• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai looks for what a character can add to a game. He pads at the end of development with clones/ semi-clones.

I do not see what "hook" Toad can offer. Not saying it is impossible.

And I do not see him as a semi-clone/clone.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Looking at the trailers (and nerd glasses) chances are that will happen, throw in everything that she has above Medusa, she'll have really good shot overall. Fanservice sells, and I'm not complaining one bit. :p
Indeed. Sexual attractiveness is a very large determinant in how big followings for female prospects for Smash Bros. become.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Indeed. Sexual attractiveness is a very large determinant in how big followings for female prospects for Smash Bros. become.
Which reminds me... Pegasus Sisters for AT. :laugh:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ib4zewosuitsamus.

I though want to play as Palutena really, I've been longing to main Zelda-like character which also has a lot of personality. (-lvl-)

:phone:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
You've got to consider there is a world outside of the popularity decisions made a midst this forum, even with that said, simply because you went and checked some random thread or japanese poll discussing how ideal KRool would be, doesn't solidify the viability of that character.

Though it would be interesting to discuss why Dixie is neat, I don't see the point in comparing the "popularity" of the two. What my statement means is, regardless of distinctions made by some form of research, there is no distinct methodology that solidifies positions. We have no way of telling all the variable details, besides in all frankness, popularity is a weak argument to base your bias on.

I though want to play as Palutena really, I've been longing to main Zelda-like character which also has a lot of personality.
So Desu Desu Zelda isn't enough?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
For fun, since we're on the subject I might as well repost my Palutena moveset.

Palutena

Attributes:Palutena is a lightweight character with a weight similar to Z.S. Samus (32nd, 81). Her size is quite large and is around Ganondorf's size. Being in a dress as well her walking speed is close to Zelda's (36th). While, surprisingly her dash speed is close to Lucario's (22nd). Falling Speed is the same as Samus's (37th). And her air speed is the same as Marth (11th).

Playstyle: Palutena can be played in many different ways. Her great projectiles can allow her to have great spacing potential especially when combined with her amazing but limited D-Special for defense; which can also be used for her offensive and approach. Her throws and aerial game are better than most characters, and she has one of the best recoveries in the game. She, however, is quite floaty and is a lightweight character meaning she is quite easy to kill. She also has slightly less kill moves than most characters as well. There is no real distinct way to play as her.
Entrance - Floats down in a beam of light.

Neutral Special - Light Ball - stops, waves her staff and it launches the ball end at the opponent. When it connects it causes the opponent to fall into a dazed state. It is chargeable and the charge can be held. The longer it's charged the longer the daze state, but the hit box and size are fixed. It does not cause a daze state when the opponent is in the air, but it does cause the opponent to flinch like any other projectile. Does 5%, 13% when fully charged.

Side Special - Centurion - Similar to Pit's FS, it summons just one Centurion that homes in on an opponent. It can be attacked. Only 1 can be summoned at the same time, and the move can only be used again once the first Centurion leaves the screen. Is a good follow up to Light ball. Is one of her few killing moves. Does 15% per hit.

Up Special - Miracle of Flight - Gain the ability to fly similar to MvC’s flying moves. It therefore does not have any startup lag and you can attack during it. It lasts for 3.5 seconds, but like R.O.B.’s Up-Special you have a re-charge time of 2.5 seconds. If it expires mid-air it leaves you in a helpless state. Being attacked during the duration of the move does not leave you in a helpless state. It can also be shielded out of.

Down Special - Crystal Rod - Based the Crystal Rod item from the first 2 KI games. Palutena waves her staff and creates 2 clone orbs. Two orbs rotate around her in a 360 motion doing damage with no knockback. Every 2 hits by the orbs causes the opponent to flinch. It can stay out as long as her damage % does not exceed 50%. It is a mix of Vergil’s swords and Stirder’s Ouroboros Hypers from MvC. Does not do extra damage when throwing, nor does it do damage to an opponent's shield. Does 4% per hit.

Final Smash - Burst of Light
- She slams her staff onto the ground, the screen flashes and it puts opponents into a stunned state if they're on the ground while putting air born opponents in a helpless state. Does 30% to all opponents.

AAA - She raises her palm out and releases a burst of light. Think Mewtwo's AAA. It has a slightly disjointed hit box. Does 5% on the first hit, 2% on each hit thereafter.
Forward Tilt - swings her arm and her shield strikes the opponent. It has good knockback. It has the best knockback of her tilts. Does 10%.
Up Tilt - Raises her arm in the air and bonks the opponent with her shield. Good for Juggling. Does 9%
Down Tilt - Kneels down and strikes the opponent with her foot. Think Zelda's D-Tilt but with slightly longer range (she’s taller than her).Does 7-8%.
Dash Attack - does a slide similar to Mario's dash, it has a very laggy end and it slides her forward. Does 8%.

Neutral Air - Spins her staff for a full body attack, similar to Ike's N-Air. It has average knockback. Does 9%.
Forward Air - leans forward and swings her arm to hit the opponent with her shield. One of her few kill moves. Does 11%.
Up Air - looks up and flips herself upside-down to hit the opponent vertically with her shield. Good for Juggling. Does 9%.
Down Air - a standard dive kick. Does 9%.
Back Air - Swings her arm back and hits the opponent with her shield. Average knockback. Does 12%

Forward Smash - Palutena's version of Cap's "Charging Star." It has Super Armor like Wario's Forward Smash and it also goes farther as well. It has poor knockback for a Smash attack. Very little start up lag. Does 17-19%.
Up Smash - Raises her staff up and the ball explodes in a burst of light. Has a slightly disjointed hit box. Is one of her few kill moves. Does 16-20%
Down Smash - Raises her staff and slams it on the ground, creating a small shockwave that hit in front and behind. Causes large horizontal knockback making it one of her few kill moves. Does 15%-18%.

Pummel - Hits the opponent with her knee. Does 3%.
Forward Throw - Throws the opponent up at a 45 degree angle, waves her staff and causes a small explosion of light to send the opponent flying further. Has the best knockback of her throws. Does 5% for the throw, 7% for the explosion.
Up Throw - Throws the opponent up at a 90 degree angle, waves her staff and causes a small explosion of light to send the opponent flying further. Above average knockback. Does 5% for the throw, 7% for the explosion.
Down Throw - Does a short hop, leans down and blasts the opponent with the ball end of her staff into the ground. It launches the opponent vertically. Does 10%.
Back Throw - Throws the opponent up at a 135 degree angle, waves her staff and causes a small explosion of light to send the opponent flying further. Above average knockback. Does 5% for the throw, 7% for the explosion.

Other:
Shield - Like Link, in idle animation she can block projectiles with her shield.

Taunts:
1. Winks to the players off screen.
2. Spins her staff playfully.
3. She glows and emits light.

Costumes:
Blue - Original Design
White - OM&M Design
Gray - GB Design
Black - Fallen Angel
Gold
Green
Red

Kirby Hat:
Gains her hair and head piece

Pros:
Easy to rack up damage with
Good mix-ups
Amazing Projectiles
Great Recovery
Good Throws
Good Aerials

Cons:
Lightweight
Floaty
Few kill moves
Poor ground game
Large Hitbox

I have too much time on my hands. :p

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Zelda = Serious? (TP?)

Palutena = Witty, but responsible, gentle and kind. Man, wish I could meet a person like that.

---: Quite good there! But I wish she won't become low-tier. She has to at least compete with Zelda somehow.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Honestly, the only female characters I'd really want are Misty, Dixie and maybe Michelle from Tekken or Jill from Resident Evil.

Now villains on the other hand? Don't even get me started on those :cool:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I only female character that I like right now is Dixie Kong. I might be convinced on Palutena and Medusa depending on Uprising.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm coming to expect Palutena as a highly probable character more and more. I'm curious what people are expecting from her, moveset-wise. Does she summon Centurions? Shoot light magic from her bare hands?

And, as I'm typing, the moveset pops up above me. How convenient.

It's difficult to determine popularity outside message boards, I agree. It's just difficult to fathom Dixie would be deemed a better choice than K. Rool at this point, what with how much more he would likely contribute compared to her. Dixie could contribute, mind you, but to a lesser extent than K. Rool, who is physically impossible to give a cloned moveset.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Females?

Leaf(Pokemon), Medusa, Krystal, Dixie Kong, that's all I can think of that could go in. Maybe May.

D

Deleted member

To those that say Toad will just be Peach's meat shield again, do you realize that Toad can just be replaced with Toadsworth as the shield while Toad himself becomes playable?

Or, here's a thought, why not Peach get a new move? It's not that difficult, I mean, Mario got F.L.U.D.D. in Brawl.

As for a female rep, I support Brigadier Betty. She would also rep the Wars series, which needs a rep as well.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Palutena = Witty, but responsible, gentle and kind. Man, wish I could meet a person like that.

---: Quite good there! But I wish she won't become low-tier. She has to at least compete with Zelda somehow.
Nerd glasses. Need I say anymore? lol

Thank you, although people have said that my moveset was overpowered at first so I did nerf it a bit. lol

I'm coming to expect Palutena as a highly probable character more and more. I'm curious what people are expecting from her, moveset-wise. Does she summon Centurions? Shoot light magic from her bare hands?
Well for starters you can look at my moveset. lol

But besides what you already said, she has a staff and shield, and access to all of Pit's weapons that he hasn't used yet from his original games and the new ones from Uprising.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Medusa vs. the heroines of Nintendo: who's the fairest of all? Yeah, I'd love to see Medusa plotting to overthrow Palutena and take over Angel Land... and Palutena recruits Peach, Zelda, and Samus to help her defeat Medusa.

D

Deleted member

I'm probably one of the few that would rather have Medusa instead of Palutena...(and by that, I mean, just Medusa. Not both.)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Arcadenic: Not necessarily Samus, but Peach and Zelda, yes. Skyward Zelda and Palutena together sounds quite fun and even adorable, actually.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oops, forgot about Lip. She's one of my personal favorites.

...Why even replace Peach's B move? She often has more than one Toad by her side, anyway. I'm still for a more defined Toad as playable, but eh.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I could see value in both Palutena and Medusa as individual characters, although the series should not receive three characters. That is pushing a single (albeit popular) game's success too far in terms of Smash content.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Lip would be interesting, however, I think she is unlikely for Smash 4.
At the very least, I hope Lip is an Assist Trophy where she clears panels from the background by performing chains and then garbage blocks drop at the stage.

yani_

Smash Ace
But what character specifically could that be? I've heard people say Krystal, but we all know that's simply not true. Sakurai didn't know who she was till after the roster was already solid. Plus, she got a trophy. Geno is the only one I can think of who would be considered a Nintendo character, but might have IP issues.
Maybe Ash was meant to be the Pokemon Trainer? That would probably have issues

I'm probably one of the few that would rather have Medusa instead of Palutena...(and by that, I mean, just Medusa. Not both.)
I'm one of them too.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Three games now, so don't think Kid Icarus is just a single game now Kupa. (-l,l-)

I'd personally see all three in, since we'd have a protagonist, an important supporter and a villain.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yes, the series is three games, but Palutena and Medusa would clearly get in because of Uprising's popularity. And even then, three characters for three games seems excessive.

D

Deleted member

@yani: Nintendo and GameFreak own the rights to any character from the Pokemon anime. If Sakurai wanted Ash, he would've put Ash.

Though Ash has little to no game relevance (only Pokemon Puzzle League, which wasn't released in Japan), so his game counterpart, Red, was the better choice.
Heck, Jessie and James of Team Rocket have more relevance with Pokemon Yellow.

@BKupa: Not to mention one of those games not being released in Japan from what I've heard.

D

Deleted member

Back early in June/July, we focused a lot on relevancy and many of us treated it as the main criterion for Smash 4. Many of us also though that K. Rool and Mewtwo were unlikely to show up in SSB4. Nowadays, we tend to value popularity and importance to series more then relevance (although we tend to overemphasize popularity too much at times). Not to mention that King K. Rool and Mewtwo are considered to be likely to be added/return.

A lot has changed ever since we came together back in June and it's hard to imagine that we'll be bombarded with people that expect 50-60 slots once Smash 4 comes around (even though we went from expecting 40-45 slots to 45-50 slots for the most part). Personally, I'm excited to see how the Smash 4 speculation scene comes in full form. There are many things I want to do with it now before E3 2012.

D

Deleted member

As of this point on, I no longer support Victini, and now support Genesect.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
BKupa said:
It's just difficult to fathom Dixie would be deemed a better choice than K. Rool at this point, what with how much more he would likely contribute compared to her.
I'm more concerned about why the two need to be compared in the first place. If we need to go that route, they equally have the chance of being barred by Rare, all depending on how nitty gritty the copyrights go.

I've made the argument that having your own game may not always be enough, but wow yet another unnecessarily *******ized child.

D

Deleted member

nLiM8d said:
I'm more concerned about why the two need to be compared in the first place. If we need to go that route, they equally have the chance of being barred by Rare, all depending on how nitty gritty the copyrights go.
There are no copyright issues that would have to go through to get K. Rool or Dixie in Smash. They appeared on Nintendo platforms after Rare shipped. If Sakurai wants a DK newcomer, he'll get one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wouldn't it be cool if Sakurai had used his cat as a basis for a Nintendocat Assist Trophy? :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom