• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I'm gonna be honest, Java, I have no idea whatsoever. :laugh:

Playing the role of spectator at this point is almost as much as a chore as actually participating in the discussion...
Agreed.

Waluigi a little, some Impa, Starfy's chances, and apparently Famicom Wars.
Thank you. Although that begs the question of which topic I should respond to, and if I should respond to a topic...

Off-Topic
GOD DANGIT! IT'S COLD IN MY HOME! I'm shivering typing these words in!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Which, sadly, Waluigi has better chance since he's an AT, of which were characters that were considered to be playable, but popular enough to still be in the game.

Yes, apparently, Sakurai considered Waluigi more important than Impa. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.
Well as you said yourself, Impa only became popular after SS, so that explains why she is no AT and Waluigi is.

And I still don't believe Ike having his B like it is has nothing to do with Roy not being in Brawl.

Mewtwo hasn't got replaced, but priority over a spot for a playable character was rather granted to Lucario. It's all about wording. Doesn't mean that it isn't true..

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Well if he does not care for Golden Sun I guess he cares for Takamaru's series even less. I still have not seemed to unlock his trophy, odd? I surely thought he was an Assist Trophy, strange? I guess Golden Sun received quite a bit in retrospect (even a song, a mighty good one at that).
At the time, Takamaru only had his one game.

Now he has Samurai Warriors 3 and Captain Rainbow under his belt.

Golden Sun since received an unpopular game that is apparently the start the "real" story while the previous two were "prequels".

And if there is a GS character, it's not going to be Isaac. It's going to be Matthew. Camelot is pushing him as the main hero, while Isaac (and Felix) were, again, just heroes of a prequel story.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
#171-180: In this update, Sakurai basically just says that since Smash Bros is popular throughout the world, he can't just use characters that are only popular in Japan. But then he brings up that it worked for the Fire Emblem characters. Once, a black man (yes, he said that) thanked Sakurai for creating Roy just for him.

Another typically cryptic response doesn't necessarily tell us if he will/won't include obscure Japanese characters, but given the general tone of his response, I'm leaning heavily towards no.
Characters wanted in Japan.

Also I do agree, this thread has been moving rather fast. lol

D

Deleted member

JavaCroc said:
Thank you. Although that begs the question of which topic I should respond to, and if I should respond to a topic...
We're also talking about Golden Sun, Takamaru, and Xenoblade. Oh and new series.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And why not?
1. Sakurai has shown interest in him.
2. He's had some recent roles in games. (Important NPC in Captain Rainbow, guest character in Samurai Warriors 3 with a mode dedicated to him)
3. He's got heavy Japanese support. (Which matters more than American support, in all honesty.)
And don't forget that recently (around November 2011) he did have an Japan-only eShop game spinoff called Nimble Sakura Warrior. It takes place years after the original game and revolves around Sakuramaru who is rumored to be his descendant . Which reminds me, I have a good feeling that there would be some eShop/3DS representation in Super Smash Bros. 4 somehow.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
At the time, Takamaru only had his one game.

Now he has Samurai Warriors 3 and Captain Rainbow under his belt.

Golden Sun since received an unpopular game that is apparently the start the "real" story while the previous two were "prequels".

And if there is a GS character, it's not going to be Isaac. It's going to be Matthew. Camelot is pushing him as the main hero, while Isaac (and Felix) were, again, just heroes of a prequel story.
Whoa whoa whoa, back the train up. You are talking about two minor cameos compared to main to a main entry in a series. Those or two vastly different things. Your second point about the story and all that is really rather minor. Like I said before those are issues that Sakurai is not going to change a decision he makes for the roster.

D

Deleted member

And don't forget that recently (around November 2011) he did have an Japan-only eShop game spinoff called Nimble Sakura Warrior. It takes place years after the original game and revolves around Sakuramaru who is rumored to be his descendant . Which reminds me, I have a good feeling that there would be some eShop/3DS representation in Super Smash Bros. 4 somehow.
There was nothing related to Takamaru in that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well as you said yourself, Impa only became popular after SS, so that explains why she is no AT and Waluigi is.
Wasn't the point, though. The point is that Impa's popularity has yet to dwarf Sheik and probably never will due to Smash itself.

And I still don't believe Ike having his B like it is has nothing to do with Roy not being in Brawl.
He took a few pages from Roy. But that's it. Nothing more. It would've been a moveset that fit Roy, but it doesn't matter, since he didn't replace him.

Mewtwo hasn't got replaced, but priority over a spot for a playable character was rather granted to Lucario. It's all about wording. Doesn't mean that it isn't true..

The only character to be outright replaced was Pichu. His lack of data says a lot. He wasn't considered. And then two new Pokemon characters came in. Either of them could've replaced him. Nobody else got replaced.

The thing is, you WANT Sheik to be replaced outright. Sheik is supremely popular, quite a lot more than Pichu was, and wasn't even a Scrappy. Some people did hate on Ike and Lucario for being playable while Roy and Mewtwo weren't(thus, got chosen instead, since they had more priority). I do not like them, but they were both very legit choices that I will not deny.

Impa has none of this. She's not a legit replacement whatsoever. If you want her to be different, which is the only way she can get in, I implore you to make a luigified(at minimum) moveset of her. Then people might believe she stands a ghost of a chance.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Shortie, yes they all seem cool but what else do we know about them? They don't really have established fanbases... and they appear to be similar to each other to me... generic spiky-haired heroes with giant swords and involved in anime-inspired storylines and worlds. We might as well get Cloud.
Well, then I guess we get Kanan! She is a girl, and has long hair. Seriously though, you could say that about every character you don't know about. Takamaru looks like a lame version of Mitsurugi to me. Isaac? Generic child hero. Ghirahim? Stereotypical Yaoiboy from a female oriented anime (Like Sailor Moon)

Once we get to see some of these characters in-game, I'm sure you'll have more reason to like them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want a Pushmo stage. I love that game!

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought, why does everyone think we're guaranteed to have a new FE character? Marth and Ike are good enough to represent the series. Plus, both characters had appeared in 2 games each by Brawl's release; Krom's first game hasn't even finished production.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Just a thought, why does everyone think we're guaranteed to have a new FE character? Marth and Ike are good enough to represent the series. Plus, both characters had appeared in 2 games each by Brawl's release; Krom's first game hasn't even finished production.
Marth, Ike, and Roy were all at one point in Brawl. Sakurai likes Fire Emblem. They have a decent character pool right now, unlike some series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So? Roy's game wasn't even out in Japan when Melee came out.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Which, sadly, Waluigi has better chance since he's an AT, of which were characters that were considered to be playable, but popular enough to still be in the game.

Yes, apparently, Sakurai considered Waluigi more important than Impa. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.
I would state that Waluigi appeared in more games, but none of them are mainstream.

D

Deleted member

Characters wanted in Japan.

Also I do agree, this thread has been moving rather fast. lol
Let's see:

Mewtwo and Roy: Melee Veterans, wanted worldwide.

King K. Rool: Popular worldwide.

Shulk: Worldwide support now.

Miis: Worldwide popularity and support.

Slime: Worldwide again.

Professor Layton: Again, worldwide.

Dixie Kong: Again, worldwide. Has the fact she was cut from Brawl working for her, in a way.

Takamaru: Has support outside of Japan, actually. Quite a bit.

Claus: Not sure on his support outside of Japan, but I've heard it's large. Too bad I feel Mother has enough as it is.

Zoroark: Expected, but not really wanted. This is true worldwide.

Little Mac: Not too popular in Japan, but very popular in the States. I can easily see Mac in Smash.

Golden Sun character: Most likely going to be Matthew if any. Try and try as Americans clamour for Isaac and some Japanese do as well, Camelot, I assure you will decide who. They will pick Matthew, hands down. American support for a GS character MIGHT push one, I admit.

F-Zero and Metroid: While F-Zero is unlikely to get a new character, IMO, Metroid is likely to at least get Ridley, who is a heavily supported and debated character.

Last Story/Zangeki no Reginleiv characters: Not likely at all. This falls into the "only popular in Japan" category.

Starfy: Not seemed to be wanted all too much. Either that, or people want other characters MORE.

That's what I got out of this.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would state that Waluigi appeared in more games, but none of them are mainstream.
You act like that matters to Sakurai. Canon is ignored. All that matters is the character and how cool he thinks they are. Since Waluigi does more fighting than Toad or Impa, it makes you wonder if he thinks he's a better choice.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
  1. ♛Omega™ 9,501
  2. Oasis_S 3,261
  3. Starphoenix 3,075
  4. Super Smash Bros. Fan 2,980
  5. berserker01 2,974
  6. Shortiecanbrawl 2,960
  7. xIblisx 2,420
  8. --- 2,017
  9. asage94 1,894
  10. Metal Overlord 1,817
  11. nLiM8d 1,801
  12. HyperFalcon 1,446
  13. KumaOso 1,368
  14. PsychoIncarnate 1,293
  15. Mario_and_Sonic_Guy 1,227
  16. Johnknight1 1,058

.....Was it Omega's intention to just post as much BS as humanly possible in this thread?..

lol wut? Saying Japan is multicultural is like saying North and South Korea are BFFs.
Second that lolwut.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Read that story before. Found it weird to, as Japan probably is as multi cultural as the US or Europe.

lol wut? Saying Japan is multicultural is like saying North and South Korea are BFFs.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wasn't the point, though. The point is that Impa's popularity has yet to dwarf Sheik and probably never will due to Smash itself.
Wasn't my point either, and I've discussed this before, Sheik is popular because for the longest time ever, she was considered the best character in Melee. Even casuals would've noticed she was great, cause she's so easy to learn as well. And the OMG-ninja factor. It all has very little to do with Sheik herself, and brings more bad than good.

He took a few pages from Roy. But that's it. Nothing more. It would've been a moveset that fit Roy, but it doesn't matter, since he didn't replace him.
Problem is that its Roy's signature move. Replacing is of coarse one word, saying that Ike was favored over Roy as a playable character is another. I prefer the easier way of saying it.

The only character to be outright replaced was Pichu. His lack of data says a lot. He wasn't considered. And then two new Pokemon characters came in. Either of them could've replaced him. Nobody else got replaced.
I'm more concerned about the lack of a character than the lack of data of one.

The thing is, you WANT Sheik to be replaced outright. Sheik is supremely popular, quite a lot more than Pichu was, and wasn't even a Scrappy. Some people did hate on Ike and Lucario for being playable while Roy and Mewtwo weren't(thus, got chosen instead, since they had more priority). I do not like them, but they were both very legit choices that I will not deny.
Agreed on the Ike part, best choice they made imo besides adding Diddy. Lucario is understandable, therefore tolerable. Also a reason why Sheik being gone, Impa being in shouldn't mather much.

Impa has none of this. She's not a legit replacement whatsoever. If you want her to be different, which is the only way she can get in, I implore you to make a luigified(at minimum) moveset of her. Then people might believe she stands a ghost of a chance.
I will make a moveset then. Count on it tomorrow. Which means, tomorrow for me.

Also, Impa does more fighting than Waluigi does. Off screen she is Zelda's bodyguard remember? She likely did all the fighting for Zelda in SS, and called Link slow even at a point.

D

Deleted member

Whoa whoa whoa, back the train up. You are talking about two minor cameos compared to main to a main entry in a series. Those or two vastly different things. Your second point about the story and all that is really rather minor. Like I said before those are issues that Sakurai is not going to change a decision he makes for the roster.
No, I'm comparing an important NPC role (similar to say, Toad in Mario or Cranky Kong in Donkey Kong) and a guest character role with a GUEST MODE that is essentially a REMAKE of his ORIGINAL GAME to a main entry in the series that did poor compared to the previous titles. And not just in Japan.

Also, I doubt the choice for which GS character to use is in his power. Like how GameFreak pushed for Lucario and how Intelligent Systems reccomended Ike, I believe Camelot will push for Matthew.

D

Deleted member

Yuui: Uhm, are you forgetting one die-hard Starfy-fan here? He's had positive reception on polls and is wanted a lot, actually.

When compared to big names such as K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, and even Little Mac and Isaac, no, he really isn't. Starfy has little support in Japan despite his popularity, and his support in the States isn't going to be enough to convince Sakurai to include him.

It might work for Isaac or Matthew and Little Mac, but it won't work for Starfy. His support is much weaker than theirs.

D

Deleted member

@GoldenYuiitusin: Zoroark isn't wanted? That's sounds quite disturbing on my end.
People in Japan are bitter about Mewtwo being cut.
They are expecting Zoroark to take Lucario's spot, and they don't want that.

They don't seem to want any cuts at all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wasn't my point either, and I've discussed this before, Sheik is popular because for the longest time ever, she was considered the best character in Melee. Even casuals would've noticed she was great, cause she's so easy to learn as well. And the OMG-ninja factor. It all has very little to do with Sheik herself, and brings more bad than good.
So all that proves is that Sheik is more wanted than Impa. Thanks for conceding that point.

Problem is that its Roy's signature move. Replacing is of coarse one word, saying that Ike was favored over Roy as a playable character is another. I prefer the easier way of saying it.
He didn't replace him. There's character data for Roy. With enough time, both would be in. Only Pichu was replaced. End of story.

I'm more concerned about the lack of a character than the lack of data of one.
Too bad you're plain out wrong. If they had character data, they would've been playable with enough time. Your point is wrong by that alone.

Agreed on the Ike part, best choice they made imo besides adding Diddy. Lucario is understandable, therefore tolerable. Also a reason why Sheik being gone, Impa being in shouldn't mather much.
Replacing a super popular character with a clone? Yeah, that matters quite a lot. Very few would be happy with it. It's really a bad business decision, and would lower sales. People want Sheik, not Impa. Ghirahim is indeed more likely.

I will make a moveset then. Count on it tomorrow. Which means, tomorrow for me.

Excellent. That means Sheik and Impa can fight side by side. Which people would actually like.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
People in Japan are bitter about Mewtwo being cut.
They are expecting Zoroark to take Lucario's spot, and they don't want that.

They don't seem to want any cuts at all.
Most people generally don't want cuts in fighting games. Cuts are inevitable anyway.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Marth, Ike, and Roy were all at one point in Brawl. Sakurai likes Fire Emblem. They have a decent character pool right now, unlike some series.
Alright just asking. Again, I don't know very much about Fire Emblem. Although I was told by someone else earlier that Fire Emblem has a very limited character pool with Roy and Krom being the only viable choices?

D

Deleted member

@GoldenYuiitusin: Zoroark isn't wanted? That's sounds quite disturbing on my end.
- Feels like almost every third post is about Lucario being replaced with Zoroark
Not saying he doesn't have good odds (I will at least admit to that), but from this and what I've heard from ChronoBound, that's pretty much how the Japanese thinks of Zoroark; as a Lucario replacement (generally speaking). While less blatant oversea, many people support Zoroark partly or even entirely because they feel Lucario will get replaced and they pick the one with a similar body. Of course there are those who support Zoroark for other reasons, but I do think Zoroark can be justified as an "expected, but not wanted" character because of this.

CSnakeV

Smash Rookie
Im going to be like 17 or 18 years old until the release of the new SSB, but, we will be waiting for it!

PS: Damn, which will be the fourth release Brawl Characters?

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
  1. ♛Omega™ 9,501
  2. Oasis_S 3,261
  3. Starphoenix 3,075
  4. Super Smash Bros. Fan 2,980
  5. berserker01 2,974
  6. Shortiecanbrawl 2,960
  7. xIblisx 2,420
  8. --- 2,017
  9. asage94 1,894
  10. Metal Overlord 1,817
  11. nLiM8d 1,801
  12. HyperFalcon 1,446
  13. KumaOso 1,368
  14. PsychoIncarnate 1,293
  15. Mario_and_Sonic_Guy 1,227
  16. Johnknight1 1,058

.....Was it Omega's intention to just post as much BS as humanly possible in this thread?..
He did post a lot while he was here. At times I worried if he was getting enough sleep. :p

Im going to be like 17 or 18 years old until the release of the new SSB, but, we will be waiting for it!

PS: Damn, which will be the fourth release Brawl Characters?
What? You mean which Brawl characters return for Smash Bros. 4?

D

Deleted member

I don't want Zoroark to replace Lucario, but if Zoroark happens to be in it and both Mewtwo and Lucario are in as well, then I won't mind.

I'm not against Zoroark. I just don't want her to be in at the expense of Lucario and/or Mewtwo.

Heck, even though I support Genesect, I don't really care which 5th Gen Pokemon makes it, as long as it's logical and makes sense.

EDIT: Except a 2nd Trainer that isn't N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom