• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Over a swap? Do you realize they don't exactly have the same body type? Unless you are referring to something else other than alternate costumes?, elaborate if you will.

I'd rather have him as a seperate entity of his own, no need to involve and attach Pikachu to him, there is just no business doing so.
What he said...:)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Exactly, Dr. Mario should be either Mario's alt, because again happen to have the same body type, not to mention is the same character OR have him by his own as a DLC if people insist on it.

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Exactly, Dr. Mario should be either Mario's alt, because again happen to have the same body type, not to mention is the same character OR have him by his own as a DLC if people insist on it.

You realize how silly that sounded right? To suggest that Doctor Mario and Mario have a right to be clones, but Pichu and Pikachu do not? Literally EVERYTHING Pichu can know in Pokemon, Pikachu can know. This isn't like I'm suggesting Mewtwo be a model swap for Lucario. These Pokemon are essentially the same as far as smash is concerned. Look at Melee.

I don't think you realize fully what a model swap is, because the way you're arguing against the idea is beyond silly. I would get it if you wanted Pichu to be unique, but honestly, the chances of it becoming it's own character are slim to none. He won't be added any other way, so why not make him a model swap/"costume".

Adding him will reap all the benefits, for almost no cost.

Pichu fans are happy, no one is upset.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, with the new Pokemon idea I had:

Instead of Goldeen, it's replaced with Victreebel. When summoned, it chomps on the head of the closest player. Similar to the Metroid AT in Brawl, but more comedic. It can even attack the one who summoned it, just like in the anime.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If you have to adjust the animations and hitboxes just to make a Pichu model swap work, then it may as well be a separate character. :V

Or you could just have a hideously deformed Pichu.

Awful.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
The same can go for Dr. Mario and Mario. Don't misunderstand; I can see his doctor form as an alt. costume, but at the same time, I'd also like to see the differences added in as well. Throwing the mega-vitamins, his Melee moveset (in case they keep Mario's Brawl moveset), and a different Final Smash suited for Dr. Mario.

If they can do all that, then I'm all for it being applied for the others
Although I'd settle for just an alternate costume if that were possible, I'd prefer Dr. Mario actually have distinction from normal Mario other than appearance.

Hello? That's what a model swap is. APPEARENCE changed, nothing else.
What he is referring to is he'd rather have a unique or at least semi-unique character than just a costume change.

The problem with model-swapping is many people who look forward to that model-swap character are disappointed that they got a costume change and not the unique character they wanted.

If Pichu were added as a model-swap, then some people may be satisfied, but others would not because they wanted a unique character, not just a costume of some other character.

GETTING INTO OPINION NOW:

Model-swapping, IMO, is especially a poor choice when the "costume" character in question is an individual character who has their own defined history in their games that defines them as completely separate from the character they are swapping models with - take Peach and a Daisy model-swap, for example.

In the case of characters like Dr. Mario and Pichu though, assuming the model swap works, I'd be fine with it given that those two examples are the same character as their model swaps - Dr. Mario is Mario in doctor's garb, Pichu is the infant form of Pikachu. It's when you make Roy a model swap of Marth or so on that it gets iffy.

But what if you DON'T? That's what I'm saying.
This entire quote is based on a "what if" argument, which isn't really the greatest type of logic to use.

You aren't listening. I'm saying we aren't getting Pichu as a seperate entity, no matter how much you want him. This is a way to at least be able to play as him
He's not expecting Pichu. But he's saying he would prefer unique, non-costume Pichu or no Pichu, which is a respectable opinion.

Besides, I just don't see enough similarities between the two where I don't see a quick "model swap" as possible.

Pichu's ears are smaller. His limbs, especially his "neck" and "legs" are much smaller or even non-existant compared to Pikachu.

Would I support it if it worked? I guess yes. But do I see it as technically possible? No.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If you have to adjust the animations and hitboxes just to make a Pichu model swap work, then it may as well be a separate character. :V

Or you could just have a hideously deformed Pichu.

Awful.
But what if you DON'T? That's what I'm saying.

In the case of characters like Dr. Mario and Pichu though, assuming the model swap works, I'd be fine with it given that those two examples are the same character as their model swaps - Dr. Mario is Mario in doctor's garb, Pichu is the infant form of Pikachu. It's when you make Roy a model swap of Marth or so on that it gets iffy.
Exactly. The thing is, Pichu is NOT going to get in as it's own character. It's just not. A model swap is a way to make Pichu fans happy. Pichu will never take priority over Mewtwo OR Zoroark/Victini. This is one of the few ways I see us getting him.

Better yet, just have them of their own entities, we don't really need to complicate those characters.
You aren't listening. I'm saying we aren't getting Pichu as a seperate entity, no matter how much you want him. This is a way to at least be able to play as him

This entire quote is based on a "what if" argument, which isn't really the greatest type of logic to use.
It's possible, they aren't that big of a difference in terms of size. It's not a what if scenario, it can be done. The only place I can see difficulty is working with the body. Pichu's head is no big deal, and with the "stretch" factor", limbs won't be either. Pikachu's hitbox for his body is where it get's iffy for me.

OmegaXXII

Better yet, just have them of their own entities, we don't really need to complicate those characters.

As for the Dr.Mario thing, I was thinking more along the lines of just appearance, his moves would remain intact like his fireball, it would look ackward yes.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

What a Pichu model-swap would look like.

Something that isn't quite Pichu, and isn't quite Pikachu.

In the end, no one is left happy.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. The thing is, Pichu is NOT going to get in as it's own character. It's just not. A model swap is a way to make Pichu fans happy. Pichu will never take priority over Mewtwo OR Zoroark/Victini. This is one of the few ways I see us getting him.
In what ways do you see us getting Pichu, if he did return? Tell yours, and I'll tell mine.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah. I give up. You guys aren't getting it. Nothing would have to be changed. It's not going to look like a Pikachu with a screwed up tail/ears. It would look like Pichu and would work fine. The only problem is I see in invisible hitbox for Pichu's body being trouble. Pika has a bigger body than Pichu, so Pichu might be hurt even if he wasn't physically touched.

Invisible hitboxes would be the problem. You know, hitboxes that aren't covered by the characters actual body parts. Snake has a similar problem? He makes up for his lack of stretchyness by having large hitboxes? you see where I'm going?

In what ways do you see us getting Pichu, if he did return?
I don't know. If I thought he would return on his own, I wouldn't be arguing for a model swap.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Yeah. I give up. You guys aren't getting it. Nothing would have to be changed. It's not going to look like a Pikachu with a screwed up tail/ears. It would look like Pichu and would work fine. The only problem is I see in invisible hitbox for Pichu's body being trouble. Pika has a bigger body than Pichu, so Pichu might be hurt even if he wasn't physically touched.
I understand you. I just don't agree with you. :p

I just can't see Pichu being an easy model swap with Pikachu. Sorry if I can't agree completely with you opinion.

D

Deleted member

On the subject of Pichu being Pikachu's model, I would have no problems with it. Would keep at least a sizable Pichu fan base happy without upsetting others who oppose a slot for him..

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
yeaaaa, if your gonna do a model swap it wouldn't turn out right. despite them having retardly similar moves there bone structure would be to diffrent. And if you didn't switch the bone structure or hitboxes then pichu would have some Snake like disjoint!

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Wowowow hold up!
Pichu-ish pikachu is still pretty damn adorable. :3

Uh... Pichu's cheeks aren't heart shaped, you know?

I don't know. If I thought he would return on his own, I wouldn't be arguing for a model swap.
From my perspective, Pichu has plenty of outs. Here's what I see:
- Playable character (either on release; or as add-on content)
- Assist Trophy
- Exclusive poke ball (my personal suggestion)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I understand you. I just don't agree with you. :p

I just can't see Pichu being an easy model swap with Pikachu. Sorry if I can't agree completely with you opinion.
I don't care if you don't agree, I care if you don't agree AND don't get it.

Pichu model swap would be easier than adding a new character, that's for sure.

Yup, Pichu is better suited as unlockable or DLC in my opinion.
You're really banking on DLC aren't you?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
They'd have to reswap Pikachu's voice, ya?
"ka" isn't in Pichu's voice. As much as I hate it, Toon Link and Y.Link would be good.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Are people really so incapable of seeing their own lapse in logic that it requires Toise coming in here and beating people upside the head?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You're talking as if what you say is fact.
IT. IS.

Making Victini would take longer than making a model swap Pichu. With a model swap EVERYTHING IS DONE, all you have to do is fit the hitboxes as best you can, and make the Pichu model.

With Victini, you need to make a moveset, balance him, ect.

Also, I don't think eas size matters, at all because the ears don't have hotboxes. They're never used. Limb stretch makes up for the short tail and shorter arms.

OmegaXXII

I'm totally capable of my own logic and I don't agree with shorts, I'm just suggesting to shorts Toise should come since he litereally said "no one gets it but Toise"

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well I am just saying.

Jeje, Toise. You should be telling everyone to subscribe to Nintendo Power.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
IT. IS.

Making Victini would take longer than making a model swap Pichu.
And taking Pichu, and all his data from Melee, tweaking it, and inserting it into the new Smash game as a separate character is even quicker than adding a model swap version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom