• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Where is your source on this?
I just posted it. You can look back and find it.
Sukapon was “planned” at some point for Melee (actually, it’s not totally clear. It could have been (but probably wasn’t) the first Smash), but the team didn’t go through with it. Sakurai tells two fans that they probably shouldn’t expect to see Sukapon in the future. In an earlier comment, he said it was “doubtful” that the game would make it overseas.

(note: Sukapon is from the Japan-only NES game “Joy Mech Fight”, a fighting game with robots)
The sources are found in that third link.

Also, Geno has consistantly had votes. (Fourth most votes in the brawl poll) Sakurai HAS to notice this.

There's nothing like actual scrapped character evidence to get you hyped! ;P

ALSO, may I point out that the third link I posted has a MUCH MUCH larger Melee poll in it, so take a look.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai actually began work on Sukapon for Melee, but scrapped him. He said it's pretty unlikely that he will ever consider him again so.....

beebong:(
This will just make him the best WTF character ever then! :grin:

Yeah I know his chances are pretty slim but one can hope.

@Browny Why would you bring up the dead horse known as the Lucario debate again? Was it really that important to bring up some topic that ended pages ago? Now I had to read the same old BS again just to catch up to the most recent page.

Also, that's a lot of assumptions on your part. Did you actually ask little kids where to catch Mewtwo and such? Have you ever consider they could of found out the answer to that question by playing the remake of Red/Blue released in 2004? Maybe they know who Mewtwo is after watching this TV released movie? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_The_Mastermind_of_Mirage_Pokémon

Hell, maybe they found out about Mewtwo from a older sibling or from SSBM. Maybe they even discovered Mewtwo from trading with people online. The point is that Mewtwo simply never showed up again like you're suggesting and that he has made multiple appearances after new generations started popping up.

Steam

Smash Hero
This will just make him the best WTF character ever then! :grin:

Yeah I know his chances are pretty slim but one can hope.

@Browny Why would you bring up the dead horse known as the Lucario debate again? Was it really that important to bring up some topic that ended pages ago? Now I had to read the same old BS again just to catch up to the most recent page.

Also, that's a lot of assumptions on your part. Did you actually ask little kids where to catch Mewtwo and such? Have you ever consider they could of found out the answer to that question by playing the remake of Red/Blue released in 2004? Maybe they know who Mewtwo is after watching this TV released movie? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon:_The_Mastermind_of_Mirage_Pokémon

Hell, maybe they found out about Mewtwo from a older sibling or from SSBM. Maybe they even discovered Mewtwo from trading with people online. The point is that Mewtwo simply never showed up again like you're suggesting and that he has made multiple appearances after new generations started popping up.
you could run the same speculations the other way. but It's been acknowledged that there is no perfect deciding poll.

also browny namesearches

browny browny browny

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sukapon is a long shot, I know, but that won't stop me from supporting him~

I wish Sakurai had elaborated on WHY he was scrapped. Sounds like he just didn't think Sukapon would be popular with non-Japan audiences. Sukapon has definitely gained a lot of popularity since then, though. Just wonder if it'll be enough. :/ (It wont.)

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Sukapon is a long shot, I know, but that won't stop me from supporting him~

I wish Sakurai had elaborated on WHY he was scrapped. Sounds like he just didn't think Sukapon would be popular with non-Japan audiences. Sukapon has definitely gained a lot of popularity since then, though. Just wonder if it'll be enough. :/ (It' wont.)
I remember reading it had to do with technical issues but that was all the back when Melee was being made so it could possibly not be an issue no longer.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Just had a bizarre thought: What if Sakurai revived his character ideas from the game that SSB was originally supposed to be, before it was decided to use Nintendo all-stars instead?

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru is from a Japan-only title for the Famicom, called, Nazo no Murasame Jō.
Here is some more information on the character. http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Takamaru

Just had a bizarre thought: What if Sakurai revived his character ideas from the game that SSB was originally supposed to be, before it was decided to use Nintendo all-stars instead?
That would be weird because they wouldn't have even starred in a game yet and unlike Roy, would probably never would outside of Smash. I would rather not see it happen.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I remember reading it had to do with technical issues but that was all the back when Melee was being made so it could possibly not be an issue no longer.
There is (unconfirmed) rumors that Pit's wings were a techincal issue in 64, so that isn't a long stretch. Plus Sakurai talks about why Mr. Saturn is unlikely and the lack of defined limbs could apply to Sukapon.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
There is (unconfirmed) rumors that Pit's wings were a techincal issue in 64, so that isn't a long stretch. Plus Sakurai talks about why Mr. Saturn is unlikely and the lack of defined limbs could apply to Sukapon.
The difference is that Sukapon has hands.

Mr. Saturn does not

Thino

Smash Master
That would be weird because they wouldn't have even starred in a game yet and unlike Roy, would probably never would outside of Smash. I would rather not see it happen.
I know I'm lazy , sorry there's been 50 pages since I last posted but.. what are the characters that Sakurai scrapped that don't come from any videogame?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I know I'm lazy , sorry there's been 50 pages since I last posted but.. what are the characters that Sakurai scrapped that don't come from any videogame?
There isn't any. As far as we know at least. I just posted a bunch of info on it. Go back a few pages and you can look up everything we know about scrapped SSB characters. As well the brawl and Melee polls.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I also remember reading something about that too. Don't know the source unfortunately. : \

The difference is that Sukapon has hands.

Mr. Saturn does not
This ^

No, it's just before Smash became an Nintendo all start game it was going to have original characters instead. There is a image of them but they were just faceless generic characters since it was only a prototype.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Can I just say, I would have loved to see some of the Elite Beat Agents as playable characters... however, they wouldn't have too many moves... I guess they'd just be dance moves :\.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's not ME you nee to convince, it's Sakurai. I realize how plausible Sukapon is!

Gamingboy

Smash Lord

Totally agree. I'm just thinking of some more esoteric possibilities.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I still can't believe that Roy and Mewtwo were considered further than Jigglypuff according to the Brawl files, but it's sad that both got scrapped, interesting, this means 'Lucario never meant to replace Mewtwo'

Interesting theory indeed.

:phone:

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I also remember reading something about that too. Don't know the source unfortunately. : \[\QUOTE]

It's not ME you nee to convince, it's Sakurai. I realize how plausible Sukapon is!
Lol wut? I wasn't trying to convince anybody with that comment. I was just commenting on that comment! ;)

what is a sukapon
You mean "Who is Sukapon?" http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Sukapon

There isn't any. As far as we know at least. I just posted a bunch of info on it. Go back a few pages and you can look up everything we know about scrapped SSB characters. As well the brawl and Melee polls.
Gotta save those links. >_< Or they should be on the front page instead. I should PM someone about it.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It definitely does play a major role. Just other factors do as well.

BOY do I have a treat for y'all!

Here is the translated Melee polls for funsies.

Andddd Here is a list of characters that were thought about during brawl's inclusion!

All curtiosy of Toise. I also have (somewhere) a link to every character-related idea/inclusion to ever grace smash. Of course it's just all the characters we have confirmed were thought about/planned for Smash. It's hard to explain what that list is, but it's somewhere. Here is what I'm talking about!

Here are the links, interesting stuff concerning scrapped characters, check it out!

Elaith

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonic12040
My imagined roster for Super Smash Bros 4:

Brawl cast minus Lucario and R.O.B.

[COLLAPSE="Newcomers"]
34. Matthew (Golden Sun)
35. Lanky Kong (Donkey Kong, admittedly a LONG shot)
36. Zoroark (Pokemon)
37. Villager (Animal Crossing)
38. Waluigi (Mario Universe)
39. Megaman (Megaman Universe)
40. Sora (Kingdom Hearts Universe)[/COLLAPSE]

Hoots

Can Be Combative
My imagined roster for Super Smash Bros 4:

[COLLAPSE="Mario"]
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Wario
4. Peach
5. Bowser
6. Yoshi[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Zelda"]
7. Link
8. Zelda
9. Ganondorf
10. Toon Link[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Star Fox"]
11. Fox
12. Falco
13. Wolf[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Kirby"]
14. Kirby
15. Meta Knight
16. King Dedede[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Pokemon"]
17. Pikachu
18. Jigglypuff
19. Pokemon Trainer[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Pikmin"]
20. Captain Olimar[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Fire Emblem"]
21. Marth
22. Ike[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Sonic"]
23. Sonic[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Metal Gear Solid"]
24. Snake[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Ice Climbers"]
25. Ice Climbers[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Metroid"]
26. Samus[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="F-Zero"]
27. Captain Falcon[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Mother"]
28. Ness
29. Lucas[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Donkey Kong"]
30. Donkey Kong
31. Diddy Kong[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Game and Watch"]
32. Mr. Game and Watch[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Kid Icarus"]
33. Pit[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Newcomers"]
34. Matthew (Golden Sun)
35. Lanky Kong (Donkey Kong)
36. Zoroark (Pokemon)
37. Villager (Animal Crossing)
38. Waluigi (Mario Universe)
39. Megaman (Megaman Universe)
40. Sora (Kingdom Hearts Universe)[/COLLAPSE]
Epic troll detected...

refugee

Smash Journeyman
No to all those newcomers besides Megaman and maybe Zoroark. Matthew might have a chance but Isaac would be a better choice. The rest suck. Also 40 characters only? I imagine there would at least be 45. Yeah this guy is a troll.

D

Deleted member

@Elaith: Dang, either you have no expectation (Although your newcomers are unreasonable) or you're a troll.

The only newcomers that have a good chance of coming are Mega Man and Zoroark. Even Matthew, despite being the latest protagonists, is less likely then Issac.

Elaith

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonic12040
Waluigi wouldn't be a surprise, considering that he's a weird character, which seems to be Nintendo's thing.

Lanky Kong, well, a man can dream, and I like Lanky Kong.

Edit: I picked Matthew over Isaac because he is the star of Dark Dawn (though admittedly my favorite Golden Sun is Lost Ages).

Sora I put in as a Square-Enix representative because it was in the Sakurai poll as an option, making it a consideration.

Expectations for cast changes were minimal because most characters in Brawl are staples of their series. 40 characters were used because if there is 3DS compatibility with the Wii U upcomer, I assume that the character list will be shared, and the Wii U version will be slightly limited by what the 3DS can offer in terms of characters and stages as well. There was a post I read on the forums that mentioned something about 50 characters requiring that they would cut back on stages. While I suppose 45 is reasonable, 40 seemed easier to manage and balance. With 12 spots going to the original cast, and many of the additions being mainstays of their own, there wasn't much in the way of flexibility. The Lucario spot I granted as a whatever mainstay pokemon happens to be the current generation spot. Also dropped was R.O.B. actually, though I admit, he is a more likely cast member than Lanky Kong by a long shot.

SixWingedAsura

Banned via Warnings
Do realize though that he might not be trolling. He might be onto something. I mean, if a character has appeared in Nintendo's past, it still has a (fairly decent) chance of appearing. Let's be honest here: How many people ACTUALLY saw R.O.B. being a playable character? I sure as hell didn't, and I main him!

D

Deleted member

@SixWingedAsura: He isn't, which is why I'm dealing with him.
Waluigi wouldn't be a surprise, considering that he's a weird character, which seems to be Nintendo's thing.

Lanky Kong, well, a man can dream, and I like Lanky Kong.
Are you kidding me? Not a surprise? The only thing he has going is that he might have move set potentials and that he's an Assist Trophy.

He is hated, only appeared in Mario spin-offs, and just isn't important to the Mario universe. The Super Smash Bros. series isn't so starved as to need him.

Your choices for newcomers are weak. Where is Takamaru? Little Mac? Medusa/Palutena? Bowser Jr.? King K. Rool? Saki Amamiya? Ridley? These characters are much more feasible and much more likely then the newcomers you've mentioned. The only possible exceptions are Mega Man and Zoroark.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Do realize though that he might not be trolling. He might be onto something. I mean, if a character has appeared in Nintendo's past, it still has a (fairly decent) chance of appearing. Let's be honest here: How many people ACTUALLY saw R.O.B. being a playable character? I sure as hell didn't, and I main him!
R.O.B. did have some support over at Nsider. TBH.

SixWingedAsura

Banned via Warnings
R.O.B. did have some support over at Nsider. TBH.
And Waluigi has support here. :D I'm just saying, don't write off characters so easily. I mean, I know there are certain characters that have a snowball's chance in hell of appearing, but there's still that chance. It's why I can keep praying that I'll eventually be able to play Fierce Deity Link. I know rationally he's never going to be a playable character. Assist trophy, MAYBE. Or if they decide to go that far with costumes, as an alternate costume. But he's appeared in a Nintendo game so...you never know.

D

Deleted member

Elaith said:
40 characters were used because if there is 3DS compatibility with the Wii U upcomer, I assume that the character list will be shared, and the Wii U version will be slightly limited by what the 3DS can offer in terms of characters and stages as well.
If you're going to limit yourself to 40, at least try to look at candidates that are the most likely. Only two have much of a chance of getting in.

I hope you are wrong. Completely and utterly wrong. Having the character list shared is why I do not support the Wii-U and 3DS roster being the same.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The second they showed the Subspace Emissary it was obviously ROB in those robes

Elaith

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonic12040
I hope I'm wrong in terms of what they mean by functionality as well, but given Nintendo's desire for a large online base, I don't expect that to be the case.

For not including Takamaru, I just have no familiarity with the character other than as a sticker (which I didn't realize until I googled him).

Palutena I expect to remain as a part of Pit's Final Smash. Medusa is a definite possibility too, but I want to keep Lanky Kong on my imaginary roster anyways because a single stretch attack would amuse me to no end. King K. Rool I will admit is a more likely Donkey Kong character than Lanky.

I figured Ridley would probably remain a boss. Amamiya I had admittedly never heard of. Little Mac I just didn't think would get one of the limited spots and I'm not a huge fan of the character so I didn't give it my hopeful pick. Bowser Jr I just hope doesn't get in, as I expect he would end up as a Bowser clone. Admittedly though, the clone status gives him good odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom