• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meow, someone is sassy!

Look, it's fine you love Toad. Fantastic. But saying him not showing up two new games doesn't mean his fanbase is going to diminish at all. Again, if this were true no one would like Mewtwo, or Roy. Not everyone has a ten second memory span. Fans are fans, through the thick and thin. You should know that.
Actually, there's always that New Mario Mii game and the other upcoming games so... There's nothing to worry about.

Fans are fans of characters because they like them. I mean... LOOK AT MEGAMAN. He hasn't appeared in MvC 3 but they're staying strong despite the bitterness

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meow, someone is sassy!

Look, it's fine you love Toad. Fantastic. But saying Junior not showing up two new games doesn't mean his fanbase is going to diminish at all. Again, if this were true no one would like Mewtwo, or Roy. Not everyone has a ten second memory span. Fans are fans, through the thick and thin. You should know that.
Tell that to the fans of certain Pokemon. Sometimes I feel the Pokemon fanbases are very fickle.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is also a contingent of Fire Emblem supporters who supports whoever is the "newest face" or "newest female". See Chrome and Sheeda. Look at how all of Micaiah's Brawl support has evaporated as an example of this.

D

Deleted member

Okay let's calm down and stop arguing.

@ChronoBound: Do you think the Pokemon scene will be as chaotic as Mario's

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I am saying that due to the competition for the fanbases between the Mario characters. There will be extremely cut-throat actions taken place. These fanbases will do whatever it takes or use whatever they have to demoralize other fanbases. Including the argument of "relevancy".
What does fanbase competition have to do with anything? As far as I know, Sakurai isn't an avid fan of watching us debate. He's going to look at the character votes, look at what Nintendo has to say, and look at what he thinks, and pick a character.. fans are just stupid and like to think that there arguing means something. All you are doing is feeding poor arguments. Relevancy is one of the worst tools you can use in an argument, unless IT ACTUALLY MATTERS. *Looks at Wart* otherwise, the relevancy between Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, and Toad is nothing. No Thing.

Tell that to the fans of certain Pokemon. Sometimes I feel the Pokemon fanbases are very fickle.
I think it's because with Pokemon, if you aren't fickle, you aren't being realistic. I love me some Third gens, but I think it's also smart for me to choose a fifth gen to support as well, just so when it comes to voting I have SOME REAL say in who is chosen.

@Oasis You forgot a *Laughs*

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
What does fanbase competition have to do with anything? As far as I know, Sakurai isn't an avid fan of watching us debate. He's going to look at the character votes, look at what Nintendo has to say, and look at what he thinks, and pick a character.. fans are just stupid and like to think that there arguing means something.
"These Ridley fans are *******s. They keep flaming all the other character supporters. I'LL TEACH THEM A LESSON. *BOSS*"

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
saying Junior not showing up two new games doesn't mean his fanbase is going to diminish at all. Again, if this were true no one would like Mewtwo, or Roy. Not everyone has a ten second memory span. Fans are fans, through the thick and thin. You should know that.
Bowser Jr. is competition with Paper Mario and Toad for a Mario representative spot or two, assuming there are any. Smash Bros. rosters are a lot like natural selection. The strong survive, the weak die. This happened in the Pokémon roster spot for that 4th spot, where Lucario beat out the likes of Plusle and Minun, Mewtwo, Pichu, Deoxys, and others.

I don't think in the pre-Brawl days I saw anyone post who was truly die-hard to the idea of Bowser Jr. being playable in smash bros other than Gimpyfish (who is the best Melee Bowser player in the world).

In the pre-Brawl days there was a small, yet very dedicated pro-Toad movement of really hardcore members. For thousands of posts I debated with all kinds of folks who were feverishly for their characters, and Toad fans ranked towards the most feverishly for their character (although they were few in number), up there with Geno, Mega Man, Ridley, and Sonic fans. Notice a pattern? Older characters tend to have more stern supporters.

However, that doesn't mean only older characters get the strongest support. Ike got ridiculous amounts of support. Bowser Jr. fan's level of support for him appearing in smash bros is yet to be seen, but trust me, we will see it. And trust me when I say this: Smash Boards' pre-Brawl speculation days in many ways, reflects the views of both casual and dedicated Nintendo fans. Because it's members were from both camps.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Okay let's calm down and stop arguing.

@ChronoBound: Do you think the Pokemon scene will be as chaotic as Mario's

Right now. No.

However, if Meloetta ends up being next major revealed Pokemon, I can easily seeing her getting a slew of rabid supporters. She can easily become the heir to Gardevoir's fanbase.

If its Genesect, he will vacuum up a significant part of Zoroark's fanbase, since they are both "badass" Pokemon.

Keldeo is not going to get a following.

As to possible Ruby/Sapphire remakes, keep in mind that Gold/Silver's remakes representative was nothing more than "notched-ear" Pichu.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Thank you, Chrono! I knew I was forgetting something. LOL I admit I was guilty of that, too... where Caeda is concerned. Remember when I used to support Caeda because I thought she stood out in Sakurai's eyes because he considered her the heroine of Shadow Dragon... but I have given up on her because of Chrome's upcoming game.

And SSF, I think the Pokemon scene will be way more chaotic than Mario's. You got many Pokemon in competition (1st gen, 3rd gen, 5th gen) for a spot in SSB4 whereas Mario only got three characters who are in serious competition (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario) for a spot in SSB4.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well you can throw Geno in with them as well if his fanbase even gets to half of what it was pre-Brawl.

The only Pokemon from 1st-gen that I see get a lot of support is Mewtwo.

5th-gen its only currently Zoroark and Victini.

3rd-gen so far has no one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Right now. No.

However, if Meloetta ends up being next major revealed Pokemon, I can easily seeing her getting a slew of rabid supporters. She can easily become the heir to Gardevoir's fanbase.

If its Genesect, he will vacuum up a significant part of Zoroark's fanbase, since they are both "badass" Pokemon.

Keldeo is not going to get a following.

As to possible Ruby/Sapphire remakes, keep in mind that Gold/Silver's remakes representative was nothing more than "notched-ear" Pichu.
Personally, I would rather have Zoroark represent the 2nd gen remakes and 5th gen games. Zoroark had ties with Entei, Suicune, and Raikou, remember? Zoroark's Down+B could have Zoroark randomly masquerade as one of them... it would be like 4 characters in one.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What does fanbase competition have to do with anything?
Popularity (including how into a character buyers are) and sales = fan bases.

Sakurai and the Smash Bros. development team may choose a Mario character or two (if any at all), and they'll go "huh, I wonder who we should put in?"

Sakurai and the Smash Bros. development team will consider a character's popularity, the popular of the series said character is from, how relevant a character is (which doesn't mean how recent they appeared; for example, ROB was old, but relevant because he stared two games and was a popular NES attachment, and Ike was relevant because he starred in 1 1/2 Fire Emblem games), what they could add to smash (as an original character or clone), how a character could help balance the game, and would said character being playable make you want to buy smash.

Also, the Pokémon scene is always the craziest. In the Pre-Brawl days we had support threads for nearly every Generation 4 Pokémon, several Generation 3 Pokémon (most the legendaries, and a few Generation 1 and 2 Pokémon, as well as new Pokémon Trainers.

As a side note, before Deoxys got Pokéball'd, he was definitely the most popular 3rd Generation Pokémon representatives. He was one of my ten or so most desired characters, and my most desired newcomer Pokémon representative. I actually would kind of rather have Jirachi now because it is much more unique, and I'm somewhat against Deoxys not being playable. I do think, however, he should have all of his forms usable as a Pokéball Pokémon.

I want to dig up that formerly stickied topic that had links to every or nearly every character support thread in the pre-Brawl days. There were well over 400 threads, 1 for each character.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ Blaziken was the most desired 3rd Generation of Pokémon representative after Deoxys got Pokéball'd in the pre-Brawl days.

Mudkip also had a (troll) fan base. :laugh:

They're most likely making an NSMB Wii U (Which is NSMB Mii I think) game since... Ya know.... They make remakes for every console.
Lol yeah. But the question moving forward is whether that Super Mario Bros. Mii is a tech demo like Super Mario 128 or a real game like Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm a competitive but there are some who are polite....

But in the end, there are some or most who are *****es at times. Lol.
Yeah seriously most of said people in the Brawl Competitive area are jerks (I'm sticking to mah Toon Link boards). I mentioned that Olimar fans oppose LGL rules and three people told me straight up to GTFO. It wasn't even my opinion; I was just trying to ask "are having so many rules against camping making camping more prominent?" without assuming an answer. I wanted to hear people's opinions. Apparently their opinion was that of a Brawl n00b, which I responded with by going and playing Melee for half an hour (a real man's smash bros game!). :troll:

There were like... 4 kind people to me in that thread. And 5 of them were Smooth Criminal.

Anyways, everyone here is as cool as the other side of your mom's bed. :troll: :laugh: :cool: :awesome:

Maybe a random troll or two who come by and never return aside.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well you can throw Geno in with them as well if his fanbase even gets to half of what it was pre-Brawl.

The only Pokemon from 1st-gen that I see get a lot of support is Mewtwo.

5th-gen its only currently Zoroark and Victini.

3rd-gen so far has no one.
I said "Mario only got three characters who are in serious competition." :troll:

When the 3rd gen starts gaining supporters, I can see three serious competitors happening... Pokemon Trainer May with Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken, Plusle & Minun (please no), and Deoxys. Gardevoir never had a chance... it was just popular, but not relevant in the games nor in the anime... it was the Alakazam of the 3rd gen.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, under the right condition, I see Pokemon being a warfield for reps.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
AT THIS POINT IN TIME, it doesn't help Gardeoir, but she was a main character in the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. (Which was out around Pr-Brawl days) She has SOME significance, even if it is small, well nothing now.

Also, I would note that MD1 was one of the better selling spin-off games of Pokemon. Honestly, unless we see remakes, our pool of choices really ONLY spawn fromo Mewtwo, and three or four fifth generations.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I said "Mario only got three characters who are in serious competition." :troll:

When the 3rd gen starts gaining supporters, I can see three serious competitors happening... Pokemon Trainer May with Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken, Plusle & Minun (please no), and Deoxys. Gardevoir never had a chance... it was just popular, but not relevant in the games nor in the anime... it was the Alakazam of the 3rd gen.
Fun fact: Most of us mistook Gardevoir for Rosalina in the first Brawl demo at E For All 2008 in LA. People had to sneak to get (crappy) videos of it because Nintendo was against the taking of videos. Apparently the demo had some form of L-canceling, wave dashing, and ridiculous wave landing physics (that probably would have made Meta Knight more broken). Also according to said people (many of the games best went, including HugS, Gimpyfish, MikeHAZE I think. My friend DemonCaterpie went, too), Mario was the best character followed by Meta Knight, lulz.

Geno is still the wild card 3rd party/Mario character.

I think Blaziken still has a fan base since he is pretty sweet. Infernape is totally a clone of him. :troll:

I still think Plusle and Minun or Jirachi are the most likely, and the best option for a 3rd Generation representative, assuming we ever get one. Plusle and Minun could be a unique team where you could tag team switch between them, they have different strengths and weaknesses each, and they both have minor differences that make them different. Jirachi could use some interesting psychic and long-range attacks, and I think could be interesting.

Still, they all seem unlikely.

There were probably about or over 100 support threads for each individual Pokémon in the pre-Brawl days here on Smash Boards, along with support threads for several Kanto Gym Leaders and I think all of the Champions of each region.

To prove you right SSBF, when the Smash Bros. 4 forum comes out here, I'm going to make a support thread for each individual Pokémon! :laugh:

I am going to put the most effort into the Blastoise thread because I am biased, though! :009:

I probably will have to make an exception with Pikachu because it will probably be confirmed right off the bat like in Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl... >.> :025: :pikachu: :pika: :pikachu64: :pikachumelee: :pikachubrawl: :pikachu2:

(seriously, does Smash Boards have enough Pikachu smilies=???)
:laugh:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just hope the idiots that think Jigglypuff should be cut will finally be in much smaller numbers. You would think her being in since Smash 64 would mean something.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Yeah, I agree... that's why I want Nintendo to make a Smash/Pokemon spin-off game where all the playable characters are important/popular/iconic Pokemon.

1st gen: Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard, Pikachu, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Meowth, Eevee, Mewtwo
2nd gen: starters, Pichu, Marill, Togepi, Slowking
3rd gen: starters, Plusle & Minun, Gardevoir, Deoxys
4th gen: starters, Lucario, Pachirisu, Munchlax, Darkrai
5th gen: starters, Zoroark, Victini, Emolga, Genesect, Meloetta

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I just hope the idiots that think Jigglypuff should be cut will finally be in much smaller numbers. You would think her being in since Smash 64 would mean something.
Well the people who think Jigglypuff should be cut at least make points... sometimes... on an occasion.

The people who think Jigglypuff will be cut are pretty hilarious to laugh at though.

Hell, there was a pretty small sect of people who thought Luigi would be cut. Ironically after I won that $50 bet that Diddy Kong would be in Brawl (which I didn't get my money for), none of them would bet against me... :glare:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If evee gets in, stone ability ftw. You have Evee as a base, and then you have the option to go Thunder, Water, or Fire Stone at any point in the match, BUT YOU CANNO'T TURN BACK. Like, it would be her taunts.

How big was Dixie's support Pre-Brawl?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
100000%. There's just too many
You catch on quickly, lol! Pokémon in smash bros is truly political. There's different parties, different moral views, different interpretations, and of course all the illegal stuff like illegal money laundering, fraud, paying off people, and whatnot! All over a bunch of wanna be animals/mythical creatures/aliens/mythological beings/gods :laugh:

/ends ran-dumb joke :psycho:

@ Metal Overlord
I think I even saw someone before Brawl was revealed say that Mario should be cut for lesser known characters, and probably will when I lurked smash boards, lulz.

Also, there was a noticeable sect of people who thought Samus was cut for Zamus, lmao! :laugh: It was hilarious. They thought they were smart, but in the end... NAAAHHH!!!! :chuckle:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Diddy was pretty much the guy the entire DK fanbase rallied behind. The K. Rool and Dixie Kong fanbases did not take off until Diddy was confirmed. However, after Diddy's confirmation, K. Rool easily had the bigger fanbase.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Also, there was a noticeable sect of people who thought Samus was cut for Zamus, lmao! :laugh: It was hilarious. They thought they were smart, but in the end... NAAAHHH!!!! :chuckle:
Actually, I can sort of see where they got that idea from now that I think about it. Mind you, back then I didn't think it was going to happen...but notice how Samus's power suit breaks, almost as if OLD SAMUS HAS DIED. I dunno, I think I'm being too....graspy.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Holy hell, John, you typed all that in 2 minutes? :laugh:

But, yeah, I sure can't wait for stuff like that to happen after E3 2012 (or whenever the official trailer reveal comes). :grin:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I remember some people saying that Sheik was cut for Zero Suit Samus (an invalid reason) and because Zelda doesn't transform into Sheik in Twilight Princess (a valid reason). Many people even expected Toon Link to not be playable because they thought the cel-shaded graphics doesn't fit with Brawl's realistic graphics. Midna fans got bitter when Toon Link showed up. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Diddy was pretty much the guy the entire DK fanbase rallied behind. The K. Rool and Dixie Kong fanbases did not take off until Diddy was confirmed. However, after Diddy's confirmation, K. Rool easily had the bigger fanbase.
And yet Dixie Kong was the one who almost got in Brawl... which goes to prove that it doesn't matter whose fanbases are bigger (or at least it is not the only factor) in Sakurai's eyes.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Definetly agree with this; sadly they are bound to show up during Smash 4's, even in small numbers I'm afraid.

D

Deleted member

Yes under the right conditions.

Also, I keep saying that Palutena and Medusa will become the Falco vs. Wolf, Wolf vs. Krystal of Smash 4.
The more rational fan base will be Palutena. I bet money on Medusa being the "Krystal of SSB4", although one that could very well get in.

Do you think Sakurai will ever again consider revisiting the concept of a Diddy and Dixie Kong team?

And also, do you have any ideas as to why Smash because such a speculation-heated series being that you're from Pre-Melee?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well it depends when. Before Diddy Kong's announcement, only about 1/5th the Diddy Kong supporters were into her, and another 1/5th were into K. Rool, and perhaps some like myself were really into both.

After Diddy Kong's announcement I would say her fan base got much bigger (as did K. Rool's, except maybe not as big). She was definitely amongst the 10 or so biggest for potential newcomer characters that didn't make it (along with K. Rool).

I think more people were under the opinion K. Rool had a better shot at making it in Brawl. I include myself in that group.

Actually, I can sort of see where they got that idea from now that I think about it. Mind you, back then I didn't think it was going to happen...but notice how Samus's power suit breaks, almost as if OLD SAMUS HAS DIED. I dunno, I think I'm being too....graspy.
Nah, Samus was a lock. We saw Samus in her power suit. They weren't going to waste their time detailing that suit just to have it as an introduction for Zamus, especially with that ridiculous Final Smash attack. That would be stupid.

I remember some people saying that Sheik was cut for Zero Suit Samus (an invalid reason) and because Zelda doesn't transform into Sheik in Twilight Princess (a valid reason). Many people even expected Toon Link to not be playable because they thought the cel-shaded graphics doesn't fit with Brawl's realistic graphics. Midna fans got bitter when Toon Link showed up. :awesome:
Glad TL pissed 'em off. I actually ran the cel-shaded Young Link thread. People kept mentioning it wouldn't work in smash, and said the Island Trophy TL trophy that was shown right before Brawl was released de-confirmed him, lulz. I knew at that point he was 100% in.

Holy hell, John, you typed all that in 2 minutes? :laugh:

But, yeah, I sure can't wait for stuff like that to happen after E3 2012 (or whenever the official trailer reveal comes). :grin:
Actually I had that quote of you saved. But to make myself look impressive, I was talking to my cousin about how Gaddaifi should have ended, like it was one of those "how the Lord of the Rings should have ended" videos as a joke at the same time I posted all of that! :laugh:

Although I do admit I thought Sheik would be cut, preferably having her move set's good points (which is like two moves) transferred over to newer characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The more rational fan base will be Palutena. I bet money on Medusa being the "Krystal of SSB4", although one that could very well get in.

Do you think Sakurai will ever again consider revisiting the concept of a Diddy and Dixie Kong team?

And also, do you have any ideas as to why Smash because such a speculation-heated series being that you're from Pre-Melee?
Yeah Medusa's fan base will be about the same as Palutena's in terms of rationality IMO. I think the latter definitely has a better shot, given that the former is a Greek mythical creature.

And let us pray to God Sakurai NEVER EVER EVER considers that abomination of a Diddy-Dixie team. It could be terribly broken in ways Meta Knight in Brawl and Pikachu in Smash 64 would never dream of being.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Ohhhh!!! I do HOPE that Sakurai revisit the concept! I LOVED Donkey Kong Country 2 and I always wanted to see Diddy and Dixie team up in Smash like they did in the SNES classic. But if not Diddy and Dixie, then hopefully Dixie and Kiddy... I just want to see that team-up gameplay mechanic from the Donkey Kong Country games represented in Smash (and mainly because I want to play as Dixie).

About the Kid Icarus goddesses, I hope we get both. They are like the Peach/Bowser and Zelda/Ganon of the Kid Icarus series.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think the latter definitely has a better shot, given that the former is a Greek mythical creature.
I don't know why you keep saying that.

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to the type of fanbase Medusa attracts. SHE'S THE BETTER PICK (:troll:), but her fanbase will probably be awful.

Since Sakurai developed Uprising with Smash in mind (am I remembering that correctly?), we'll probably be able to tell which of the two he might choose. If not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom