• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Earthbound/Mother 2 had more sales. Ness was more popular. Likewise, the newer version of what was nearly the same game(really, the story was barely different) is more recognizable.

And yes, fans from both regions knew who Lucas was. Emulators, remember? You forget the Earthbound lovers. They worked hard to make Mother 3 translated. So yeah, they really did.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Earthbound/Mother 2 had more sales. Ness was more popular. Likewise, the newer version of what was nearly the same game(really, the story was barely different) is more recognizable.

And yes, fans from both regions knew who Lucas was. Emulators, remember? You forget the Earthbound lovers. They worked hard to make Mother 3 translated. So yeah, they really did.
Not everyone know anything about emulators... nor do they know how to use emulators... so basically you are saying only the Japanese fans and American hackers (a very small population compared to American fans) knew about Lucas.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Green Greens and Brinstar too.
(-lvl-);

GSNinja: Just wondering, if there was gonna be another Adventure Mode, how would Isaac be introduced and portrayed in it? Does he have any partic relationships (friendship, rivalry,antagonism) with someone?
When it comes to being introduced in an Adventure Mode, it would definitely be alongside one of the other sword users. Honestly, I can totally see him being introduced with Link or Marth.

Isaac also has tons of different relationships in GS. In all likelihood, assuming Sakurai is awesome enough to even include a GS boss in Adventure Mode, he would throw Alex in.

Isaac's portrayal is slightly more difficult to guess. He would have Marth's demeanor, maybe slightly more aggressive and take on more of a leadership role.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is true.
In Melee, Ness was originally going to be replaced by Mother N64's main character (speculated to be Lucas) until the N64 game was cancelled and later moved to the GBA.
When the N64 game was cancelled, Ness stayed.
So what's the big deal about replacing Sheik? If even Ness got considered being replaced? Jigglypuff might've almost not made Brawl either, given her role in the whole thing.

And we can easily argue Jiggz > Sheik. Ness probably has an advantage over Sheik as well, being in EarthBound as the main character. Not being re-occuring doesn't hurt Ness as much as Sheik.

With that said:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not everyone know anything about emulators... nor do they know how to use emulators... so basically you are saying only the Japanese fans and American hackers (a very small population compared to American fans) knew about Lucas.
It's the only reason the Americans even got interest towards Lucas, outside of porting the game. Ninten had even less. There's a reason why Ness stayed. More people knew about him than Lucas or Ninten. More popular.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Starphoenix said:
It seems like I am only able to play it for so long before I lose interest. There always seems like to be something lacking.
Its a shame, something about BoF has me feeling that way as well. I've encouraged myself to stay consistent with the formula as is, without looking for anything to relate to it.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If Earthbound does not get a Saturn Valley stage I am going to cry. We need another Earthbound stage. That New Pork City trash was an embarrassment and poor substitute for Fourside, which was a dream stage come true. Adding to this is a need for some more, actual Earthbound tracks. We had Mother and Mother 3 tracks but barely any Earthbound tracks. Which is shocking when Earthbound had one of the best OSTs for the entire SNES generation.

Earthbound - Pokey Means Business!
Earthbound - Kraken of the Sea
Earthbound - Otherworldly Foe
Earthbound - Battle Against a Machine
Earthbound - Lost Underworld
Earthbound - Magicant

Its a shame, something about BoF has me feeling that way as well. I've encouraged myself to stay consistent with the formula as is, without looking for anything to relate to it.
Yeah the original Breath of Fire is a little bare in what it offers. I enjoyed it a lot as a child though, so I have nostalgia that factors into it as well. Still though it is a fun game, but I do see how it can come off that way. Breath of Fire 3 does not have that problem since it is the best in the series.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maybe a year ago I got first GS from Amazon, but my little sister dumbed the cartridge to sewers. I was a bit away from the beginning---
(-;~;-)

Didn't feel like getting it for a long time then...

GSNinja: I see, hum. (-lvl-) We're hoping for a lot of actual quest bosses and enemies from the games this time too.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's the only reason the Americans even got interest towards Lucas, outside of porting the game. Ninten had even less. There's a reason why Ness stayed. More people knew about him than Lucas or Ninten. More popular.
Oh, yeah... more people knew about Ness because he was in Smash, not because of Earthbound. Earthbound didn't do that great over here... I didn't know who Ness was when I first played Smash 64. And the biggest reason Ness is more populalr than Lucas or Ninten is because he was in Smash first. I bet if Tingle got in Smash, he would suddenly become popular in America. :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm European, I wouldn't be overjoyed. Quite the opposite actually.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
READ THIS!!!!:
I am known for making unorthodox rosters that adhere to strict formulas. Oasis S once said that " get caught up on weird things that only us nerds can appreciate." I realized this is absolutely right. But, adhering my formula is what makes making a roster fun for me. I know this is not a realistic roster. Merely my own nerdy fantasies. So, when critiquing ths roster, please tell me if it fits well for my own formula. Thank You.
So what is my formula you ask? Well, selections for the Wii U version are based purely on nintendo's home console history, with the exception of Pokemon (structured roughly the same way is always has in smash), and 3rd parties(only on Wii U regardless). The 3DS version is based purely on handheld history. I try to represent series well. I say "Should I represent Panel de Pon?" before I say "Should I put in Lip?". The bigger a series is, the more characters it gets. "Big" is measured by # of games, popularity of the series, and significance of the series. I want a diverse roster with many series represented. So, without further ado, I present my rosters.

Wii U Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Bowser
3DS Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Wii U DK:
Donkeu Kong
Diddy
K Rool
3DS DK:
Donkey Kong

Wii U Mario Spin-offs:
Yoshi
Wario
Paper Mario
Waluigi (He represents Mario Party/Kart/Sports games)

3DS Mario Spinoffs:
Yoshi
Wario
Fawful

Wii U LoZ:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Gannondorf
Tingle
Skull Kid
3DS LoZ:
Link
Tingle
Tetra/Phantom Zelda tranformation
Vaati
I don't have Toon Link because I couldn't put 2 links in the 3ds version, which is more qualified to have 2 links. So I couldn't put 2 in the Wii U. Skull Kid is due to high demand and the strong possibility of a MM remake. On the handhelds, Zelda has little presence, except in Spirit Tracks, where she can't do anything except as a Phantom.

Wii U PKMN:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
PKMN Trainer (same as Brawl)
Mewtwo
Victini
3DS PKMN:
Pikachu
Heracross
PkMN Trainer (Blaziken, Grovyle, Mudkip)
Lucario
Victini

Kirby(both versions):
Kirby
Meta-Knight
Dedede

Wii U Fire Emblem:
Marth
Caeda
Ike
3DS Fire Emblem:
Marth
Lyn
Krom

Wii U Metroid:
Samus/ZSS
Ridley
Dark Samus
3DS Metroid:
Samus
Ridley

Wii U Star Fox:
Fox
Falco
3DS Starfox:
None at the time, though I am considering putting in Fox.
I removed Wolf because I believe putting in a 3rd starfox character was a mistake, much like Dr. Mario.

Wii U Misc.:
C. Falcon
Ness
Pit
Olimar
Tom Nook
Ray
Lip
3DS Misc.:
Lucas
Pit
Starfy
Ray
Andy
Isaac
AR Man
Custom Character
I put in Tom Nook because Animal Crossing deserves a character IMO. The AR man is the little mascot of the 3ds's AR games. He's a WTH and a representative of the Ds applications. I made a moveset for him too.

Wii U Retro:
Ice Climbers
ROB
Kenji
Sukapon
Sheriff
3DS Retro:
Prince of Sable
Mr. G&W
Kenji is the main character of the Iconic NES game Kung Fu. I put him in over little mac because of how iconic Kung Fu is.

3rd Party:
Sonic
Snake
MegaMan
Slime and Chocobo
Pac-Man

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, yeah... more people knew about Ness because he was in Smash, not because of Earthbound. Earthbound didn't do that great over here... I didn't know who Ness was when I first played Smash 64. And the biggest reason Ness is more populalr than Lucas or Ninten is because he was in Smash first. I bet if Tingle got in Smash, he would suddenly become popular in America. :rolleyes:
Earthbound started it. Sheik didn't get a fanbase from Smash, but from OOT. All Smash did was help it, not start it.

Earthbound is more popular than you think. I knew who Ness was, and quite a lot of people did too. One major reason it didn't go over well was the poor campaign idea. "The game stinks!" ...Real nice. It did not help sales quite at all. You overrate how much Smash makes him popular. He got in Smash because he had popularity power. He didn't even use his own moves most of the time. SSB64 garnered MORE interest into the Mother series, which is how people even knew Lucas existed unless you were in Japan. Earthbound may not have sold that great, but it was actually pretty well known.

Tingle wouldn't get popular for getting into Smash. That won't help his chances. What would would be releasing his official game. He's already a stage element and an AT in Smash. He's been there. Didn't help much, now did it? Being playable doesn't mean as much as you think.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
>Mario Spin Offs
>Includes Donkey Kong under that

Didn't read after that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If anyone is gonna feel Ghirahim's emotions when Tingle is in Smash, it will be because they will resent him for taking the slot of their favorite character.... kinda like how some people used to blame R.O.B. for taking Ridley or someone else's slot.

D

Deleted member

Not really. While I wouldn't mind Tingle, I wouldn't be "Outraged, Furious, Sick with Anger" if he wasn't playable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Trust me, they'd rather have Ghirahim in there than Tingle. Likewise, still wouldn't help him. He's loved in one region, not so loved in another. UK might be neutral to him. While I think he would be great, I doubt he would be playable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Never heard of Sheik being all too popular in OoT even. But seeing OoT's success pre-Melee, and Zelda doing jack**** in any game till that point it made sence to have Zelda / Sheik. It even was ****in' awesome. In Brawl I already felt they could've done better for Zelda, and add another character instead of having the already irrelevant Sheik. Now with Smash 4, they REALLY need to get rid of Sheik for a new character. Preferably Impa to keep in Sheik's style of play.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Earthbound started it. Sheik didn't get a fanbase from Smash, but from OOT. All Smash did was help it, not start it.

Earthbound is more popular than you think. I knew who Ness was, and quite a lot of people did too. One major reason it didn't go over well was the poor campaign idea. "The game stinks!" ...Real nice. It did not help sales quite at all. You overrate how much Smash makes him popular. He got in Smash because he had popularity power. He didn't even use his own moves most of the time. SSB64 garnered MORE interest into the Mother series, which is how people even knew Lucas existed unless you were in Japan. Earthbound may not have sold that great, but it was actually pretty well known.

Tingle wouldn't get popular for getting into Smash. That won't help his chances. What would would be releasing his official game. He's already a stage element and an AT in Smash. He's been there. Didn't help much, now did it? Being playable doesn't mean as much as you think.
Stage element and AT =/= being playable.

Ice Climbers... who cared about them, let alone remembered them, before Melee?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Back from Skyrim robbing everyone/Skyloft splroin' everythang!

If Earthbound does not get a Saturn Valley stage I am going to cry. We need another Earthbound stage. That New Pork City trash was an embarrassment and poor substitute for Fourside, which was a dream stage come true. Adding to this is a need for some more, actual Earthbound tracks. We had Mother and Mother 3 tracks but barely any Earthbound tracks. Which is shocking when Earthbound had one of the best OSTs for the entire SNES generation.
Seriously, we need MOTHER franchise stages that actually represent the series. Onett had buildings and stuff that weren't in Onett, and many buildings out of place. Fourside took place at night (the only town you went to at night was Onett and maybe Threed), and the city didn't have nearly that many skyscrapers.

Really, I think Saturn Valley and the village Lucas lives in (what's it called again=???) would be the best stages. Really unless smash gets better MOTHER stages, nobody will know what MOTHER's areas look like unless they watch or play one of the games in the series. The same goes for Fire Emblem.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If anyone is gonna feel Ghirahim's emotions when Tingle is in Smash, it will be because they will resent him for taking the slot of their favorite character.... kinda like how some people used to blame R.O.B. for taking Ridley or someone else's slot.
Frankly, pretty much anyone is better than Ghirahim. I'd be "Outraged, Furious, Sick with Anger", if that creepy guy ever showed his face as a playable in Smash 4.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I can't post any links, but google up "Star Sweep - Sitora" - Arranged Version."

That could be my theme song.

Alternatively Taiyo High School Roof from Rival Schools.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
>What we want in the New Super Smash Bros.
>Mii
>Waluigi

Should I keep on reading...? Does this get any better? I feel my dinner coming up already :o

Also, Pikachu REALLY needs to be smaller in Smash. In Melee he was already even bigger than Dr.Mario. Watching that exact matchup right now, so yeah... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom