• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Genesect? Eww I'd never support that thing Victini and Zoroark are the only 5th generation Pokemon I'll except(no offense to anyone that supports it.)

Wouldn't it be cool if Sakurai had used his cat as a basis for a Nintendocat Assist Trophy? :awesome:

:phone:
I actually brought that up over the summer I could see him doing that actually I mean he did put his cat in SSBB it was in the background though.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
There are no copyright issues that would have to go through to get K. Rool or Dixie in Smash. They appeared on Nintendo platforms after Rare shipped. If Sakurai wants a DK newcomer, he'll get one.
That's farfetched and doesn't have significant supporting evidence by me; if it is true why did they feel compelled to switch up his design? All of their designs?

No, I think there are still limitations in place over how much DKC content Nintendo is able to use.

Just look at the recent track record of titles.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smash needs more cats and dogs. Meowth and Duck Hunt Dog for playable characters. Sakurai's cat for Assist Trophy along with Nintendog. Dancing cats and dogs in background of new WarioWare stage. Wandering Heroes from Mii Plaza are cats, dogs, and rabbits and they should appear as Assist Trophies.

D

Deleted member

That's farfetched and doesn't have significant supporting evidence by me; if it is true why did they feel compelled to switch up his design? All of their designs?

No, I think there are still limitations in place over how much DKC content Nintendo is able to use.

Just look at the recent track record of titles.
Probably because they wanted a new design for K. Rool and Dixie. If they wanted to keep the same Rare design, they would have done so and if they were to use it again, I don't think they would run into any trouble for it since K. Rool and Dixie Kong belong to them, not Microsoft.

I also think there's a good chance they'll show back up eventually, especially if a DKCR2 is made.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
"Chance" isn't enough to convince me, I need factual supporting evidence of what that signifies.

If its any series I have a sore spot over, it's DKC. Talk some sense to me son.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hope Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 includes Dixie Kong, Kiddy Kong, and King K. Rool. Dixie and Kiddy could be counterparts to Donkey and Diddy in multiplayer modes.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Does Nintendo remember DKC3 exists? Aside from being on Virtual Console, the only reference it got in Brawl was as a footnote on Squitter's trophy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nintendo owns King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and their designs. They don't have to change anything. There is no issues here. If Sakurai wants to put them in, he can without any problems. I don't know why this is even an argument here...

^ Wouldn't be more about SAKURAI remembering it? Brawl trophies are made by his company... not Nintendo.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I dearly hope K. Rool's Rare design is used in Smash. Not only does it lend him more moveset potential with his tail, it looks less grotesque while oozing more character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Does Nintendo remember DKC3 exists? Aside from being on Virtual Console, the only reference it got in Brawl was as a footnote on Squitter's trophy.
A lot of stuff don't get mentioned in Smash games... it doesn't always mean they aren't going to get anything like a stage or a character or such... Melee didn't have anything on Punch-Out, Sin & Punishment, R.O.B. and yet we got Little Mac and Saki as Assist Trophies and R.O.B. as playable character.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Goodness. What did I start. Little comment about Waluigi, and HyperFalcon and Asage go and embarrass themselves.

andandandandand

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In terms of DKC3, Kiddy Kong is essentially blacklisted, with no subsequent appearances whatsoever aside from remakes. It wouldn't surprise me to see the attitude carry over to the entire game, especially considering its two predecessors were far more popular. This is both in and out of Smash, mind you.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Did you forget about Donkey Kong 64, where Diddy appeared? And both versions of DIDDY Kong Racing? Spin-offs, non-canon, whatever you consider it, Diddy appears more often than you think. I hope he gets in Mario Party 9, though.

D

Deleted member

With the Rare ordeal, pretty much Nintendo got to keep anything and everything that debuted in a Donkey Kong game, because Donkey Kong was a Nintendo property.

Everything else was kept by Rare.
(And no, Diddy Kong Racing doesn't count as a Donkey Kong game. That is why Rare owns it's original characters other than the Kritter character, because Kritters are from Donkey Kong.)

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'll disregard these statements on the premise that its simply words without citations.

But in the interest of an actual discussion, I'd like to know

-Why there is a significant amount of relatively recognizable DK content omitted from all of Donkey Kong's Latest side scrollers

-What reasons kept Diddy Kong from Smash until Brawl

-Absence of any DK assist trophies or items (not even from Donkey Kong, Jungle Beat & Climber, Konga, Mario & DK)

-Why the DKC GBA ports were so heavily altered, more distinctly than say the A link to the past port, Mario Advance saga, Metroid Zero Mission.

-Just for fun, discuss why DK's racer bombed so immensely

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You know... I have been playing Donkey Kong Country 3 on the Wii Virtual Console since yesterday... and well, I cannot help but feel a bit greedy about wanting both a Dixie & Kiddy team and King K. Rool as playable characters. I really loved the original trilogy back in the SNES years!

Kiddy is TRASH. I cannot stand him in that game. Once Diddy dies, I might as well have to start over because I can't do a FREAKING THING with him.

Pichu was not popular at all. He was hated along with Dr. Mario for being a joke character and most wanted him gone from Smash.
Which planet do you live on? Pichu and Doc definitely have a fanbase. There are a lot of people who want both back, especially Pichu. I don't know why you think this way. Regaurdless of how piss poor Pichu was, it's still a popular Pokemon, and way fun to play as. I prefer Pichu over Pika in Melee. (Also I main Doc)

Anyways, there has never been a hated Smash character, they all have fanbases, even Pichu.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was talking about games Diddy APPEARED in. Not Donkey Kong games in general.

Likewise, Diddy's in a lot of DK games.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Shortiecanbrawl said:
Anyways, there has never been a hated Smash character, they all have fanbases, even Pichu.
No evidence for another discussion? Bust!

Simply because a character has a fanbase doesn't mean there aren't equal amounts of people that disapprove of it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No evidence for another discussion? Bust!

Simply because a character has a fanbase doesn't mean there aren't equal amounts of people that disapprove of it.
What are you talking about? Do you honestly think more people hate Pichu than people are fine/okay/like him?

No way.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I wouldn't know the numbers actually, though I'd be curious to find out.

But that's not the case with this situation. You stated that there has never been a hated character. Which would be false, based on the notion that people have opinions over certain characters.

You like him, that proves that he is liked. I have spoken with people that gave honest opinions about that they didn't like him. It proves that there are people that dislike characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I thought a Dixie and Kiddy team would be interesting. It would be like having a Donkey and Diddy team but without actually making Donkey and Diddy a team because they were already separate in Brawl. I was playing DKC3 earlier today and I thought they could have an interesting play style to bring to the Smash scene.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Technically, you mean universally hated. But no character in existence is. No one.

Likewise, Pichu has his fanbases, but so does everyone. Even Complete Monsters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
At least Pichu, if only because of its relation to the MASCOT OF POKEMON, is very popular by itself. I mean, there are plenty of people who wanted Raichu in Smash.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Wow, usually its Toad vs Bowser Jr., but I guess he won that round and now he's taking on Dixie. After he wins this match he'll go up against Ridley. Good luck Toad!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wouldn't know the numbers actually, I'd be curious to find out.
Well I doubt you'll ever find out. I think everyone over exaggerates "Hate Bases" as well as "Japan LOVES x character" far too often. Pichu isn't the most loved, character, this is true, but he has a definite fanbase that is probably bigger than a band of randomly angry people. I don't see why you could even hate him? "YOU SUCK, THEREFORE I HATE YOU". Shouldn't they hate Fox and Falco more? Or Meta Knight, Diddy and Snake?

As for the misconception that Tingle is ADORED by the Japanese, I for one have been told that they like him okay, not that they LOVE him.

Not like hate bases or Japanese fanbases mean much anyways.

But that's not the case with this situation. You stated that there has never been a hated character. Which would be false, based on the notion that people have opinions over certain characters.

You like him, that proves that he is liked. I have spoken with people that gave honest opinions about that they didn't like him. It proves that there are people that dislike characters.
Whatever. Over analyze all you want.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I don't think I'd be compelled to stress hate bases, I think that was FanMan.

There are characters that I do hate, simply because I (A.) don't understand them or (B.) have a hard time fighting against them.

Game and Watch would be my prime example.

Anyway, I'm curious as to why we should be concerned about the number of likes or dislike. You like a character for his own merit, that's all that matters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@BirthNote: lololol.

Not too long ago I had to decide whether I wanted Dixie or Toad on my roster since they both couldn't fit on the ROW they should be on. CLEARLY MY PERFECT SLOT PLACEMENT KNOWS ALL.

D

Deleted member

-Why there is a significant amount of relatively recognizable DK content omitted from all of Donkey Kong's Latest side scrollers
Because Nintendo tries new things. Some things work, some things don't.
Nintendo does what Nintendo does.

In 64, obviously he wasn't priority. Melee, no frigging clue. But also note, that other noteworthy characters such as Meta Knight, Dedede, and Wario didn't get into Smash until Brawl either.

-Absence of any DK assist trophies or items (not even from Donkey Kong, Jungle Beat & Climber, Konga, Mario & DK)
Who knows why there wasn't an AT for Donkey Kong, but to label it as a "Rare Conspiracy" is idiotic.
As for Items: Hammer is from Donkey Kong. Barrel Cannon is from DKC (why removed from Brawl, again, who knows. But so was the Red Shell, so you can't really attribute to "OMG CONSPIRACY"). Spring is from Donkey Kong as well.
But the Barrel Cannon in a way, was in Brawl, in the SSE.

-Why the DKC GBA ports were so heavily altered, more distinctly than say the A link to the past port, Mario Advance saga, Metroid Zero Mission.
The GBC port of DKC was heavily altered as well, and Rareware was still with Nintendo then. This point is moot.
Even more so because Rare developed the GBA ports of the games as well.

Completely unrelated to a "Rare Conspiracy". It bombed because again, Nintendo likes to try new things. Some work, some don't. Barrel Blast obviously, did not work.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll disregard these statements on the premise that its simply words without citations.

But in the interest of an actual discussion, I'd like to know

I'd really like to know as well. Even though nowhere as bad as Jungle Beat, lots of elements still lacked in DKCR. Which is unfortunate, cause Kremlings are just as important to DK as Goonbas and Koopas are to Mario. This needs to be realised and build on from.

Legal issues with Rare. They still claimed to have ownership over DK, or at least wanted to have it from Nintendo so they went to court and Rare lost. That was for Melee though, don't think he was considered for 64.

I was kind of upset that the Barrel Cannon was gone from Brawl. But the Spring is an item from DK Jr... I don't really count that though.

they had to recreate the whole game or so I've heard for the GBA games.

cause Diddy Kong Racing was always better than Mario Kart. :awesome:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I believe there was some rumor that Miyamoto had a hand in keeping Diddy out of Melee. He was never fond of Rare's take with HIS CREATION.

Anyone else recall that popping up?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Anyway, I'm curious as to why we should be concerned about the number of likes or dislike. You like a character for his own merit, that's all that matters.
I suppose if you're trying to get a feel for a characters popularity, and want to sum up if they're going to make enough of a splash for Sakurai to look at, then you would want to see what others think.

I do think popularity (How many people like them) is something to keep in mind. But, so long as they're "popular enough" I guess, it doesn't matter how popular they are. For example Toad, Dixie, Krystal, and Samurai Goroh are probably all on different levels in terms of HOW popular they are, but the fact that they have reached a certain threshold is all that matters. They reach the point that they will probably be looked at.

I believe there was some rumor that Miyamoto had a hand in keeping Diddy out of Melee. He was never fond of Rare's take with HIS CREATION.

Anyone else recall that popping up?
That's very interesting, where did you hear it?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do believe that! Diddy Kong was always disliked, thats why they tries to push DK to the arcade style again with Mario vs DK. Miyamoto was also mad jealous of DKC's succes so he created Yoshi's Island as a anti-DKC (its funny how Brawl refers to it in always having DK and Diddy help you fighting Yoshi and vise versa)

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Shortiecanbrawl said:
I suppose if you're trying to get a feel for a characters popularity, and want to sum up if they're going to make enough of a plash for Sakurai to look at, then you would want to see what others think.
Ah, so at this point its about chances...perhaps?

Anyhow, I don't understand why rare conspiracies should be labeled idiotic, its a topic is all. To each his own I guess. My overall point is that Nintendo doesn't have or didn't have complete control over the Donkey Kong Country series and it showed throughout the Smash series
_

Oasis, are you Serious?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering DK Jr. is now the current Donkey Kong, I like the outcome in general...

As for Diddy, he's great in his own right. And that sounds about right why he wasn't in Melee. I mean, they even went so far to change the music so it said "Heck" instead of "Hell", which is ironic, since DK64 is rated E, while Melee was rated T.

If anything, I think Nintendo tries to appeal more towards children, but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom