• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taterz

Smash Rookie
n64 controller revolutionized the industry. also was how nintendo has always had the most creative controllers. remove the c stick imo

Taterz

Smash Rookie
yeah but z trigger was first of its kind. you dont need L and R shoulder we only have ten fingers (sometimes less)

the point is nintendo wont let us down with the new 'troller.. they never have. also it is speculated there will be touch screens on every controller

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I thought the C-stick was a hell of a lot better than having C buttons. I'd rather use the stick for Smash too.

You know, I would actually approve of this dude being in. Granted, a lot of people will probably bring the "Too many sword users!" argument, but I'd still like to see him.

Revven

FrankerZ
^I agree with this guy. I've always loved Melee and Brawl around equally, and I've never quite understood Melee fanboyism outside the competitive community. Outside of Meta Knight and Ganondorf, Brawl isn't too terribly imbalanced. Also, I'm not sure what all the excessive complaining about how SSB4 is going to ruin competitive smash bros is about. Keep in mind Sakurai made Melee too, and it sounds like this time around he's going to take balance more seriously. I just can't wait until we get some more info.
Sakurai has stated that he likely will not make another Melee, it was to quote him "just too hard". When it really isn't, it has all the same basics as Smash 64 did, everything that the competitive community does has absolutely no bearing on the casual players yet he treats it like there's this force between the two and that you have to choose a side to cater to.

Furthermore, a lot of smashers don't know about the intricacies of Brawl from a coding standpoint. Sakurai deliberately disabled a lot of stuff that was the core of Smash since Smash 64, this includes non-tumble DI (doesn't exist in Brawl), ASDI while on the ground (again it's in the game but disabled in a certain way), crouch canceling (and no not referring to the hitlag only version, which by the way does prove CC'ing was in the game at some point), and quite a few other things. The fact that they actually had those things in the game at some point and Sakurai deliberately cut them out has me as a competitive gamer worried. Hell, the fact that he took something out as integral and basic as non-tumble DI has me wondering if Sakurai knew what he was doing at all. Because that one small sounding but impactful gameplay mechanic is the main reason why a lot of things are ******** in Brawl (see: DDD's Dthrow, Falco's Dthrow, and Sheik's Ftilt lock).

It's disheartening to have heard his opinion on competition, thinking that it should be a level playing field between competitive players and casual players. He doesn't intend to magically go back to the way it was for Melee. Maybe he'll go back to how Smash 64 is as a start, once he takes the current Brawl gameplay and what not. But I have a lot less hope and hype for this franchise going forward because of his decision to exclude a bunch of things that impact the game's balance so hugely.

Taking out non-tumble DI is not a minor thing and something you could forgive Sakurai for. It's the main thing that caused a lot of moves in Brawl to be utterly stupid.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has stated that he likely will not make another Melee, it was to quote him "just too hard".
I think it has more to do with the time the Melee was made. Only 2 years. It required a lot of dedication from him, that's why he doesn't want to go through it again

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
yeah but z trigger was first of its kind. you dont need L and R shoulder we only have ten fingers (sometimes less)
but Game Cube controller was the step ahead...it was perfect...the buttons came in different shapes so you can recognize every single button without the need to look on you controller....and had 2 analogue sticks and the Left analogue stick was placed in the best place... Z button was placed in perfect place...

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I thought the C-stick was a hell of a lot better than having C buttons. I'd rather use the stick for Smash too.

You know, I would actually approve of this dude being in. Granted, a lot of people will probably bring the "Too many sword users!" argument, but I'd still like to see him.
It's very likely because he is a an ally in the Kid Icarus game that is developed by Sakurai himself.

Taterz

Smash Rookie
the real question is: are there too many characters? on one hand more characters= more fun. but at a a certain point some characters will poop on everyone else (see MK). from a competitive standpoint, how much is too much?

not to mention sword characters.. really ike?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Sakurai has stated that he likely will not make another Melee, it was to quote him "just too hard". When it really isn't, it has all the same basics as Smash 64 did, everything that the competitive community does has absolutely no bearing on the casual players yet he treats it like there's this force between the two and that you have to choose a side to cater to.

Furthermore, a lot of smashers don't know about the intricacies of Brawl from a coding standpoint. Sakurai deliberately disabled a lot of stuff that was the core of Smash since Smash 64, this includes non-tumble DI (doesn't exist in Brawl), ASDI while on the ground (again it's in the game but disabled in a certain way), crouch canceling (and no not referring to the hitlag only version, which by the way does prove CC'ing was in the game at some point), and quite a few other things. The fact that they actually had those things in the game at some point and Sakurai deliberately cut them out has me as a competitive gamer worried. Hell, the fact that he took something out as integral and basic as non-tumble DI has me wondering if Sakurai knew what he was doing at all. Because that one small sounding but impactful gameplay mechanic is the main reason why a lot of things are ******** in Brawl (see: DDD's Dthrow, Falco's Dthrow, and Sheik's Ftilt lock).

It's disheartening to have heard his opinion on competition, thinking that it should be a level playing field between competitive players and casual players. He doesn't intend to magically go back to the way it was for Melee. Maybe he'll go back to how Smash 64 is as a start, once he takes the current Brawl gameplay and what not. But I have a lot less hope and hype for this franchise going forward because of his decision to exclude a bunch of things that impact the game's balance so hugely.

Taking out non-tumble DI is not a minor thing and something you could forgive Sakurai for. It's the main thing that caused a lot of moves in Brawl to be utterly stupid.
This man knows what he is talking about. Good post. :)

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
the real question is: are there too many characters? on one hand more characters= more fun. but at a a certain point some characters will poop on everyone else (see MK). from a competitive standpoint, how much is too much?

not to mention sword characters.. really ike?
I don't know what you have against swords but SSB isn't a weapon based game so Sword,Axes,Lance do the same purpose FIGHTING....

Taterz

Smash Rookie
dont have anything specific against them i always win my local tourneys regardless.

my point is where does a ******* sword wielding bro fit into the game? im no loremaster but im pretty sure nintendo games arent supposed to be violent. how can a game do well if you have cute little balls of love like kirby and jigglypuff getting sliced to pieces by some all too feminite sword wielder?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
non-tumble DI
for those of us who dont know, what is this mechanic?

And i agree with your post. That in a nutshell is why i worry about the future of smash and abit about nintendo since they keep trying to push for innovation too hard.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
dont have anything specific against them i always win my local tourneys regardless.

my point is where does a ******* sword wielding bro fit into the game? im no loremaster but im pretty sure nintendo games arent supposed to be violent. how can a game do well if you have cute little balls of love like kirby and jigglypuff getting sliced to pieces by some all too feminite sword wielder?
What the **** are you saying ? dude as long Link,Ike,MK,Marth,Young Link all wield Swords...and you doubt swordsmen in SSB ?

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Sakurai isn't the lead developer anymore, though, right? I think that competitive Smash has a reasonable chance of being good this time around as long as Sakurai isn't calling the shots.

Taterz

Smash Rookie
im saying i seriously doubt miyamoto condones all this violence. nintendo is a family company and if he were still alive today this would hold true.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

And i agree with your post. That in a nutshell is why i worry about the future of smash and abit about nintendo since they keep trying to push for innovation too hard.
DI of attacks that do not hit you hard enough to send you into tumble.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

This post is "Sakurai obviouslly doesn't know what he is doing. He removed something SO basic as gibbra bubbloria. He obviously doesn't know what he is doing." I've played Smash Brothers since back in 1999 and I have no idea what non-tumble DI is.

First, competitive is just "You fight me." Easier doesn't mean "less competitive." You are still competitive as usual.

The big problem is 1)Everyone thinks Sakurai is out to get them and 2)That casual players (or normal players as I call them) are totally unaffected by this. The reason for a lot of these changes is that these things do indeed make the game harder. Let me put this straight. Sakurai made this game because he thought that traditional fighting games were too hard and exclusive. Sakurai's first game was made because he thought games at the time were too hard. Smash Brothers is inclusive.

The fact is a lot of what you mentioned doesn't matter and the fact that Brawl is the 2nd most played Wii game and the best selling Smash Brothers game shows that no one else cares. All this stuff is is boosting because you can do it and someone else can't. It's just an easy way to get a leg up. This is also an online game, so having these things is just going to hurt the 99% of people who never use them nor know anything about them Heck, most people like the game just fine without them.

It's the mentality that "Sakurai must make the game for ME." He wants to make a game that more people can play and has always continued to try and grow Smash Brothers. And what's wrong with that. What's wrong with more people playing and enjoying your favorite game? I've never understood the blind hate towards accessibility.

Revven

FrankerZ
Basically, there's two main hitstun animations a character has.

Non-tumble, this is the weak hitstun animation your character goes into from weak attacks such as DDD's Dthrow, Falco's lasers, Peach's turnips, weak tilts (like Falco's Ftilt or Meta Knight's jab). You cannot DI during this animation at all, which is why Sheik's Ftilt isn't escapable unless you Smash DI (which DOES work during non-tumble). Normal DI though does not work at all. Which is why you can't get out of DDD's Dthrow chaingrab or Sheik's Ftilt, you can't just hold away to DI out like you would normally in Melee. This also impacts multi-hit moves immensely, even though you can still SDI out of those DI would help with those as well (e.g MK's tornado).

Tumble, you should know this one, it's the typical hitstun animation everyone cancels out of with air dodges and aerials. Strong attacks trigger the animation, like Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, Mario's Forward Smash sweetspot etc. You know how this one looks.

I'm not surprised you weren't aware of non-tumble, it's not really a term most smashers use as far as I've seen.

This post is "Sakurai obviouslly doesn't know what he is doing. He removed something SO basic as gibbra bubbloria. He obviously doesn't know what he is doing." I've played Smash Brothers since back in 1999 and I have no idea what non-tumble DI is.

First, competitive is just "You fight me." Easier doesn't mean "less competitive." You are still competitive as usual.

The big problem is 1)Everyone thinks Sakurai is out to get them and 2)That casual players (or normal players as I call them) are totally unaffected by this. The reason for a lot of these changes is that these things do indeed make the game harder. Let me put this straight. Sakurai made this game because he thought that traditional fighting games were too hard and exclusive. Sakurai's first game was made because he thought games at the time were too hard. Smash Brothers is inclusive.

The fact is a lot of what you mentioned doesn't matter and the fact that Brawl is the 2nd most played Wii game and the best selling Smash Brothers game shows that no one else cares. All this stuff is is boosting because you can do it and someone else can't. It's just an easy way to get a leg up. This is also an online game, so having these things is just going to hurt the 99% of people who never use them nor know anything about them Heck, most people like the game just fine without them.

It's the mentality that "Sakurai must make the game for ME." He wants to make a game that more people can play and has always continued to try and grow Smash Brothers. And what's wrong with that. What's wrong with more people playing and enjoying your favorite game? I've never understood the blind hate towards accessibility.
It's not that I don't understand that, I understand entirely he's out to target everybody. But the most of everybody is not the competitive community so you can't blame me for not being excited for this next game given what he did to Brawl. I don't really care about its success, I'm aware of what journalists said and how much it sold. That's all you ever bring to the table, we're here to discuss where Sakurai will take the next game, how he will come up with something new, how he plans to get everybody. The latter of which he failed to do with Brawl FOR the community as a whole. For me, I'm simply saying that the competitive community is in the minority even though he acknowledges our existence.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Nope Sakurai is the lead developer but he said that he will let his team take care of the balancing instead.
Oh, my bad then.

I guess if he's willing to let his team take care of the balancing rather than having himself do it, I suppose it means he'll also be more willing to do at least some of what his team wants to do for the rest of the game design, or at least listen.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh, my bad then.

I guess if he's willing to let his team take care of the balancing rather than having himself do it, I suppose it means he'll also be more willing to do at least some of what his team wants to do for the rest of the game design, or at least listen.
I hope to God this is the case. I understand Iwata has always had a lot of faith in Sakurai, but it takes more than one man to get a job this huge done with high quality. And besides, with more people on board to help balance the game, this means that balancing process, in theory, speeds up.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
A random though came across my mind and I thought maybe pressing Special + Attack(A+b) simultaneously should output a new special move.

I mean, some PSAs do this like Gray Fox and Athena, and it would help in increasing characters' movepools.

We could have it work wildly differently for the characters.

Some examples:

Mario - SMG spin jump
Why not just make that Mario's DownB? It can be new and old in the sense that it could give him a hop as well as have a good knockback, and still be a spin attack. I imagine that it replaces FLUDD, mainly because this game is likely to have a Galaxy focus. And, like Fox's and ZS Samus's, this DownB can be used for more than attacking; it can aid in recovery by being a third jump.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Why not just make that Mario's DownB? It can be new and old in the sense that it could give him a hop as well as have a good knockback, and still be a spin attack. I imagine that it replaces FLUDD, mainly because this game is likely to have a Galaxy focus. And, like Fox's and ZS Samus's, this DownB can be used for more than attacking; it can aid in recovery by being a third jump.
Instead let's wait and see SMTanooki...it might have interesting moves...I want Ike to have the ability to do his beam slash...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've been thinking of new special moves to add to the four we already have for quite some time now that BirthNote brought it up. I've had basically two ideas for it: EX moves ala SF, or if the game switches to a BlazBlue like setup, assign atk+B to different versions of specials or entirely different specials.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I hope to God this is the case. I understand Iwata has always had a lot of faith in Sakurai, but it takes more than one man to get a job this huge done with high quality. And besides, with more people on board to help balance the game, this means that balancing process, in theory, speeds up.
Agree'd. More opinions flying around, the better the ideas you might get for the balancing too.

Granted, Sakurai still being the lead developer keeps me in a bit of a worried state. Either way, he clearly trusts his team to take care of a big aspect of the game's design, that definitely bodes well.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I've been thinking of new special moves to add to the four we already have for quite some time now that BirthNote brought it up. I've had basically two ideas for it: EX moves ala SF, or if the game switches to a BlazBlue like setup, assign atk+B to different versions of specials or entirely different specials.
New moves can bring something but I want the game to stay true to the freedom in movement,it's a key element in the game....but the less complicated the better so leave as it is and let's think about pacing games.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
New moves can bring something but I want the game to stay true to the freedom in movement,it's a key element in the game....but the less complicated the better so leave as it is and let's think about pacing games.
I think you got the impression I was suggesting that they switch to stuff like QCFs and DP motions. Not at all. The idea I had in mind was that doing something like this allows more options for characters:

A+B: Power Beam
Y+B: Ice Beam
X+B: Plasma Beam

For Samus of course.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Instead let's wait and see SMTanooki...it might have interesting moves...I want Ike to have the ability to do his beam slash...
That gives me an idea: Instead of the Galaxy spin, he could do the Tanooki tailspin, in which he suddenly has the suit while spinning, and once that move finishes, the suit disappears. And, since the suit has flight properties, the spin will give him a slight hop when used in midair! :awesome:

Okay, on a more serious note, I'll wait and see before I get carried away. Until then, I'll keep the Galaxy spin in mind.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Posted this in the WiiU thread, but I guess I'll do it here too:

http://www.petitiononline.com/gcofwiiu/petition.html

Had to be done eventually.

I'd enjoy being able to have more than 2 WiiUs within one building and being able to play Smash4, thanks. That and be able to still play Melee and all the really good games like Mario Party 5 or Double Dash and **** that I still play to this day.

majora_787

Smash Hero
MAJORA 787

Make Your Move

Set Link-Up Space

A​
Sets that I would consider a B or C rank that make the top 50!

B​
Sets that I am particularly proud of; I feel like they have better solid playstyle among my projects.

(MYM 12) Karkat Vantas
(MYM 11) Metal General
(MYM 11) Jinouga
(MYM 11) Galacta Knight
(MYM 11) Deviljho
(MYM 12) Tempura Wizard​

C​
Sets that I think turned out well. They have playstyle and/or flow, but have some kinks.

(MYM 11) Mello
(MYM 11) Garrick
(MYM 12) Count Bleck
(MYM 12) Sovereign Slayer
(MYM 12) Terezi Pyrope
(MYM 11) Leviathan
(MYM 11) New Destroyman
(MYM 11) Majora's Sceptile
(MYM 11) Len Kagamine
(MYM 10) Trace
(MYM 10) Majora
(MYM 10) ReDead​

D​
Sets I am okay with. The dividing line of set quality, too good for me to consider it "bad" but not good enough for me to consider it "good".

(MYM 4) Zero Two
(MYM 4) Ghor
(MYM 10) Emidius Amarandos
(MYM 3) Skull Kid
(MYM 3) Death Sword
(MYM 3) Sylux
(MYM 3) Meta Ridley
(MYM 10) Taokaka
(MYM 10) Arakune
(MYM 10) Sho Minamimoto​

E​
Sets that I made some major mistakes on... OoC, Generic, OP, whatever.

(MYM 12) Phantoon
(MYM 3) Darknut
(MYM 4) Kiba Inuzuka & Akamaru
(MYM 4) Light Suit Samus
(MYM 10) Doopliss​

F​
Sets that I feel are some of my worst works. They have some of my biggest mistakes, and are the sets that should be remade.

(MYM 3) Ramses
(MYM 3) Guardian 787
(MYM 5) General Camus
(MYM 4) Dark Link
(MYM 11) Uboa​

G​
lol wat was i dong

(MYM 11) Moon Child
(MYM 2) Swinub​

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I love that list, especially concerning the way we can unlock characters. Having alternate costumes would be sick as hell too...I would kill to see Ike in his FE9 Lord and FE10 Vanguard outfits.

I wouldn't miss having a story/adventure mode if it were to be removed, though. It was cool and all, but I don't play Smash for that.

Smashiastic

Smash Rookie
I love the idea of turning the stage hazards off if they are present and not a stage like FD. it could be you select the stage then a window pops up fast asking "Stage Hazards? -Yes -No."

The Character unlocking and special textures/costumes would be cool too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This is probably the best thing to do. Emphasize the multiplayer on the console, emphasize the single player on the 3DS.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Alternate outfits do sound good, though they won't affect movesets in any way. I can think of a fair few right now...

Mario: Dr. Mario
Peach: Daisy, Rosalina
Bowser: Dry Bowser, Dark Bowser
King K. Rool: Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstein
Samus: Dark Samus (can change into Dark ZSS)
Ridley: Meta Ridley
Fox: James McCloud
Captain Falcon: Blood Falcon
Meta Knight: Dark Meta Knight
Wario: Classic Wario
Zero Suit Samus: Dark ZSS (can change into Dark Samus)
Ike: Radiant Dawn Ike
Olimar: Louie
Starfy: Stapy
Sonic: Shadow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom