• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool is a crazy lunatic, and people love playable villians. There is also probably a bigger "wow-factor" that K.Rool has. But both he and Dixie would work. I think I also prefer K.Rool, but Dixie could easily make it before him. And I wouldn't be disapointed

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Exactly. Her role merits he to be playable, BUT, paired with Diddy. Neither her or Funkey are deserving of a whole separate slot. That should go to K.Rool.
That's not true. But I don't feel like arguing that, because it's not fun.

2010 poll:
Dixie Kong (solo) 85 (overall) 125
Funky Kong: 48 votes

2011 poll:
Dixie Kong (solo) 178 (overall) 260
Funky Kong 136

2012 poll:
Dixie Kong 38
Funky Kong 8

So, popularity wise, he probably doesn't even beat her. Merit wise, she definitely beats him.

Dixie Kong (solo):

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The reason why I wouldn't pick Dixie is because I fear a too close-clone moveset. I think King K. Rool, however, should get in for a DK Rep. But if anything, we'd all love to play as Rambi. JUST saying ;)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Gorilla pen, Actually what i was picturing too.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
The reason why I wouldn't pick Dixie is because I fear a too close-clone moveset. I think King K. Rool, however, should get in for a DK Rep. But if anything, we'd all love to play as Rambi. JUST saying ;)
K.Rool could easily end up as a Dedede clone.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If K. Rool gets in, they should make an Easter Egg. Whenever someone footstools off of him, he should make that grunt sound that the Kremlings make when you defeat them. :)

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Dixie can work, so can KRool. Get a job everybody.

Sure Dixie would follow Diddy much like nana follows popo , but notice how the partner has never been an active part in DKC games (Until DKCR Co-op, which is understandable). The partner is shadowed out, meaning that the character doesn't perform unless called upon. This unlike, the IC's who both attack in the same stroke, Nana even acts on her own sometimes.

Without changing anything from the Selection screen, Diddy would remain the leader unless switched through a Down B. In this version, he would sacrifice his neutral special, the peanut popper (which isn't a heavily utilized technique anyhow), for the piggyback move.

Much like Donkey Kong's F-Throw, the combo would be able to toss one another in any direction. However, for recovery purposes, the player's throwing ability would resemble Lucario's recovery where he can "swerve" the direction.

Much like the game, any higher platforms that the partner is thrown will pull the player upwards. As you might imagine, mobility might be more difficult in the piggyback position. Especially if the design of that move takes away the player's ability to use their recovery special.

This would be the only technique that would heavily resemble the IC's, but in Diddy/Dixie's defense, the technique originated from their games.
_ _ _

In the other manner, such that the player would rather have Diddy's peanut popper and banana's, a player simply would select Diddy (or Dixie) from the character selection menu. This is similar to Zelda/Shiek and the Pokemon Trainer, except without access to the partner (AKA standalone play).

A De-sync may also occur in the unfortunate event that the player 'accidentally' throws their partner off the edge. Certainly the loss of the partner would leave the player without two special moves, so to compensate, the game would return the standalone moveset to the player.

To regain the partner play, the player need only press and hold a move like 'B' after falling off screen, otherwise he/she would retain the standalone play. Imagine they include the DK barrel at the return, as such in KRool Boss battles. The player could ignore it and it will blink away, or they can bust out their partner by pressing 'B'.

The only tedious portion to this style is the event that a player simply wants to startout with Dixie heading the combo, this could be easily compensated if the player holds a combination of buttons at the start of the match (much in the way that Zero Suit Samus can be accessed from the get go).

There you have it! In the end, we get a new character, Diddy get's a few moveset tweaks (which is not unheard of), and the Combo has its own authentic flare. My favorite thing about all of this is that the DKC memoirs will get their proper representation. Both DK and DKC can be spotted as an important sector of Nintedo's history.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still gotta do a Rambi moveset. Doing that tomorrow actually.

And Dixie wouldn't be a clone. If so, moreso of a lighter DK than Diddy I think. If anything, only her aerials could resemble Diddy's a bit. But overall, I don't see her being a clone.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Can you people calm down with all the posting? Lol, every time I leave this tab, there's like three new posts, as if some big news just came out for Smash or somethin' :laugh:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Regaurdless of clone status, she's still a good choice. Honestly, if any series should get two newcomers, it should be the DK series.

Pokemon, and DK could easily gain two more characters without it being crazy.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I didn't know he had a giant hammer... Does he?

B - Can't come up with anything similar at the moment.

Side B- Tosses a klaptrap forward. It walks until it meets an opponent then bites ahold of them doing light damage over time.

Up B - Leaps into the air then comes crashing down.

Down B - Holds back his blunderbuss and begins loading it. When the button is released he fires a blast of gunpowder forward. Damage and size is based on charge time. If you charge too long it will blow up in his face.

See, its quite possible.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually agree. Not saying that a Mario, Kirby or StarFox newcomer also wouldn't be nice but DK and Pokemon really could pull it of.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Can you people calm down with all the posting? Lol, every time I leave this tab, there's like three new posts, as if some big news just came out for Smash or somethin' :laugh:
That's not our M.O.

Also, I could see Dixie as getting a clone set(to an extent), but I can't see her getting a weapon or the same Up B. Maybe some similar moves, but that's it.

King K. Rool, yeah, he has a ton of unique stuff. And hell, I haven't even fought against him, and knowing that says something.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
B - Can't come up with anything similar at the moment.

Side B- Tosses a klaptrap forward. It walks until it meets an opponent then bites ahold of them doing light damage over time.

Up B - Leaps into the air then comes crashing down.

Down B - Holds back his blunderbuss and begins loading it. When the button is released he fires a blast of gunpowder forward. Damage and size is based on charge time. If you charge too long it will blow up in his face.

See, its quite possible.
*possible* doesn't mean *comfirmed*. Remember, possiblilties are hard to go by when communicating about movesets. For example, I can't just say that Dixie WILL be a clone, but I CAN say that she might be a clone. I think DDD's moveset was horrible, though. They could of fixed it up more.

I think these guys need better movesets:

Mario
DDD
Lucario
Mewtwo
Wolf

Wolf's FS really P!ssed me off...

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
*possible* doesn't mean *comfirmed*. Remember, possiblilties are hard to go by when communicating about movesets. For example, I can't just say that Dixie WILL be a clone, but I CAN say that she might be a clone. I think DDD's moveset was horrible, though. They could of fixed it up more.
Thats some oddly worded logic. Of course possible doesn't mean confirmed. The terms are nearly the opposite. Any character CAN be a clone, and any character can have a madeup moveset making them unique. Im just saying, you guys think Dixie could end up a clone, when the same could happen to K.Rool if Sakurai takes the lazy route.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
*possible* doesn't mean *comfirmed*. Remember, possiblilties are hard to go by when communicating about movesets.
The reason why I wouldn't pick Dixie is because I fear a too close-clone moveset. I think King K. Rool, however, should get in for a DK Rep.
*shrugs* What are ya gonna do?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Regaurdless of clone status, she's still a good choice. Honestly, if any series should get two newcomers, it should be the DK series.
Yep.

I only think Kid Icarus should get two newcomers if Uprising is a resounding success (my parameter is if sells over 500K in Japan).

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Perhaps with 33 people engaging this thread in some form, there's a reason why the conversation is as fast paced as it is.

Also, I don't see why Dixie can't share some things with Diddy. They are similar overall.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Thats some oddly worded logic. Of course possible doesn't mean confirmed. The terms are nearly the opposite. Any character CAN be a clone, and any character can have a madeup moveset making them unique. Im just saying, you guys think Dixie could end up a clone, when the same could happen to K.Rool if Sakurai takes the lazy route.
Yeah, I said it wrong, sorry ^^ I also didn't read ur thing right. 2x sorry ^^'

Past bedtime... I'm out... Zzz...

EDIT: Forgot about news. Take a look:
The Pokémon Company's New Year Card

Japanese magazine Famitsu has posted a greetings card sent out by The Pokémon Company. This greetings card doesn't reveal much news but does state that they intend to release "even more amazing games" in 2012 than in 2011. This follows on from 2011 where the games: Pokémon Typing DS, Pokédex 3D, Pokémon Rumble Blast and PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond had their Japanese release. As we know, Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition is due for release in the Spring in Japan, so there are bound ot be more surprises. We're expecting more news on Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition next week so be sure to keep checking

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I should clarify that although Funky's more popular than Dixie, she's still much more likely to be playable because she's 1 of the 3 heroes of the DKC series, and she has more to work with than Funky, who would be complete guesswork.

Also she should be separate since she's proven that she's not some sidekick companion kong, unlike Kiddy. I want Mario and Luigi to be paired M&L style if any kong gets paired.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
3 posts? Every time I leave this thread for a couple of hours, I see as many as 20 pages added. That's cyclic to the extreme.

Perhaps with 33 people engaging this thread in some form, there's a reason why the conversation is as fast paced as it is.

Also, I don't see why Dixie can't share some things with Diddy. They are similar overall.
K' and Kula Diamond lol.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Honestly, Shortie can you see what conversations come about from popularity bouts?

It gets weird fast.

KumaOso said:
K' and Kula Diamond lol.
Yeah I can see it, but I also see dat ***

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yep.

I only think Kid Icarus should get two newcomers if Uprising is a resounding success (my parameter is if sells over 500K in Japan).
Kid Icarus MIGHT be able to pull off two characters.... but it all depends on how well recieved the game is, and if Sakurai is down for adding PalMed or not. I mean, we know how he felt about the Kirby characters Pre-Brawl, so... you never know. Basically, they could get two, or none at all.

Either way, I think Plautena or Medusa would be cool characters. Palutena could be a light based defensivey character, and Medusa could be a Naga snake like ruthless fighter. IUNNO, when we see what they can do in their games, I guess we can judge how they would play.

@Fossil Fighters My brother wasn't into the game, but I would love to have some DINO CONTENT in SSB4. Such a cool concept. Every boy's childhood dream game DINO FIGHTING!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
So... new topic. I've noticed that this franchise doesn't come up very much, so what kind of content do you all think Fossil Fighters should get? All I've seen is a stage concept.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Yep.

I don't think any existing franchises need 2 newcomers, but as for new series, Punch Out deserves 2. It should have been represented in the original ssb in some form. With its revival it should get what it's due.

D

Deleted member

nLiM8d said:
Ah ah ah, Retro wasn't the only subsidiary to develop a DK side scroller.
True, but if a DKCR2 is made, due to how critically acclaimed and popular DKCR was, Retro will be top priority for who makes it.
nLIM8d said:
Kinda helps my case dontcha think?
No because at the time of pre-Melee, Rare was with Nintendo, so it was understandable as to why Diddy Kong was not in Smash.

Come pre-Brawl, Rare is gone to Microsoft and only Star Fox and Donkey Kong remained with Nintendo in it's entirety. Along with it, Diddy Kong was 100% Nintendo property, meaning they could use him without the consent of Rare. With Rare having no say on the matter (or Microsoft), Sakurai had the free will to add Diddy Kong in Brawl. He was interested in him, saw him as worthy, and added him in.
nLiM8d said:
What? What does that have to do with not including items? There are items from earthbound and starfox, those games aren't at the top.
64 and Melee had content from Star Fox 64, the most critically acclaimed Star Fox game to this date. EarthBound also received a fair amount of content in Melee with Mother 3 in development at the time (had the game been released, we would have seen Lucas over Ness, basically adding a new character to represent the Mother franchise).
nLiM8d said:
I think you underestimate the extent that I'm basing those comparison. These are ports that are drastically different than their console counterparts.

Say what you will about button configurations no less.
I can also counter that with the Virtual Console ports for DKC, DKC2, and DKC3 being 99% if not 100% faithful to the original. Rare and Nintendo had been separated even longer and there were no major signs of changes made to the ports.

@Metal Overlord: Yeah, I'd say it's pretty awesome. The first movie kicked butt as a child.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Kid Icarus MIGHT be able to pull off two characters.... but it all depends on how well recieved the game is, and if Sakurai is down for adding PalMed or not. I mean, we know how he felt about the Kirby characters Pre-Brawl, so... you never know. Basically, they could get two, or none at all.

Either way, I think Plautena or Medusa would be cool characters. Palutena could be a light based defensivey character, and Medusa could be a Naga snake like ruthless fighter. IUNNO, when we see what they can do in their games, I guess we can judge how they would play.
Is it wrong I've been using this when visualizing Medusa?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't think any existing franchises need 2 newcomers, but as for new series, Punch Out deserves 2. It should have been represented in the original ssb in some form. With its revival it should get what it's due.
I am starting to think Aether is the guy who made the slyphys Smash 4 roster.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Fossil Fighters definitely deserves at least some attention through trophies, stickers, and music. Maybe ATs but I don't know enough about the series to get into that.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
It definitely deserves SOMETHING. The first game sold enough to make a sequel. So it's growing.
Unrelated: I randomly started thinking of a Fossil Fighter moveset.

D

Deleted member

While no franchise needs two more additions, I think Pokemon should definitely pull it off. I mean, I think we have a reasonable chance of keeping our Pokemon Brawl vets and it wouldn't be crazy to put in Mewtwo and Victini/Zoroark to the roster. Kid Icarus could easily pull off two newcomers, providing it's success is very large and it has a large impact. I'd also like to see Mario get Toad and Paper Mario, but that is much less likely. DK can also get two new reps in Smash since it is a big franchise, even if I only truly want K. Rool.

@asage94: Mario should get his Galaxy spin as a Down B, Lucario should try to play less gracefully and focus more on movement, Mewtwo needs a buff, and Wolf should be given unique specials and Final Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom