• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I can't picture a flash kick going in any other direction but upward. You might as well have a diving in attack.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ I can picture a bird like Falco doing anything. I do think it would be funny/awesome/cool if his up B was something like a sky soaring (upward) spin move that sucked in foes, though. It could be something like Sonic's up B, minus the spring launching him.

Also, I do gotta say that Bowser Jr.'s chances of being a clone compared to Paper Mario are hard to compare. I think it's about even that both could be clones quite honestly. However, I think there is a low chance that either will be clones.. Regardless, I gotta say that Bowser Jr. definitely should have some characteristics of Bowser regardless, while still being unique, of course.

I should add that I would prefer a semi-clone Bowser Jr. or a clone Bowser. Jr to a semi-clone or clone Paper Mario. I think it would just "work better" with Bowser Jr. like that than Paper Mario. I have a much harder time picturing a "fun" and "unique" clone or semi-clone Paper Mario compared to Bowser Jr.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
In terms of clones/semi clones I think Junior and Toad would be more interesting than PMario, because Paper Mario IS Mario, it's all the more "reason" to make him similar to Mario. At least we can see propeller Up B instead of the Mario Jump, and Maybe Iceballs. Junior could be a complete clone and still be interesting because of sheer size/speed/weight differences to his pop. Who knows, maybe he could actually be a GOOD Bowser? Although I definitely think he would have unique aspects. Fireballs > Fire Breathe references to paintbrushes, his siblings, and Clown Car.

Really, clones or not, I generally prefer Junior and Toad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, Bowser Jr. IS Bowser's son, and is often confused with Baby Bowser, so him being a clone doesn't even bother me that much.

Paper Mario doesn't even generally have the same moves as regular Mario as is. He starts with a Hammer as is. That's quite a difference.

Note that Young/Toon Link has had just about all the same weapons and abilities as Link, so them being a clone bothers me somewhat, but not to a ridiculous point.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Paper Mario doesn't even generally have the same moves as regular Mario as is. He starts with a Hammer as is. That's quite a difference.

Note that Young/Toon Link has had just about all the same weapons and abilities as Link, so them being a clone bothers me somewhat, but not to a ridiculous point.
Note that Young and Toon Link could have EASILY not been clones, which is why I bring them up. Just like Paper Mario. Enough with the freaking hammer. Just enough with this boosha topic.

Paper Mario is Mario. That's why he is clone material. Denying he is clone material makes you look real dumb.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yarn Kirby is Kirby, but I would argue to say if he was ever included (he won't be, but still) that he would be luigified at WORST. Most likely unique.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wait... What's the argument about here? I don't think i should get involved, just in case i completely mis-understand the topic (like i've done once or twice in the past!) :-P

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Note that Young and Toon Link could have EASILY not been clones, which is why I bring them up. Just like Paper Mario. Enough with the freaking hammer. Just enough with this boosha topic.

Paper Mario is Mario. That's why he is clone material. Denying he is clone material makes you look real dumb.
Toon Link is still Link. Dr. Mario is still Mario. :glare:

Besides, with Paper Mario, you could make a moveset from the partners in his games, along with the Hammer.

:phone:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Toon Link is a different person. Poppy, do your research. TL is like all the other Links, but there is only one true Link, which originates from the very 1st game, Legend of Zelda. All others are from different time periods, and they even state that in-game.

Realistically, Paper Mario would have some differences from Mario in comparison to movesets, but not much. Maybe the Hammer will be thrown in, or maybe a new FS. I doubt he'd get in, but I can't say that yet. The 3DS Paper Mario isn't out yet (?), so I'd w8 and see how that goes.

Thanks to SSBF, I will now be starting my essay. I now know what to write and say, which is good. This essay is hopefully going to be done after Vetrans Day. Once again, thank you, SSBF.

Another thing. The only game that had two of the same Links is OoT. Fact.

Note please that "Formes" are just clones of the characters in different body appearences. Here's some of them:
Toy Pikachu/Raichu/Pikachu
Paper Mario/Toy Mario/Jumperman/Dr.Mario/Mr.Nintendo/Mario
Toon Link/Young Link/Link

Just some examples. Pikachu evolves into Raichu. So therefore, it's still Pikachu, but stronger and older, in the sense. You can say the same with Link and Mario too.

Victini said:
Ah, yes. An essay about me. Now that's a good homework assignment!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I thought Young Link was the younger form of Adult Link while Toon Link was in a separate timeline...
He is, but regardless, he's still Link.
@Asage: I know they're all from different times. I know that. But even though they ARE from different times, they are known as Link, and they are all chosen by the gods to fulfill a perilous quest. Even Toon Link.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@Poppy So therefore, they are different people. Which is what I'm getting at. I mean, they are known as Link, but in game, you can name them whatever you like, such as, "Bryan" or "Joe". Which makes sense towards what I'm saying.

Link is Link. This is true, but it is also false.

Anyways, anyone have news of information I'd be interested in?

Victini said:
Last time I checked, Link isn't Immortal. Maybe the soul, but not the person.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So, I'm getting back into my Adventure mode ideas, along with Movesets. My next movesets I'm doing are:
Jolteon (Micheal's Eevee PKMN)
Lucario (Remixed Moveset)
Custom Character Creation (Gyro the Drobred, part of my comic series)

As for Adventure Mode...

Micheal and Red
Victini and Mario/Sonic (Undecided)
Custom Character Adventure Mode (Very big, won't be presented for awhile)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We don't know if it can have up to 2 yet. I wasn't counting the Wii U controller as an indefinite point because of this.

Albeit, sure, it might be one per system, which means it won't be viable for tourneys.
I don't think people would even want to bring that thing to tourneys, unless they just got into smash and that's all they've learned to play with.
In cases like that, you just have to experiment with each control scheme to find the one that works best for you.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I thought Sakurai didn't approve of not having a GCC type controller.

IIRC, in one of his articles, he held up a GCC and said something along the lines of "This is what Smash is meant to be played with"

DON'T QUOTE ME ON IT UNLESS SOMEONE CAN FIND THAT ARTICLE THOUGH

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Either way... it's not his decision if Nintendo makes it GC Controller compatible or not.

@MASG: Any new player would most likely try out the Tablet first, and possibly prefer it.

Likewise, the less spent on batteries and more on food/gas, the better. Economy's pretty tight as is. That's why a lot of people do bring GC Controllers if they have them. It's also fairly easy to practice with them.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
As one of their biggest money bringing games I would think they would make some type of way to play the optimally. E

It's k though, I believe in Nintendo (and then if not them some 3rd Party Controller Maker). Or the smash community seeing how we've gotten PS2 controller in on Smash too. LOL

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, you could only do that with SSB on the Computer using the controller, or the really awkward-to-use GameCube to PS2 converter.

Also, Nintendo took the GameCube slots out of the latest Wii Model. I'd say the chances of using GCN Controllers on the Wii U are pretty darn low.

But hey, more money for them.(seriously, just let us use two Tablets by default. Whether or not we can buy them seperately, it sure as hell would make tourneygoers happy, you know, people who love to play on their system too) In other words, time to give core gamers some love too. Too much love for the casuals with their decisions, not even for the other gamers.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I was thinking... What if moves that are opposite of eyesight have a different control?

Example: Eyesight is >. Use (B)< and you do a different move. Same with (A) moves.

I think it could work well. I'm going to add a move towards Victini's moveset, but before I do, what do you guys think?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Paper Mario has the least chance of being a clone compared to all of the Mario characters. His frame alone would prevent him from doing half of what Mario does. Anybody who believes otherwise is either ignorant of that fact or are biased in their evaluation. It is as simple as that. Later.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Paper Mario has the least chance of being a clone compared to all of the Mario characters. His frame alone would prevent him from doing half of what Mario does. Anybody who believes otherwise is either ignorant of that fact or are biased in their evaluation. It is as simple as that. Later.
Well, you could say the same about TL and Link... I believe, however, that some differences would be automatic, but not much. Maybe (B) move differences, except (B)^. His FS might be different too. But knowing SSB, this would be a seeable clone, like Falco and Fox.

Victini said:
If this is ignorant, then learn how to read. Just getting that outta the way.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
This.
Paper Mario has no fire, cape, or obviously FLUDD. Even Up Special could be Parakarry or Carrie.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As one of their biggest money bringing games I would think they would make some type of way to play the optimally. E

It's k though, I believe in Nintendo (and then if not them some 3rd Party Controller Maker). Or the smash community seeing how we've gotten PS2 controller in on Smash too. LOL
Don't be surprised if we start using USB controllers. There are like four slots on the current WiiU model. It's definitely a possibility.

And Iblis, I don't know if you missed this, but what do you think of this Fox combo I made up a while back. It's under the assumption that only certain moves DI and that attacks can chain into each other and special and jump canceling are available.

FTilt > DTilt > if opponent DIs forward > Special Cancel into Shine > DACUS > If Opponent DIs to behind you > Jump Cancel into Bair > Jump Cancel > DAir > Okizeme followup.

And then one for Krystal which is somewhat more technical to do.
AAA > UTilt > Jump Cancel > NAir > Fast-fall> Dash > AA > FTilt* > DSmash > Special Cancel > Far Quake if opponent tech rolls away from you > Jump Cancel > FAir > Jump Cancel > FAir

*Requires specific timing so the DSmash will connect.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Don't be surprised if we start using USB controllers. There are like four slots on the current WiiU model. It's definitely a possibility.

And Iblis, I don't know if you missed this, but what do you think of this Fox combo I made up a while back. It's under the assumption that only certain moves DI and that attacks can chain into each other and special and jump canceling are available.

FTilt > DTilt > if opponent DIs forward > Special Cancel into Shine > DACUS > If Opponent DIs to behind you > Jump Cancel into Bair > Jump Cancel > DAir > Okizeme followup.

AAA > UTilt > Jump Cancel > NAir > Fast-fall> Dash > AA > FTilt* > DSmash > Special Cancel > Far Quake if opponent tech rolls away from you > Jump Cancel > FAir > Jump Cancel > Aerial depending on DI direction.

It sounds too much like Xbox 360's Wired Controllers. They use USB connectors, too. If they do, I'll have to call them on it...

Victini said:
Which means nothing.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Is that a bad thing? At least now they don't have to create additional ports and make the machine needlessly bigger.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That reminded me though of how I wanna try out Smash on an arcade stick. Aside from the C-Stick (which can easily be removed from Smash), the only issue present is that the stick isn't analog, but how many competitive players use anything but normal walk and run?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

AAA > UTilt > Jump Cancel > NAir > Fast-fall> Dash > AA > FTilt* > DSmash > Special Cancel > Far Quake if opponent tech rolls away from you > Jump Cancel > FAir > Jump Cancel > FAir

Hahaha, I like these

It sounds too much like Xbox 360's Wired Controllers. They use USB connectors, too. If they do, I'll have to call them on it...
I don't see how having wired controllers is a problem at all. Wireless in a tourney setting is the problem >.>

That reminded me though of how I wanna try out Smash on an arcade stick. Aside from the C-Stick (which can easily be removed from Smash), the only issue present is that the stick isn't analog, but how many competitive players use anything but normal walk and run?
I want to keep the Cstick feature though :(

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, you could say the same about TL and Link... I believe, however, that some differences would be automatic, but not much. Maybe (B) move differences, except (B)^. His FS might be different too. But knowing SSB, this would be a seeable clone, like Falco and Fox.
No, you couldn't. There is a big difference between comparing the two Links to the two Marios. It has nothing to do with moves or utilities, but the very nature of Paper Mario's frame and, hypothetical, model.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I want to keep the Cstick feature though :(
I always felt it was an execution handicap except for the case of using BAir while going forward or FAir while jumping away. I was able to do DACUS with Lucas from Day 1 with no problems.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
No, you couldn't. There is a big difference between comparing the two Links to the two Marios. It has nothing to do with moves or utilities, but the very nature of Paper Mario's frame and, hypothetical, model.
Umm.. that's what I'm saying. Toon Link's frame is different from Link's. He's toonish, while Link is more realistic. I think u mean Dimensions... Like 3D and 2D, which is always a factor, which I believe I was agreeing too.
Either way, I'm w8in til paper mario 3d to come out til I agree with his appearence.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I always felt it was an execution handicap except for the case of using BAir while going forward or FAir while jumping away. I was able to do DACUS with Lucas from Day 1 with no problems.
It saves you accidental charging frames of smashes too.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
If competitive players need to learn how to use a new controller, they will, if they're dedicated to playing competitively, I suppose. If not, they'll whine about their being no GC controllers, and that's gunna solve all of life's problems T_T
If the Classic Controller returns, then use that. Tinker with it's controls in the Options menu.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
If competitive players need to learn how to use a new controller, they will, if they're dedicated to playing competitively, I suppose. If not, they'll whine about their being no GC controllers, and that's gunna solve all of life's problems T_T
If the Classic Controller returns, then use that. Tinker with it's controls in the Options menu.
And people wonder why sometimes competitive players talk down on casuals...

Anyways, no. Do your homework before you even make posts like these again. There are plenty of successful non GCC players in the competitive community one of them happens to live in my area too.

Razer for example, a top 5 Snake, he uses Wiimote+Nunchuck.

I know others that use Classic.

I know others (these are the least successful) who use solo Wiimote.

Voicing our concerns is far from whining. If you define that as whining, this whole thread is full of whining because of people's speculations. An extreme example if I really have to drive this point home is. Your precious essay. It's not some informative reasons on why Victini should be in Smash, it's a wall of whining about getting your character you are most bias to about getting into Smash.

Furthermore, looking at the USB ports, there is a chance of there being a wired controller.

We just want a wired controller. Not a GCC, a wired controller. Wired Controller.

Change is not a problem. Wireless interferences are.

Feels like summertime again.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Umm.. that's what I'm saying. Toon Link's frame is different from Link's. He's toonish, while Link is more realistic. I think u mean Dimensions... Like 3D and 2D, which is always a factor, which I believe I was agreeing too.
Either way, I'm w8in til paper mario 3d to come out til I agree with his appearence.
Correct, I am referring to dimensions. What you are describing with Link and Toon Link is artstyle. Even though Toon Link is smaller he has the same human frame as Link. Paper Mario is not only limited to a 2D plane his body is also stubbier than Mario's body.

Speaking of Paper Mario, I am not very impressed with Super Mario 3D Land. I feel like Super Paper Mario already did the 3rd dimension platformer routine years ago. Maybe this is just me?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well I'm back, and I haven't killed Ridley yet. But I did kill his bro-in-arms: Kraid. :p

Well it's nice to see someone stopped that dumb Paper Mario clone disscussion. It was by far one of the dumbest I've seen on this thread so far.

As for controllers, at this point, I don't think competitive players NEED to learn to use a new controller. It's more like they're being FORCED due to with the new system and lack of GC support. Still all those other controller options are nice to have.

If worst comes to worst I'm moving to the Nunchuck + Wiimote.

And back into the darkness I go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom