• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
As to Roy getting in, it was actually Sakurai's idea to place in Roy, not Intelligent Systems.
Now was it Roy he asked for specifically, or just the newest lord which happened to be Roy? Because Marth + newest lord makes a world of sense.

I mean, either way I guess it's not too farfetched since, as an FE fan, he would probably have been following the development. Maybe. Though while working on Melee he probably didn't have the time for such luxuries. :awesome:

Lolol@Sakuraitroll

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
ChronoBound is correct on that one. The little known factoid around the Smash community is that Intelligent System has not really dictated what lords can or cannot be in Super Smash Bros. Most of the Fire Emblem content is due to Sakurai's own preference for the series. Which is why we almost wound up with three Fire Emblem characters in Brawl. Ike was added because Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems to ask for a suggestion on a new character. Which in turn IS pointed Sakurai towards Ike. This tells me that Intelligent Systems is not overly demanding over what characters get in. Unfortunately people seem to forget there are other ways to represent games and series apart from a playable character. This is even more true thanks to Assist Trophies, stickers, trophies, and music.

@Oasis:

Sakurai requested Roy specifically. Why? Who knows besides himself. The only other character he possibly did this with was Captain Falcon.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Lolol@Sakuraitroll
Now, Sakurai is a great troll, however sometimes he takes it too far. Like, with tripping...

The year I was born StarFox and Kirby's copy abilty were also born.

My Birth year> Oasis's birth year.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
:o I found interesting news.

According to Serebii, the event Mewtwo knows Psystrike, Shadow Ball, Aura Sphere, and a move that it can't normally learn: Electro Ball.

Any thoughts on this regarding a revamped moveset?
I like that I feel like I broke potentially important news...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Has anybody checked on that Pokemon event?

@ Opposum: Seems Mewtwo know Psystrike which seems interesting, also Psycutter.

Electro ball you say? O_O

:phone:

OmegaXXII

Yeah, he definetly need a revamp and buff in moves

Get rid of disable and confusion, make him heavier than not as light, also a spoon sword move would be interesting to see.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Are you trying to paint the picture that IS wouldn't care if Sakurai bypassed Chrome? :awesome:

Wouldn't he be happy to include a new face? :I
Essentially, yes. Like I said, people seem to fall into this belief that new=guarantee to be playable. Which is not the case in general, nor with Fire Emblem. You can represent a character more than just as a playable character. There are trophies, and now Assist Trophies. It may not "feel" like representation, but it is none the less. As long as the latest Fire Emblem has that I don't think Intelligent Systems is really going to care. The ONLY company Sakurai has expressed having difficulties with is with The Pokémon Company.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Shortshorts: So this is why I'm Oasis_Slippy. Better than the alternative of Oasis_Sucks. >:I
Exactly. Because MY BIRTH YEAR'S S characters are better than yours.

Slippy > Summer

Sakurai requested Roy specifically.
Looks like me and Sakurai have a similar tatse in guys.

REDHEADS.

The ONLY company Sakurai has expressed having difficulties with is with The Pokémon Company.
Probably because you can really screw up with Pokemon choices. Soo many Pokemon would be a mistake as a playable character.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
He can turn invisible. Yes, it's just one gimmick, but it's an AMAZING gimmick. He can do everything Goroh can do, a bit of what Sheik can do, AND turn invisible.
Huh... Trying to wrap my mind around the possibilities....

Sounds like Takamaru could make an interesting mind-game character, at least. Plus, he has his other magic and all his ninja and samurai-related gear.

Nah, Chrono, you aren't alone, I support Roy, too, just not to the extent as Mewtwo and I'm more of a passive supporter like you mentioned.
I fall under the same boat when it comes to my support for Roy. I ain't loud about it, but Roy's inclusion in SSB4 would be a pleasant surprise.

This brings up a question in my head to ask everyone:
What unexpected characters would be "pleasant surprises" for you if they showed up in Smash Bros. 4?

Characters I have generally lower expectations of seeing but would be happy to see would include:
  • Captain Syrup
  • Orbulon
  • Kamek
  • Midna & Wolf Link
  • Dark Samus
  • Roy
  • Pokemon Rescue Team
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Jiro
  • Sukapon

Not all of these characters I see as having really bad chances, but all I question as possible characters chosen for SSB4.

How would you guys feel if the Mario series didn't get a character? Like, if this happened:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario

Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, *Young Link

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, *Mewtwo, *Zoroark

Or how would you feel if Wario got Syrup or Mona, but Toad/Bowser Jr. were no shows?

Reactions please.
If Mario Nor Wario Got New Reps: Technically, we have all of the basic "necessary" Mario characters. We've got Mario - the protagonist who's name is the frickin' title. We've got Luigi, the face of second-banana video game characters and Mario's brother. We've got Peach, the damsel in distress. And we've got Bowser, the main villain of most of the franchise. I look at Yoshi and Wario based on their separate franchises, but based on their roles in the Mario series, Yoshi acts as a sort of "ally"-type character while Wario is more a rival than a secondary villain.

Anyone else is technically just icing on the cake. The "most deserving" is arguably Toad since he's one of the big eight Mario characters, but even then, his role is really more a "support" than playable character and he's even more second-banana than Luigi, who is practically the definition of a second-banana character. Paper Mario, no matter how unique he could be, is an alternative incarnation of Mario - it's an unavoidable comparison. Bowser Jr. would I guess be a secondary villain for the series, but secondary villains aren't really needed when you've got the big one who overrules the secondary one in all cases anyways.

Personally, I think the series is deserving of a fifth, even a sixth rep, but knowing we've got all we need, I'd be OK but slightly miffed with only our current selection of Mario characters.

If Mario Got No New Characters but Wario Did: Since I am biased towards the Wario series given especially my extensive experience with Wario Land, I'd be happy to see a second Wario character. I've never found what makes Mona cool, but Captain Syrup, Ashley, or even Orbulon would make cool characters.

But for Wario to get a character while Mario doesn't? ... I'm not sure. It would be a controversial decision, and I think Mario should get at least one new character before Wario does, but given my Wario Land/Ware bias, I'd be OK.

Wario Land 3DS should happen.
Fixed. But seriously, stay on-topic and try to avoid single-sentence posts.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If everyone followed the "new=playable" mantra than Ghirahim should be a lock. Just saying... Can't have your cake and eat it too.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai requested Roy specifically. Why? Who knows besides himself. The only other character he possibly did this with was Captain Falcon.
I think what likely happened while Sakurai was getting suggestions on Marth's moveset from IS, he got a peak at FE6. Sakurai probably thought Roy looked cool and thought he would be a character that people would want to play as despite not knowing who he is. He also probably thought that people would want to not only want to explore Roy's future game but also the series in general, which Sakurai is a big fan of. And what do you know, IT WORKED.

OmegaXXII

JavaAlligator said:
What unexpected characters would be "pleasant surprises" for you if they showed up in Smash Bros. 4?
Well, let's see..

Orbulon
Phoenix Wright
Slime
Duch Hunt Dog
Masked Man
Ryu (street fighter)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Problem with that is that I can't play his game. I can play his dad's game, but not his. So it didn't work out for us Westerners. :(

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm I was wondering about how he picked FE characters, still this is good news as it does support for Ike to stay.

Although other then that I'm not sure if it helps either Roy or Chrome's cases on getting in.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If everyone followed the "new=playable" mantra than Ghirahim should be a lock. Just saying... Can't have your cake and eat it too.

But unlike Loz, the protagonists in FE change frequently. New=Playable is silly, I mean, look at Matthew. I think the New=Playable motto fits best with Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

Ike was the newest Fire Emblem main lord guy, right? During Brawl's development

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Essentially, yes. Like I said, people seem to fall into this belief that new=guarantee to be playable. Which is not the case in general, nor with Fire Emblem. You can represent a character more than just as a playable character. There are trophies, and now Assist Trophies. It may not "feel" like representation, but it is none the less. As long as the latest Fire Emblem has that I don't think Intelligent Systems is really going to care. The ONLY company Sakurai has expressed having difficulties with is with The Pokémon Company.
Is Chrome not in the same boat Ike was six years ago though? Ike used to be the new guy, and people didn't want to give up on their precious redhead.

Ike turned out to be one of the more requested characters for Brawl in the end. This will probably happen with Chrome too. YOU'RE NOT DISCOUNTING THAT POSSIBILITY ARE YOU...? I know he just seems like this new douchebag taking away your characters right now, but he's probably going to grow on a lot of people.

...But with Fire Emblem there are just so many possibilities that IT IS JUST THE WORST and I guess I don't care much either way. u3u

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Quick questions about this event Mewtwo to the Pokémaniacs. So he has Shadow Ball, Aura Sphere, and Electro Ball. First, isn't Aura Sphere Lucario's move in Brawl? Second, if he doesn't typically know Electro Ball does he learn it due to his in-game event story? Or is it just some powerful move to make him even more ridiculously overpowered? Why do three of his moves revolve around spheres and circles? What happened to being psychic?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ike was the newest Fire Emblem main lord guy, right? During Brawl's development
Depends on when FE10 was in development, if it was at the time then it would have been Micaiah.

EDIT: Wait I looked it would be Micaiah, FE10 was announced E3 06 just like Brawl.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Quick questions about this event Mewtwo to the Pokémaniacs. So he has Shadow Ball, Aura Sphere, and Electro Ball. First, isn't Aura Sphere Lucario's move in Brawl? Second, if he doesn't typically know Electro Ball does he learn it due to his in-game event story? Or is it just some powerful move to make him even more ridiculously overpowered? Why do three of his moves revolve around spheres and circles? What happened to being psychic?
Competitively, you want your Pokemon to have as many different type attacks as possible, I mean my Swampert only has Muddy Water. No other water moves.

This Mewtwo has no story, it's just a giveaway event, I think.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Alright guys, i doubt i've ever posted this game's music, but it was one of my favourite childhood games (and i still have the game), so here it is!

Donald Duck Maui Mallard (SNES) - ninja training theme

This is the deciding level in the game, where you become a ninja. As you do, it begins to rain, and you see the rough oceans with the dark purple sky around them. You then have to verse ninjas of various belts to get yourself to a black belt(which makes you heaps powerful).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To clarify, many Pokemon can learn Aura Sphere, including Mewtwo at, IIRC, Level 100. Lucario is just the move's posterchild, like Mewtwo with Shadow Ball. It also knows Psystrike, which IS a Psychic move. No event story has been confirmed, so I guess they just, for some reason, wanted to give him a nice Electric move, I guess.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Huh? In my Platinum game most all of the Pokémon had some tiny little scenario involving them. Guess I am just behind on the times.

Is Chrome not in the same boat Ike was six years ago though? Ike used to be the new guy, and people didn't want to give up on their precious redhead.

Ike turned out to be one of the more requested characters for Brawl in the end. This will probably happen with Chrome too. YOU'RE NOT DISCOUNTING THAT POSSIBILITY ARE YOU...?

...But with Fire Emblem there are just so many possibilities that IT IS JUST THE WORST and I guess I don't care much either way. u3u
Difference is Ike had a couple of years to establish a fanbase. At the time Ike was also a relatively unique lord. Chrome is barely going to have any time and really isn't looking all that unique. On top of that most Ike fans I see being a little leery supporting him. A lot of his problems stem from not knowing enough about him. From what I have seen though I just don't see him having that "it" factor. Oh well. We shall see.

OmegaXXII

To clarify, many Pokemon can learn Aura Sphere, including Mewtwo at, IIRC, Level 100. Lucario is just the move's posterchild, like Mewtwo with Shadow Ball. It also knows Psystrike, which IS a Psychic move. No event story has been confirmed, so I guess they just, for some reason, wanted to give him a nice Electric move, I guess.
Pretty much this, electric move would be nice though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As to Mewtwo's moveset, all I will say is Spoon. :troll:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mainly it's just new Pokemon that have event stories. This is just a seemingly random move set. Perhaps as a tie in to a new thing in the future? Perhaps not, you never know...

OmegaXXII

Why are people writing of Ike already? Seriously, I'm thinking of writing an essay about all this to show what I mean.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Mainly it's just new Pokemon that have event stories. This is just a seemingly random move set. Perhaps as a tie in to a new thing in the future? Perhaps not, you never know...
That's just what I was thinking. Perhaps this Mewtwo will have something to do with the next movie...? Staring Kyurem maybe. And then those who got the event Mewtwo can transfer it onto POKEMON GREY, and get something special...

WILD IDEAS...

@Red Headhunter: Something like that. :3

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Huh? In my Platinum game most all of the Pokémon had some tiny little scenario involving them. Guess I am just behind on the times.
There have been a few events where you just "Get" the Pokemon. I recall a random Shaymin event that just gave him out. I think it was for his movie or something. I also have a level 100 Regigigas from a random "Here, take this" event. Same with an Arceus, I believe I have two. One random one, and the Sinjho riuns one.

That's just what I was thinking. Perhaps this Mewtwo will have something to do with the next movie...? Staring Kyurem maybe. And then those who got the event Mewtwo can transfer it onto POKEMON GREY, and get something special...
Just like the Shiny dogs for BW?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Then there was that one Scizor event for a movie tie-in...

OmegaXXII

Meh...I don't think it would be an actual move for him, unless he happens fo' be like Mew now, who can literally learn every move, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom