• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Nintendo had it their way, Diddy would've been DK Jr.
No that is if Rare had their way actually. They first designed Diddy to be DK Jr's new design, but Nintendo ordered them to make him a new character. DK then himself became DK Jr., Cranky being DK from the arcade who fought Mario.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Considering DK Jr. is now the current Donkey Kong, I like the outcome in general...

As for Diddy, he's great in his own right. And that sounds about right why he wasn't in Melee. I mean, they even went so far to change the music so it said "Heck" instead of "Hell", which is ironic, since DK64 is rated E, while Melee was rated T.

If anything, I think Nintendo tries to appeal more towards children, but eh.
What's even more odd is that the old DKC show had "Hell" in it as well. But it was referring to the firey pit, so I guess it wasn't too "bad" for kids.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
WHO KNOWS. Something I picked up in the pre-Brawl days.
GENO WUZ IN BRAWL BUHT SQUARE SAYS NO SO YOU CAN ONLY UNLOCK HEM BYE PLAYING RANDOM 1000 TIMEZ.

Uhm, you never know with that ****.

I would like to point out that no one (Even Sakurai) cares that DK is DK Jr. Dk Jr has his own trophy in Melee.

D

Deleted member

No that is if Rare had their way actually. They first designed Diddy to be DK Jr's new design, but Nintendo ordered them to make him a new character. DK then himself became DK Jr., Cranky being DK from the arcade who fought Mario.

Ah, that's right. Thanks for correcting me.

I was under the impression that Nintendo wanted him to be DK Jr., but felt the design was too different to be Jr.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What's even more odd is that the old DKC show had "Hell" in it as well. But it was referring to the firey pit, so I guess it wasn't too "bad" for kids.
To be fair, the way it was used in DK64 was not "correct", so I can agree on censoring that use. Saying going to Hell, or that they went to Hell is actually acceptable in Media. But saying something like "Hell yeah" and "He's one hell of a guy!" is not nearly as acceptable. It's all about usage. Noun VS Verb, I believe.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ah, that's right. Thanks for correcting me.

I was under the impression that Nintendo wanted him to be DK Jr., but felt the design was too different to be Jr.
Heard Miyamota is especially protective of his creations. Maybe thats why he forced DK Jr. to be there both in Super Mario Kart and Mario Tennis.

It took them long to accept DKC set the standard for the series from to moment it was there. Guess they underestimated Rare's ability to beat their biggest series, Mario.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I never heard anything about Diddy and Miyamoto. However, I did hear something about Miyamoto and the Kremlings being kept out of Donkey Kong Country Returns. Keep in mind that Donkey Kong is one of Miyamoto's babies, so he is protective of it (especially the console platformers). It could be that Miyamoto might wish for Donkey Kong to move away from the Rare days.

Edit:
On a side note, I do know Miyamoto did not have a high opinion of Donkey Kong Country, part of the reason for this is that Yoshi's Island initially got turned down by Yamauchi for not looking like Donkey Kong Country. Interestingly enough, they went with ACM graphics for Yoshi's Story.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes they really tried to do that. Just look at Jungle Beat. Created by Nintendo EAD, same company who did Mario Galaxy.

Jungle Beat had NOTHING from DKC in it, but heavily copied it's style (small generic helper monkies, collecting bananas, level archetypes similar to DKC but no familiar locations, animal helpers who aren't the classic ones but EXACTLY fill in their role).
Mario Galaxy did its very best to bring back as many elements and long forgotten enemies as it could.

And why are Kremlings gone from Returns? Can you post me a link from that?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Chronooobouuund. Would you say Roy would be one of the most unique lords to add to Smash, given his FIRE SWORD ABILITIES? That's not something any other lord can do, right?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So what exactly are we talking about? The history of the DK series?

D

Deleted member

Apparently, in the Mario World, monkeys have significantly lower lifespans than humans.

Although, I think Mario could've been in his early 20's in Donkey Kong, and is now somewhere in his 30's or 40's...

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
Which planet do you live on? Pichu and Doc definitely have a fanbase. There are a lot of people who want both back, especially Pichu. I don't know why you think this way. Regaurdless of how piss poor Pichu was, it's still a popular Pokemon, and way fun to play as. I prefer Pichu over Pika in Melee. (Also I main Doc)

Anyways, there has never been a hated Smash character, they all have fanbases, even Pichu.
I never said they didn't have a fan base. I am, however, saying that the people who disliked their inclusion for Melee outweigh that of those who like it. That's why I said Pichu was hated, because more people disliked him then liked him in Melee.
nLiM8d said:
-Why there is a significant amount of relatively recognizable DK content omitted from all of Donkey Kong's Latest side scrollers
That was Retro's doing. Aside from what was ordered by Nintendo to put in DKCR, Retro choose to for the most part not use anything from the past DK titles. With the back lash surrounding the lack of past DK characters (especially K. Rool's absence), it gives Retro a reason to put back some relatively recognizable figures.
nLiM8d said:
-What reasons kept Diddy Kong from Smash until Brawl
Probably because in Melee, Rare was with Nintendo at the time and they were starting to pack their bags for Microsoft.
nLiM8d said:
-Absence of any DK assist trophies or items (not even from Donkey Kong, Jungle Beat & Climber, Konga, Mario & DK)
Because the franchise was in decline. Now the franchise is climbing back to the top with DKCR.
nLiM8d said:
-Why the DKC GBA ports were so heavily altered, more distinctly than say the A link to the past port, Mario Advance saga, Metroid Zero Mission.
For one thing, GBA had only four buttons total and that the sounds used on the GBA was a completely different beast. Ports are heavily altered all the time as well.
nLiM8d said:
-Just for fun, discuss why DK's racer bombed so immensely
It was poorly received.

@ChronoBound: I never heard that Miyamoto tried to keep Kremlings out of DKCR, only that he told Retro only to put in Cranky Kong and allowed them to do what they wanted for the most part.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Although I am aware of that piece of info, I never put the two dots together to note that Mario must be bleepin old.

DK and Diddy bumblin about in the SSE, which DK was it?

Who the **** is this?!

http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/yoshis_island_ds_conceptart_cNbZf.jpg
That will be forever unanswered, and proofs another point to me that Miyamoto really, really hates DKC. To do it like that in a Yoshi game is even better proof. It was the original anti-DKC, and now it tries to **** up all of it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Chronooobouuund. Would you say Roy would be one of the most unique lords to add to Smash, given his FIRE SWORD ABILITIES? That's not something any other lord can do, right?
Yeah. I don't think there is another sword-wielding lord that would be more interesting than Roy.

However, Leaf technically wields swords too, though in FE4 once he promotes into the Master Knight class, can use every weapon type there is (and ideally if by some strange miracle he got in, his moveset would be based off the Master Knight class, and not his FE5 incarnation where he only used a sword).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Interesting stuff here. I thought Miyamoto had negative thoughts about DKC (the 1st) because its success made his superiors pressure him into using 3D graphics. IDK what to think atm about all of this, but for those who care, there's an interview on ign in the DKCR section. Its called "Miyamoto likes DKC after all", or something like that. I don't want to post a link over the phone.

yani_

Smash Ace
And why are Kremlings gone from Returns? Can you post me a link from that?

Don't have a link but from what I've heard, it was because Retro wanted to take the series in their own direction instead of using everything Rare has done. They also don't like that there are so many kongs.

D

Deleted member

It's also interesting to point out that Funky Kong is the most missed Kong in DKCR. More than Dixie...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Funky Kong has a huge notable personality, you know, well, his name speaks for itself. Dixie was... the female player. I think it's due to personality, not so much being a "main" person. Plus, a Surfer is rather cool.

@Chrono: It could be among Rare and Nintendo that they like Funky more than Dixie, not that Dixie isn't very popular among fans.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That was Retro's doing.
Ah ah ah, Retro wasn't the only subsidiary to develop a DK side scroller.

Rare was with Nintendo at the time and they were starting to pack their bags for Microsoft.
Kinda helps my case dontcha think?

Because the franchise was in decline. Now the franchise is climbing back to the top with DKCR.
What? What does that have to do with not including items? There are items from earthbound and starfox, those games aren't at the top.

For one thing, GBA had only four buttons total and that the sounds used on the GBA was a completely different beast. Ports are heavily altered all the time as well.
I think you underestimate the extent that I'm basing those comparison. These are ports that are drastically different than their console counterparts. Not the same can be said (on the same level) for the other ports that I mentioned, but its fine if you don't see it the same way.

Say what you will about button configurations no less.

Diddy Kong said:
That will be forever unanswered, and proofs another point to me that Miyamoto really, really hates DKC. To do it like that in a Yoshi game is even better proof. It was the original anti-DKC, and now it tries to **** up all of it.
Its an interesting theory, not sure if I recognize it, but neat nonetheless.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
@Chrono
I'm pretty sure the Funky love comes from Mario Kart Wii (for obvious reasons). Funky was never even playable in the original Donkey Kong Country games or even DK64 (though I assume you all know this already).

Dixie is definitely more significant as a Kong.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I'm pretty sure the Funky love comes from Mario Kart Wii (for obvious reasons). Funky was never even playable in the original Donkey Kong Country games or even DK64 (though I assume you all know this already).

Dixie is definitely more significant as a Kong.
But we all know significance does not equal popularity. I mean, look at Geno.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Donkey Kong has to fight with the Mario series. Them both being platformers, and constantly having DK characters in Mario games will do that to you. Losing Rare also did hurt people's opinions of it. They were extremely popular versions.

None of the other series has that problem, as they're all unique in some kind of way. Mother's a very different rpg from Pokemon, in fact, there share nothing in common besides their genre.

Metroid at best has StarFox to contend with, but they both have items, and they're both popular.

I think that's all the fighting series right now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Funky was also the 4th character after Dixie in DK King of Swing and Jungle Climber's multiplayer.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What is this? Poop on Dixie day?

Dixie's role merits her to be playable, Funky's.... not so much.

Kind of where this should end. Popularity only means SO MUCH. And I don't think Funky is even that popular.

*checks polls*

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
What is this? Poop on Dixie day?

Dixie's role merits her to be playable, Funky's.... not so much.

Kind of where this should end. Popularity only means SO MUCH.
Exactly. Her role merits her to be playable, BUT, paired with Diddy. Neither her or Funkey are deserving of a whole separate slot. That should go to K.Rool.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Funky shouldn't be consdered before Dixie, that's true. Dixie would be a very unique fighter, definitely something that isn't in Smash yet.

As a standalone character yes. Think I'm gonna support her more from this point, a there are people saying Toad is better than her still... Dixie is just as good as a choice as K.Rool, both have an easy time being complete unique characters.

D

Deleted member

Alright, I think it can be agreed that K. Rool comes before anyone, correct?

Let's move on from the gorilla pen, shall we?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Don't have to agree to that, actually, I would say that I don't approve of this nonsensical ranking that seems to be the end game of thread circles.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Thanks. Hopefully, someone will be able to find the source to where Sakurai supposedly said Toad can't fight.
Well I may add that link to the BR.

I also have not found the Toad quote yet, but based on what Johnknight, the guy who found it, it was more about a moveset than anything.

Sakurai also mentioned he couldn't imagine Toad in smash as a playable character (wondering what attacks he would use), and said some other commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom