• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yuui: Nazo No Murasame-jo won't get repped over Legendary Starfy due the fact that it didn't have any new game done yet, which Sakurai required before even considering Takamaru.

And Famicom Wars over Golden Sun... I dunno but isn't Famicom Wars overshadowed by Fire Emblem?

:phone:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Impa can easily be as popular if she comes into Smash. With extra points of being relevant and re-occuring.

Of which your last two points have no bearing on selections. Impa isn't on Sheik's popularity level, and replacing her will not make her more popular. It's more likely to get HATE instead. Because that's all it can realistically generate.

So far, she's not that popular. She's not unique. Not that many would like to play as her. Yeah, I'm trying to see why she's even a legit choice now. So far, the only people who want her in is so Zelda wouldn't rely on Sheik, which is really the only good reason to bring up whatsoever. Since none of yours apply at all. Plus, I do believe Tingle has more games too. I guess he should get in over her since he's reocurring. Which is actually a pretty poor reason. Try again with reasons that FIT Sakurai's Criteria, not your own personal vendetta against Zelda's better half(in Smash).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Of course I cannot say positively what will and will not be the case, but it would seem logical to think so. Sakurai will probably take notice that four of the series represented by Assist Trophies have had new games since Brawl.
Four? Starfy, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, and Punch-Out.... sounds good... though I would also count Tingle... he had a sequel after Brawl came out.

D

Deleted member

Yuui: Nazo No Murasame-jo won't get repped over Legendary Starfy due the fact that it didn't have any new game done yet Sakurai requires before considering Takamaru.

And Famicom Wars over Golden Sun... I dunno but isn't Famicom Wars overshadowed by Fire Emblem?

Close enough. Samurai Warriors 3 featured him as a guest character with a guest mode that remakes his original game. And best of all, this was released internationally, so Takamaru isn't Japan-Only anymore.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Meh, I still think Takamaru has a good shot, we can't have just newer series, there needs to be a balance.

As for other series, I feel that Punch Out, S&P, and GS have the best shots. I'm still not to sure about Starfy and Xenoblade. And I don't think Miis will get in as playable.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't remember if it was Star or Chrono, but they pointed out that at a certain point in time, the "leaks" started actually becoming true. It was towards the point when people were... I wanna say they used to words beta testing? Or debugging in NA?

So, considering this game is going to be just as, if not more secretive, can we assume that the leaks won't start ACTUALLY happening until the game is deep in development?

D

Deleted member

Why are people seriously believing Golden Sun has a chance for a character?

Little to no Japanese support, not that great of sales that got worse with each game, and is heavily overshadowed by other RPGS such as Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Dragon Quest.
Isaac's support mostly comes from America, and even then, he's overshadowed by Little Mac in that regard.

I even see people that want two or MORE characters!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Because of the clear bias by Sakurai himself within Brawl.
That doesn't necessarily a no-go reason. If a character that people want is denied, sales go down, and the series may crash. Of course, this is worst-case scenario.

D

Deleted member

That doesn't necessarily a no-go reason. If a character that people want is denied, sales go down, and the series may crash. Of course, this is worst-case scenario.

That's the thing. Starfy is popular in Japan, but not necessarily WANTED for Smash.

yani_

Smash Ace
Impa can easily be as popular if she comes into Smash. With extra points of being relevant and re-occuring.
If it's replacing Shiek there WILL be hate for her. Just like people hate Lucario for "replacing" Mewtwo.

(Just to be clear I know he didn't)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't remember if it was Star or Chrono, but they pointed out that at a certain point in time, the "leaks" started actually becoming true. It was towards the point when people were... I wanna say they used to words beta testing? Or debugging in NA?

So, considering this game is going to be just as, if not more secretive, can we assume that the leaks won't start ACTUALLY happening until the game is deep in development?
Yep. The actual leakers that ended up being true did not happen until late 2007 (when the game was likely being debugged by Westerners, I know for a fact that it was being debugged at NOA).

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
And why not?
1. Sakurai has shown interest in him.
2. He's had some recent roles in games. (Important NPC in Captain Rainbow, guest character in Samurai Warriors 3 with a mode dedicated to him)
3. He's got heavy Japanese support. (Which matters more than American support, in all honesty.)
Sakurai has shown interest in a lot of characters over the years that are not playable. Honestly I do not think Sakurai is really going to know or care about those roles. Japanese support is always the best thing to have, but even then that can only go so far. I just do not see it with Takamaru. Not going to say he can't or won't, but given the trends he seems to take I just do not see him happening.

As for your comments on the other series Golden Sun's performance does not affect playable characters. Sakurai does not sit down and crunch numbers to justify each character. The only thing he has ever shown is he looks for a new game in each series (which makes sense considering the trophies), not whether they were critically acclaimed. I agree with you about Famicom Wars which is why I definitely can see it having a stage in the next game.

I'll give you brownie points for mentioning Dragon Quest.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Good god this place moves fast. No point in editing posts.

Meh, I still think Takamaru has a good shot, we can't have just newer series, there needs to be a balance.
There are like, 10 other retro KINDA popular characters, not just Takamaru.

Oh, and DK Jr. That is all.

Little to no Japanese support, not that great of sales that got worse with each game, and is heavily overshadowed by other RPGS such as Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Dragon Quest.
Isaac's support mostly comes from America, and even then, he's overshadowed by Little Mac in that regard.
Isaac consistently beats Little Mac on my polls. (He did in 2010, and 2011)

Yep. The actual leakers that ended up being true did not happen until late 2007 (when the game was likely being debugged by Westerners, I know for a fact that it was being debugged at NOA).
That's insane. I'll be living in Redmond WA in two years, I wonder if I'll hear the buzz? :rollseyes:

Personally I don't feel Xenoblade or any of those Operation Rainfall games warrant a playable character yet.
In terms of newer franchises, who would you suggest over them? Shulk, Elza, and Kanan all seem like cool characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally I don't feel Xenoblade or any of those Operation Rainfall games warrant a playable character yet. The only reason those games had massive demand was because people didn't want those games to be Japan only... they simply wanted new RPG games on the Wii. It isn't necessarily because they wanted Shulk or anyone from those games.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Close enough. Samurai Warriors 3 featured him as a guest character with a guest mode that remakes his original game. And best of all, this was released internationally, so Takamaru isn't Japan-Only anymore.
Still, it's a quest mode in a 3rd party-game. I'd be suprised to no end if that was enougn for Sakurai to rep Takamaru due that. KOEI should be then collaborating with Project Sora when doing stuff for Takamaru.

Starfy at least isn't japan-only anymore too, and not because he was doing a quest appearance in other game. Going on, Sakurai's bias on Starfy seems to clash with the content we've got to discover about him now. (Fighter-related-thing, trophy, lots of stickers)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
That's the thing. Starfy is popular in Japan, but not necessarily WANTED for Smash.
Starfy is at least semi-popular, even here in the States. And people DO want Starfy in Sm4sh. There's an entire group here for it.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much this. The closer to the end of development, the more likely the rumor. I don't think any rumor should be considered seriously to be true until SSB4 starts development and even then, with an obvious grain of salt.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Of which your last two points have no bearing on selections. Impa isn't on Sheik's popularity level, and replacing her will not make her more popular. It's more likely to get HATE instead. Because that's all it can realistically generate.
Ike and Lucario where not hated for replacing Roy and Mewtwo. And don't tell me they're not replacements. How the hell could Ike have a fire blade attack otherwise?

So far, she's not that popular. She's not unique. Not that many would like to play as her. Yeah, I'm trying to see why she's even a legit choice now. So far, the only people who want her in is so Zelda wouldn't rely on Sheik, which is really the only good reason to bring up whatsoever. Since none of yours apply at all. Plus, I do believe Tingle has more games too. I guess he should get in over her since he's reocurring. Which is actually a pretty poor reason. Try again with reasons that FIT Sakurai's Criteria, not your own personal vendetta against Zelda's better half(in Smash).
Well don't expect Waluigi then either. Impa is considerably much more important to Zelda than Waluigi is in Mario.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I know that there seems to be far more interest in Shulk for Smash 4 than Isaac in Japan. I think we might see this too here (or at least Isaac become less requested) once Xenoblade is released in North America later this year.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Personally I don't feel Xenoblade or any of those Operation Rainfall games warrant a playable character yet. The only reason those games had massive demand was because people didn't want those games to be Japan only... they simply wanted new RPG games on the Wii. It isn't necessarily because they wanted Shulk or anyone from those games.

I think the closer it comes time for polling we will probably see a rise in demand for Shulk. Xenoblade is kind of like a modern Earthbound as it is a Nintendo RPG that has garnered a massive cult fanbase (although with more acclaim). I think the way the fans have supported the series make it appear more important than it really is. For this reason, also because of how gorgeous the entire game is, I think at the very least we will get a Gaur Plains stage. Of that I am willing to bank on.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm still "Going Rogue" and keepin my Grizzly shootin' guns up for Kanan. Alaska.

I think the closer it comes time for polling we will probably see a rise in demand for Shulk. Xenoblade is kind of like a modern Earthbound as it is a Nintendo RPG that has garnered a massive cult fanbase (although with more acclaim). I think the way the fans have supported the series make it appear more important than it really is. For this reason, also because of how gorgeous the entire game is, I think at the very least we will get a Gaur Plains stage. Of that I am willing to bank on.
Elza and Kanan have like, 10 votes between them so far. Shulk already is getting a decent amount of votes, so I think you're most definitely right. When the game is released I'm sure his fanbase is going to skyrocket. Much more than Ghirahim and Bandana Dee have even.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ike and Lucario where not hated for replacing Roy and Mewtwo. And don't tell me they're not replacements. How the hell could Ike have a fire blade attack otherwise?
This would work better if they outright replaced the characters. But we both know they DIDN'T. The only person Lucario could've replaced is Pichu, and Pichu wasn't that loved. On the other hand, Sheik is immensely popular, while before SS came out, many might just say "who"? to Impa.

Well don't expect Waluigi then either. Impa is considerably much more important to Zelda than Waluigi is in Mario.

Important =/= Popularity. Likewise, every AT is a character that is considerable for being playable. Impa doesn't even have that, so he's indeed more likely than her. No matter how you slice it, Impa just has a very low chance of getting in in the first place. Really, we're most likely to see Ghirahim or Young Link if we get someone new. Both are immensely popular after all. And for good reasons. Impa took forever to become popular. Ghirahim was popular right away. That says something overall. Who's more popular? Ghirahim most likely.

Nobody cares about importance, nor does Sakurai. I'm still waiting for you to bring up a legitimate reason to replace Sheik with a less popular clone.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: Then by your reasoning, Sakurai doesn't seem to care about Golden Sun much. Given that all it was given was an unlockable Assist that shoots hands that do no damage, but move people, and a song, and a Trophy for that Assist and some stickers.

Face it. Japan has little regard for Golden Sun. Why would Sakurai add a character from it? To appease the American fanbase specifically?

@Shortie: In order for that to matter, you need to make polls that cover different communities. Likewise, I see Little Mac having higher requests than Isaac in various places.

@FirstPoppyBro: Ah, but he's not much wanted in Japan, where it really matters. Not to say he is UNwanted, but to say he isn't one of their biggest choices. Starfy does have support in America though, but it's way overshadowed by the likes of Little Mac and Isaac.

D

Deleted member

Diddy Kong said:
I remember there being plenty of attacks on Lucario for "replacing" Mewtwo (although not necessarily hated). To this day, Mewtwo fans are still bitter about the cut.

But Impa is much more likely to get hate if she did replace Sheik since unlike Lucario or Ike, she is an unpopular request.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I have polls placed here, and Nsider2. That's good enough for me. Youtuber and GameFAQ users are bull****, and I don't want my stuff to get mixed up with them. I don't TRUST them.

Regaurdless, it still stands that on these two PRIME Smash spec sites, Isaac is more wanted than Mac.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Shortie, yes they all seem cool but what else do we know about them? They don't really have established fanbases... and they appear to be similar to each other to me... generic spiky-haired heroes with giant swords and involved in anime-inspired storylines and worlds. We might as well get Cloud.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair he's comparing Hyper's want for Waluigi with his want for Impa
Which, sadly, Waluigi has better chance since he's an AT, of which were characters that were considered to be playable, but popular enough to still be in the game.

Yes, apparently, Sakurai considered Waluigi more important than Impa. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I'm gonna be honest, Java, I have no idea whatsoever. :laugh:

Playing the role of spectator at this point is almost as much as a chore as actually participating in the discussion...

D

Deleted member

"Now that Smash is world-renowned, they don't want to include characters only popular in Japan."

This refers to characters that are popular in Japan, but not anywhere else. (Such as Marth and Roy in Melee)

We're talking about a reverse on that. A character that ISN'T popular in Japan, but is elsewhere.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Like I said the other day, the only unrepped series character that I even like is Little Mac.

Other characters I like include Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, Toad, Mega Man, K. Rool, and Dixie Kong.

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:
I think the way the fans have supported the series make it appear more important than it really is.
Xenoblade will be a mere blip in the radar after the Wii is dead. I assure you of this.

When it comes to minor franchises, Punch-Out!!, Starfy, and Golden Sun still beats it. And we all know that Mii are a significant missing piece of the roster. I really don't think Xenoblade is getting a character, especially with no guarantees of a sequel.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Starphoenix: Then by your reasoning, Sakurai doesn't seem to care about Golden Sun much. Given that all it was given was an unlockable Assist that shoots hands that do no damage, but move people, and a song, and a Trophy for that Assist and some stickers.

Face it. Japan has little regard for Golden Sun. Why would Sakurai add a character from it? To appease the American fanbase specifically?
Well if he does not care for Golden Sun I guess he cares for Takamaru's series even less. I still have not seemed to unlock his trophy, odd? I surely thought he was an Assist Trophy, strange? I guess Golden Sun received quite a bit in retrospect (even a song, a mighty good one at that).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Java: Me and Yuui (and more guys) talk about Golden Sun & Starfy vs Nazo No Murasame Jon and Famicom Wars and rest have some more ImpaShiek debate.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Waddle Dee's appearance in Return to Dream Land endeared me to him, but I don't think Smash 4 is his time. I am currently playing through Skyward Sword, so I hopefully I will have a more informed opinion on Ghirahim by the time I finish it.

I might also be convinced into liking Palutena and Medusa depending on much I like Uprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom