• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Momentum should be a general mechanic, more so than in Melee where running momentum existed. Another thing is that we need the option to turn around in the air while requiring a longer input for falling back or forward, so that you commit to it.

For the push, I think that should be whenever a grab is countered by another grab, not just after a throw to prevent chain grabs. Another thing is that tether grabs should be untechable and that the input for that is Forward-Z while neutral Z is a regular grab.

Thanks. What was my reasoning exactly?

Anyway, I'm gonna think of different playstyles for possible characters.

Saki - Gun Slinger (Noel from BlazBlue would be an excellent reference.)
Takamaru - Projectile based like MvC3's Arthur, but with Iaido and counter attacks. He would be something of a glass cannon.
Tom Nook - Fighting by not actually fighting. Playstyle would be high risk, high reward.
Ghirahim - Footsies and mixups by using his daggers, buzzsaw daggers, and 8-way teleport.
Isaac - Keepaway character preferring to win by eliminating movement options to force to opponent to SD. His Move attack is an example of this.
Lip - Zoning by using blocks from the sky as air defense and for wall juggles.
Krystal - Mid-ranged fighter with a lot of combo potential.
Little Mac - Rushdown and in your face. Has evasive techniques to dodge projectiles and initiate counter attacks close up.
Toad - Lightning grappler with a strong tech chasing game. Has some of the best mobility in the game.
Bowser Jr. - An in and out character with great mobility. Uses his siblinbs in a way similar to Marvel vs. Capcom's assists. Overall, a very obnoxious character with no one right way to play as.
Megaman - Mobile projectile character meaning he can run while shooting. Can use a command grab to copy an opponent's special. Which one exactly depends on the character.
Kumatora - A very mobile, unpredictable zoner of sorts. She uses PK Ground to get hitconfirms into devastating combos that are high risk, high reward while using her mixups to bite away at the opponent. If you've ever seen C. Viper in action, she's pretty much what Kumatora would be.
Midna - Surprisingly a grappling character thanks to her hair. Her traditional fighter "equivalent" would be Vice from King of Fighters. Wolf Link is not present.
Dixie Kong - A mixup character with a strong poking game.
K. Rool - A living wrecking ball of a character. Has a rushing attack that is designed to absorb attacks up to a certain level of damage. Balrog's rushdown might be comparable.
Your uncanny ability to articulate hypothetical playstyles intrigues me. Can we pretend that the "leak" from 4chan is real for a moment, and that Layton is appearing in SSB4? Then can you describe what he would play like? I think what you've said above is really interesting, and I'd like your take on a playable Layton.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
GiantBreadbug said:
Your uncanny ability to articulate hypothetical playstyles intrigues me.
F-yeah, you should definitely stick around, its like Hershel's in the building.

Star said:
Hey Man I'm serious
I hear you loud and clear, though certainly the last part. Heavens knows I fancy the nature of the Waddle Dee.

Its also interesting how both of "generic brands" I'm referring to are widely popular. Popular enough to become part of the moveset respective to their befitting counterparts.

As long as I get to see a more dynamic cast, J'ai tres content. It wasn't I that stated there wouldn't be an emphasis on roster size.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Your uncanny ability to articulate hypothetical playstyles intrigues me. Can we pretend that the "leak" from 4chan is real for a moment, and that Layton is appearing in SSB4? Then can you describe what he would play like? I think what you've said above is really interesting, and I'd like your take on a playable Layton.
I'll do it for him.

Layton - Zoner and trapper. Uses an odd assortment of tricks and puzzles to confounds his opponents and keep ahead. In this case, he would have moves that stun, hold, flip or in some way debilitate his opponents. Kind of like what Mewtwo tried to do, but with the possibility of using a sword for his A moves. He would also have keep away attacks to force the opponent back giving him time to rethink his approach.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I hear you loud and clear, though certainly the last part. Heavens knows I fancy the nature of the Waddle Dee.

Its also interesting how both of "generic brands" I'm referring to are widely popular. Popular enough to become part of the moveset respective to their befitting counterparts.

As long as I get to see a more dynamic cast, J'ai tres content. It wasn't I that stated there wouldn't be an emphasis on roster size.
Yeah, that is why discussing rosters and such becomes so unexciting. I want fun characters. I do not care who is likely because "x" game was released or "y" title did or did not sell well. It is about having characters that make me go "wow, I did not think I'd see him/her. I wonder what he/she can do?". Just something that reminds me that this is a game that is meant to be fun and enjoyed with my family, and not some exercise in academic superiority. Not sure if the heart of what I am trying to express is clear, but I know what I mean. Short case Bandana Dee is a character that was fun to play as in KRTD and only made me think about how great of an addition he would be in the next Smash Bros.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'll do it for him.

Layton - Zoner and trapper. Uses an odd assortment of tricks and puzzles to confounds his opponents and keep ahead. In this case, he would have moves that stun, hold, flip or in some way debilitate his opponents. Kind of like what Mewtwo tried to do, but with the possibility of using a sword for his A moves. He would also have keep away attacks to force the opponent back giving him time to rethink his approach.
This is actually pretty good. The stunning, though, should be the opponent being stumped on a puzzle for extra humor. You know, to throw in a little meta-humor.

In addition to the above description, you might also want to describe him as a puzzle to fight against.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, that is why discussing rosters and such becomes so unexciting. I want fun characters. I do not care who is likely because "x" game was released or "y" title did or did not sell well. It is about having characters that make me go "wow, I did not think I'd see him/her. I wonder what he/she can do?". Just something that reminds me that this is a game that is meant to be fun and enjoyed with my family, and not some exercise in academic superiority. Not sure if the heart of what I am trying to express is clear, but I know what I mean. Short case Bandana Dee is a character that was fun to play as in KRTD and only made me think about how great of an addition he would be in the next Smash Bros.
My thought exactly. That's why I support guys like Fulgore, Brian, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario. I love the neat ideas.

Sales/Relevancy is something I 100% ignore, not to say it can't play a factor in it, but it's not important to me whatsoever.

D

Deleted member

We may not be on the topic of music right now, but does anyone support the usage of Nintendo anime music for Smash?

For example, the infamous "Meaning of Truth" from F-Zero GP Legend, or the original Pokemon theme we grew up with?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Starphoenix said:
Yeah, that is why discussing rosters and such becomes so unexciting.
You'd be preaching to the choir if you said anymore, I may not know you as well as I think I do, but I think we've spoken with enough depth to recognize that we're on the same page about a great deal of points.

While on the subject, remember the first time you discovered that Mewtwo was in Melee? I don't think there was anyone as, well I would go as far to say inconspicuous but that has mixed meanings so I'll say: notably surprising since besides Olimar.

I'd like to experience that once more. As much as it interests me to gather insight on the likes of Prince Sable, its much more exciting knowing that there are characters that I'll be privileged to hunt down. Neat Surprises you know?

Two subjects come to mind: Who would be unlockable and how would they be unlocked. I'm much more interested in how the latter would pan out since I had such an awesome time with Melee's event matches.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
This this this. A million hundred thousand times this. That's kinda the type of conversation I wanted to strike up with these little entries I started doing in this thread (in retrospect, I could definitely worded my posts a bit differently to encourage it), but I have come to realize that no matter how bold the disclaimer that the ideas I post are for fun (not a "roster," per se), people will always come like logic sharks to the blood of my naivety. All I wanna do is have some fun. I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

I'll do it for him.

Many thanks, my good man. I couldn't help but notice the presence of everyone's favorite gentlemanly archaeologist in your signature. Here I was, thinking I'd be hard-pressed to find another Layton supporter. I absolutely love the series, and he'd be a stellar addition to the Smash Bros. cast.

yani_

Smash Ace
Anime music would be cool. Like the song in Pokemon that plays when there's a turning point of some sort. Don't know the name but hopefully yall know what I mean

:phone:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Anime music would be cool. Like the song in Pokemon that plays when there's a turning point of some sort. Don't know the name but hopefully yall know what I mean

:phone:
It's the metal version of the Pokemon Gym Theme. It's in the game already, but they decided to combine it with the Pokemon Evolution theme.(note that I predicted this :awesome: some time ago.)

It's found on Pokemon Stadium 2. Called Pokemon Gym/Evolution Theme.

Also, it can't because of licensing, although ones that are remakes of game themes and are in all versions of the Anime should be fine.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Revolution! :-P

Anyway, i like what Kuma is saying about meta-humour. I would love for that kind of thing to happen. Imagine if Layton became the new Meta Knight:

"This reminds me of a -"
"OH DEAR LORD NO!!!!!!"

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Revolution! :-P

Anyway, i like what Kuma is saying about meta-humour. I would love for that kind of thing to happen. Imagine if Layton became the new Meta Knight:

"This reminds me of a -"
"OH DEAR LORD NO!!!!!!"
I see you have spoken a pun. Let us see that it does not happen again.:glare:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
It would be almost foolish not to consider Level-5's interests in developing Layton's profile.

I'm most certainly intrigued by the idea of a puzzle like play style.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
It would be almost foolish not to consider Level-5's interests in developing Layton's profile.

As far as chances go, how do you figure Layton's doing? I mean, he's published by Nintendo in every region except Japan, and he's wildly popular all over the world. I don't quite know whether to consider him third party or not...

D

Deleted member

I would have to agree with CronoBound in that there's a reasonable chance that Genesect and Meloetta star in a movie together in summer, 2013. Note that Lucario's movie was the 3rd in the 3rd gen and Zoroark's the last in the 4th gen. There is also that Pokemon Heroes had the first major movie with a 3rd gen Pokemon playing a major role in it and it was before Advance Gen. Plus 2nd gen Pokemons were present in the 1st and 2nd movie. Heck, we even had a 4th gen Pokemon (Munchlax) during Pokemon Advance Generation.

So it's reasonable to say that the last movie of the 5th gen will have a 6th gen Pokemon play a major role in it with Meloetta and Genesect already revealed.

@GiantBreadbug: Your thoughts are very intriguing. I'll comment on your Pokemon selection:

The vets you choose to return I completely agree with. I would especially say that Mewtwo has a solid shot of returning and perhaps even (when looking at it individually) the most likely Pokemon to be in Smash.

I would love to see Genesect in Smash (only Victini is more wanted for me for the 5th gen) and looks to be the Mewtwo of SSB5. But as it stands, I don't see Genesect being a serious candidate and I only really see Victini or Zoroark getting in. However, it is worth nothing that Heracross was a popular suggestion for Melee so once Genesect is revealed, I do think he'll catch on quickly. Also, the only way he's getting a late 2012 reveal is if Meloetta and Genesect were to show up.

I like the idea and concept of duos for Smash and I did enjoy the Ice Climbers. Out of the two you'd suggest, I'd rather have the Pichu Bros. so that it technically brings back a cut Melee vet, but Plusle & Minun are good as well. Again, not likely, but not terrible either.

Not a big fan do Delibird at all. If in the microscopic chance a 2nd gen rep aside from Pichu (who's odds are already terrible) arises, Heracross is the best choice.

Buizel is a no-no all around. Lucario is the only really good choice we have.

If we're getting a Black trainer that doesn't include the starters (which would be cool), N could work. As for other suggestions, I think a team of Galvantula, Scrafty, and Minccino could work. They seem to be pretty popular this gen and it would be an interesting clash.

For your May idea... Can't really say I'm fond of it.

I would recommend adding Deoxys and Meowth to the list. Meowth was and STILL is highly popular and continues to air in the anime. Deoxys was highly requested for SSBB and a 3rd gen remake could easily revitalize support.

@KumaOso: Nice and I think those play styles would work out well. How do you think Ridley's play style would work out?
Shortiecanbrawl said:
Ewww, Generation six? How gross. I wonder IF the sixth generation has a poster child revealed in time, if its going to affect Mewtwo, and Zorotinisect?

I mean, who do we drop to include the sixth gen? Mewtwo?, Lucario?, Zorotinisect? Someone is going to be unhappy. It's a lose lose situation.
Makes you wonder if they EVER will run out of ideas or go on hiatus. If we get a 6th gen Pokemon, I doubt it'll affect Mewtwo or Lucario, but we will lose a 5th gen Pokemon.
Yani said:
Gamefaqs goes ape**** for Waluigi for some reason.
I will be one unhappy camper if he scores above Victini/other more worthy Mario reps.
Yani said:
@Shortie I just read your thread on Ns2. I can't stop laughing at what that guy says. 99.9% positive he's a troll. I mean... Scrooge McDuck?

The Ns2 Smash forums is infested with loads of trolls who think they're cool because "they have a reputation". Go figure.
- And he thinks he's more likely then Mega Man. *gag*

- I'm thinking it's better then GameFAQs, because we haven't seen one of those yet.
GoldenYuitisuin said:
We may not be on the topic of music right now, but does anyone support the usage of Nintendo anime music for Smash?

For example, the infamous "Meaning of Truth" from F-Zero GP Legend, or the original Pokemon theme we grew up with?
I do, but it isn't happening.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
If what people are saying around here is true, Level-5 is considered a third party, but that doesn't hinder any traits of success that Professor Layton has introduced to Nintendo's DS lineup.

If you're asking me, I say that if Level-5 is making a consistent effort to work diligently alongside Smash's development scene, otherwise stated being an asset not a hindrance to development, Layton's regard would be pretty high. They're making an effort to show interest already, so only time will tell.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939

http://gonintendo.com/?p=103521

"Do you think Hershel or Luke would make good special guest characters in something like a new Mario Kart or Smash Bros.? "

"That would certainly be a wonderful opportunity! "

Although he could have been referring to the Mario Kart part instead of the Smash.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
http://gonintendo.com/?p=103521

"Do you think Hershel or Luke would make good special guest characters in something like a new Mario Kart or Smash Bros.? "

"That would certainly be a wonderful opportunity! "

Although he could have been referring to the Mario Kart part instead of the Smash.
I nearly fainted. I don't think I can overstate how much I love that series, so any tiny bit of hope I can hold on to that Hershel will show up, I'm-a holdin'.

If what people are saying around here is true, Level-5 is considered a third party, but that doesn't hinder any traits of success that Professor Layton has introduced to Nintendo's DS lineup.

If you're asking me, I say that if Level-5 is making a noteworthy effort to work diligently alongside Smash's development scene, otherwise stated being an asset not a hindrance to development, Layton's regard would be pretty high. They're making an effort to show interest already, so only time will tell.
Ah, time. Its secrets escape me once again. I'll just be waiting for the day the Dojo has Layton's mug posted on the first page, then I'll commence flipping out. Speaking of which, when does anyone/everyone expect the Dojo to get back up and running? I know the team's probably in pre-development right now (or perhaps not even that), so I hope the thing is running by the end of 2012/early 2013. The Dojo is like cocaine to a Smash Bros. fan.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I would love it if Sm4sh's musical score were to be as dynamic (by the main thesis of orchestration) this soundtrack

I might change my Brawl intro theme to that track.

Speaking of which, when does anyone/everyone expect the Dojo to get back up and running
I'd actually prefer not to have anything like that to reference. It's like the new sub series of Avatar (Last Airbender). I don't want any details over its development so as to appreciate the chapter for what it is.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I would love it if Sm4sh's musical score were to be as dynamic (by the main thesis of orchestration) this soundtrack

I might change my Brawl intro theme to that track.

I'd actually prefer not to have anything like that to reference. It's like the new sub series of Avatar (Last Airbender). I don't want any details over its development so as to appreciate the chapter for what it is.
It's tough, y'know? I completely spoiled myself on Brawl through the Dojo (save for the Subspace Emissary business), and I still enjoyed the game. Mind you, I am fully aware that I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if I'd gone in blind. I'm torn this time: On one hand, there's an experience that I can't quite describe that I had while I followed the Dojo, day in and day out. It was like I was connected to the development process (quite a stretch, I know) in some way. On the other, I know I should just hold back this time. Damn, that site pumped me up for that game more than any other video game ever.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
It's tough, y'know? I completely spoiled myself on Brawl through the Dojo (save for the Subspace Emissary business), and I still enjoyed the game. Mind you, I am fully aware that I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if I'd gone in blind. I'm torn this time: On one hand, there's an experience that I can't quite describe that I had while I followed the Dojo, day in and day out. It was like I was connected to the development process (quite a stretch, I know) in some way. On the other, I know I should just hold back this time. Damn, that site pumped me up for that game more than any other video game ever.
The wait was better than the game. Anyone who sit at their computer every night waiting for the updates will agree.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
GiantBreadbug said:
Damn, that site pumped me up for that game more than any other video game ever.
Boy do I understand what you're coming from. I really gave the answer that I did based on my own understanding of myself. I can easily get really emphatic over something and the next minute I despair over its ill befitted options for my favor.

Lately I've been working on registering exactly what my time and energy (not just in a cliche phrase way) actually mean to my profile as a gamer. As I was trying to express to Starphoenix, is that it is he who beholds that understands where his interest lies. If that's way too cryptic, I'll explain that my experience with smash brothers has really been based on my imprinted desires. I can't have all the music, all the settings, all the depth that I want based on another's development interests. I have to work with what it gives me and appreciate/innovate that material.

With all that said, I don't think I've participated to the extent I do with this speculation with any other game besides maybe Halo. Even then, I've had to keep an open mind to its material.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Boy do I understand what you're coming from. I really gave the answer that I did based on my own understanding of myself. I can easily get really emphatic over something and the next minute I despair over its ill befitted options for my favor.

Lately I've been working on registering exactly what my time and energy (not just in a cliche phrase way) actually mean to my profile as a gamer. As I was trying to express to Starphoenix, is that it is he who beholds that understands where his interest lies. If that's way too cryptic, I'll explain that my experience with smash brothers has really been based on my imprinted desires. I can't have all the music, all the settings, all the depth that I want based on another's development interests. I have to work with what it gives me and appreciate/innovate that material.

With all that said, I don't think I've participated to the extent I do with this speculation with any other game besides maybe Halo. Even then, I've had to keep an open mind to its material.
I absolutely understand. When I was waiting for Brawl, I was sure that one day, I would fire up smashbros.com and find a character introduction for an Animal Crossing character. With each passing day I drew closer and closer to the realization that the game was being developed according to the team's ideas and execution, and there was nothing that I could do to change what was going into it (as you have pointed out). I had a vision for it, but my vision was baseless; it had no way of being fulfilled. That's kind of when I just sat back and let everything that was revealed be interpreted as a blessing (the whole "be thankful for what you've got" jazz). It's kind of silly that I've come to the point that I use the word "blessing" when describing a video game, but Smash Bros. has become more than just that launch day, first playthrough feeling; it's become a ride that I take every so often, and I track how my expectations line up with the development process. There are ups and downs, disappointments and moments of sheer bliss (for me when Oilmar was revealed), but that's what makes the wait as substantial as the finished product for me. But maybe I'm just silly.

At any rate, I'm excited that Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS is even happening. I think it's neat how just mentioning its name at E3 this year incited the reaction that it did from the audience.

D

Deleted member

I didn't know that there were speculation communities outside of fighting games.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
GiantBreadbug said:
I think it's neat how just mentioning its name at E3 this year incited the reaction that it did from the audience.
Convinced me to return to this site, I'll say it once more: aiming for insight.

I know I wouldn't consider your train of thought silly. Its understandable overall.
_

FanMan, if you're referring to my comment, there's a little game called Call of Duty that had folks going rather buck wild in its primetime. You'd be surprised at what folks are talkin about.

With each passing day I drew closer and closer to the realization that the game was being developed according to the team's ideas and execution, and there was nothing that I could do to change what was going into it
Actually, I think the FanMan might have some words over that piece of text.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I just heard that Sakurai would, ideally, like to take five years on SSB4. That, coupled with his sort of "promise" to focus on balancing better, I think he really wants his aim to be making up for the dreadful flaws balance wise Brawl had. OR, he wants five years to make a depthy story mode, and said the whole thing about trying to make this game more balanced than brawl as complete lipservice.

Which, I hope the former is true.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I just heard that Sakurai would, ideally, like to take five years on SSB4. That, coupled with his sort of "promise" to focus on balancing better, I think he really wants his aim to be making up for the dreadful flaws balance wise Brawl had. OR, he wants five years to make a depthy story mode, and said the whole thing about trying to make this game more balanced than brawl as complete lipservice.

Which, I hope the former is true.
Actually, he said that in response something Iwata said in an interview. When asked if he would only work on one game if he had difficulties he responded that he wouldn't give up on the 2 game promise. If he had to, he would use a small team and take 5 years to make both. The actual production time should ideally only be 2-3 years.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh really? Well I hope that at the very least, he's allowed to delay as much as he needs like he did with KI, of course... this is Smash... so I doubt it. I kind of feel like he wanted to do a lot more with Brawl, but couldn't because of time contraints.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I came across this while searching for Layton stuff.

It's for all those who say he can't fight.
Layton for smash? More like gayton for smash.

There are terrible things on google. Layton and Ghirahim have a lot to live down.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The woman in the background not paying attention to her friend talking to her DUE TO MUSCLAYTON makes it even better.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
All jokes aside, that Layton hat that dude has is really well done. I'm impressed. I'd like to see the rest of his costume, but the chump felt the need to show off muscles for some gnarly chick? WTF bro. A true gentleman would NEVER do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom