• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What I meant is, when people suggest a Bowser Jr. to Shadow Mario transformation they'll say "He could be like Sheik!" and when people suggest something like the Pichu Bros or Baby Bros they'll say "They could be like the Ice Climbers!"

To be like another character wouldn't make them unique, y'know? And I'm going to have to disagree and say clones aren't "good" either. :awesome:
I think you misunderstood the point they made. Zelda/Sheik isn't about their transformations in general. That's just a bonus that makes them a bit more unique. Ice Climbers are pretty much clones of eachother, which furthers hurts your point about clones. They play exactly the same. They also have ice powers.

Pichu Bros. don't have ice powers, now do they? Does Pokemon Trainer have the same moves as Zelda/Sheik? Nope. Transformations, partners, that's not what make them unique in general, it's what they add through their own moves.

And frankly, clones were never a bad idea. Showing more iconic faces is one of the goals of well known fighting games. That's what sells. Not unique movesets, but the characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
UH, actually, looking at your roster again, pretty much the only real similarities with it that I was referencing was having both Palutena and Medusa, as well as Dixie and K. Rool. Which led me to cutting out a couple characters I thought would be more interesting choices. So my roster looked kind of boring and ordinary. But I still had third-parties and one or two cuts SOOO. MAINLY I HAD JUST THOUGHT YOUR PREDICTIONS, IF TRUE, WOULD BE BORING, BUT NOW I THINK THAT'LL BE THE CASE ANYWAY.
That'd be disappointing if Smashchu was right and Sakurai just added more characters to existing franchises and added a couple new franchises.

Mario series
- Bowser Jr.
- Toad

Donkey Kong series
- Dixie Kong
- King K. Rool

Zelda series
- Toon Zelda
- Toon Ganon

Metroid series
- Ridley

Kirby series
- Waddle Dee

Star Fox series
- Krystal

Pokemon series
- Mewtwo
- Zoroark

F-Zero series
- Samurai Goroh

Fire Emblem series
- Roy
- Chrome

Kid Icarus series
- Palutena
- Medusa

New franchises
- Mii
- Little Mac
- Takamaru
- Mega Man

No Golden Sun characters. No Sin & Punishment characters. No Starfy characters. None of the characters from Nintendo's smaller franchises. They don't count because we are definitely running out of Nintendo characters to add!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Although I still have 53 total characters (49 slots for SSBF) on my roster so I shouldn't be complaining. :awesome:

That's a jump of 14. Same as the jump from 64 to Melee. Not too unreasonable?!
14 I think is good. Brawl had 14 if you count Sonic, so it's possible. The nerd in em would love to see more though :)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Arcadenik you jerk. You didn't even add Tingle. YOUR SIGNATURE IS A LIE. HE DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SUPPORT. Incidentally, I do only have six new franchises. Sorry, Ray and Starfy. And Shulk maybe. AND MACH RIDER. >:

@HyperFalcon: I didn't misunderstand a thing. :awesome:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
That'd be disappointing if Smashchu was right and Sakurai just added more characters to existing franchises and added a couple new franchises.

Mario series
- Bowser Jr.
- Toad

Donkey Kong series
- Dixie Kong
- King K. Rool

Zelda series
- Toon Zelda
- Toon Ganon

Metroid series
- Ridley

Kirby series
- Waddle Dee

Star Fox series
- Krystal

Pokemon series
- Mewtwo
- Zoroark

F-Zero series
- Samurai Goroh

Fire Emblem series
- Roy
- Chrome

Kid Icarus series
- Palutena
- Medusa

New franchises
- Mii
- Little Mac
- Takamaru
- Mega Man

No Golden Sun characters. No Sin & Punishment characters. No Starfy characters. None of the characters from Nintendo's smaller franchises. They don't count because we are definitely running out of Nintendo characters to add!
Okay, I have two things to say about this.
1. Why Waddle Dee? Seriously.
2. Isn't Little Mac from a smaller franchise? Plus, over in Japan, where it counts, Starfy and Issac are both bigger than Punch-Out.

:phone:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have an idea. Super Smash Bros. 4 should have a new mode called Profile Mode. Profile Mode is when you select a character and the profile loads. You can look through the character's profile entirely.
For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWMiKgv4UuA
That was available in the first game. It was replaced by having 2 trophies per character instead. We technically still have it, it just had to be earned. Which isn't much different from other games like Soul Calibur.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@Iblis: I think I would have to draw what I think of you...
Beyond tempted to make this my new avatar

What I meant is, when people suggest a Bowser Jr. to Shadow Mario transformation they'll say "He could be like Sheik!" and when people suggest something like the Pichu Bros or Baby Bros they'll say "They could be like the Ice Climbers!"

To be like another character wouldn't make them unique, y'know? And I'm going to have to disagree and say clones aren't "good" either. :awesome:
Most of this post I agree with, the uniqueness part to be more specific. Where I disagree is the clone being "good" or "bad", they are both, the double edged sword. Clones such as Dr. Mario or Falco (at the time) were "good", others such as Roy and Pichu were "bad".

Now you may as ask me what classifies "bad" and "good".

"Bad": Negative Side effects, ie Pichu, or could have had an original moveset, ie Ganondorf

"Good": Really couldn't deviate from being a clone, ie Dr. Mario, or had more of street fighter feel and hailed and followed a close pattern even in their canon game, ie Falco

Impressive, but impressive enough to be at the top?

Nah dog, I got 95, no one's passing that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay, I have two things to say about this.
1. Why Waddle Dee? Seriously.
2. Isn't Little Mac from a smaller franchise? Plus, over in Japan, where it counts, Starfy and Issac are both bigger than Punch-Out.

Why Waddle Dee? Because of this. I am not saying I want him because I don't... but I do see him as a possibility.

Nintendo promoted Punch-Out!! more than they did for Legendary Starfy and Golden Sun.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I would have to agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Waddle Dee got in. Not saying I want him either though. (BUT IF SO, he's spear would be unique to the cast)

Inb4WaddleDeeTopTierinSSB4

@Arc: Does Waddle Dee have multiple jumps. I don't think I saw him jump a lot, if at all, in the trailer.

yani_

Smash Ace
I'm starting to think the addition of Mii would be a really good thing. It would technically be adding a lot of "characters", seeing as people make all these character based Mii's ( Shrek , Peter Griffin, Batman , Michael Jackson, Captain Jack)

D

Deleted member

I really don't want more clones. There is no reason to add them anymore unless we get a roster buff to above 50 slots for characters that would have otherwise not have gotten in. As it stands, just ten newcomers that are all unique is fine with me.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
How that be adding a lot of characters?

At most it would be three different character to represent the three generic weight classes. Heavy, Mid, Light.

You fantasize about it being a plethora of characters all you want but when it comes down to it, it's just one of three generic movesets with horribly done artwork over the character frame.

yani_

Smash Ace
How that be adding a lot of characters?

At most it would be three different character to represent the three generic weight classes. Heavy, Mid, Light.

You fantasize about it being a plethora of characters all you want but when it comes down to it, it's just one of three generic movesets with horribly done artwork over the character frame.
Exactly, it's just the point. lol

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@Yani: As I said a long time ago in this thread, I still think Mii's could be used in a derogatory manner. Not that it would bother me, but those uptight parents and officals.

@SSBF: Wanting clones or not I think is more of subjective thing in specific cases. Street Fighter has many Ryu Shotos (I sound like Kuma) and they are doing just fine. Smash's goal shouldn't be all about clones but having them won't destory the game.

yani_

Smash Ace
Yeah, very true

I don't really mind clones at all, it isn't the end of the world for me. Especially if it means getting an extra character or two

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Iblis: The particular clones I have problems with are Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Y/T Link, Pichu, and Roy (So, okay, pretty much all of them I guess, lol). Falco (and Luigi) are by nature similar to their counterparts, so it's only appropriate for them to remain similar. I'm okay with that. Dr. Mario, Y/T Link, and Pichu I feel are just redundant choices. Dr. Mario and Pichu at least probably couldn't be too different from their counterparts. Young Link, even though he could be plenty different, is still LINK. I just think to have DIFFERENT characters is always the better choice. Ganondorf and Roy don't have to be, and should not be clones.

I'm probably just a bit extreme on this issue though, lol. DIVERSITY IS ABSOLUTE!

...Wolf and Lucas are original characters as far as I'm concerned.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Beyond tempted to make this my new avatar

Most of this post I agree with, the uniqueness part to be more specific. Where I disagree is the clone being "good" or "bad", they are both, the double edged sword. Clones such as Dr. Mario or Falco (at the time) were "good", others such as Roy and Pichu were "bad".

Now you may as ask me what classifies "bad" and "good".

"Bad": Negative Side effects, ie Pichu, or could have had an original moveset, ie Ganondorf

"Good": Really couldn't deviate from being a clone, ie Dr. Mario, or had more of street fighter feel and hailed and followed a close pattern even in their canon game, ie Falco

Nah dog, I got 95, no one's passing that.
Epic post son. I agree 100%.

Doc being a full-fledged clone was great for me because it was a slightly different take on a character whose playstyle will always generally stay the same (Mario is the de facto jack-of-all-trades character of Smash, so it was cool seeing a slightly heavier, slower and slightly more powerful rendition of him).

Plus, he's got a stethoscope. How in the hell can you not respect that?

And also, Metal approves of that as an avi.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@Iblis: The particular clones I have problems with are Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Y/T Link, Pichu, and Roy (So, okay, pretty much all of them I guess, lol). Falco (and Luigi) are by nature similar to their counterparts, so it's only appropriate for them to remain similar. I'm okay with that. Dr. Mario, Y/T Link, and Pichu I feel are just redundant choices. Dr. Mario and Pichu at least probably couldn't be too different from their counterparts. Young Link, even though he could be plenty different, is still LINK. I just think to have DIFFERENT characters is always the better choice. Ganondorf and Roy don't have to be, and should not be clones.

I'm probably just a bit extreme on this issue though, lol. DIVERSITY IS ABSOLUTE!

...Wolf and Lucas are original characters as far as I'm concerned.
Haha I understand your frustration on Pichu, Roy, the Links, and Ganondorf completely. We're on the same page haha

I don't think it matters. He is still in nature an enemy rather than a full character. Don't think this game will effect it.
Strangely enough, I don't think this is the first time they've made Waddle Dee a playable character. Don't take me 100% on this though.

Epic post son. I agree 100%.

Doc being a full-fledged clone was great for me because it was a slightly different take on a character whose playstyle will always generally stay the same (Mario is the de facto jack-of-all-trades character of Smash, so it was cool seeing a slightly heavier, slower and slightly more powerful rendition of him).

Plus, he's got a stethoscope. How in the hell can you not respect that?

And also, Metal approves of that as an avi.

Swag.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Strangely enough, I don't think this is the first time they've made Waddle Dee a playable character. Don't take me 100% on this though.
He has appeared in other games as a character, but he's never a major role nor has he ever broken out of the enemy shell. Sakurai could prove me wrong, but he is still a minor enemy, even in this game.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
with waddle dee having some form of shine, i still say to wait until the next installment of Smash 5.

also, we have plenty of characters, why should we dump every one of them in smash 4?
Takamaru... i don't believe he will appear in SSB4, when the next console comes up, and smash 5 is in development, Takamaru will come up. maybe waddle dee considering how he might be represented in a Wii U Kirby game or not.

if we dump all of our old franchises on smash 4, what is left in the past for smash 5?

yani_

Smash Ace
with waddle dee having some form of shine, i still say to wait until the next installment of Smash 5.

also, we have plenty of characters, why should we dump every one of them in smash 4?
Takamaru... i don't believe he will appear in SSB4, when the next console comes up, and smash 5 is in development, Takamaru will come up. maybe waddle dee considering how he might be represented in a Wii U Kirby game or not.

if we dump all of our old franchises on smash 4, what is left in the past for smash 5?
Wa-yoshi Wa-peach Wa-Mr G&W etc

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
We don't even know there will actually be a Smash 5, augosto. Hell, we don't know if Smash 4 has even started development this month like it was supposed to. Let's focus on this one right now before thinking about Smash 5...

@Iblis: Damn straight son.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
He has appeared in other games as a character, but he's never a major role nor has he ever broken out of the enemy shell. Sakurai could prove me wrong, but he is still a minor enemy, even in this game.
Thanks for clarifying.

Smash 5?

We don't even know there will actually be a Smash 5, augosto. Hell, we don't know if Smash 4 has even started development this month like it was supposed to. Let's focus on this one right now before thinking about Smash 5..

This.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
smash 4 hasn't started development... they are still working on Kid Icarus... there isn't even going to be a pre-production phase.

Sigh, you don't get it.

D

Deleted member

For all we know, Sakurai may intend for this game to be his last and try to get all of his ideas out in his game if possible. This would include characters and stages.

Heck, he works on these games as if it was the last he ever created.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
smash 4 hasn't started development... they are still working on Kid Icarus... there isn't even going to be a pre-production phase.

Sigh, you don't get it.
We get the fact that, Smash 4 is reality, and Smash 5 is based on an assumption.

For all we know, Sakurai may intend for this game to be his last and try to get all of his ideas out in his game if possible. This would include characters and stages.

Thisssssssssssssssss

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
let me put it another way... say there is going to be a smash 5 for the next console after Wii U... Smash 5 is announced without sakurai's intent...

what are we left with in terms of new characters? crap.
you can conserve.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Let's say that Smash 5 never is announced.

Crap.

You are left with mad fans because the work you should have done was saved for Smash 5.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
lets say smash 3 was the last installment... i'm feeling wanting for moar... wasn't brawl made as if it were the last?

oh, sorry if i made it sound like smash 4 is being made with the intent of making a smash 5... it wasn't my intention to make it sound like that.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Too bad it wasn't. Also Melee was made to be the last and Smash 64 was originally a play-test.

All in all, this mentality/thought process/logic is bad to have for any game. Because you would always be "conserving" for the pre-assumed sequel.

oh, sorry if i made it sound like smash 4 is being made with the intent of making a smash 5... it wasn't my intention to make it sound like that.
If that were the case why even say things like this?

and this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom