• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I think people are forgetting the fact that Isaac and Saki are the faces of their franchises. You guys using Ike's inclusion in Brawl as way too much of a "rule". You're forgetting that Marth, essentially the face of FE, WAS ALREADY IN THE GAME! This whole "relevance" argument against Isaac and Saki is totally moot because the people who aren't fanboys of their franchises won't have any idea who the **** Matthew and Isa are. But they WILL know Isaac and Saki.

Also, Star: That picture is utterly terrifying. Where the **** did you find it?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Against Isaac and Saki the relevance argument makes less sence, but that's not the case for all characters.

:phone:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kuma: I'm not against it. It really varies IMO. I was put off because Sheik was included despite not being in TP. I liked Ganondorf's design though and DK wasn't that bad too.

I more of calculate it from what kind of fan reception it would get and how representation should be done in order to cater to old fans and new fans alike.

I mean, more fans (and even NON-fans) would be familiar and have easier time to pick up with this:

than this: (Manliness versus Teenager Manliness?)

Also, it's said in Dark Dawn the Adult Isaac just disappears away while Matthew's gone at his journey. I think then that kills Adult Isaac's chances in means of revelancy and everything.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What..? Isaac disappears in Dark Dawn? I haven't played it yet so...

Anyways, Isaac for Smash 4.
Matthew for Smash 5.

That's if Dark Dawn gets its sequel.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Adult Isaac is more like a tutorial partner and doesn't do much in Dark Dawn, to be honest. But he's in all three games. I think the default should be young, but I'm not against having his fatherly figure as an alternate costume at all.

Plus, I don't think every summon from The Lost Age made it to Dark Dawn, so there's a lot of various Final Smash ideas.(No, not Iris, who'd be more broken that Super Sonic, sadly)

yani

Smash Lord
And how do I know you're not trying to hide your opposition behind some fabricated justification. People don't seem to be having a problem with having the most updated design of a character in a crossover. Let me guess, you'd rather have the OoT designs for the Zelda characters because you wouldn't want to put off fans of OoT? Perhaps Little Mac should have his Brawl design instead of his Ambiguously Brown look in Punch-Out Wii or Pit and co. should retain their original NES designs.

Stop living in the past and move on.
Same can be said for people expecting SS designs, Zelda Wii-U.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Adult Isaac is more like a tutorial partner and doesn't do much in Dark Dawn, to be honest. But he's in all three games. I think the default should be young, but I'm not against having his fatherly figure as an alternate costume at all.

Plus, I don't think every summon from The Lost Age made it to Dark Dawn, so there's a lot of various Final Smash ideas.(No, not Iris, who'd be more broken that Super Sonic, sadly)
I hope Isaac still returns then in the next game. Or at least is heard of again a long with my other old favorites as Felix, Ivan and Jenna.

Mario Galaxy was also in development during Brawls development, but nothing from the game is in Brawl, instead we get the FLUDD, and Isle Delfino.

size=1]:phone:[/size]

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I hope Isaac still returns then in the next game. Or at least is heard of again a long with my other old favorites as Felix, Ivan and Jenna.

Actually, many of them are known for being characters' parents. Including those Jenna, atleast.

Anyway, I doubt he'll be completely gone.
He isn't dead in Dark Dawn, so...

Also, we got Sunshine stuff because we got 64 stuff in Melee. Also, it's possible that a lot of the stages and stuff were made to not skip a generation either.

Really, the only generation of any series to be skipped in 3rd Gen Pokemon(and even then, that completely depends on that character data. Was it Minun and Plusle? If so, then all 4(at the time) generations were taken into account. And we all know Lucario was severely more popular than the Pichu Bros. knock-offs, and... well, more original overall. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Replace Matthew with somebody with a more unique style, like Svetta, and we got something. Presuming all 8 come back for the Dark Dawn's sequel. A Beast Man-style user could be interesting. We have beasts, fist fighters, but none that really emphasize on their animal spiritual style. Falcon is fairly close, Falco has a few bird-style moves. But nobody is truly emphasized. IMO.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I understand that yani made a mistake, but was the eye roll really necessary? Sounds kinda condescending if you ask me
Sorry, I was just poking fun a little bit.

I didn't mean to be rude or anything.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If I was not a tough manly *** mofo I'd take offense from all the comments about Impa before. But I don't, and a emoticon really doesn't add in anything. It's words. Not smiley faces that make something offensive or not. Unless talking to girls. There a :) , ;) , <3 can really make a change. When its well timed of coarse.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Replace Matthew with somebody with a more unique style, like Svetta, and we got something. Presuming all 8 come back for the Dark Dawn's sequel. A Beast Man-style user could be interesting. We have beasts, fist fighters, but none that really emphasize on their animal spiritual style. Falcon is fairly close, Falco has a few bird-style moves. But nobody is truly emphasized. IMO.
Wolf?

10lobos

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
When it comes to redesigns, I am fine with all of them except Ridley and Isaac. As a Metroid fan, Ridley's Other M look is the biggest offender because he is not meant to be too muscular, the face looks too terrible compared to the other designs, and don't get me started on the tail's tip.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Why would people want the newer characters? That's like wanting Diddy over DK

The older DK isn't in Smash though. Its the second DK, who's design comes form DKC, which is when Diddy showed up.

Really now, there isn't any true face to either the GS or S&P series, because they keep changing protagonists. There's just a first character who seems to get all the preference in these sort of debates. Now Sakurai is actually sort of unpredictable when it comes to these things, since he has second generation characters (Like Ness and DK) and first generation characters (Like Marth and technically some of the later Pokemon decisions) but if I had to make a guess, its based off of where the series is at the time he decides the roster. Fire Emblem had been dead for a bit at the time of Melee, but was getting a revival, so it had both Marth and Roy. The Mother series wasn't really dead at the time of the original Smash, but Ness was chosen since Lucas couldn't be at the time. The original DK had been passed up a long time ago, and the current one was the DK that we mostly all know, and he was chosen. Gen 2 hadn't come up in 64, was still linked heavily in Melee, and had remakes prior to Brawl, so it was relevant all throughout.

Thus it would actually be interesting to see how GS and S&P fair (If they get anything) because they aren't old series, and they have updated recently, but with both its the future generation which is essentially repeats of the previous.

Now that still leads me to the Saki thing which has been bugging me, since people seem to be justifying him through Isaac, even though Isaac is totally different/hasn't been included. Isaac has had three games, not one, and his series always was international. Saki started off as Japan only, and then had a digital download release + AT which then pushed his series into getting a sequel that went international, though not with him in it. That being said, is there ANYTHING that justifies him over Isa outside of being first?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
DK, Diddy, Squirtle, Fox...

I can't see anything Fox-based besides his voice and stance.

DK and Diddy are already animals anyway. I'm talking about actual regular humans/machines using an animal style. Seeing an animal fight in their appropriate style is too common and not that unique. It's completely expected.

As for Squirtle, what I said earlier. I expect an animal-based character to fight similar to their style. Fox... yeah, I don't see a fox-based style there. Wolf, Falco, I can see it. Uh... how many other ones? Samus technically? Since she's almost part-bird?

@Metal Overlord: Let's be honest, the anime isn't heavily referenced Pokemon-wise in Brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How the heck does Fox sound like a fox in his voice? Or his stance for that matter?

yani

Smash Lord
The first DK is still called Donkey Kong, who is in Smash. DK just ended up being confusing with who is who (DK Cranky DKjr )

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The first DK is still called Donkey Kong, who is in Smash. DK just ended up being confusing with who is who (DK Cranky DKjr )

Cranky IS in Brawl in two stages. Jungle Japes and 75m. But you're playing as his son/grandson.(I always forget which one it is) Now, as for Smash, we don't know if the DK playable is DK Jr. himself. I'd have to check the Trophies, really.

yani

Smash Lord
We play as Donkey Kong Jr. , the original Donkey Kong grows up to be Cranky. Rare wanted Diddy Kong to be DK JR though

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Piedman(can't resist, do you mind the nickname?): I mean a human using a very specific animal style. I want to see that. I think that could made Svetta a solid choice, while referencing the second set of the Golden Sun story.

@Yani: Yep.

@Metal Overlord: I do agree. I think it's because when Sakurai said no characters originating from Anime/Manga allowed(even if he meant third party), he tried to keep the same references from happening to avoid a Double Standard. Which is silly, since it's third party, not first party, that's a problem.

I wouldn't mind if he dropped it if we could get a chance of Captain N.

DK Jr and the current Donkey Kong are canonically one in the same. Diddy Kong is a new entity based somewhat off of Jr.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And Nintendo blasted that of cause they're not similar enough. Little did they apparently knew DK Jr. was still play able in DKC, and still is. :awesome:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@HyperFalcon: I do agree. I think it's because when Sakurai said no characters originating from Anime/Manga allowed(even if he meant third party), he tried to keep the same references from happening to avoid a Double Standard. Which is silly, since it's third party, not first party, that's a problem.
I wish I could agree with myself that often :awesome:

Lol, I do agree with you on that, though

yani

Smash Lord
Wait... I thought DK Jr. was the son of Cranky who was the original DK and is the grandfather of today's DK?

Lol, I'm confused
The OG Donkey Kong grew up to be Cranky Kong.
The Donkey Kong Jr. grew up to be the current Donkey Kong

and somewhere along the lines Diddy Kong is DK's nephew.

Rare originally wanted Cranky to be his own character, the Donkey Kong from DKC to be Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong in DKC to be DKJr. Nintendo didn't like this, and here we are today with Diddy Kong :awesome:

Bottom line - Every playable Donkey Kong is DKJr. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom