• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If Zelda relevance did not mather explain me this:

Zelda characer of choice in N64: Ocarina of Time's Adult Link (despite the younger Link being more "important" to Sakurai)
Zelda characters of choice in Melee: Ocarina of Time's Adult Link, Young Link (also Majora's Mask), Zelda / Sheik and Ganondorf originally planned with a sword he didn't even use in Ocarina of Time but a DEMO of what was to be the next Zelda game (turned out to be Wind Waker)
Zelda characters of choice in Brawl: Twilight Princess' Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, an unused Sheik model given to Sakurai by the makers of TP, and Toon Link from the Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass.

Only in Brawl it did not mather, it seems. But Brawl was lazy with Zelda characters, and you know it. And again, only Sheik stands in the way of propper representation.

All characters in Smash have a fanbase, heck even Pichu and Dr.Mario do. That's why we have a frequent poster called PICHU FAN here, and Shorty who wants a Dr.Mario revamp which I honestly doubt it gonna happen. Those 2 where easily the least deserving characters in Melee, and in Brawl, Sheik is the least deserving. Yet all 3 of these characters got their fanbases. Didn't stop them from cutting characters earlier, won't stop them from doing so now.

Besides, Sheik's moveset is 100% MADE UP. NOTHING that Sheik does in Melee and Brawl has she ever actually done in Zelda: Ocarina of Time (would like to bring up other titles, BUT I CAN'T AS SHE DOESN'T APPEAR IN THEM). The Needles, the Chain, even the transformation ; as Sheik was a change of clothes with an alternate NAME as for Zelda to hide herself, in just ONE instance. She actually did so, to avoid getting captured by Ganondorf. Well I don't want to spoil to much but: Skyward Sword has no Ganondorf for Zelda to hide herself from.

Impa also has far more fighting potential as shown in Skyward Sword, both off screen and on screen. I would elaborate, but Skyward Sword is a recent title, and yet have to finish it. Which of coarse makes me hold back in these sort of arguements a lot, which leads to people mis intrepretending them. :glare:

All of the other characters you mentioned, Ice Climbers, Pit, Mr.Game & Watch are from Nintendo RETRO franchises. As far I know, Zelda is still getting recent titles. Quite a lot actually, which makes even the most warranted characters from MY personal favorite series almost be considered retro <_< Namely Dixie Kong and King K.Rool.

Also to Pieman: I'd agree on the uniqueness of Zelda / Sheik if other characters as Zero Suit Samus and Pokemon Trainer where not added as new concepts. This, togheter with the more than rumoured planned Diddy and Dixie duo makes me believe the Zelda / Sheik combination is not the most unique thing at all, as is infact more than outdated.

Peach has the turpings as her Down B cause it's a throwback to the very first game she was playable in. But most people even suggested she should have more Super Princess Peach attacks pre-Brawl actually. But that doesn't mather, as Peach, unlike Zelda, is still the same person every time. Every Zelda game takes place in a whole different place and time, which was also discussed last page. :/

Also Mewtwo WAS unique. He's the only cut unique moveset from Brawl, with a massive popularity to boot. His seniority far outclasses Sheik, as does his popularity, importance, and appearances.

Zelda is as much "flavor of the month" as Pokemon and Fire Emblem are to a degree infact. Maybe less so, cause we (most of the time) have our 3 main characters: Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf, not always). The rest of the serie's favorite characters are one offs, and even there Sheik fails to the likes of Midna, Skull Kid and Ghirahim easily. Now I wouldn't go as far as Sheik not being a better choice than THOSE, but only for Melee I would say that's true. Actually Skull Kid instead of Sheik in Melee, and Midna instead of Sheik in Brawl would easily be received just as well, if not better (sans the Skull Kid fans getting their character cut). Also, "flavor of the month" could also go to Toon Link for replacing Young Link, but you don't mention that because..?

Impa infact stands out, especially in Skyward Sword, as a re-occuring character getting a huge boost in story significance. It's like, Skull Kid coming back, and turns out to be the ACTUAL MAIN villian. If that where to happen, don't you think Skull Kid would be massively suggested?
I think so, but the fact is, Impa appeared before any other Zelda character of old got their "revival", even before Sheik, who was scrapped from Twilight Princess, and in the next major console game Skyward Sword: Impa took over any role Sheik would've been able to do. I'll avoid spoilers, but seeing as though I played through Skyward Sword twice since yesterday, why shouldn't you believe me on this? The fact she didn't appear in Melee was cause her most major role was in Skyward Sword obviously <_<

And to continue, I believe Impa will be more re-occuring now, and even if there was the be a next Smash Bros., she'd maybe be able to have her own spot instead of taking Sheik's. Perhaps theres an extremely slight chance Sheik herself would return in a next Zelda, but I don't think that will happen. Why? Cause she was a disguise for Zelda, and people would look through the plot hole right away. Impa therefore has much more going for her than given credit for, and I am just spreading the message, mainly cause I find the clinging to Sheik mostly unncececary, and mostly defended by people who don't even know the Zelda series so well.
Impa over Sheik=unhappy Sheik fans. By your logic, Pichu should've replaced Pikachu because he was the more recent.

BTW, characters with made up movesets:
Luigi(minus Neutral B)
Peach(minus Down B)
Bowser(minus Neutral B and Down B)
DK(minus Down B)
Wario
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
ROB
Meta Knight
Olimar(minus Neutral, Side, and Down B)
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Captain Falcon
Pikachu(minus Down B)
Lucario(minus Neutral B)
Ness(minus Neutral and Down B)
Lucas(minus Down B)
Mr. Game and Watch

Yeah. I don't think original movesets are a problem.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pikachu had his own game, Yellow. And besides that, Pikachu is re occuring. Sheik is not.

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sheik did have an aspect to her moveset that was taken from Ocarina of Time, the Up B (Vanish/Deku Nut).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sheik also stole her whip from Castlevania

-Simon confirmed for Melee

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am very curious about what titles get announced at E3 2012. We probably won't see anything with Smash 4, but we probably will at least get some titles that may affect Smash Bros. content. In the short term though, Uprising will be the biggest boon we have for us speculators (characters, stages, items, Assist Trophies, music). Though even Uprising is two months away. I am interested in when Sakurai will publically announce him having started development on Smash 4. I think there is a could chance that he might not say anything for a while so as not to be inundated with a deluge of twitter posts asking "insert my character of choice for Smash Bros.".

D

Deleted member

@Diddy Kong: Given how difficult it is to find truly highly requested characters, this is the best we can go by for now.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Bronto Burt, Bonkers, Blade Knight, Waddle Dee, and Waddle Doo were going to be enemies in SSE. :V

Poor guys. Overshadowed by the Forbidden 7.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
...It's been a little while. Still at Las Vegas havin' a good time. Any info on new games or SSB4, by chance? Or just same ****?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
bronto burt, bonkers, blade knight, waddle dee, and waddle doo were going to be enemies in sse. :v

poor guys. Overshadowed by the forbidden 7.
Noooooooo! Not the Waddle Doos! D:

@Asage: Same ****. More Impa crap.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
BTW, characters with made up movesets:
Luigi(minus Neutral B)
Peach(minus Down B)
Bowser(minus Neutral B and Down B)
DK(minus Down B)
Wario
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
ROB
Meta Knight
Olimar(minus Neutral, Side, and Down B)
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Captain Falcon
Pikachu(minus Down B)
Lucario(minus Neutral B)
Ness(minus Neutral and Down B)
Lucas(minus Down B)
Mr. Game and Watch

Yeah. I don't think original movesets are a problem.
Luigi: Up B has appeared in some form in Super Paper Mario. Should have had Poltergeist for Down B.
Peach: Toad is not made up, neither is her ability to float.
Bowser: mostly made up, but believably so. He has most characteristics you'd expect anyway
DK: check Bowser, also, carrying people around is a throwback to DKC. Forward Air is an actual attack in DK64. Should've had his roll and a Barrel Throw
Wario: Forward Smash, Side B, for the rest some punches and throws are from Wario games
Zelda: all her spells are from OoT, but with an own interpretention
Sheik: nothing lol
Ganondorf: Forward Tilt in Brawl is from TP. Bad example as he needs new moves
Ice Climbers: B appears in some form as an obstacle in the games, and there is Forward Smash.
ROB: no idea. But I guess Down B?
Meta Knight: Forward Smash, all Bs. And possibly even more
Olimar: no idea actually
StarFox characters: B represents Arwings lasers, Down B barrel rolls
Captain Falcon: made up
Pikachu: Side B, Up B, Down B
Lucario: Side B, B, Down B
Ness: Forward Smash, Up Smash, Down Smash, all B moves even though borrowed
Lucas: Rope Snake, all Bs same as Ness, Forward Smash, AAA to an extent
Mr.Game & Watch: almost ALL his moves are throwbacks to Game and Watch games actually

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...It's been a little while. Still at Las Vegas havin' a good time. Any info on new games or SSB4, by chance? Or just same ****?
Geno has been confirmed as the first character

Lucario is an AT

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So, just a bunch of dumb stuff, still? Well, I'm glad the past never changes -_- I'll be back when I return home. I might post my Sub-Game idea for Sm4sh.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well there was an idiot here pre-Brawl that kept saying Squirtle was more likely than Lucario, and that Squirtle would definitely get in, and he got pretty much got flamed until he was well done. You can only imagine what happened when the Pokemon Trainer update on the Dojo happened. :troll:

Also, one of the pluses of a possible E3 2013 reveal for Smash 4 is that Sakurai will have the Dojo up and running a short while after the reveal. We would get veterans confirmed faster and deconfirmations as well (I am looking at you Waluigi).

By comparison, despite Brawl's 2006 reveal, we got no new information for months. We did get a short teaser trailer in Fall 2006 that did show a few new stages and confirmed Fox, but after that there was no new material until the Dojo started up. I hope this time we get the Dojo a lot sooner, even if that means more stupid updates (or filler updates).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Also, one of the pluses of a possible E3 2013 reveal for Smash 4 is that Sakurai will have the Dojo up and running before then. We will get veterans confirmed faster and deconfirmations as well (I am looking at you Waluigi).
The Dojo didn't start with the updates and stuff until eight months before its release though? Why would it be UP AND RUNNING before an E3 trailer. Which I think you're all being a bit too pessimistic about, but whatever.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Diddy Kong, remember yesterday when you were complaining about Jungle Beat just replacing characters who were already in the game with random other characters? Why exactly does Impa not work like that for Sheik fans?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Squirtle WAS confirmed before Lucario though :troll:

Pieman, that doesn't work cause unlike Sheik, just about everything that was replaced in Jungle Beat was more than staple for the whole DK series. Sheik is nowhere staple to the Zelda series, and the replacement is much like Toon Link replacing Young Link in a sence. But with more alternation to the moves.

Also, there are more DKC fans than Sheik fans. :/ You cannot compare both those things just cause there was replacement.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well there was an idiot here pre-Brawl that kept saying Squirtle was more likely than Lucario, and that Squirtle would definitely get in, and he got pretty much got flamed until he was well done. You can only imagine what happened when the Pokemon Trainer update on the Dojo happened. :troll:

Also, one of the pluses of a possible E3 2013 reveal for Smash 4 is that Sakurai will have the Dojo up and running a short while after the reveal. We would get veterans confirmed faster and deconfirmations as well (I am looking at you Waluigi).

By comparison, despite Brawl's 2006 reveal, we got no new information for months. We did get a short teaser trailer in Fall 2006 that did show a few new stages and confirmed Fox, but after that there was no new material until the Dojo started up. I hope this time we get the Dojo a lot sooner, even if that means more stupid updates (or filler updates).
Also, the "Red for Brawl" thread was pretty funny.

It was pretty much troll bait, and one guy was so sure "Red" would not get in he made a threatening bet.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Dojo didn't start with the updates and stuff until eight months before its release though? Why would it be UP AND RUNNING before an E3 trailer. Which I think you're all being a bit too pessimistic about, but whatever.
That was a typo. I meant the Dojo would start up a short while AFTER an E3 2013 reveal.

As to a later reveal, I think most people in this thread feel now that we are not going to see anything at E3 2012. Initially, we were at least hoping for a CG trailer for Smash 4 at E3 2012, however, considering he has not even assembled a team or started development yet, there is much better chance of not seeing anything than not.

There are many who seem to think we will get a reveal late in 2012 (some time in the Fall), however, right now I am not feeling confident about that. Get used to a long wait. Like I said, Smash 4 is another three years away from release.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I'm still expecting a trailer this E3 and I expect the Dojo to launch in October.

And why is it every time I log on I see Impa brought up?

Since nintendo's been doing these nintendo direct things it's very possible that while we won't see a trailer at e3 2012 that we will not have to wait until e3 2013 to see a trailer

That's a possibility, but if we have to wait until E3 for a trailer I don't think I'll be able to handle anymore of this I need at least some sufficient information on the game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The CG cutscenes were not handled by Sakurai's team though. Not going to say it would be particularly EASY either way, a lot of decisions would have to be made early on and many art-related resources would be required. There's probably college students that have to complete CG shorts in less time than a Smash trailer would be given. :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was surprised that Smash 4 even got mentioned at E3 2011, so we will probably hear "something" about Smash 4 at E3 2012, probably something like "its in development and Sakurai is very hard at work for delivering the best Smash Bros. experience yet." Maybe a few more details about the focus of each version to the game.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Since nintendo's been doing these nintendo direct things it's very possible that while we won't see a trailer at e3 2012 that we will not have to wait until e3 2013 to see a trailer

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik at this point is a staple of Smash though, Diddy. :V
Not really, she misses 64 still, her popularity has dropped significantly since Melee also. And there are other transformation characters since Brawl. If all planned characters made it, we'd have Pokemon Trainer, Ice Climbers, Diddy & Dixie, Zero Suit Samus, Plusle and Minun and even Toon Zelda / ... Tetra :/ I fail to see how Sheik remains truly unique with these planned characters and the fact she is in Brawl seems to me as pure LUCK, nothing else.

I already made a bet couple of pages back, which was that I would stop complaining about Sheik if she got another Zelda appearance which is not OoT, along with dropping Impa as her replacement and I would from that point on even MAIN her in Melee, Brawl and her doubtful next appearance in Smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am going to repeat this again. Assuming Diddy Kong never lets go of his Impa craze, get used to hearing about Impa replacing Sheik because we will be hearing about it for another three years likely if Brawl's reveal of Sheik in terms of time placement to release is anything to go by.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mega Man is quite more of a big deal to Capcom than Sheik is to Nintendo.

Yo I even thought that Zero Suit Samus was already gonna be a legitimate Sheik replacement. My guess is that Impa could easily be a different as ZSS is to Sheik, but if they go lazy mode again it'll be a clone Impa with just different Bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom