• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
I just thought of something. The only two series outside the Big 3 to get more than one new stage in Brawl were Metroid and Donkey Kong. Both of these series people thought were deserving of another playable character in Brawl. Perhaps Sakurai thought giving both of these series an extra new stage negated them not having an extra newcomer in Brawl.
But DK got a second rep as well, in Diddy Kong. Metroid wasn't as lucky.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I just thought of something. The only two series outside the Big 3 to get more than one new stage in Brawl were Metroid and Donkey Kong. Both of these series people thought were deserving of another playable character in Brawl. Perhaps Sakurai thought giving both of these series an extra new stage negated them not having an extra newcomer in Brawl.
"Instead of King K. Rool, you can have some of the worst stages ever."

What a jerk.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hehe, I've actually brought that point up before in one of my large stage write ups. Inversely Ice Climbers and Game and Watch were the only two series to receive brand new stages without having one return from the previous game. This is not so surprising considering how both Icicle Mountain and Flat Zone were generally agreed upon by fans to be terrible stages.

Going onto another point here. It is for the reason stated above that with the next game I can see New Pork City being removed, unless Sakurai wants to keep it around as a replacement for Melee's Temple stage since it will likely not be returning. This could potentially force Sakurai into a position of having to create a new Earthbound stage regardless of whether it warrants a new stage or not.

Sometime I should show everyone my write up I did on returning stages in the next game. I know I posted it in the past, so it would only be a matter of recovering that particular post again.

D

Deleted member

JavaCroc said:
On-topic, should F-Zero or Yoshi get new stages? Neither series are very relevant now, and they both had good stages in Brawl.
F-zero should get one, but not Yoshi.
ChronoBound said:
A plausible explanation, but I do think that both series will get two new stages, regardless of whenever or not King K. Rool/Dixie or Ridley respectively shows up. But for Brawl, that makes sense, although disappointing.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Mach Rider.
I know many people are saying Little Mac or Takamaru for the most likely retro choice, but I have a strange feeling its going to be Mach Rider too. The redesign Sakurai had for him in Melee was definitely aesthetically appealing. My only concern is that there does not appear to be much for which to base a moveset for him off of, however, I am certain that if Sakurai wants him in, he will have something truly original for that character.

I think Lip is another possible choice for a retro that is often overlooked too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If Captain Falcon was based off a Super Sentai character in Smash, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Mach Rider is based off of Kamen Rider.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
No, what Tri-Hyphen SHOULD have picked for his third party song is this. Instead I let him live in his world of Yamatoman...

Okami - Rising Sun
:facepalm:

When I originally thought up the stage I remembered Okami and yes I should have a song from it. Sorry I forgot.

But oh well, I happen to like Yamato Man, thank you very much. :p

So..who would people pick as the most probable retro choice?

:phone:
Easy question. Takamaru.

I just got a rom of his game, and I must say it's fun and addicting but man is it hard. I can see why the Japanese like him so much.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I know many people are saying Little Mac or Takamaru for the most likely retro choice, but I have a strange feeling its going to be Mach Rider too. The redesign Sakurai had for him in Melee was definitely aesthetically appealing. My only concern is that there does not appear to be much for which to base a moveset for him off of, however, I am certain that if Sakurai wants him in, he will have something truly original for that character.

I think Lip is another possible choice for a retro that is often overlooked too.
C'MON NOW...

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13408223&postcount=42323

And remember, his trophy...

"After the destruction of his home town, Mach Rider jumped onto his machine-gun-equipped combat motorcycle and set off in search of a new home, destroying all the Quadrunners who got in his way. His motorcycle had four gears and endless ammunition. When hit, Mach Rider would break into fragments and then rejoin together."

My delusions aside, does it mean anything at all that he specifically pointed out that quirk about him?

If Captain Falcon was based off a Super Sentai character in Smash, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Mach Rider is based off of Kamen Rider.
Yehs.

@---: I could never get Mystery of Murasame Castle working... >:I

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
"Instead of King K. Rool, you can have some of the worst stages ever."

What a jerk.
"You want Ridley Another Samus?. . . . . Oooooookay then. . ."

Krystal is known to kill Toads on sight. So is Ridley. Actually Ridley and Krystal formed a team called the StarCats. Krystal left Starfox with Ridley, and Pigma soon joined the StarCats, because, you know how Pigma is. He loves to who up in every Star team at least once.

Originally, it was Mario and PIGMA, partners in time.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
C'MON NOW...

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13408223&postcount=42323

And remember, his trophy...

"After the destruction of his home town, Mach Rider jumped onto his machine-gun-equipped combat motorcycle and set off in search of a new home, destroying all the Quadrunners who got in his way. His motorcycle had four gears and endless ammunition. When hit, Mach Rider would break into fragments and then rejoin together."

My delusions aside, does it mean anything at all that he specifically pointed out that quirk about him?
I don't believe it points to anything more than what it meant for the original game. Could Sakurai further develop that idea into a moveset? Probably if he wanted too. I'm still looking for him to take on a "brawler" style moveset with a chain.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe it points to anything more than what it meant for the original game. Could Sakurai further develop that idea into a moveset? Probably if he wanted too. I'm still looking for him to take on a "brawler" style moveset with a chain.
As much as I like the idea of Mach Rider having a chain in his move set, I still want to know what part of his game reference this idea from?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wouldn't mind seeing either a Whip/Chain character OR a character that uses a Bike as his primary source of attacks. Similar to how Olimar needs Pikmin to be a real threat. The bike could be an unbreakable item that only Mach Rider can pick up. Sort of like Vega's claw?

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Hehe, I've actually brought that point up before in one of my large stage write ups. Inversely Ice Climbers and Game and Watch were the only two series to receive brand new stages without having one return from the previous game. This is not so surprising considering how both Icicle Mountain and Flat Zone were generally agreed upon by fans to be terrible stages.

Going onto another point here. It is for the reason stated above that with the next game I can see New Pork City being removed, unless Sakurai wants to keep it around as a replacement for Melee's Temple stage since it will likely not be returning. This could potentially force Sakurai into a position of having to create a new Earthbound stage regardless of whether it warrants a new stage or not.

Sometime I should show everyone my write up I did on returning stages in the next game. I know I posted it in the past, so it would only be a matter of recovering that particular post again.
I think those stages are just there to look cute. Flat Zone paused was always a nice feature to me. And the two "Icicle Mtn" stages are there to show off scenery (Rumble Falls more). I dunno, just my opinion on why they're there, although they are horrible to fight in.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oasis was talking to me a while back for moveset ideas. Oasis was thinking that the whole explosion would be an ambiguous startup into his other moves. Aside from that I always liked stance moves (especially if they play a vital part in a playstyle - i.e. Jill, El Fuerte, She-Hulk, Xiaoyu), it's something we have yet to see in Smash aside from Sonic to a certain extent.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
MAY WANT TO EDIT THAT AND TAKE IT TO PM'S, PROBABLY.

I think.
Oops I forgot so I did change it.

But since it's not a link to a rom or emulator I think it's o.k.

Oh well, it's gone, better to be safe then sorry.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Shortie
Cody's Knife would be a better comparison than Vega's Claw as only Vega can pick it up, and unlike Cody, he needs that Claw. Cody doesn't need the knife, AND in a mirror match, there's only one knife on the stage so it's Smash-esque.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oasis was talking to me a while back for moveset ideas. Oasis was thinking that the whole explosion would be an ambiguous startup into his other moves. Aside from that I always liked stance moves (especially if they play a vital part in a playstyle - i.e. Jill, El Fuerte, She-Hulk, Xiaoyu), it's something we have yet to see in Smash aside from Sonic to a certain extent.
Stance moves... Enlighten me on the term.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I WAS WORRIED ABOUT YOU, ---, GATLIN WAS RIGHT THERE.

I think it would be appropriate for Mach Rider to be similar to Captain Falcon, but put a SPIN on Falcon's moves to involve the EXPLODING AND REFORMING thing. Not exactly necessary, but Falcon is like the evolved form of Mach Rider, pretty much.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Shortie
Cody's Knife would be a better comparison than Vega's Claw as only Vega can pick it up, and unlike Cody, he needs that Claw. Cody doesn't need the knife, AND in a mirror match, there's only one knife on the stage so it's Smash-esque.
I just though of the major disatvantage having a bike on Yoshi's island would be. What if he had dual movesets? Similar to Samus/ZSS? When he picks up the Bike, his moves are Bike based/unique, but when he isn't using he Bike he has this sort of "Beat em up" type of moveset. Think Biker version of Captain falcon? Maybe have a chain instead or something.

Would loading a moveset like that take too long? What if they were to like, make it similar to how when you switch Pokemon, you're invincable while they switch, BUT once you switch you can be hurt again? I dunno. Just a random idea I had.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Mach Rider is so interesting, no one can settle on what kind of moveset he should have. BD

BDDD

DURN IT, I wish I could get past the second level of his game...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Stance moves... Enlighten me on the term.
Well, it's not the best word to describe it, but it's close enough. Stance moves mean that the character is put into a specific state. Characters like MvC3 Jill, Litchi, and Xiaoyu will assume a certain position. Others like Guy, El Fuerte, and She-Hulk do theirs in a run and characters like Vega and Gen do theirs in a pseudo wall jump. Regardless of the "stance", what they can do in this position varies as per character design. The one thing they have in common is that there are followup attacks. These aren't the same as built in combos though. For example, with El Fuerte, from his run, he has several options to choose from and the opponent is forced to guess which attack El Fuerte will use as if the opponent guesses wrong, he gets punished. For the most part, stance moves act as mixup setups, but can also be combo extenders depending on the character.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I WAS WORRIED ABOUT YOU, ---, GATLIN WAS RIGHT THERE.
Yep I saw Gatlin. But every thing should be o.k. now. I haven't received any warning/notice/ban so I'm fine.

It wasn't a link to anything major, and either way I got rid of it.

Although there have been A LOT WORSE things people have posted here. "thinks of Mechawave's flamming"

So lets forget now that I ever posted that even if everything is fine. :laugh:

Also I thought you'd have something to say about my stage concept. :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
For example, with El Fuerte, from his run, he has several options to choose from and the opponent is forced to guess which attack El Fuerte will use as if the opponent guesses wrong, he gets punished. For the most part, stance moves act as mixup setups, but can also be combo extenders depending on the character.
Like Squirrel lady from Blazblue? She has those "shadow doubles" type things.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, it's not the best word to describe it, but it's close enough. Stance moves mean that the character is put into a specific state. Characters like MvC3 Jill, Litchi, and Xiaoyu will assume a certain position. Others like Guy, El Fuerte, and She-Hulk do theirs in a run and characters like Vega and Gen do theirs in a pseudo wall jump. Regardless of the "stance", what they can do in this position varies as per character design. The one thing they have in common is that there are followup attacks. These aren't the same as built in combos though. For example, with El Fuerte, from his run, he has several options to choose from and the opponent is forced to guess which attack El Fuerte will use as if the opponent guesses wrong, he gets punished. For the most part, stance moves act as mixup setups, but can also be combo extenders depending on the character.
Gotcha. I know exactly what you are referring too. As someone who played many a times as Guy during my Alpha days I would enjoy having something akin to his or the others' playstyle. I would be interested to see how it could be implement considering Marth's "Dancing Blade" special is similar in a way to what you are referring to in the sense that it has different options too it. Not significant enough nor to the degree of what you are talking about I know.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Shortie
You got the right idea.

@Starphoenix
Dancing Blade is more akin to Abel and Karin's rekka moves than a stance move. In fact, I'd say it's more Karin than Abel.

On a slightly different topic, what do you guys think of DI not being a universal property? By this, I mean that only certain moves will have DI. This way, you can have actual combos and resets. For example, I can choose to end a combo with a damaging move, or go for the reset and try to get more damage in.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Anything to make the game to where we can have the opportunity to follow up on attacks better is fine in my book. While the physics in Brawl were developed to allow more freedom in the air it was at the sacrifice of the ground game.

All in all I'm not too worried as I'm pretty positive Nintendo Vs. Capcom is going to happen down the road eventually.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Also I thought you'd have something to say about my stage concept. :p
I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE A JERK OR ANYTHING, your stage is concept is great, but I've just grown attached to my own is all.

...I need to go find that Detective Club music again. Was listening to it, but I wanted to hurry and finish listening to all the others.

AGAIN ON MACH RIDER, my ideas for his Smash attacks (which you'll notice usually take advantage of some quirk, e.g., Olimar, Zamus) were...

D-Smash: Simply explodes and reforms on the spot. This same animation is shared for both other Smashes. Since the explosion is the focus of this attack, it causes more damage than the other Smash attack explosions.
F-Smash: Explodes, travels a relatively long distance forward (Think Wolf), and then reforms to deliver an explosive ELBOW attack. Being difficult to connect, this is quite a powerful attack.
U-Smash: Explodes, travels a distance in the air (about a short hop height?), and reforms to deliver an explosive kick. You are then put in a falling state that is NOT part of the attack animation. This allows you to follow up with an aerial. Again, being difficult to connect, this attack is quite powerful. OBVIOUSLY, used against airborne opponents, rather than knocking opponents into the air.

Again, a bit of an illustration for how this would all look~

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In my ideal Smash, you'd have lots of canceling (mostly anything you see in BlazBlue), characters with varying amount of DI moves, flashy, yet practical combos, and a strong defensive and offensive game which allows for high/low and left/right mixups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom