• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe he changed his name to sound more "Ominous"

He probably had a fear of pigs, of all things, and decided EVERYONE should share in his terror

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Ultimate counter: No one cares
I pretty much laughed out loud at this. I wanted to say that, buuuuut I couldn't phrase it quite as funny as you did.

I also wanted to bring up how I would pretty much take the ducks over DHD. Although REALLLLY I would take someone like DK Jr. or Bubbles over both of them any day.

Maybe he changed his name to sound more "Ominous"

He probably had a fear of pigs, of all things, and decided EVERYONE should share in his terror
His name reminds me of a really FAT version of lord of the flies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
That's where I got my quick info. :laugh:

Anyway in Japanese the character "i" is pronouced closer to our pronoucation of the roman letter "e."

So yes it's Pokey.
Hmm...so I guess the name "Porky" was gathered in referance to pigs right? it's strange how in Brawl it's mentioned as "Porky" rather then "Pokey".

:phone:

OmegaXXII

I wouldn't actually mind Bubbles or DK Jr. as well, it's NOT like I only support DHD as a retro choice, I like rooting for the underdogs much more though, at least the ones that have a realistic chance to be considered of course.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Let's add ALL the characters from Mario Tennis

DK Jr

Daisy

Waluigi

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Let's add ALL the characters from Mario Tennis

DK Jr
Yeah, I was reffering to him more from the retro perspective, not the spin-off perspective.

There are loads of retro's to choose from, so take your pick. I'm sure I'll like them more than Duck Hunt Dog.

OmegaXXII

I would only go with DK Jr. seeing as he is retro and all, Waluigi is meh...... But he does have a shot at it.

I found this very interesting indeed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=351CO5_8fbM

There are loads of retro's to choose from, so take your pick. I'm sure I'll like them more than Duck Hunt Dog.
Sadly, that your opinion, you don't see me shooting down Deoxys considering Mewtwo has better chances.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sadly, that your opinion, you don't see me shooting down Deoxys considering Mewtwo has better chances.
You don't see me caring do you? I'm a big boy who realizes that not everyone likes Krystal and Deoxys, doesn't mean I have to get all huffy and puffy when someone shoots them down. Of course, I'll debate about them, because that's fun, but I won't sit here and say "Hey! Stop not liking my character!".

did a little more digging, and saw that Sakurai gave a similar respone about Takamaru in the Brawl poll (!!!). To paraphrase, Sakurai said:

"If the GBA port of Nazo no Murasame sells well, then I will consider Takamaru."
In the same paragraph, he mentions that the GBA port of Kid Icarus was the final deciding factor in the inclusion of Pit as well. He knew Pit was popular, but he didn't think he could be a "top-seller." Lo and behold, Kid Icarus was the number one selling title in the Famicom Mini Series and thus Pit was included.

So what can we learn? Two things: we should be thankful that Pit got included because he almost got the axe AGAIN, and we need to research how well Nazo GBA sold
Found this.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You don't see me caring do you? I'm a big boy who realizes that not everyone likes Krystal and Deoxys, doesn't mean I have to get all huffy and puffy when someone shoots them down. Of course, I'll debate about them, because that's fun, but I won't sit here and say "Hey! Stop not liking my character!".
That's good, now you can apologize to me after what happened during the Krystal debate the other day. :glare:

Anyway good find, too bad Chrono's not here, he's really good at finding sale records. :laugh:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Ughhhhhhhhh Donkey Kong Jr could work, but there are countless more deserving. Waluigi isnt even relevant imo and i wont mention daisy :p
It's a sad list when the best pick character DfreakingK Jr.

I think he could be kind of cool, but I know a lot of people won't like him as a choice, so I could deal with getting Takamaru, or Bubbles, or . . . Sheriff. So long as he is upgraded in some way.

FUN FACT:

Sakurai's "Favorite Character for Smash Brothers 2" was Mach Rider.
His favorite drink is Black Tea. Straight

I prefer, shortshorts.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would still like Mach Rider even though Starphoenix is a total liar. I wonder how well his game did compared to the other NES Classics ports. I'm pretty sure that data was posted here before...?

Oh, Short Shorts beat me to it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would still like Mach Rider even though Starphoenix is a total liar. I wonder how well his game did compared to the other NES Classics ports. I'm pretty sure that data was posted here before...?

Oh, Short Shorts beat me to it.
Damn right I did. By the way, I never realized how disturbing your avatar is until now. . . ducks should never have Ridley heads.

I wish Oasis had a fun name. No innuendos into a perverted sexual life like mine. . . D:

THAT SUCKS.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't DK jr the current Donkey Kong?

Kranky Kong was the orignal Donkey Kong

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Isn't DK jr the current Donkey Kong?

Kranky Kong was the orignal Donkey Kong
Stop being probably right.

But I swear in his Melee trophy it mentions him being DK's son? Well, if Sakurai doesn't know, then IDK. AND BAM. DK Jr. is in.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
ポーキー・ミンチPōkī Minchi

Well since I'm studying Japanese so, I'm not surprised Earthbound's translation has him as Pokey as it's pronouned very similar to his Japanese name.

After looking it up, Porky came around from the Mother 3 Translators who decided to call him that due to the Pig Mask Army. Why he's Porky in Brawl is beyond me, but my guess the same reason helped Lucas to get in.

This may not be totally accurate, but I can confirm his Japanese name is closer to Pokey.
From what I've seen, if there is that line in between the katakana (I assume it's the kanji for one.), that is supposed to be an approximation of our r in words like "for" and "car". For example, I believe Crimson Viper's name in romanized katakana is Kurimuson Vaipaa (Baipaa actually). So I think the intended name was Porky all along.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You mean Donkey Kong Returns?

I would like Funky Kong haha.

The whole Donky kong country series

Kranky mentions repeatedly he's the orignal Donkey Kong that kidnaps Paulina.

So that puts into question if DK Jr. is the new Donkey (New, as in the 90's)

OmegaXXII

The whole Donky kong country series

Kranky mentions repeatedly he's the orignal Donkey Kong that kidnaps Paulina.

So that puts into question if DK Jr. is the new Donkey (New, as in the 90's)
I always thought that DK Jr. was the original DK lol.. not the actual Donkey Kong we know.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
From what I've seen, if there is that line in between the katakana (I assume it's the kanji for one.), that is supposed to be an approximation of our r in words like "for" and "car". For example, I believe Crimson Viper's name in romanized katakana is Kurimuson Vaipaa (Baipaa actually). So I think the intended name was Porky all along.
While I'm not quite sure, I can say though it's not "r."

I believe it's used to show emphisis on the sound, so you pronounce it as: Pookee.

This may be a better question for xIblisx.

Also it's all Katakana, if that line was Kanji it would be the symbol for the roman numeral 1.

pikmingrapeandrape

Smash Cadet
Nope, I disagree, Waluigi has loads of relevance, look at Mario Kart Wii, just because he's a spin-off character doesn't mean anything.

I dont really count spinoffs as "relevant," I mean mainstream, platforming, rpg, etc. Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are obviously the most relevant in mario games. Toad is very relevant due to his playable appearances, popularity, and how much time he has been around. Bowser Jr. is relevant because of his major roles in the last 5 years in mario gaming. Waluigi has one sole purpose: Be a partner for wario in spinoffs. Hes never had his own game, heck, even birdo appeared once in smb2. Btw, most of the spinoofs waluigi has appeared in, toad and bowser jr did as well. Thats why i think waluigi is irralavent as a mario character. :)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Damn right I did. By the way, I never realized how disturbing your avatar is until now. . . ducks should never have Ridley heads.

I wish Oasis had a fun name. No innuendos into a perverted sexual life like mine. . . D:

THAT SUCKS.
At least I left the S to your imagination! Strongest, Silly, Serious, ...Sukapon for Smash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
While I'm not quite sure, I can say though it's not "r."

I believe it's used to show emphisis on the sound, so you pronounce it as: Pookee.

This may be a better question for xIblisx.

Also it's all Katakana, if that line was Kanji it would be the symbol for the roman numeral 1.
I know what the kanji would be for, hence why I mentioned that it was the character for 1/uno/yi/ichi/hi/one.

Yeah, it would be best to get a confirmation from Iblis.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I know what the kanji would be for, hence why I mentioned that it was the character for 1/uno/yi/ichi/hi/one.

Yeah, it would be best to get a confirmation from Iblis.
Oops I didn't see that in your post. I tend to skim sometimes, sorry my mistake.

Although I must ask how all this started up? Heck this doesn't even have anything to do with SSB4. :laugh:

But I will admit I like the name Porky better than Pokey, it just seems more fitting as he's an embodiment of egotism.

But yeah this is a better question for xIblisx.

Luni

Smash Rookie
So, I haven't posted in like a year and I've been lurking over this thread for like the last two days and I think I want to voice my opinion now.

I noticed a lot of supporters here for Duck Hunt Dog, which is something I've never thought of before. While it is a creative idea I think you could easily get a better portrayal of him as an Assist Trophy. I could easily see ducks flying around the stage until one gets shot down or they all manage to escape and then have him pop up and laugh at the players. This could also be a stage mechanic. I just don't see him showing his true "character" as an actual smasher.

As for the toon link vs. young link debate that was posted a few pages back I feel like Toon Link has the total and complete advantage in this one. Yes Nintendo released OoT on the 3DS which shows that the hardware for their newest handheld can generate more realistic graphics than the past installments of the DS line. But Nintendo has been giving Toon Link full support. You can see this in their 25th anniversary section on the E shop on the 3DS. (Not Sure if the DSi has this on its shop channel). A video in that section teaches people how to draw adult link and toon link. The stylized art in the games he has appeared in made the games so exciting and new. I'm not saying that Young link doesn't have his place anymore or that he wasn't a great character, (I just beat OoT lol) its just that the games with cel shaded graphics are almost stand alone from the regular zelda series.

Also haven't seen anything on this even though I'm sure its been talked about several times what do you guys think about Geno making it in? Yes I know there is the whole question of who has the rights to him and whatnot but didn't his theme almost make it into brawl and I also thought i saw a rumor about him being a cut character or something like that.

Btw everything above this is all opinions just so you know lol

Also hi psychoincarnite! My old account was Loooooni but I lost the password for it years ago and I remember you being in threads like this before brawl was out

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oasis_Shush and Speculate on Smash and not my S! Or you'll get the thread loc-... clos-... SEALED.

BD

On Geno, I think it's a matter of if the fans were LOUD ENOUGH during Brawl's development, and if Square lends Slime or any other of their characters. WOULD OPEN UP A DEAL FOR GENO?

He'd be a great character all around. Aesthetically, there's no one else I can think of like him, and he'd offer a nice moveset.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno will get in.

He's holding Sakurai's cat hostage

Geno be praised

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Geno will get in.

He's holding Sakurai's cat hostage

Geno be praised
Give it to me. . . :D

@Luni

WELL, if you didn't know, it's been stated that the Toon series is going to be on hold for some time. On top of this, we have the statement made by someone who worked on OoT3DS saying that "If the fans want MM3DS, say so!". So we have OperationMoonFall going on, and on top of that, I'm just generally sure that we're going to get Majora's Mask 3DS. SO, to me, it looks like Young Link is the more "relevant" child incarnation of Link right now. BUT, you never really know, and I doubt they'll ever be Luigified, or decloned. So I really DGAF. They bring little to the game.

As for Geno, he's got a lot going for him, but has a massive wall to jump over, and that wall is named Megaman.

Luni

Smash Rookie
As for Geno, he's got a lot going for him, but has a massive wall to jump over, and that wall is named Megaman.
I do agree with the wall thing, but I'm starting to wonder how much capcom really values the good ol' blue bomber anymore. I still can't believe he didn't make an appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and the whole cancellation of Mega man Legends 3. I know they claim that the series is important to them, which it better damn be, but I'm not so sure that they are in love with Nintendo right now. At least I remember reading something about that a while ago I'll look for a source.

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/05/2...to-cut-nintendo-3ds-and-nintendo-wii-support/

OmegaXXII

I dont really count spinoffs as "relevant," I mean mainstream, platforming, rpg, etc. Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are obviously the most relevant in mario games. Toad is very relevant due to his playable appearances, popularity, and how much time he has been around. Bowser Jr. is relevant because of his major roles in the last 5 years in mario gaming. Waluigi has one sole purpose: Be a partner for wario in spinoffs. Hes never had his own game, heck, even birdo appeared once in smb2. Btw, most of the spinoofs waluigi has appeared in, toad and bowser jr did as well. Thats why i think waluigi is irralavent as a mario character. :)
Well, you have to consider that Mario Kart Wii as well as MK 7 are indeed major titles and is one of Nintendo's biggest sellers.

I have to concur with you though, Bowser Jr. does indeed have a more prominent role and is quite relevant as well in major mainstream games as well.

As for Toad, he also has it going for him, the fact that he's one of Mario's most iconic characters and is part of "The Big 8" proves he is worthy of a slot, not to mention he us already avknowledged by Sakurai.

Paper Mario indeed is another candidate I can say is probable, he has become popular and also has an upcoming 3DS game which helps his chances by a demeanor.

As to who is most likely I'd say it's in between Bowjer Jr. and Toad possibly getting that 5th slot, of course if Sakurai wanted to expand on it we could possibly be getting both or if we were to see exclusive roster on the 3DS and Wii-U, for example Toad would be on the 3DS while Bowser Jr. could be on the Wii-U version.

As for Paper Mario himself, I'd say he should represent his own series as a single staple, he is popular enough to sepearate himself from the Mario franchise and more into the "Paper" franchise, of course he can easily be in the Mario franchise itself but I feel he would intervene with Bowser Jr. and Toad's chances, or perhaps they would intervene with his, unless we were to have universal rosters were they he could appear in both while have Toad in one and Bowser Jr. in the other.

As for Waluigi himself, I'd say he like "the Dark Horse" choice, he was an AT in Brawl and also seems demanded somewhat, I believe he could be represented within the Wario series, however Waluigi having no mainstream appearance isn't a factor for determining his inclusion, despite that he could very much be in if Sakurai shows interest in him which I have a gut feeling about, alsoo Sakurai can base his own original moveset on him like he did with ROB and Princess Peach to some extent, the point is he can be made to be playable regardless whether or not he has any moves or not, I feel he is slowly rising as a possible candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom