• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If that is indeed Takamaru then he is indeed getting in Smash 4. This also torpedoes Lip's chances. I am just curious though whether Sakurai will also implement Little Mac who is basically the Western Takamaru.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So he fights like I thought he would. He's using what I think is Iaido. That and the sidestepping moves would make him pretty unique in Smash. Another thing we don't really have in Smash are characters that dodge moves as part of their moveset. The closest was Wolf and his Reflector.
That would be an interesting new idea for smash bros. That could be a great attack. It would make Takamaru a much more unique character IMHO.

A different kind of dodge (maybe a unique ducking dodge like a boxer ducking below a uppercut) would be excellent for Little Mac, too.

Plus it is way better than Pit's shield or Game and Watch's worthless counter thingy
:troll:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If that is indeed Takamaru then he is indeed getting in Smash 4. This also torpedoes Lip's chances. I am just curious though whether Sakurai will also implement Little Mac who is basically the Western Takamaru.
Oh good, I thought I was the only one who thought that. :laugh:

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai made a compromise by having them both in order to satisfy the tastes of both Western and Japanese fans.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That would be an interesting new idea for smash bros. That could be a great attack. It would make Takamaru a much more unique character IMHO.

A different kind of dodge (maybe a unique ducking dodge like a boxer ducking below a uppercut) would be excellent for Little Mac, too.

Plus it is way better than Pit's shield or Game and Watch's worthless counter thingy
:troll:
lol I'm pretty sure ducking an uppercut is not the best of ideas, since the punch is coming from below. XD

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I wouldn't go as far as he is indeed going to be a playable character (unless Sakurai keeps his promise, but his promise may change to him being a character, but not playable), but he most likely is going to appear in the game as at least an Assist Trophy.

Still, Takamaru's chances now seem much stronger.

Also, I'm not sure if this gives Lip a better chance (unless she appears in this game). Maybe as a "purely" retro character, but nothing else. I mean, there's not a whole lot of "purely" retro characters left people would want that haven't been in smash now that Pit, Little Mac, and now Takmaru have new games. Mach Rider, Sukapon, Bubbles, Wart, the Balloon Fighter, (Geno? Although he did have a appearance in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga) the Duck Hunt Dog (crazy choice), and Lip seem to be the only such characters left with any hope.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
lol I'm pretty sure ducking an uppercut is not the best of ideas, since the punch is coming from below. XD
Duck isn't the right word. I meant to say dodge, lol.

My wording has been off today just like my Captain Falcon was off at the tournament I went to last weekend, after I was blowing my mind with how good I was playing him the day before! XD

Also, this Bowser needs to be in Smash Bros. 4.

Look closely; he has a RACCOON TAIL! Seriously, Raccoon Tail Bowser for Smash Bros. 4.

Raccoon Tail Bowser > Normal Bowser.

Also, that raccoon tail leaf needs to be an item for smash bros. /ends discussion about it

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, does anyone else find it strange that we got no mentions about Kid Icarus Uprising at that conference?

Perhaps the game might be delayed beyond Q1 2012? Or perhaps it will get its own press conference closer to release?

Still, if the game ends up being delayed again, then you can say good bye to a 2014 release date for Smash 4.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ Kid Icarus: Uprising is actually scheduled for a early 2012 release in Europe and North America (there is no word on the Japanese release).

Kid Icarus: Uprising may very well come out in 2012 in Japan. If it does, it is probably in the final testing phases, or final addition stages. That or it is in the printing stages... >.>

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I believe the focus was their eShop and online services, so that's probably why Uprising wasn't mentioned.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That sounds about right.

But at least Kid Icarus is getting another re-release so that may raise some eyebrows in support of 2 KI reps. Kirby's Adventure is also getting a re-release, so I bet I know a certain director who's excited about that... :awesome:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Dodge moves?

I think that will become a part of Little Mac's moveset.

But you're right the art style is cel shaded.

Toon Takamaru for SSB4!. :awesome:
Who's to say it can't be applied to other characters. That's like saying only one character can have a projectile. But yeah, I can definitely see it being part of Little Mac's moveset. If you want an idea as to how the dodge thing could work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1oWAeshfZw

What's also neat in Yoshimitsu's Manji Teleport. It's a very quick move in terms of startup. I could see Mewtwo's Teleport being buffed to that speed. Would definitely make him a mind game character.

Lol chances. Wasn't Starphoenix discussing the overuse of probability terms? Anyway, if it is Takamaru, I don't think it endangers her in any way. Like Little Mac, Takamaru would not be considered a retro character. Since the only retro characters we're talking about right now are DHD, Mach Rider, and Lip, the competition is a bit easier.

That being said, DHD, along with Tom Nook, may get in assuming Sakurai found inspiration in Phoenix Wright. Mach Rider may be getting a new game, but no one's sure outside of rumors.

On the subject of Lip, I think her SideB should be where she does a command grab that switches places with the opponent and there's a small period of hitstun where you can start a combo. That reminds me, this game needs tech grabs for throws. Mashing out doesn't suffice.

The ducking would have to be horizontal, not vertical, but it could work with good reflexes.

Just watched the The Rolling Western trailer, and I'm liking what I'm seeing. I can see Jiro being a character where he has slow walk speed, but is very fast when rolling. I can see him playing similar to Sonic, but not as fast with a higher damage output as compensation.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oooh, I see what ChronoBound was saying. They showed off games and when they were releasing, but they didn't show Uprising. Still though, I doubt it'd much to worry about.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I also think a resurgent Takamaru is bad news for Samurai Goroh. The main appeal to both of those characters is a katana-based moveset. However, with Takamaru consolidating more and more support for such a spot, he is becoming increasngly more likely that he will get the spot. However, there is also the possibility that Goroh gets in through being a luigi-fied clone of Takamaru. Still, I think F-Zero's only playable character is likely to remain just Captain Falcon.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Remember guys, Sakurai said after Melee's release that if Takamaru had another game, he would probably put him in Smash Bros.

That's what the whole idea that "his chances improved" theory.

Also, there definitely is some chances or probability. It's not an exact science, but it's somewhat easy to understand. For example, Dixie Kong has a good chance to make it in Smash 4 because she almost made it in Brawl, she starred in a popular game, she is popular, she has all kinds of unique moves, she has a fan base, and she is an important character in an important and huge franchise that is creeping back into relevance.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yes, I just remembered that Sakurai did say that about Takamaru (that he would get in if he had another game). While I understand that there is some frustration about the whole probability speculation "science", there are definitely some parameters that influence how likely a character is to get in. Relevancy (with the exception of retros) is certainly one of them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I also think a resurgent Takamaru is bad news for Samurai Goroh. The main appeal to both of those characters is a katana-based moveset. However, with Takamaru consolidating more and more support for such a spot, he is becoming increasngly more likely that he will get the spot. However, there is also the possibility that Goroh gets in through being a luigi-fied clone of Takamaru. Still, I think F-Zero's only playable character is likely to remain just Captain Falcon.
Well there's always Black Shadow. :ohwell:

But anyway I doubt having the same weapon will effect anything. Takamaru does also use several projectiles and items in his games. While Goroh, like Falcon, has a lot of room to be made unique.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You could at least do a little research to see just how broad the options are for a katana-based moveset.

As I mentioned, Takamaru could very well be Iaido-based. That involves having the sword at the helm except when attacking. Goroh could have something more kendo based. Meanwhile, Lyn could have something else along with elements of the other two.

Like there are many ways to fight with your hands and feet, there are many ways to fight with a sword, or a katana in this case.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yes, I just remembered that Sakurai did say that about Takamaru (that he would get in if he had another game). While I understand that there is some frustration about the whole probability speculation "science", there are definitely some parameters that influence how likely a character is to get in. Relevancy (with the exception of retros) is certainly one of them.
Starphoenix is just some hippie that wants people to think of every character equally, like, maaan.

And I reeeally can't see Goroh and Takamaru being similar at all, lol.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Samurai Goroh doesn't need to make it with his katana. Ganondorf didn't use a sword. Samurai Goroh may just take Ganondorf's Melee/Brawl move set (hopefully more of his Melee move set since his Brawl move set was stale and boring). Takamaru making it in Smash 4 probably hurts Samurai Goroh's chances, but it doesn't eliminate his chances altogether.

Samurai Goroh could always use his katana differently.

Still, I think we're going to remain with the one and only Captain Falcon as the only F-Zero representative in Smash Bros...

As for Black Shadow... meah. Samurai Goroh has definitely gotten more exposure from Smash so far. The Melee opening appearance (I hated how Brawl's trailer was all about the dumb SSE), the Brawl assist trophy appearance, etc.

Yes. That's exactly what I've always preached like a reverend.

I preach the HOLY SPIRIT OF DAH TOON LINK LAWD!!! :laugh:

But yeah, relevance, popularity, uniqueness, series' popularity (aka exposure), and what a character could contribute to smash definitely is what a character's chances are based off (along with how they would fit).

I forget what it was, but Sakurai had 4 similar points on his views on characters making it into smash brothers.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
F-Zero not having any new game since 2004 hurts Goroh's chances more than anything, however, Takamaru being the first Japanese swordsman in Smash Bros. simply breaks Goroh's other leg. If Goroh does get in, he will be a luigified clone of Takamaru.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Starphoenix is just some hippie that wants people to think of every character equally, like, maaan.
No, he's just tired, just like I am, of people throwing in probabilities based off a whole lot of nothing as far as we know.

Writing up that last post, I just remembered that Pit really needs his SideB improved. It should be where he sucks the opponent into the attack.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Get a haircut and take a shower, KumaHippie.

@Tryphen: I haven't tried, actually. Got distracted by MACH RIDER. I still have that link you gave me lying around though.

D

Deleted member

I think Takamaru will serve as a modern series rep like Little Mac would and not as a retro rep. So as Kuma said, it eases up competiton for the retro spot. If anyone's chances is hurt, it's Little Mac's.

For modern new series, I predict Little Mac, Takamaru, and Isaac. Unfortunately, I no longer expect a retro rep.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

And I reeeally can't see Goroh and Takamaru being similar at all, lol.
MAnnNN you gotta feel the wavvvvvesss braaahhhh!!1 That's why you do the wave at baseball games brooooowwwww!!!!

No offense Starpohenix. The hippies can stop doing drugs and peeing at my local park. So can those stupid high schoolers. Dang it, yesterday there were like 30 of them all yelling and laughing over a cat taking a dump on the lawn-at 11 AT NIGHT!!! >.>

:laugh:

Goroh and Takamaru are both Samurais. We haven't had a Samurai yet in smash bros, so jumping from none to two seems like a bit of a jump.

Plus Samurai Goroh hasn't appeared in a game since... Brawl. His last F-Zero game was back in like 2007 or something like that.

No, he's just tired, just like I am, of people throwing in probabilities based off a whole lot of nothing as far as we know.

Writing up that last post, I just remembered that Pit really needs his SideB improved. It should be where he sucks the opponent into the attack.
Yeah there is no clear percentage of probability, other than our guesses. But they're just that; guess. They are fun to do from time to time!

I think Pit's B moves all need to be improved. His up B needs to come out faster.

His neutral B needs to not be totally gay.

His down B should work as a counter and reflector for long-range attacks.

His forward B definitely needs to suck in foes. And dang it, he needs an English voice actor that doesn't sound totally like a woman! The Japanese voice actor on this move was AWESOME!!!!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think Takamaru will serve as a modern series rep like Little Mac would and not as a retro rep. So as Kuma said, it eases up competiton for the retro spot. If anyone's chances is hurt, it's Little Mac's.

:phone:
I don't see this as hurting Little Mac. Takamaru has practically no fanbase in the West (outside of a few individuals on Smash forums). By the time this game is released in the West, Sakurai will have already determined half of the newcomers for Smash 4, far before Takamaru has the chance of building up an actual fanbase here.

Little Mac is the West's Takamaru. He is a character from a cult hit NES/Famicom title, that was only recently resurrected.

However, on the topic of a pure retro character, I do think there exists for Sakurai a desire to bring back another character from the cold and give him/her a modern makeover like he did with Pit. The only two candidates I can see for this though are Mach Rider and Lip (who is hurt for being Japan-only). Other characters such as Balloon Fighter, Excite Biker, Bubbles, and Urban Champion were already ruled out back during Melee. I am now thinking that its possible that we won't get a "pure" retro character for Smash 4.

Takamaru pleases Japan, and Little Mace pleases the West. We get Mach Rider and/or Lip for Smash 5.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Also: Lol @ people thinking there has to be some kind of RETRO QUOTA filled, and guys like Takamaru and Little Mac being in modern games suddenly frees up space.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Tryphen: I haven't tried, actually. Got distracted by MACH RIDER. I still have that link you gave me lying around though.
I won't laugh. Mach Rider is fun, although I do suck at it. XP

So I guess I'm the only one right now who's actually played Nazo no Murasamejou? Interesting...

Also I'm surprised no one has played the FE card in this this Samurai debate. :awesome:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah there is no clear percentage of probability, other than our guesses. But they're just that; guess. They are fun to do from time to time!
Yeah, it can be fun, but not when you have people like Chronobound that put too much faith into fundamentally unbased predictions.

I think Pit's B moves all need to be improved. His up B needs to come out faster.
That, or make his startup have invincibility frames.

His neutral B needs to not be totally gay.
What do you mean? You mean the notoriety it has for being spammy as hell? In my opinion, it's fine save for the fact that I could never control that thing after I fired it.

His down B should work as a counter and reflector for long-range attacks.
Why a counter?

His forward B definitely needs to suck in foes. And dang it, he needs an English voice actor that doesn't sound totally like a woman! The Japanese voice actor on this move was AWESOME!!!!
The new English voice actor, who's a guy, is looking to be quite the improvement, in a hammy way.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I see I touched a nerve with Kuma. He has always whined about my assessments, so its nothing new.

However, I am thinking more that a pure retro character is less probable, along with Samurai Goroh (whom I have been doubting for a long time).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Balloon Fighter is a truly fun and addictive early NES game. Much better than Ice Climbers, Urban Champion, Clu Clu Land, and Mach Rider. However, Excite Bike is also fun, though not as much Balloon Fight. Its a shame that Sakurai said he was unable to get Balloon Fighter to work.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Do WE REALLY need a retro quota filled!!?

Takamaru is nice, but IS his fanbase good in Japan? I don't think his fanbase in the West matters much since Sakurai won't be looking worldwide?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Do WE REALLY need a retro quota filled!!?

Takamaru is nice, but his his fanbase good in Japan? I don't think his fanbase in the West matters much since Sakurai won't be looking worldwide?

From the Smash forums I saw in Japan, he seems to be their "Little Mac". However, you are correct that he has practically no fanbase in the West. That is why I am thinking we may get both Little Mac AND Takamaru. Little Mac being barely requested in Japan, but very popular in the West, and with Takamaru vice versa.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As I've said in the past, you, or Sakurai for that matter, shouldn't put too much faith in fanbase size. When it comes right down to it, it matters mostly on how unique a character can be (and in the past, that hasn't been a problem save for some characters).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai HAS mentioned though that one of the reasons he selected Pit was that he had a large fanbase in both Japan and America.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:facepalm:

Has anyone even looked at those links in the backroom?

Read this. #171-180

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom