• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yuui: Nownow, we don't Smash Bros to gradually turn into Dream Mix Tv Fighters. Really.
Megaman, and then NO MORE 3rd Parties. This a Nintendo-exclusive crossover, you know.

:phone:
Would you please stop reading my posts as a different point than the one I am making?

My point was that SSBF's argument was flawed. Not that "Nintendo should add a bunch of 3rd Parties!!!".

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
IMO who I expect to see in the trailer:
Toad running away from Ridley
-› King K.Rool -› Dixie Kong...

Takamaru, Little Mac.... Then lastly Mach Rider. + Megaman in the shadows. (-U0U-)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yes, because Samus' archnemesis that keeps coming back to fight another day, the one who orphaned Samus, the one who frequently appears in the Metroid series in some form, is LEAGUES behind the likes of characters like Ike, Pit, Ivysaur, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, Falco, etc.

Ridley is as much a name as King K. Rool.

Saying Ridley isn't a big name is saying K. Rool isn't.
There is also the matter of how Ridley has been with the series since its beginning and has been in almost every installment for it (with the exception of Metroid II, Metroid Prime 2, and Metroid Prime Hunters).

D

Deleted member

Not really, considering I'm pretty sure DKC has sold a ****load more than Metroid. But fine, K. Rool AND Ridley aren't that big compared to most in Brawl. VEry confident in that statement.
And I'm very confident in saying that Olimar was a terrible choice for a character.

Doesn't make the statement any more true. It's all opinion.

@Chrono: Exactly.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
No one is saying K. Rool and Ridley aren't great choices or aren't important, it's just that in terms of being WELL-KNOWN, they do not compare with most of the Brawl cast.

They're about even though, I'd say. K. Rool has sort of been falling into obscurity (...sort of not really), yet Ridley has been appearing with more prominence.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Oasis
Sakurai commented on Mach Rider about ten years ago (being considered as a retro character), along with the Urban Champion (that game is boring), Sukpaon (he could be fun), Bubbles from Clu-Clu Land (...why=???), and the Balloon Fighter. Ultimately, the Ice Climbers made it in the Melee roster over them.
Actually, Sakurai considered the following:

Balloon Fighter - rejected because Sakurai thinks he would be useless when his balloons popped (really, what could he do without balloons? And just what would he do with balloons?)
Bubbles - rejected because Sakurai thinks she can't fight (well, how could she fight if she cannot even stop moving at her own will?)
Excitebiker - rejected because how can Excitebiker jump on his bike unless Sakurai has to put down ramps everywhere on the stage (even if Sakurai decided to have him fight without the bike, what would he do? Excite Punch?)
Urban Champion - rejected because he doesn't have anything interesting to offer besides simple punches (it is true... his game was really boring, at least Little Mac's games were more fun)

He added Ice Climbers because he thought it would be interesting to play as two characters at the same time.

As for Sukapon, some fans asked Sakurai on the Melee questionnaires why Sukapon isn't in Melee... and Sakurai apparently told them not to expect Sukapon in the future.

Some fans asked for Mr. Saturn to be in Smash because according to their logic, if Jigglypuff can get in Smash, so can Mr. Saturn. Sakurai told them that their situations aren't the same because Mr. Saturn doesn't have limbs to fight with. So he put Mr. Saturn as an item in Melee instead.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
K. Rool's heyday was pretty much from 1994-1999. After that he missed a lot of major high profile DK games (Jungle Beat and Country Returns notably).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yuui: I meant that if Snake and Sonic shouldn't leave, then it should mean that if Megaman shouldn't leave either. Cue more 3rd parties being added game to game, thus Smash losing it's Nintendo-only theme.

That's what I was getting at.

Kel

Smash Master
Can there please be a separate thread for "I think ____ character should be in smash4" thread?

Anyway:
そうでした! “@H_Futako: @Sora_Sakurai パルテナ一段落おつかれさまでした!今日は初代スマブラの13周年だったと思うのですが こちらもおめでとうございます。思い出深いソフトなのでなんとなく私にとってもこの日は特別です。”

"That's right!@ H futako:

@ Sora Sakurai, congratulations on completion of "Palutena's mirror." I believe today marks the 13th anniversary of Smash Bros., so congratulations on that as well! The more I think about it, the more I feel this day is special."

This is directly from Sakurai's Twitter. If he releases any new information regarding smash, I will post it right away. For now, all he's acknowledging is that Smash is 13 years old and that he is, in fact, done with the Pit game. All he's been talking about lately is the pit game being done and how he's enjoying doing other things.

Not the best news, but it's great to see him at least acknowledge people talking about smash while admitting the Pit game is done. Hopefully we'll see more updates soon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
K. Rool's heyday was pretty much from 1994-1999. After that he missed a lot of major high profile DK games (Jungle Beat and Country Returns notably).
Same with Dixie Kong... and Sakurai still considered her for Brawl! That means being relevant isn't the only thing that matters... sure, it helps but it isn't necessary.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No one is saying K. Rool and Ridley aren't great choices or aren't important, it's just that in terms of being WELL-KNOWN, they do not compare with most of the Brawl cast.
Bingo! Go Oasis.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Meh, IMO that last characters that are actually known by a good chunk of people would be Mewtwo, Little Mac*, Toad, and Mega Man.

*PO is popular no doubt, and PO Wii used nostalgia to sell (look at commericals).

There may be one or two more I'm forgetting about or am on the edge about, but I think we can all agree that obscure characters are going to be a dominant force.

@Kel: I think people beat you to KI being done, anyway Happy 13th Birthday Smash. (and so begins life as a teenage series lol)

D

Deleted member

Yuui: I meant that if Snake and Sonic shouldn't leave, then it should mean that if Megaman shouldn't leave either. Cue more 3rd parties being added game to game, thus Smash losing it's Nintendo-only theme.

That's what I was getting at.

The difference is, not many companies have shown interest in their characters for Smash. So rest assured, there won't be that many.

Another thing is that, Smash represents the history of Nintendo. Sonic is known in Nintendo's history as the big rival series to Mario. Mega Man is deep within Nintendo's history.
Snake....doesn't have much to contribue to Nintendo's history, but he was added in as a favor to a close friend, so Snake was just a freebie. I don't expect any other character to be included for the same reasoning as Snake. (Especially considering that Sakurai was approached about it in MELEE as well.) Brawl was pretty much the "How about next time?" for Kojima.

EDIT: The reasoning on why Sakurai denied the Urban Champion makes me worry for Mac....

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would guess Takamaru would be shown (Unless he did two retros?) in the reveal Trailer.

Villain: K. Rool/Ridley
Female: Krystal/PalMed (You Choose)
Retro: Takamaru
Random: Dixie/Toad/someone else
Third Party: Megaman/None
Hmmm...

Popular: Toad
Female: Palutena
Retro: Takamaru
Random: Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong OR Starfy OR Little Mac
Third Party: Mega Man

Villains are more likely going to be unlockable characters... so I doubt they would showcase villains besides Bowser, Wario, and King Dedede... of course they would showcase unlockable characters only if they are third-party characters, purely to incite hype.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Great find Kel!

Adding on to the Smash/SC guest character thing, Smash, at its core, is already a crossover game (even though it is a Nintendo-exclusive crossover series, but that's beside the point), so since the focus is already getting as many characters from as many different series as desired to go against each other, guest characters don't stick out quite as much in Smash as much as other fighting game series since the game is already designed to bring together various characters from different universes.

Soul Calibur, on the other hand, is a different story as that series has its own unique style and canon to focus on and unlike Smash, it isn't made to crossover a bunch of different series. So that's probably sticking a character from a completely different universe into SC's already established universe would definitely stick out more (and that's also why you always hear devs talking about how they had to try and make a particular guest characters fighting style "fit into the style into the game").

I know people probably already realize all this, but I felt like sharing it anyway, so deal with it :cool:

Kel

Smash Master
@Kel: I think people beat you to KI being done, anyway Happy 13th Birthday Smash. (and so begins life as a teenage series lol)
I posted about it a week and a half ago in this thread and no one knew about it. Good luck finding that information in the sea of people wanting obscure characters for the next smash.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I posted about it a week and a half ago in this thread and no one knew about it. Good luck finding that information in the sea of people wanting obscure characters for the next smash.
Oh okay. You're too fast for us then. lol

And yeah, this thread is pretty rediculous, and this is only the calm before the storm.

D

Deleted member

I remember the reactions to characters at the E3 2006...

Meta Knight: Nothing. No applause. No cheers. No jeers. Just...nothing.
Pit: "OH YEAH!" among applause.
Zero Suit Samus: Nothing.
Wario: Cheers.
Snake: "Ohoho no!" (in response to Snake being "invited". The tone was in a state of "No way, really?" rather than "What the Hell?"). Laughter when he was shown in the box, then heavy cheers and applause when he pulled it off.

Pit and Snake were apparently very popular....

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
EDIT: The reasoning on why Sakurai denied the Urban Champion makes me worry for Mac....
I wouldn't worry about Little Mac. He does know many different punches besides boring straight jabs. Let's not forget that Giga Mac could potentially work as a Final Smash!

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't worry about Little Mac. He does know many different punches besides boring straight jabs. Let's not forget that Giga Mac could potentially work as a Final Smash!
If he DOES have Giga Mac as an FS, I would hope it's for a furious barrage of attacks rather than a playable form like Giga Bowser.

There were a lot cheers when Ridley was shown in the Melee debut trailer, fyi.
I'm trying to find the trailer with outside audio...I can't find it....

EDIT: CRAP! Sorry for the double post....

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Melee, do you remember in the opening when DK was being hit with a big purple ball of energy? Was that supposed to be Mewtwo's Shadow Ball?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mii content I want to see in Smash 4....

- Mii as a playable character
- Wandering Heroes (cat Miis, dog Miis, and rabbit Miis and they all have swords) as Assist Trophy.
- Ultimate Ghost or Dark Lord as a boss in Adventure Mode
- Wuhu Island from Wii Sports Resort and Pilotwings Resort as a stage

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Speaking of Melee, do you remember in the opening when DK was being hit with a big purple ball of energy? Was that supposed to be Mewtwo's Shadow Ball?
Other playable characters that were in the debut trailer that were in the final game were Zelda, Young Link, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, and Pichu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom