/Make baby gods :smirk:)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Does anyone else have any comments of what I wrote about Meta Knight back in 2004? I still find it funny that people foresaw him being a broken character well before he was revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom