• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Knock opponent off ledge > jump off > Grab them > Toss them into blast line.

I can see a problem with that.
Such would definitely speed up the gameplay.

It would be on the same tech level as spikes

yani_

Smash Ace
This.
Also, we can't use Gamecube controllers on the WiiU? DANG IT! FRICK! I never even got used to the Wii-Remote...

:phone:
I hope they make a Wireless Gamecube controller compatible with the Wii-U. I'm sure they will. Especially if they make GC games downloadable off the shop.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Air Grabs? I'm pretty sure we've brought up it before.

I find that even if it was given as an exclusive move like wall jumping, as stated by Kuma, I don't think it would work out as:

1. If it left you helpless, it would be useless.
2. If it didn't leave you helpless, it would be a MAJOR buff for characters with multiple jumps like MK (who I'm pretty sure we all don't like right now as it stands).

PaulBlue

Smash Rookie
Well what if it did leave you helpless if you missed, but the catch was that you'd get a boost in the opposite direction you threw your opponent in, to help you recover. Does that sound semi-balanced?

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well what if it did leave you helpless if you missed, but the catch was that you'd get a boost in the opposite direction you threw your opponent in, to help you recover. Does that sound semi-balanced?
Like a footstool jump?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Well, I'm off for the night. Got school. I should be here longer on Wednesday. See, my school gets a little half-day, and we get let out at 12:30. :) Hooray for my high school.
Well anyway, see ya.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yo Kuma, about your analogy, you state it as if everyone understands the mechanics as you described. Or even tried the games for that matter.

I think that there will come a time that you will accept the role of encouraging others to try different games as an alternative to simply relating one to another.
That's kind of hard considering this is Smashboards we're talking about. You still have players that are convinced anything not Smash is pointlessly hard.

Someone remind me though as to what's the problem of having just a grab button and forward+grab button for tether users?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Now I see, making another Smash is just redundant. :troll:

Where are we even going.

@Tryphen: YOU JUST TRY. POWER BOMBS ARE FOR WEAKLINGS. KEEP THAT IN MIND.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Now I see, making another Smash is just redundant. :troll:

Where are we even going.
Playing Smash twice is redundent, waking up is redundent. LIFE HAS NO MEANING.

We're going to the tub, with our Sarah Mclachlan CD and a bottle of sleeping pills.

Too far?

Nawww.

If you could declone a character, at the cost of cloning up another, who would it be?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I figure many would say declone Ganondorf, and then add a cloned Black Shadow. If that counts.

Villains are so redundant.

Gonna get me some COOKIES.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Declone Ganondorf and clone Lucas. Then remove Lucas. :troll:
CHEAT. Lucas is a B-Move clone. I HATE HIM FOR IT. So, I guess I don't care.

Declone Falco, umm.....clone Pokemon Trainer? and remove him...

Wearin' some ME

PaulBlue

Smash Rookie
I'd declone Toon Link and clone up Falco...
I think Toon Link has a lot of potential to be unique.
@Shortiecanbrawl There are quite a few B-Move clones in smash, Lucas sets himself apart in that his A-moveset is almost 100% different from Ness'.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Unfortunately, PaulBlue, many people consider having the same B Moves makes them a clone or semi-clone.

...Which isn't completely true, but then when we get to their final smashes...

Man, I miss Single Button Mode. That way, everybody would play differently. B moves are the only ones really repeated.

As for clones, remake Toon Link with his new items, or bring in Mask Link.

Falco and Wolf aren't really a big deal, just change their Final Smashes. They play beyond differently, and don't have all the same moves, or close to.

Ganondorf needs two swords. Lucas needs different B moves since there's a ton of psi moves in Mother already.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I want Falco to have a Flash Kick for his Up B. It'd be a clever reference to the somersault. I'm kind of surprised Fox doesn't have it.

It actually goes higher in the games than it does in this animation.

ElvishSpirit

Smash Apprentice
All reality, he's 100% clone material, plain and simple. Look at Toon Link, Doctor Mario, Falco, Lucas, ect. Anything similar has a chance of being a clone, and anything with the same name HAS been a clone. BUT, if you don't mind clones/semi-clones then this point doesn't totally matter.
But you need to think about when developers want to throw in Paper Mario. If they have him from the beginning and seriously think it out, then PM would have a moveset that shows little to no resemblance to the "actual" fighter Mario. If PM is a character that Nintendo decided to throw it 6 months before release (or however close they can call it) then of course it would be a clone/semi clone. If Ganondorf had been developed since day one of Melee, you think he would of been a clone? Hell no! Same goes for Roy and Falco.

Paper Mario has a ton of potential to have a separate moveset then regular Mario. Hell, Paper Mario doesn't even use fireballs.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But it bothers me because B-Moves are the EASIEST thing to make up/pull from. Seriously.

@Kuma, I like the idea. Chu hates it :3 How did playing that song for him go? I hope it softened him up a bit.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
You guys still on Air-grabbing? I've been skimming through to keep up, so if what I'm about to say has already been said, you'll know why:

1. When speaking of buttons, how can we propose how Air-Grabs will work when its very possible that Smash 4 will use a Wii U controller? AKA a controller that most if not all of us haven't even touched?

2. To avoid MK and others taking full advantage of the move through multi-jumping, how bout having the air grabs only being used once until the user touches the ground again?

PaulBlue

Smash Rookie
@BirthNote
1. I'm pretty sure it's one WiiU supersized mega controller per system, so Classic controller or maybe if we're lucky a Gamcube-Classic Controller would be used most commonly, the main difference being the addition of one more Z button. Not a problem, 2nd Z button or Shield+B like I suggested earlier.
2. Helplessness after air grabbing was brought up, but I think this is pretty good way of dealing with balancing air grabs too.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Kuma, would I be wrong in stating that this looks like one of the topics from your backroom thread?

yani_

Smash Ace
@Paul The final Wii-U is going to be shown at the next e3 I believe theyre working on that horrid one controller nonsense

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@BirthNote
1. I'm pretty sure it's one WiiU supersized mega controller per system, so Classic controller or maybe if we're lucky a Gamcube-Classic Controller would be used most commonly, the main difference being the addition of one more Z button. Not a problem, 2nd Z button or Shield+B like I suggested earlier.
2. Helplessness after air grabbing was brought up, but I think this is pretty good way of dealing with balancing air grabs too.
Cool. About the "use once until touching the ground" thing, I guess the best comparison would be Diddy's SideB--except in the air grabs' case, it could be less crippling for the user as that could be the only thing that gets disabled compared to all of Diddy's B moves (provided Monkey Flip branches into a kick).

@Yani: Yeah, they're gonna re-unveil the whole thing next time.

PaulBlue

Smash Rookie
@yani I hope so, but the controller are pretty big if I recall correctly. It'd be a pain to have 2-4 of those lying around the house. I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck to their guns and made it one per system, simply because it is big. Either way, I'd personally stick with the Classic controller. I'll have to look up that stuff about the new controller again sometime.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We don't know if it can have up to 2 yet. I wasn't counting the Wii U controller as an indefinite point because of this.

Albeit, sure, it might be one per system, which means it won't be viable for tourneys.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@GhostElvis See that's the thing, it's all "probably" or "It could". The best we can go off of is what Sakurai left us with, and it points to him being a clone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's a wired controller. Also, you don't even know if it works badly. According to the people who actually played with it, it was a perfect fit. So it's not some big lumux as is.

ElvishSpirit

Smash Apprentice
@GhostElvis See that's the thing, it's all "probably" or "It could". The best we can go off of is what Sakurai left us with, and it points to him being a clone.
But any character has that risk. Who thought before Melee came out that "golly, I hope Ganondorf isn't a clone of Captain Falcon!"

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The Wii U tablet is indeed hideous.

Though I suppose some fun can be had out of it.
You're not gonna make out with it are you?

Then why would you judge it based on it's appearence? I think it's cool looking.

But any character has that risk. Who thought before Melee came out that "golly, I hope Ganondorf isn't a clone of Captain Falcon!"
Cool. We're talking about Paper Mario. Him being a clone isn't a really a WTF thing, it's a definite possibility that is obviously something that could happen. It's not anything like the Ganon/Falcon thing. It's a legitimate concern.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
You're not gonna make out with it are you?

Then why would you judge it based on it's appearence? I think it's cool looking.
I'm a diehard Nintendo fan and I'm still gonna try and get it release day... I'm just saiyan I don't like the rectangular shape of it and how cumbersome it looks.

But since it is supposedly comfy in your hand, then I guess I really don't have much complaint...

To be fair, the only reason Ganny was a Falcon clone was because of time constraints. In fact, that's the main reason he got in, is because his body structure's similarities to Falcon's.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait till you hold it before judging it. That's the best way.

Also, Paper Mario has less chance of being a clone than Bowser Jr. and/or Shadow Mario. Sakurai knows Paper Mario has a Hammer, and he even has a different body shape.

ElvishSpirit

Smash Apprentice
Cool. We're talking about Paper Mario. Him being a clone isn't a really a WTF thing, it's a definite possibility that is obviously something that could happen. It's not anything like the Ganon/Falcon thing. It's a legitimate concern.
And you are right. If Paper Mario is planned out well then he has much potential. If he isn't planned out well then he will be a clone. But one can hope that the Smash developers know their games they are getting the character from and Paper Mario isn't just the same old Mario.

But alas, I want Paper Mario personally, just like any other person wants their character. If someone is against something the negatives come to their minds first, so I guess it can't be helped.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
First off, any new news to report that doesn't involve that Sony wanna-be Smash Bros. game (I smell failure! And die Final Fantasy VII DIE!), Capcom begging Nintendo to put Mega Man in Smash, or Penn State violating your children=??? :bee: :reverse: :glare:

I want Falco to have a Flash Kick for his Up B. It'd be a clever reference to the somersault. I'm kind of surprised Fox doesn't have it.

It actually goes higher in the games than it does in this animation.
That would be neat! I think it should also probably go higher than Fox's recovery (maybe not as long as Fox's recovery), yet be control-able in 8 different directions like the Fire Fox Wolf Vixen Bird. :awesome: :chuckle: :cool:

The Wii U tablet is indeed hideous.

Though I suppose some fun can be had out of it.
I thought the same thing with the Wiimote and Nunchunk; especially the Nunchunk! I now stand corrected.

Still, the N64 controller is ugly as heck and designed pretty poorly. Why the heck would there be grip for three hands, and how would it be more convenient for people who aren't mutants from the X-Men=??? :urg:

@ Oasis (too many dang O's)
I think Shortie actually made a good response. Anyone could be a clone. Who the heck thought Ganondorf could ever be a copy of anybody that wasn't Link or Zelda=???

As much as a I absolutely CRINGE at the idea of even a semi-clone Paper Mario (which I would HATE!), it is definitely in the realm of possibility. Really, if the Smash Bros. development team added a Mario clone that wasn't Luigi, :awesome: why not just re-add Dr. Mario with some new tricks=???

Don't just make Doc a better Mario again, though. For some reason I am not that great at fighting Mario/Luigi/Doc Mains in Melee, lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom