• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The difference is that Kirby is a fighter and the AC dude is not. The way it becomes out of place is because it's "why is he fighting."
Well I understand that. What I was trying to convey is that in a world as nonsensical and absurd as Super Smash Bros it does not seem as big of a deal to me if a shop clerk raccoon joins the fray.I understand the element of trying to stay true to character, but it doesn't seem too radical in my opinion. Only my opinion.

@Shortie:

You are right about the Servbot thing. That is exactly how I envision Tom Nook functioning. With his Final Smash involving bankruptcy or debt, something along that line. Likely will not happen, but it is at least humorous to think about.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hasn't every character in play besides R.O.B. fought in some manner before? In various Comics, Games, TV Shows, etc?

R.O.B. only got in due to his importance to Nintendo. However, in a series, a character that shows to have kind of fighting experience is probably more likely than one without. Also, I'd say generic enemies have less chance than specifically named characters. But I digress.

Moving on, then, have you looked at my list, Shortie? Also, that should be Toon Ganondorf. I didn't update my text file, sorry.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The problem is pretty much how SmashChu stated it....I mean, he isn't wrong. It's a statement that is just true. It's just that we don't think it applies, and he clearly does. I will say it's kind of silly that we have G&W, ROB, and Zelda, but we can't have Nook. Zelda CAN FIGHT, but we rarely SEE her, and she hardley ever DOES fight. I dunno. I just think that the fact that they choose not to fight shouldn't matter. I can see Tom have a whacky servbot type moveset.

Also, I don't like Phoenix Write because they made his moveset so....disconjointed and weird. I thought he was going to like, slap with file folders, and have a punching move that is him poking with his "Objection" finger. I just don't think invisible hitboxed attacks look good. He just doesn't look good I guess is my problem.
Zelda has fought in several Zelda games. the Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, etc. Plus she always has had so many moves ready for smash, has so much magic attacks and skills she's used over the quarter century Zelda has been around, and has even fought with a sword.

Sheik... should die!

But I see your point on Nook. However, I don't think he really warrants an inclusion, and here's why. ROB can easily be a fighter because of his two games, his unique design, and all the features he had as a NES part thing. Game and Watch has several massively popular games to get his move set from (I think his games sold about 50 million units; the sales numbers are weird because they are so old).

Tom Nook could overcome that, but it's still a far shot. Not many people really want a Animal Crossing character (since they could have a Mii over an Animal Crossing Human), the addition of a character from this series probably wouldn't create too much hype, and the series doesn't seem to have any sort of fighting by any means. I mean, at least Captain Falcon and Fox had Miyamoto (their creator) help build their move set that had probably been in his head for a while.

As for invisible hit boxes, Mewtwo could use some! :awesome: I totally trolled my friend at a Melee tournament this weekend when he was spamming down tilt (the tail) as Mewtwo. It kept going through me without harming me, lol! I love trolling people... >.>

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I really hope the whole "x character has never fought so he can't be in" thing is over with.

Phoenix Wright is in UMvC3. /arguement

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, don't give me reasoning. I want Tom Nook, and Sakurai doesn't. That's all I need to except the fact that he isn't happening.

Ends discussion.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, don't give me reasoning. I want Tom Nook, and Sakurai doesn't. That's all I need to except the fact that he isn't happening.

Ends discussion.
I would like Tom Nook (heck, I want about 100 characters), but I don't see him happening either. I don't think it has to do with Sakurai, but rather where his move set would come from.

Shovel: Not that inspiring. See Ness' bat, Lucas' stick, and Peach's golf clubs/pan/tennis racket.
Watering Can: How could that be a (unique) weapon? Would Tom Nook like summon random Pikmin and control them? :laugh:
Net: Same as shovel, except you could "trap" fighters.
Fishing Rod: Could make a funny grab.
Slight Shot: Could actually work. However, I would rather see Toon Link or Link use this, actually.
Flower Packets: Would be random and kind of stupid as a weapon.
Pitfall: Already an item, but it could work.
Throwing Furniture: I would be all for this (as items). "Eff you bro and your spamming Pit. I'm so pissed I'ma gonna throw this bed, cabinet, guitar, and train model at you!" C'mon. That would ROCK!!!!
Use nephews as minions: Would be funny.

Also, this would be a perfect idea for a sick and twisted Tom Nook!!!! :grin:

Edit: If Ridley doesn't make it, people will die. Well, mostly the Pit mains I own online by out camping them in COMPLETE and UNADULTERATED ANGER.

Thus, I would be forcing them to follow one of the sacred Pit oaths. "If I get out camped, I'm not a good enough camper to live." :grin:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Tom Nook started off as a young punk on the streets.

He grew up in a broken home. No father and a mother who was out day and night with random men she sometimes brought over. He eventually ran away at the age of 12.

Being only 12, he found the streets a tough place. It was survival of the fittest, and Nook fought his way through the various ranks. Eventually, this runaway with barely an education was the kingpin of a major crime syndicate.

However, don't think his time in the big chair has softened him up. He was king of the underground bare knuckle boxing ring, and can throw down with the best of them

True story

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would like Tom Nook (heck, I want about 100 characters), but I don't see him happening either. I don't think it has to do with Sakurai, but rather where his move set would come from.
You realize how Subjective that excuse is right? Tons of characters have far less to go on. Tom Nook not getting in 100% has to do with Sakurai seeing him/AC characters as Pacifistic in nature. He was developing a moveset for Animal Crosser, so that isn't the problem.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It wasn't actually Mario who whacked Mack the Knife, it was Nook.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You realize how Subjective that excuse is right? Tons of characters have far less to go on. Tom Nook not getting in 100% has to do with Sakurai seeing him/AC characters as Pacifistic in nature. He was developing a moveset for Animal Crosser, so that isn't the problem.
Well yes, but all the other less fighting-friendly either had moves ready, huge amounts of inspiration (ie: the Ice Climbers teaming together), or in the case of smash 64 roster (specifically Fox and Captain Falcon), had their creator, Shigeru Miyamoto helping to create their move set with attacks he had probably long envisioned.

Plus let's be honest. When we think of Animal Crossing, we think of cute little creatures in a cute little village. Everything is cute. There is no "fighting." Pokémon may have some cute Pokémon, but the series revolves around one thing: fighting. Captain Olimar uses the Pikmin to fight so he can escape the planet or collect treasures. Ice Climbers climb a never-ending mountain by fighting various enemies. Captain Falcon races, but he has fought in cut scenes and in anime and manga before. Star Fox was always about ship to ship rail shooter fighting, even before Adventures brought the crew out of their ships.

All series in smash so far have had fighting in some way as far as I know. (I don't know much about Game and Watch, but I assume he at least has to avoid enemies in some of his games, which is a form of avoiding fighting, thus fighting is a theme). Heck, most of every series in smash revolves around fighting, even though there is minimal if any graphic violence.

Also, what about Sakurai developing Animal Crossing characters in smash=??? Do you have a link for proof or something=???

I'm not sure why you would choose an Animal Crossing human character over Miis. You could make Animal Crossers as alternate outfits, sure. But over Mii=??? I don't see that happening.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm not sure why you would choose an Animal Crossing human character over Miis. You could make Animal Crossers as alternate outfits, sure. But over Mii=??? I don't see that happening.
You realize they are both big series and not interchangeable, right?

I'm not sure what you're going on about with that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it comes down to mii's or animal crossing characters, I'd rather have mii's.

THat way I can have a smash battle between Obama and Michael Jackson
'
Agree with Oasis. Why would it be between those two?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Animal Crossing and Mii's....don't have anything to do with eachother.

If you want a link, you could ask Chrono or someone else. I don't have one. It's a rumor...or not? I'm not sure. It's a rumor that's probably true. But if you ask someone else who keeps links, they'll confirm it for you.

Basically, I'm going to say it again... your reasoning is subjective, and the only subjective reasoning that counts is Sakurai's. Which we already know his verdict on the series.

Basically, it's a stupid reason, but because it was decided by someone important, it becomes final. I'm not going to argue about Tom Nook's viability when you already stated that he could work, and be an amazingly awesome character.

Really, I just hate where this topic went. Oasis. What would Johnknight look like?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
MAN, I just don't get Tom Nook. Animal Crossing is all about YOU moving into a new place AND JUNK. The main human character isn't so unrecognizable that they would need to use a side character. Even worse, some suggest Tom Nook could do the things THE HUMAN ACTUALLY DOES when he does not do those things. I mean, sure it's not a stretch to say that he could, BUT IT'S THE OPPOSITE SITUATION TO NESS. GIVING A SIDE CHARACTER THE MOVES OF THE MAIN CHARACTER. I dunno man. I just don't get it. Not to mention it's confirmed that Sakurai had the human character in mind anyway.

Though I'm not sure where that rumor came from that Sakurai had a moveset already for him? That sounds an awful lot like that false report of "At first we just wanted Smashville, and eventually that led to adding seasons, and even an Animal Crossing character!" I only remember him saying in an Iwata Asks interview that he felt it was important to include things like Nintendogs and Animal Crossing since they are big franchises and seeing their STUFF in Smash would make many people happy, but that they wouldn't work as playable characters since THAT WOULD NOT BE IN THEIR NATURE. Something like that. Maybe I should read it again, though I don't think he mentioned anyone by name. There was just a picture of the human character and a Nintendog to go along with it.

This thing:

That was longer than I thought.

AAAND, I dunno what Johnknight would be. Too sleepy and hungry to think.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well OHWELL.

I was thinking, doesn anyone else get these "feelings" or preminitions about character inclusions? I originally turned to Dixie because I just....don't know... about King K. Rool. Same goes for Ridley. This wouldn't be weird normally, but these are two OHEMGEE LEIK THEYULL BE INNN characters.

Oasis, your *** has been here for a while, do you recall any Brawl preminitions you had that came true/ended up being false? I think my disappointment in Brawl's roster has left it's definite mark on me. Everything sounds too good to be true, just like Pre-Brawl, and then look what we got. Something I was more than slightly disappointed in after the initial fangasms wore off.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I can think of ONE BIG ONE that ended up being false.
Deoxys right?.....:awesome: Preminitions are BAD FEELINGS, so if you're talking about Ridley it would be that you had a bad feeling about him, and it came TRUE. IF your preminition was false, then....Ridley would have been in.

Where is SSBF? I wanna ask him why HE IS SO ROSTER WEARY. I mean, I don't think he was around Pre-Brawl. He's younger than me, (I think) and I hardly recall anything that was said, and I was ACTUALLY AROUND then. For a few months anyways.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You and your WORDS.

UH. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything.
*Karin Laugh* OuahHAHAHA! *Eyes rolled back in my head while laughing*

YOU FOOL. Have you noticed it always ends up being only us on this late? And we are usually at least mildly off topic? And talking about other posters like a good Karin would~

Who would piss you off more if they got in before Ridley?

Rosalina, or Waluigi?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Rosalina.

I think Waluigi would be more interesting, and we could have Mario Bros. vs. Wario Bros battles

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would want Rosalina to be extremely broken. Like, disgustingly broken. Like being able to float zero gravity, FOREVER and being able to spam start peices while she floats.Too high for you to hit.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think they should try and add daisy. I bet they could think up an exotic moveset based on how different Sarasha land or whatever is than the mushroom kingdom

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think they should try and add daisy. I bet they could think up an exotic moveset based on how different Sarasha land or whatever is than the mushroom kingdom
Back when I was a Daisy fanboy (I've moved on to furrier things) I used to suggest a "Cammy" type moveset based off of her striker stuff. Like, dive kicks, ball shotsgiggity and whatnot. Basically she woud be a very sportsy character.

Sassafrass land er, whatever it is...what Mario game is that from?

Psycho Icky, how old are you?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If Sakurai had nothing nice to say about Wario Land, I'm guessing the same would apply to Mario Land.

Daisy - a poor woman's Peach? :awesome:

...If he felt Wario was too derivative of Mario, then that's at least good news since he would probably have EVEN MORE NEGATIVE OPINIONS on Waluigi.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Back when I was a Daisy fanboy (I've moved on to furrier things) I used to suggest a "Cammy" type moveset based off of her striker stuff. Like, dive kicks, ball shotsgiggity and whatnot. Basically she woud be a very sportsy character.

Sassafrass land er, whatever it is...what Mario game is that from?

Psycho Icky, how old are you?
Sarasaland is from Mario Land on the game boy

It's the game Daisy originated in.

Mario has to stop the evil Tatanga, who has kidnapped Daisy.

It features interesting locations, such as a desert zone based on ancient eqypt where you fight a sphynx and an underwater world where you ride in a sub.

Tatanga turned out to be working for Wario, as shown in Mario Land 2

Daisy was also in the Super Mario movie, instead of peach, strangely

Edit: I'm old enough to have had a gameboy that required 4 AA batteries

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If Sakurai had nothing nice to say about Wario Land, I'm guessing the same would apply to Mario Land.

Daisy - a poor woman's Peach? :awesome:

...If he felt Wario was too derivative of Mario, then that's at least good news since he would probably have EVEN MORE NEGATIVE OPINIONS on Waluigi.
"Mr. Sakurai, what are your views on Waluigi?"

*slowly looks up from his Kid Icarus coloring book*

"**** EM."

Daisy can't EVEN AFFORD BLEACH FOR HER HAIR. She has to buy yellow, which EVVVVVVVVERYONE KNOWS is the less-cool/cheap color that the lesser ladies of ANYTHING wear. *Looks at the yellow powerranger* No one loves her. Not even Wario.

I wonder how weird Sakurai is? I mean, his logic around some things just make me wonder... Also, why does Wario fart?... he purposely made him low brow.

Psycho: I looked at your profile ;D

Daisy was also in the Super Mario movie, instead of peach, strangely
Not the worst part about that movie either.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The reason pencil's are traditionally yellow is because yellow was a symbol of royalty and quality at one time

I however, don't like the color yellow. or orange.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The reason pencil's are traditionally yellow is because yellow was a symbol of royalty and quality at one time

I however, don't like the color yellow. or orange.
I don't like YOU.

Watching Super Mario Land makes me want Mario to team up with Star Fox at some point in the story so he can pilot the Blue Marine like he does in SML. Or an Arwing since he pilots a plane as well.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Nintendo isn't stupid. They're trying to make up for the flop 3DS launch with all these cool games coming out this holiday season, and then 2012 is speckled with 3rd party 3DS games. They aren't going to make the same mistake like they did with the 3DS.
I trust Nintendo. They may make some strange decisions (no DVD-player for Wii U), but overall, yeah, they know what they're doing.

Focusing on the 3DS right now and not the Wii U proves that to me. They're not gonna pull a Sega (which is what a lot of people seem to think) and ditch the ailing system in favor of the newest system.

D

Deleted member

Deoxys right?.....:awesome: Preminitions are BAD FEELINGS, so if you're talking about Ridley it would be that you had a bad feeling about him, and it came TRUE. IF your preminition was false, then....Ridley would have been in.

Where is SSBF? I wanna ask him why HE IS SO ROSTER WEARY. I mean, I don't think he was around Pre-Brawl. He's younger than me, (I think) and I hardly recall anything that was said, and I was ACTUALLY AROUND then. For a few months anyways.
Could you clarify your question a little?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Could you clarify your question a little?
I think he's asking what expectations did you have for the Brawl roster that disappointed you SO MUCH to cause your expectations now to be so pessimistic.

There is a 67.2% chance of that being the right interpretation of Shortie's question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom