• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toad is heavily competing against Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario though. Some would even want Waluigi...

Dixie only has K.Rool, and can easily get in aling with him.

If Roy comes back to 3DS I ****ing want him back btw. :)
:phone:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
While Dixie can be argued that she has a bigger role in her series than Toad, but all things considered, at this point, Toad has the bigger chance.

Why? Toad doesn't have a large obstacle in his way like Dixie does. Dixie's got the lovable croc lummox to get past.
Dixie was planned as a playable character in Brawl.

Toad was planned as a special move and made it as a special move in Brawl.

Sakurai wanted Dixie and Diddy as a tag team. Maybe now that Diddy made it on his own, she will have a harder time to make it as a fighter.

However, for Brawl she was picked ahead of King Rool.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Because the Fire Emblem games tends to focus on the Lords. And honestly with so many character each game have, very few of them will be relevant.

Dixie was playable in more than just two games:
DKC2/GBA
DKL2
DKC3/GBA
DKL3
Mario Superstar Baseball/Super Sluggers
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber

NINE GAMES!
If spinoffs like diddy kong racing, jungle climber, barrel blast, and the baseball games count, then Toad blows Dixie out of the water.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Dixie AND K. Rool.

End discussion.

Seriously though this is a stupid discussion.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
While Dixie can be argued that she has a bigger role in her series than Toad, but all things considered, at this point, Toad has the bigger chance.

Why? Toad doesn't have a large obstacle in his way like Dixie does. Dixie's got the lovable croc lummox to get past.
Toad has the huge obstacle of still being stuck as Peach's shield. At least Dixie was CONSIDERED as playable character for Brawl.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Young Horsetail: IIRC, I read that Nintendo still partially owns Starfy, so I wouldn't worry.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Toad has the huge obstacle of still being stuck as Peach's shield. At least Dixie was CONSIDERED as playable character for Brawl.
Being a special move shows that Sakurai cares about Toad more than he does any other potential mario newcomer. Are they moves? it could easily be changed to Toadsworth. No. Dixie was only planned for Brawl to be teamed up with Diddy. Dixie was only half a character.If 3 slots were being considered, K. Rool would be in first.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Being a special move shows that Sakurai cares about Toad more than he does any other potential newcomer. Are they moves? No. Dixie was only planned for Brawl to be teamed up with Diddy. Dixie was only half a character.If 3 slots were being considered, K. Rool would be in first.
Silly.

Young Horsetail: IIRC, I read that Nintendo still partially owns Starfy, so I wouldn't worry.

Well, he was in Brawl, so I think that should clear up all your worries about that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Being a special move shows that Sakurai cares about Toad more than he does any other potential newcomer. Are they moves? it could easily be changed to Toadsworth. No. Dixie was only planned for Brawl to be teamed up with Diddy. Dixie was only half a character.If 3 slots were being considered, K. Rool would be in first.
Teamed up with Diddy is already a lot more than just a B move, especially one as a living shield.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I want both K. Rool and Dixie Kong to be in Smash 4 but I don't see it happening unfortunately. I think Smash 4 will have 52 TOTAL (as in transformations, not slots on the character selection screen) playable characters.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Being a special move shows that Sakurai cares about Toad more than he does any other potential newcomer. Are they moves? it could easily be changed to Toadsworth. No. Dixie was only planned for Brawl to be teamed up with Diddy. Dixie was only half a character.If 3 slots were being considered, K. Rool would be in first.
So... let me get this straight.

In your eyes, being used as a special move rather than a tag team partner means that... Sakurai has shown more care towards Toad than Dixie? WAT

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Being a special move shows that Sakurai cares about Toad more than he does any other potential newcomer. Are they moves? No. Dixie was only planned for Brawl to be teamed up with Diddy. Dixie was only half a character.If 3 slots were being considered, K. Rool would be in first.
Sakurai considers Toad as part of the Mario Universe that should be represented as a subject/servant/protector of Peach. He is a special move to help define Peach as Princess Toadstool, ruler of the Toads.

Dixie may not make it now that she was dropped as a Diddy tag partner. However, Sakurai did mention that he had ideas in Brawl that could not be done at the time. In a separate interview he mentions the tagteam idea as a idea that his team could not execute at the time. Maybe this is connected, maybe not.

I want K. Rool. But Sakurai has his bias and I believe that if another rep comes in it will be Dixie. (Perhaps both, hard to tell)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Zzuxon is right on that. Toad is definitely more well known.

Not that that means anything in the long run. Ice Climbers weren't heavily remembered, yet they got in. :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am a strong Toad supporter but I admit that Dixie Kong is in a better position simply due to Sakurai at least having put some thought into how she would fight in Smash Bros. (both from trying to get her to tag team with Diddy and also how her trophy profile mentions her using ponytail to attack). If it were not for K. Rool, Dixie Kong would probably be a guaranteed newcomer for Smash 4.

Also, another prediction. If K. Rool is revealed as a starter newcomer, and Dixie Kong does end up getting in as a playable character, she will probably be among the last characters unlocked (possibly even the last0.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Doesn't matter much, there's a lot about character distinctions that were under wraps in the interest not to give off false impressions like these.

I find it hard to believe that there's nothing going on with Paper Mario behind the scenes when we can get items or other things like Lip's stick.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Look, Dixie does have currently better chances than being playable over Toad due to actually... almost being playable.

Toad is more well known.

That's all.

Toad is a lot more important to the Mario series in general than Dixie is to the DK series. Also, let's not get into the crappy debate about the DK being part of the Mario series(when they're either completely separate or the opposite).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrono: Dixie as last playable? I think that spot could be given to
long-waited character like Isaac, maybe. Someone who's worth all the wait.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Also, another prediction. If K. Rool is revealed as a starter newcomer, and Dixie Kong does end up getting in as a playable character, she will probably be among the last characters unlocked (possibly even the last0.
Why do you say this?

...Wolf?
...Game & Watch?

@CHU, what is your opinion on the mysterious Sakurai quote about IP problems with a Nintendo character?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Toad may be popular, that's for sure, but I wouldn't say he's "iconic".
Toad has been in Super Mario 2, All of the Mario Kart games, some of the sports games, and New Super Mario Bros Wii. Not to mention he was a recurring character on the Mario TV show and lots of merchandise. I'd say he's pretty iconic.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Wolf was the last one unlocked in Brawl. There are plenty of people that think Dixie Kong was worth all the wait.

Also, I am curious when the OVAs for Kid Icarus Uprising will finally be released, because when they do is when we will finally see the fanbases for Palutena and Medusa explode.

Toad is iconic, and far, far more well-known than Dixie Kong. The only thing worth debating was whether Sakurai gave more consideration to Dixie Kong as a playable character than Toad, of which all evidence points to that he did.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toad is not more important to Mario than Dixie is to DK. Toad is 5th man in order, 6th probably if you count Yoshi. Dixie comes in importance right after K.Rool making her 4th important.

Dixie also had her game, infact 2 in the main -not spin off- games in her series. Being playable fully in 4 games, which was more than DK was in DKC and DKL should give her priority over Toad.

Why Dixie vs Toad all of a sudden?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrono: I see. Though I dunno about it much.

Can't just WAIT for those OVA'S. Especially Palutena+SHAFT-ones. Get your laugh-belts ready. (And betting my money on there'll be some SHAFT-styled scantily clad Palutena-fan service too. XD)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I didn't phrase my last statement very well. I did not mean Toad is more important than Dixie for that reason. The things I said about Toad and about Dixie are not connected. I'm just saying that being Peach's b move is not a wall to his inclusion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want both K. Rool and Dixie Kong to be in Smash 4 but I don't see it happening unfortunately. I think Smash 4 will have 52 TOTAL (as in transformations, not slots on the character selection screen) playable characters.
You know... I have been playing Donkey Kong Country 3 on the Wii Virtual Console since yesterday... and well, I cannot help but feel a bit greedy about wanting both a Dixie & Kiddy team and King K. Rool as playable characters. I really loved the original trilogy back in the SNES years!

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Toad has been in Super Mario 2, All of the Mario Kart games, some of the sports games, and New Super Mario Bros Wii. Not to mention he was a recurring character on the Mario TV show and lots of merchandise. I'd say he's pretty iconic.
I stand corrected then

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Toad is not more important to Mario than Dixie is to DK. Toad is 5th man in order, 6th probably if you count Yoshi. Dixie comes in importance right after K.Rool making her 4th important.

Dixie also had her game, infact 2 in the main -not spin off- games in her series. Being playable fully in 4 games, which was more than DK was in DKC and DKL should give her priority over Toad.

Why Dixie vs Toad all of a sudden?

Toad is more important than Dixie overall. And Dixie vs Toad is kind of a dumb debate. Shortie, you brought this monstrosity upon us!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Can't just WAIT for those OVA'S. Especially Palutena+SHAFT-ones. Get your laugh-belts ready. (And betting my money on there'll be some SHAFT-styled scantily clad Palutena-fan service too. XD)

If there is fanservice pertaining to Palutena in the OVAs, she will easily become among the Top 5 most wanted newcomers for Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

I don't think there are any obvious "duh" cut characters for SSB4 like there were in Melee. Every Brawl vet IMO (with the possible exception of third-parties) has a decent shot of returning.

@HyperFalcon: I'd like to hear from you as to why you think Waluigi can represents the spin-off games. It's not like he was from the beginning and he has missed a major title.

Pichu was not popular at all. He was hated along with Dr. Mario for being a joke character and most wanted him gone from Smash.

@Young Horstail: It's not the end of the world. Sakurai mind can change and patterns do not guarantee anything. But if that was the roster, then that's a pretty disappointing job by Sakurai's behalf. Zoroark and no Ridley especially makes me cringe.
GoldenYuitisuin said:
If it is destined to be only two FE characters, I would rather it be Marth and Ike again.
I concur.
Diddy Kong said:
I said it before and now will say it again... Marth, Chrome, Ike, Roy. That order. If we get 2 characters, they'll be the first two mentioned. Ike will be 3rd, Roy 4th. I don't think we'll get more than 3 characters though- and find Chrome a shoe-in.
Chrome is not a guarantee when we know almost nothing about his personality and that Fire Emblem fans think he's basically Ike 2.0. Chrome will receive almost no true support unless things change (and being the most recent doesn't count, it's bandwagon behavior at it's finest).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I see little case for Dixie getting in at this point. K. Rool has her beat on all fronts for a third slot, and as an addition to Diddy...such a substantial change seems too severe for Sakurai. Plus, both Diddy and Dixie are competent adventurers on their own.

Although the DK series warrants four slots, Dixie doesn't seem to have enough support to put her in the spotlight over other characters. Sure, you'll hear about "decent" popularity here and there, but it seems too overshadowed to make any impact.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Super Smash Bros. Fan said:
Pichu was not popular at all. He was hated along with Dr. Mario for being a joke character and most wanted him gone from Smash.
Thanks

I see little case for Dixie getting in at this point. K. Rool has her beat on all fronts for a third slot, and as an addition to Diddy...such a substantial change seems too severe for Sakurai.
BS statement.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If there is fanservice pertaining to Palutena in the OVAs, she will easily become among the Top 5 most wanted newcomers for Smash 4.
Looking at the trailers (and nerd glasses) chances are that will happen, throw in everything that she has above Medusa, she'll have really good shot overall. Fanservice sells, and I'm not complaining one bit. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Toad is more important than Dixie overall. And Dixie vs Toad is kind of a dumb debate.
Exactly this. Toad plays a role in almost every Mario game made. Small, big, doesn't matter. He's a key character in the Mario series. Maybe not to Sakurai's eyes, but definitely in the reality department. I don't know where people got the idea that he's not important, but he's a major character in it.

Dixie... in some, but that's it. This has nothing to do with how many characters, but if being completely replaced in DK64 says something, she clearly wasn't the most important female. Honestly, why replace her for a crappy expy? I really question her importance since she's not in most of the newest DK games, where only DK and Diddy seems to be key. Toad, meanwhile, is put into just about them all. I can barely think of any Mario games without Toad in general. That says something of who is more important. Appearances DO matter, after all.

Also, I hope that earlier list was ignoring REMAKES, which do not count.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
BS statement.
Okay, you're right...Dixie is a female rep.

I don't find her consideration for Brawl reason to consider her likely this time around. Diddy has been established as an individual character, and K. Rool's popularity has surged significantly. On what planet does she beat him out for a slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom