• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

plokoon9619

Smash Cadet
You guys do realize Layton has a malignant growth under that hat. You should watch Professor Layton and the Malignant Growth on youtube, it tells a lot about his character.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I don't care what Layton is,, he has great move set potential.

Also who thinks Ballad of the Goddess would be a good song in SSB4?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Honestly, when the Dojo comes back up, I'll look at it. See stages, listen to music, and see every character in Sm4sh, but I will NOT look at how to unlock them this time around.

:phone:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yeah, that is why discussing rosters and such becomes so unexciting. I want fun characters. I do not care who is likely because "x" game was released or "y" title did or did not sell well. It is about having characters that make me go "wow, I did not think I'd see him/her. I wonder what he/she can do?". Just something that reminds me that this is a game that is meant to be fun and enjoyed with my family, and not some exercise in academic superiority. Not sure if the heart of what I am trying to express is clear, but I know what I mean. Short case Bandana Dee is a character that was fun to play as in KRTD and only made me think about how great of an addition he would be in the next Smash Bros.
This is almost exactly the point I was trying to bring up in one of my earlier posts, I'll see if I can find it right quick...

We may not be on the topic of music right now, but does anyone support the usage of Nintendo anime music for Smash?

For example, the infamous "Meaning of Truth" from F-Zero GP Legend, or the original Pokemon theme we grew up with?
Yeah, as a matter of fact, I was just talking about it a little earlier back before you posted that.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
What's good? Been gone for a little while, playing an old game I loved years ago (And still do). I think I'll be playing that for awhile, so I won't be on. But I'm going to ask THE question (Because I don't get it like some of you do), any news of new release or sm4sh (by chance) info? I'd like to know, cause I'll be gone for awhile, playing Well of Souls, so I'd like to know. Once again, sorry for asking.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
^ I swear I'm gonna start slappin' bishes if I see Waluigi at the top of that poll :laugh:
Waluigi is one of the most commonly used characters to yet have a mainstream role, so it would be humorous if he gets a high number of votes.

But really, Waluigi has it rough, due to having no mainstream involvements.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@KumaOso: Nice and I think those play styles would work out well. How do you think Ridley's play style would work out?
Tyrant of the Air. Would have one of the strongest air games in the game. To reflect his sadistic nature, he has a command grab that will grab the opponent and grind them across the ground and toss them in the air for a mixup and he has a lot of reset options so he can continue to "play with his food".

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hey Kuma, what about Starfy's playstyle? Basically I think he'd somewhat mediocre on ground but he's gracious and swift on air, much to reflect on his marine platformer nature (He'd like be controlled on air like it's water around him, not to mention he can glide.)
I imagine his best KO moves coming from his aerial attacks and forward Smash (he'd whack opponents with Moe)

Special moves again could be good damage rackers- forward B (preferably Ultra Star Spin) could be another knockback move, hmm.

I imagine him overally medium-powered, with good damage racking and good aerial gameplay, but he's light, so he's easy to send flying.

Your thoughts on this and Starfy's style overall Kuma?

Before I go back to playing UMvC again or other stuff, I'll just stay here for a while.

Hey guys :)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
LOL he said your height sizing was dumb
I wish I could make a size chart of HIS MOTHER, but I don't have a triple-screen monitor. The amount of scrolling to either the left or right would be unbearable even with that anyhow.

HELLO BROSERKER. BE GENTLE TO FIREBRAND.

Hi

I don't use Firebrand btw. He's too.... Um..... He's not my style. LOL.

Anyway, are YOU the anonymous who posted in that blog?
Some person said:
Smash isn't designed to be competitive. It's a party game.
Since Sakurai said that he's gonna focus on satisfying both competitive and "casuals", I guess the picture is invalid.... FOR NOW. I can't tell if he means it but for now, I'll take his word

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey Kuma, what about Starfy's playstyle? Basically I think he'd somewhat mediocre on ground but he's gracious and swift on air, much to reflect on his marine platformer nature (He'd like be controlled on air like it's water around him, not to mention he can glide.)
I imagine his best KO moves coming from his aerial attacks and forward Smash (he'd whack opponents with Moe)

Special moves again could be good damage rackers- forward B (preferably Ultra Star Spin) could be another knockback move, hmm.

I imagine him overally medium-powered, with good damage racking and good aerial gameplay, but he's light, so he's easy to send flying.

Your thoughts on this and Starfy's style overall Kuma?
Seems fine. I think he would be floaty too.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Nah, he said he was that GoldenYusomething fellow that showed up here recently. I hope I don't embarrass him.

So.... What did I miss?

------------------------

I just realized something....

What if....

3DS version is for the casual side while the wii U is for the competitive side or vice versa? Could it be like that? Would there be a major problem with it?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I GUESS, Star, but his response was kind of drawn out when I think he could simply say something like "Ridley remains a popularly requested character, whose size does not negate his support, and making characters like him work is a process not special to him." Something.

AAAND what was his exact quote again, Broserker? Did he really say "competitive" or just "hardcore gamer." Because Smash has always been a "core" game enjoyed by everyone, and will remain so.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
So.... What did I miss?

------------------------

I just realized something....

What if....

3DS version is for the casual side while the wii U is for the competitive side or vice versa? Could it be like that? Would there be a major problem with it?
I'm fine with the former, **** the latter

I wish I could make a size chart of HIS MOTHER, but I don't have a triple-screen monitor. The amount of scrolling to either the left or right would be unbearable even with that anyhow.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I GUESS, Star, but his response was kind of drawn out when I think he could simply say something like "Ridley remains a popularly requested character, whose size does not negate his support, and making characters like him work is a process not special to him." Something.

AAAND what was his exact quote again, Broserker? Did he really say "competitive" or just "hardcore gamer." Because Smash has always been a "core" game enjoyed by everyone, and will remain so.
Wait first..... Look at the bolded words
- Iwata mentions that he likes how in Smash, both high level and beginner level players can feel a sense of accomplishment in comparison to other fighting games. If you don't know what you're doing in other fighting games, you'll typically get destroyed, in Smash you can earn a few more hits. Sakurai adds onto that saying "You'd think it'd be natural to help new players improve, but when the goal of a fighting game is to beat your opponent down, that becomes difficult." Iwata "feels helpless and weak when he loses badly," and lastly Sakurai adds that "the 3DS version will have ways to help beginner players," going on to suggest co-op "There will be a reward system for good players helping bad ones"

- There's implied distinction between casual and competitive play made by Sakurai, saying "all these claims of 'this character is too strong' or 'this character is too weak' varies from person to person." When he looked at the sets of data from Wifi games, all characters had relatively the same level of success. "However, according to the competitive scene, that doesn't seem to be the case elsewhere."

- A balance regarding the difficulties of surgical balance changes, and how they don't want characters to "feel the same," adding that specific traits/strengths/weaknesses are intentionally built to differentiate characters. Along with the "oh now that we nerfed this, this other thing is broken," etc. Iwata comments that this type of balancing is ridiculously hard and congratulates Sakurai for pulling it off with every single character by himself.

- Sakurai mentions that while new developers might see this initially as a learning opportunity, it'll eventually turn into a lesson of pain.

- More commentary regarding the extreme level of difficulty regarding balance vs uniqueness in a fighting game cast, with Iwata joking that "I knew I had an eye for talent when I picked you"

I just put the rest of the info to show that difference between characters MIGHT happen. Maybe Ganondorf might be de-cloned and also maybe the other clones/semi - clones.
LOL

yiran

Smash Rookie
I wonder if they will stuff in the more situational characters such as Dr. Mario and Toon Link or simply throw them away for other new characters?

Probably the latter, as advertising for other Nintendo series is a major part of the game. ):

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I wonder if they will stuff in the more situational characters such as Dr. Mario and Toon Link or simply throw them away for other new characters?

Probably the latter, as advertising for other Nintendo series is a major part of the game. ):
Or just keep those that are in Brawl in SSB4 so no one is disappointed by a lost character? I'm taking it you're referring to either clones or "alternates".

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'd be a happy man if they implemented DLC.

Mewtwo sounds choice for that sort of reveal.

Maybe Ganondorf might be de-cloned and also maybe the other clones/semi - clones.
Or perhaps go with Kuma's switchable playstyle idea. I'm sure there was a good reason to keep him luigified within Brawl.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
This

Let's talk about this instead

Wy U hatin on Tingle? He has his own games, and he got around 35th in Top Roster candidates, a primarily american poll. He'd have done much better in a similar Japanese poll. He's also the only co-op character in the Zelda series that has unique abilities.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I don't see Tingle getting a spot. He had his own game before Brawl was in development and that did not earn him a spot. His boat has sailed.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wait first..... Look at the bolded words
- Iwata mentions that he likes how in Smash, both high level and beginner level players can feel a sense of accomplishment in comparison to other fighting games. If you don't know what you're doing in other fighting games, you'll typically get destroyed, in Smash you can earn a few more hits. Sakurai adds onto that saying "You'd think it'd be natural to help new players improve, but when the goal of a fighting game is to beat your opponent down, that becomes difficult." Iwata "feels helpless and weak when he loses badly," and lastly Sakurai adds that "the 3DS version will have ways to help beginner players," going on to suggest co-op "There will be a reward system for good players helping bad ones"

- There's implied distinction between casual and competitive play made by Sakurai, saying "all these claims of 'this character is too strong' or 'this character is too weak' varies from person to person." When he looked at the sets of data from Wifi games, all characters had relatively the same level of success. "However, according to the competitive scene, that doesn't seem to be the case elsewhere."

- A balance regarding the difficulties of surgical balance changes, and how they don't want characters to "feel the same," adding that specific traits/strengths/weaknesses are intentionally built to differentiate characters. Along with the "oh now that we nerfed this, this other thing is broken," etc. Iwata comments that this type of balancing is ridiculously hard and congratulates Sakurai for pulling it off with every single character by himself.

- Sakurai mentions that while new developers might see this initially as a learning opportunity, it'll eventually turn into a lesson of pain.

- More commentary regarding the extreme level of difficulty regarding balance vs uniqueness in a fighting game cast, with Iwata joking that "I knew I had an eye for talent when I picked you"

I just put the rest of the info to show that difference between characters MIGHT happen.
Thanks for posting this. I remember SmashChu saying that Sakurai was using wi-fi results to show that the game was balanced (there are so many reasons why this is a horrible measurement), but thanks for reminding me that he is aware that the balance in competitive play is a different animal.

And I think differences between characters will happen. Nay, I know it will happen. As he said, you don't want the characters to be boring which is why the characters are the way they are. You can't have everyone play like Mario, even if the game is balanced. It would still be boring.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I don't see Tingle getting a spot. He had his own game before Brawl was in development and that did not earn him a spot. His boat has sailed.
bowserlick got a point.What if we dont make it too ssb4.

but i want tingle of one reason more characters.:troll:

D

Deleted member

Lol, I see my message to Vaztor about his Ridley blog has been mentioned....

Also, to those that say Tingle doesn't have a moveset, I've made one that truly captures his personality and capabilities.

Neutral Combo: Two wimpy styled punches.

Neutral Forward: Two handed knuckler. Similar animation to last attack in Luigi’s Dash Attack.

Dash Attack: Faceplant. Works like Kirby’s Dash Attack in SSB64.

Neutral Up: Double fist up. Similar to Ness’ Neutral Up, but with fists.

Neutral Down: Russian Kick Dance. If used in excess, he does the actual dance, so it technically does two hits per full Neutral Down.

Forward Smash: Smashes his large head forward.

Up Smash: Flips map upward. It’s flipped like Mario’s Cape, and similar, but not too similar to Mr. Game & Watch’s Neutral Up.

Down Smash: 2 Jumping Jacks facing the camera.

Neutral Air: Ballerina spin.

Forward Air: Whacks forward with rolled up map.

Back Air: Kicks both feet back in a Superman pose.

Up Air: Pokes up with his pen/paintbrush/whatever he draws maps with.

Down Air: Midair Irish Jig dance.

Forward Throw: A cartoonish dust cloud forms around Tingle and his opponent as he beats them down while clouded. Think of old cartoon violence. This is used in Tingle’s Freshly Picked Rosy Rupeeland.

Up Throw: Tosses the opponent up, and jumps up, hitting his opponent with the point on his head.

Back Throw: Turns, lays the opponent down, then punts them like a football.

Down Throw: Flings his opponent down and starts beating their head as if throwing a tantrum. (This refers to if he uses it on another Tingle. If on someone else, he hits where Tingle’s head WOULD be.)

Neutral Special: Rupee Toss- Tingle tosses a single large Rupee forward. Damage and knockback depend on the Rupee’s color.

Forward Special: Tingle Bomb- Tingle pulls out a Tingle Tuner and with it, he tosses bombs that detonate on contact with anything. They are weaker than Link’s or Toon Link’s Bombs, but he can toss more than one bomb at a time. I am still debating whether or not the explosion should not harm the user.

Up Special: Balloon- Tingle pops out a balloon, gets a good leap with it, then gently floats down. The leap is exceptionally good compared to other Up Specials, but his balloon can be popped. If it’s popped, Tingle falls while in helpless mode and takes damage from the pop itself.

Down Special: Kooloo-Limpah- Tingle does his signature dance, and the confetti (or sparkles; not sure which one to do) does any of the following effects for 5 seconds: Make the opponent trip uncontrollably, fall asleep, dizzy, move slower, or reverses movement controls. This won’t work on someone already under these symptoms. The confetti/sparkles are tossed at both sides in front of Tingle’s feet.

Final Smash: Rupee Rain- Like in the Final Boss fight of Tingle’s Freshly Picked Rosy Rupeeland, Tingle gains a bubble over his head and a pink suit, and he is able to fly around and able to shoot multiple different colored small Rupees. The Rupee shots kind of work like Tabuu’s bullet rain, while making contact with Tingle HIMSELF is where the KO potential comes from. The Rupees are used to hold the opponents in place and damage them, while ramming them is what can kill them.

D

Deleted member

I must not be the only one to hate Vaztor's guts, right?

@GoldenYuitisuin: I saw it as well. Needless to say, you kicked his ***. Did he ever respond to you?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
That's just relevancy crap. Saki had her own game before brawl, her boat sailed. Bowser Jr. had his major appearance before brawl, oops, no chance. The importance of characters is what matters, not when their games happened. Tingle has been the only zelda character to receive spin-off games, as well as being one of the most recurring characters. Very popular in Japan, and more popular in the west then most give him credit for. There is no reason for him not to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom