• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I favor Roy, only because my little brother is a fan, and I enjoyed every Melee character, including him.

I've never played FE games, so the characters I've seen and liked, are probably silly. Like Caeda, and this girl with green hair and an orange dress. Saw her once, liked it.

As for Chrome, I don't really have an opinion on him.. I doubt he will be interesting to me, so I don't care if he's added. He doesn't tickle my fancy. I mean, even Roy does that somewhat by reminding me of Melee and all its glory.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
There was almost three FE characters in Brawl, three is definitely not out of the question...
Alright. I do concede that there can be three FE characters. However, if this is the case, one will be a semi-clone of another. Not three unique FE characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think if Roy returns he will be one of the last characters unlocked in Smash 4 (think Toon Link and Wolf in Brawl).

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's because I've never played Fire Emblem, but why do people have such a limited scope of FE characters? As far as I know there's a large pool of popular characters for the series. Why not one of them rather than Roy\Krom? I recall Black Knight, Micaiah, and Caeda being somewhat popular a while back. What happened to them?

And I'm also kind of apprehensive about the DK series. I'd really like to see K. Rool but it seems Dixie is Sakurai's favorite :/ Hopefully he'll do what he did with the Kirby series and include both.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Maybe it's because I've never played Fire Emblem, but why do people have such a limited scope of FE characters? As far as I know there's a large pool of popular characters for the series. Why not one of them rather than Roy\Krom? I recall Black Knight, Micaiah, and Caeda being somewhat popular a while back. What happened to them?

And I'm also kind of apprehensive about the DK series. I'd really like to see K. Rool but it seems Dixie is Sakurai's favorite :/ Hopefully he'll do what he did with the Kirby series and include both.
i played fire embler it was hard
so i just gave.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One of the higher ups at Intelligent Systems said he wanted to remake FE6. I think if Roy is brought back in Smash 4, we will probably see FE6 remake as the next Fire Emblem after Smash 4's release (much like remakes of Marth's games happened after Brawl's release).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Opeluid's right. Dixie was added later, but King K. Rool has been the villain in all the DKC and the DK64 game. Possibly DK Land too.

Dixie's kind of like the final extra partner. Basically, she's in Toad territory of important playable-wise. She's important, but not at KKR's level.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Opeluid's right. Dixie was added later, but King K. Rool has been the villain in all the DKC and the DK64 game. Possibly DK Land too.

Dixie's kind of like the final extra partner. Basically, she's in Toad territory of important playable-wise. She's important, but not at KKR's level.
No, she is definitely not. Toad is a minor character who shows up a lot. She's been a main character in two of the three DKC games. So no, she is much more important than Toad. MUCH more.

Sakurai also mentioned that even among Nintendo characters, there were some they couldn't consider due to intellectual property rights issues.
Opinions?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Roy vs Krom is a big Debate here. I support Krom, since everything good about Roy was in Ike. Ike is like Roy 2.0.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
No, she is definitely not. Toad is a minor character who shows up a lot. She's been a main character in two of the three DKC games. So no, she is much more important than Toad. MUCH more.
*Guffaw*
Hehe, NO. Toad is so much bigger than Dixie it's not even funny. Toad is an ICON. There are people who never play video games who know Toad. Dixie Kong is a somewhat important character in a series that is spun off of the series Toad is from.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well IMO, Roy has just as much going for him as Chrome has against him, the only thing that could change that would be how Chrome acts as a character instead of being Ike 2.0.

The only thing going against Roy would be because he was a clone in Melee. Thankfully relevance doesn't matter.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
*Guffaw*
Hehe, NO. Toad is so much bigger than Dixie it's not even funny. Toad is an ICON. There are people who never play video games who know Toad. Dixie Kong is a somewhat important character in a series that is spun off of the series Toad is from.
I remember you, you're the kid who doesn't realize how big the DK series is. Toad is popular, but not a main character. It would be best not to mix those two things up. Otherwise Waluigi would be a main character as well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Opinions?
I know most people here will "GENO!!!111", however, another thing I think people overlook is F-Zero, notably the last two GBA F-Zero titles that were released. I think TV Tokyo holds the copyrights for the character designs for that series as well as some of the original characters (Ryu Suzaku/Rick Wheeler). This would keep any of the last two F-Zero's designs showing up as stickers, and some of the original characters from them showing up as trophies. There is also the possibility with some of GX's original characters are partly owned by Sega (since according to Brawl some of F-Zero GX's music tracks were partly the property of Sega).

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I remember you, you're the kid who doesn't realize how big the DK series is. Toad is popular, but not a main. It would be best not to mix those two things up. Otherwise Waluigi would be a main character as well.
I actually changed my mind about DK. It was bigger than I thought. I support the inclusion of 1 new character. And i don't understand what your saying about "mains".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I said it before and now will say it again... Marth, Chrome, Ike, Roy. That order. If we get 2 characters, they'll be the first two mentioned. Ike will be 3rd, Roy 4th. I don't think we'll get more than 3 characters though- and find Chrome a shoe-in.

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yep, and if not him, definitely Mewtwo if he returns...
Mewtwo and Roy definitely won't be the LAST characters that are unlocked. However, at least with Roy, I am definitely visualizing him being among the last characters unlocked. I think even if Mewtwo or Roy were the last characters finished for Smash 4, they would make the last character unlocked be a newcomer.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Toad's widely more important than Dixie. Honestly, the only thing they share in common, is that they have a similar playable ratio. That's it.(and by that, I mean main series games)

Dixie's playable... in 2 games? Toad's playable in SMB2USA, and... New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Wario's Woods is arguable a spin-of. And even then, Toad is playable in a ton of games, where Dixie isn't. She didn't even get in DK64, being replaced by a poor expy. K. Rool was still in there.

I'm saying that Dixie should be playable, about as easily as Toad should be. K. Rool comes first.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Then Chrome is Roy 3.0, or perhaps he's Roy. 2.5 since Chrome is simply Ike with a tattoo. :troll:
It doesn't really matter than does it? I quite honestly don't really care. I would prefer Caeda or Lyn.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
*Guffaw*
Toad did get to Smash first. But as a special move.

Dixie was planned for Brawl.

So judging by Sakurai's past actions, Dixie seems more likely than Toad as a playable fighter.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
*Guffaw*
Small fish in big pond =/= big fish in small pond

Just because Toad is a part of a bigger series doesn't he himself is bigger...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I know most people here will "GENO!!!111", however, another thing I think people overlook is F-Zero, notably the last two GBA F-Zero titles that were released. I think TV Tokyo holds the copyrights for the character designs for that series as well as some of the original characters (Ryu Suzaku/Rick Wheeler). This would keep any of the last two F-Zero's designs showing up as stickers, and some of the original characters from them showing up as trophies. There is also the possibility with some of GX's original characters are partly owned by Sega (since according to Brawl some of F-Zero GX's music tracks were partly the property of Sega).
But what character specifically could that be? I've heard people say Krystal, but we all know that's simply not true. Sakurai didn't know who she was till after the roster was already solid. Plus, she got a trophy. Geno is the only one I can think of who would be considered a Nintendo character, but might have IP issues.

I would like to remind Chrome lovers that he is, as far as we know, JO, unlike Ike, and Roy already has an existing Smash fanbase.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Because the Fire Emblem games tends to focus on the Lords. And honestly with so many character each game have, very few of them will be relevant.

Dixie's playable... in 2 games? Toad's playable in SMB2USA, and... New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Wario's Woods is arguable a spin-of. And even then, Toad is playable in a ton of games, where Dixie isn't. She didn't even get in DK64, being replaced by a poor expy. K. Rool was still in there.
Dixie was playable in more than just two games:
DKC2/GBA
DKL2
DKC3/GBA
DKL3
Mario Superstar Baseball/Super Sluggers
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber

NINE GAMES!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I remember reading somewhere that there was some IP issues pertaining to Joy Mecha Fight, and keep in mind that game still has a strong following in Japan.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same with Zelda characters, but nobody believes me.

Post was aimed at GreenKirby.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Small fish in big pond =/= big fish in small pond

Just because Toad is a part of a bigger series doesn't he himself is bigger...
The main body of my arguement was that Toad is Iconic. Dixie is not.

D

Deleted member

Characters with IP issues always confuse me. The only one I know that has that problem is Geno.
And I hope that it stays that way.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
/Changed forum skin to Smash Mobile- fits quite well for my 3DS./

Toise with Starfy? Treasure with Saki? Camelot with Isaac?

I could be wrong here though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The main body of my arguement was that Toad is Iconic. Dixie is not.
You are saying DK is a Mario spin off franchise, so I don't take that seriously.

Dixie starred in her own game in DKC3. Toad has starred only in Wario Wood iirc, and Dixie was also in DKC2. I'd say she's more important to her series than Toad is.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I remember reading somewhere that there was some IP issues pertaining to Joy Mecha Fight, and keep in mind that game still has a strong following in Japan.
That could have been what Sakurai meant while making MELEE and commented on Sukapon, but it would be silly for him to try a second time on a character who he said not to expect a few years earlier.

Still, I don't think Geno OR Sukapon will ever be added, because of their IP issues, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Ghiraham(sp)
Ghirahim.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Same with Zelda characters, but nobody believes me.

Post was aimed at GreenKirby.
If you mean characters like Midna, Ghiraham(sp) and the like, my example doesn't cut it for them. As you see, the requested Zelda characters were still relevant to the overall plot of the solo game they were in.

D

Deleted member

While Dixie can be argued that she has a bigger role in her series than Toad, but all things considered, at this point, Toad has the bigger chance.

Why? Toad doesn't have a large obstacle in his way like Dixie does. Dixie's got the lovable croc lummox to get past.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is the source btw of where Intelligent Systems expresses interest in a FE6 remake:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=71773

- Masayuki Horikawa (Planning Div. Chief Game Designer, Intelligent Systems) would also prefer to make a new game in the Fire Emblem series. Starting on a brand-new game provides an open palette, thus giving more room for innovation. If he were to remake a title, he would choose Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi. Mr. Horikawa wants a chance to introduce Roy properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom