• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly never hated the Miis.

But unless we're going to customize characters in an appropriate shape like the Polygons, I don't see why they're a bad choice overall. They're clearly known enough, and are playable in a ton of games anyway.

Also, there's no word in what the customizable content is, but if it's a character creator, they need to choose something easy to work with. Also, having Custom Miis anyway does the job fine.

It's fun to have battles with odd-looking characters anyway.

I do agree that the Wii U needs to improve our options for the physical appearances of them, though.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Did Toise post a picture of... Serious Geese?!
stay out of Massachusetts

When you select the Mii icon, you would then browse through them and pick the face you want, right?

This is dumb, and think about it and imagine yourself playing this game until you see why.
As a dude who plays a lot of Mario Kart and Wii Sports with his family, I can safely call this a non-issue. It's actually less of a hassle than custom names in Melee/Brawl.

It lost it's appeal when I was given the choice to use Maria. She's so cheap. Who was that girl with the wolf based attacks/design/whatever you posted about?
Okay, options:

1. Play as Richter (who the game is designed around) and endure the challenge
2. Buy Portrait of Ruin (featuring these four) or Order of Ecclesia (featuring Shanoa, the girl you're asking about) for the DS and enjoy Metroidvania
3. Ask for more hockey-related pictures (or google a naked Ryan Kesler yourself)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I still see a big problem with the Miis is their having to overcome their graphical style. If the system in place simply copypastas the Wii's model of them, then that just won't work. Sm4sh would have to have some kind of Mii generator of it's own to update the style. I GUESS? I'm really not sure.

This assumes the Wii U would keep the same style of Miis.
Just make the Mii's edges more realistic looking, and make them in the game to where they reflect the lighting and shade accurately. That doesn't sound too hard to do. Just change some things with their art style like with Kirby, Pokémon, Mario characters, and Toon Link to make them more realistic, and to allow them to look like they "fit" in smash bros.

The Miis on the Wii U will probably have a few changes, though (hopefully for the better).

I agree with Kantrip. Look what happened with Pokemon trainer when we let fishbirdplant interbeeding? :troll:
Well we already got an electric rodent with electric capabilities, a puffball that want to be the next Mariah Carey, plumbers who can spawn fireballs, a turtle who got hros and became a demon, a beautiful princess who transform into an ugly man, a hedgehog who can run at the speed of "WOAW!", a gorilla that has a monkey as a father and uncle, a penguin in robes who thinks he's a king, a monkey with jet pack and guns made out of... wood (?), a man who looks like Clint Eastwood's grandfather despite being under the age of 40, an angel who apparently is also fallen (given the fact Pit tried coming onto me), a small 10 inch creature that can become other beings by... eating them (?), a princess who can do a full season's garden cycle in a second, a fat stanky old man who fights by... farting (?), a dinosaur who is a dragon, a All-American boy who went all his childhood without realizing he was a psychic, a blonde timid boy who can destroy the world with the pulling of a needle, a lone beast who talks with his... mind (?), a genetic humanoid creation who want to destroy the world, and a man with nipples the size of Venus.

With all that wackiness and crazy characters, so what if boys have slave creatures=???

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'll do choice one. Maybe choice two since ACTUALLY LIKE the series. (The last game you mentioned)

Toise, do you think Tails..barf.., Bomberman and Simon have a chance at becoming playable? Or do you think it's sort of Konmai and SEGA are a done deal, and if Sonic/Snake return, they will do so alone? Also, thanks for getting my hopes up with those pics, JERK.

Oasis, you aren't allowed to trick me like that. SO RUDE.

JOHN shh. I don't like parts of PT, gtfover it~

Also, I don't think I would like the mii's too look REALISTIC. It would be weird...I think.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been thinking that implementing a Mii that you can customize is unlikely.

Would people be really disappointed if there was just the default Mii (the one that is shown when you create a new Mii from scratch)? I'm not really sure if I would be or not. The "Wii" games series is very popular and deserves representation, and it's not as if it goes without moveset potential.

Just these two costumes (like Wario) with different pallete swaps and identical movesets/animations.

Why would it be unlikely for a custom Mii? If they add it to the game it'll most likely be like any other game with a mii

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Shorts: Probably not for any of them. Sega might ask because Sega. Konami doesn't care about Bomberman at all, and Castlevania's in a weird transition period right now. I'm not getting into whether Sakurai's cool with more Sonic or Konami but obviously 3rd party content isn't something to be added liberally. And I'd expect them to just reuse Snake and Sonic, but that's just me.

Also I personally like Portrait of Ruin better because it's more lighthearted. Jonathan and Charlotte are great, Shanoa's too gloomy. And I'm a sucker for twins.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
stay out of Massachusetts
Butbut Kuma calls you serious and I say silly goose a lot andand... Oh well.

@John: I don't think you're seeing the problem. We've only ever seen copypasta'd models of the Mii heads in games. Their style would stick out like a necrotic thumb against Smash's style. The issue is if it's possible to get the Wii (U)'s model to transition into a model that reflects Smash's style better. I just don't know the technicalities involved with that. ALSO, it's fun to imagine what the body would be. There's not really an issue there. I was thinking a fighter's gi with CONSERVATIVE SKIN COVERAGE would work nicely for both males and females, so there's not an issue with palette swaps. The back could have the Smash symbol on it. :awesome:

There's also the possibility that I'm thinking way too much over it.

@Shorts: Why would you even want to look at balls in the first place.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sure Miis would work pretty alright if you could customize, but tell me: How would it work.

Oh I know, you would go through a list of them like you do in Wii Sports and the like, or maybe view the ones stored on your controller. The fact is, you would have tons stored on your Wii U, most likely. When you select the Mii icon, you would then browse through them and pick the face you want, right?

This is dumb, and think about it and imagine yourself playing this game until you see why. If you insist: No, because you'd only store one! Then I ask you: How are you doing it on multiplayer? Oh, you're not, you say? Huh.

I just don't see it happening.
Have you ever played Mario Kart Wii? It'd work like that. You can have your Mii selected in multiplayer in that no problem

I'm confused what's the problem here

Kantrip

Kantplay
Have you ever played Mario Kart Wii? It'd work like that. You can have your Mii selected in multiplayer in that no problem

I'm confused what's the problem here
Alright. You set your mii to your profile.

You select your mii. Player 2 wants to be their mii. They select mii. They end up as your mii.

:glare:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Alright. You set your mii to your profile.

You select your mii. Player 2 wants to be their mii. They select mii. They end up as your mii.

:glare:
Why aren't they selecting their profile?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh Sega, stop being yourself. I'm more into the doom and gloom, so I dunno. I'll check them both out. Is PoR for the DS?

Another rumor popping up.

I think everyone is being taken for a ride with this whole Mii discussion. Don't overthink an easy concept...

Oasis, I could ask the same thing about wanting to hop in Tea cups. HMMM?

Kantrip

Kantplay
I just don't see them adding a feature in options called "Mii Select" for each name created.

A good idea? In theory sure.
Practically, no.
Feasible? No.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just don't see them adding a feature in options called "Mii Select" for each name created.

A good idea? In theory sure.
Practically, no.
Feasible? No.
I don't see how any of these suggested ways of adding Mii's aren't feasible

Each name is basically a profile as it is, they could just expand from there to display more information, including selected Mii for the player.

Mario Kart Wii stores Mii data per player even if they never use the mii. It's not like it's resource heavy

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, don't make the Wii look graphically like everyone else. Instead, render them to have lighting that makes them fit in. They can kind of blob-ish graphically as long as their lighting and rendering looks normal.

Kantrip

Kantplay
It's not about the resources.

It's about having one character that requires complex options to play properly. I just don't see it in smash.

Only Sakurai knows what goes on in his head, though.

We'll see if he proves me wrong or not.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Even my super mario land 3D stores which Mii I use and it doesn't even display a mii anytime in the game

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's not about the resources.

It's about having one character that requires complex options to play properly. I just don't see it in smash.

Only Sakurai knows what goes on in his head, though.

We'll see if he proves me wrong or not.
If the character is so complex graphically, why did it fit in Mario Kart Wii=??? (which has about the same graphics, and no lame cut out characters like Brawl does) Plus most 3DS games use a Mii function. Making customizable Miis is about as hard to make as the name feature in smash (which by the way needs to have up to 10 characters!).

Still, you are kind of right. Only Sakurai (and the future Smash Bros. Development Team) will know who they will choose in smash bros Wii U and 3DS. Of course, they will begin this process several months from now, and even then they won't be finished picking characters! Even if they choose those characters, they could be dropped later! :laugh:

*prepares to destroy Sakurai's Twitter with Smash Wii U and 3DS character suggestions*
*Prepares to go off the rails on the Ridley Train (an epic guitar solo here) going off the rails on a Ridley Train*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Who do you guys think are the most likely newcomers to be unveiled at a possible E3 2012 trailer?

My guesses are:
Ridley or K. Rool
Palutena or Medusa
Mega Man
One characters the practically no one requested (see Ice Climbers and Zero Suit Samus)
Hmm... I'd say the following:

- Toad (popular classic Nintendo All Star)
- Palutena (female, sex appeal)
- Little Mac (WTF for Japanese audience, retro appeal for Western audience)
- Takamaru (WTF for Western audience, retro appeal for Japanese audience)
- Mega Man (popular third party character)

I feel Ridley, King K. Rool, Medusa, and most villains except big name villains like Bowser, Wario, and Sakurai's creation King Dedede are probably better suited as unlockable characters.

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sex appeal. You should feel embarrassed.

...I bet Miis would be revealed in the trailer. If they're in. That really just seems like a feature you'd want to advertise for something like this. I've been thinking Takamaru would be unlockable. I know he's been getting remakes and stuff, but he's still kind of obscure there, yeah? Despite his popularity? OH WELL, if he's revealed in the trailer that'd be fine by me, lol.

How does Isaac sound as trailer material?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No shame in enjoying a sexy human female... unlike a "sexy" fox in a loincloth. :awesome:

Isaac or Matthew (don't care which one) don't seem like trailer material because Golden Sun isn't exactly a big name franchise. Punch-Out may not be a big name franchise but more people recognize Little Mac than any Golden Sun protagonists, know what I'm saying?

It's something I've noticed in the Brawl Dojo. Ike, Lucas, and Olimar were revealed on the Dojo and they aren't exactly big names. Sure, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, and King Dedede are big names... it's just that Wario and Snake are bigger names while Pit have retro appeal and Zero Suit Samus have sex appeal and Meta Knight got Sakurai's bias (it was either him or King Dedede).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
IT'S LIKE, I'M SURE YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT ABOUT SEX APPEAL, being marketable or what have you since that's just the WAY THINGS ARE, but still. Just saying it like it's a factor. Embarrassing. Now I'm embarrassed.

Anyway, for Isaac, I figured maybe he would be interesting to show off from the moveset angle. "These are the kinds of interesting characters you have to look forward to." Maybe? I dunno. Probably not.

You could say Tingle would be trailer material since everybody knows him, but wishes they didn't. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And that's why Tingle is better suited as an unlockable character if he is playable. :troll: That way, SSB4 doesn't have to tell the world that Tingle is playable.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno, If I was Sakurai it would be pretty hard to resist updating the Dojo with Tingle's silly face, laughing all the while knowing all the Johnknights in the world will be raging.

I do think he would make a good starter, actually.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You're right... Tingle can be the starter troll and Duck Hunt Dog can be the unlockable troll. Go Team Troll! :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Outside of Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

3rd Party characters will be the most heated of character debate topics.
I would have to disagree. SSBF has already pointed this out but I will say it again. Right now with Fire Emblem, the only two logical contenders for a third Fire Emblem spot are Roy and Chrome. Perhaps throw in the debate as to whether or not Ike will be cut also into the Fire Emblem mix.

The only two series that which I can see there being a heated debate are Mario (between the Toad, Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., and possibly even Geno fanbases) and Pokemon (of which there are many, many different things that will be debated).

Kid Icarus might also have a heated rivalry if Palutena or Medusa are not unveiled at E3 2012 as playable characters for Smash 4.

Other than that, I don't see much debate in regards to third-party spots. The only third-party character whom has mass support is Mega Man. Every other possible third-party newcomers seems to have more detractors than supporters.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Basing off what I've seen in this thread the biggest debates are.

Pokemon
Fire Emblem
3rd Party (usually more hate than support)
Mario (just started up again, it kind of faded away)

I can see the others getting pretty hot too though if certain things are still left vague and up in the air.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It wasn't so much a debate as it was one guy saying Waluigi wasn't completely dumb and everyone else was sighing and shaking their head.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Like a ninja, I appear.

List of most debatable game reps (in my opinion):

1. Pokemon <--(Duh)
2. 3rd Parties
3. Mario
4. Zelda series <--(Was for a little while, but I think it's gone, now.)
5. DK Series
6. Fire Emblem

And with that, I'm off to go headshot an Elite. (Halo: Reach)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would have to disagree. SSBF has already pointed this out but I will say it again. Right now with Fire Emblem, the only two logical contenders for a third Fire Emblem spot are Roy and Chrome. Perhaps throw in the debate as to whether or not Ike will be cut also into the Fire Emblem mix.
I was about ready to say... "Don't we really only have two choices?" You beat me to it.

Caeda ftw.

The only two series that which I can see there being a heated debate are Mario (between the Toad, Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., and possibly even Geno fanbases) and Pokemon (of which there are many, many different things that will be debated).
THESE TWO, are where the future debates lie, for sure. I can see universal rosters being debated ONCE MORE, unless Sakurai nips that in the bud early on this summer.

Kid Icarus might also have a heated rivalry if Palutena or Medusa are not unveiled at E3 2012 as playable characters for Smash 4.
I don't see that being big deal really. Meh. Maybe it's just because I don't care about them. I see sides being taken, and both having valid points.. I mean what is there to debate? They're both important. NO WAY, PEACH BEFORE BOWSER is the kind of silly I can see happening. I mean, we don't have Dixie vs. K Rool debates do we? (I have no idea who to side with)

Other than that, I don't see much debate in regards to third-party spots. The only third-party character whom has mass support is Mega Man. Every other possible third-party newcomers seems to have more detractors than supporters.
I hope to meet people who dislike Megaman fanboys as much as me, someday.

KRYSTAL IS DAH MOSS UMPORTANT CARACKTER LEFT FOUR SMASH FOR.

Speaking of her, I'm thinking she'll take a less controversial/flamey road this time around, seeing as she's the only SF choice left. There isn't much to say besides "IONTLIEK HER! SHE LEIK IS GROWS AND RUINED STARFOX. THANKS RARE." Which is silly to say, seeing as it matters not~

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Universal rosters: Oh please no.

@Krystal: We could always have Peppy and Slippy show up as a sort of Ice Climber duo. IN SPAAAACE.

Maybe Leon since Leon is to Wolf as Falco is to Fox. :awesome: Oh, and Panther. He was so broken in Command.

Honestly, I don't care about the whole universal roster thing. As long as the Wii U roster is good, I don't give a ****

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Heated debates?

1. Mario
2. Pokemon
3. 3rd Party
4. FE

KI may become like this, at least until I put my nerd glasses on... :cool:

It goes like this for me:

1.) Pokemon
2.) 3rd Party
3.) FE
4.) Mario

Luckily, I don't care about the other 3 debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom