• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikmingrapeandrape

Smash Cadet
Just a question, What did you plan for Mizzo to do? He basically just sits in a random tank in the Halberd that most likely got blown to bits when it exploded...
SSB4 adventure mode would explain WHY mizzo was the only one you didnt fight and WHY he was frozen in the first place. I think it would show backstory on mizzo and e would at firt appear to be an antagonist but turn into a hero. If they did add mizo, i would hope it would be evolved of someting, because it kinda looked retared af xD

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I do need to say, though, that out of all of the SSE enemies, Mizzo was the only one I liked. Maybe because you never actually fought it...

pikmingrapeandrape

Smash Cadet
I do need to say, though, that out of all of the SSE enemies, Mizzo was the only one I liked. Maybe because you never actually fought it...
I just think that if they added mizzo, he would have so much potential moveset wise for the simple fact that weve never seen it fight! xD

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah... Mizzo looks like a Methed out Pac man meets Lololo. I'm not digging him, or the idea of SSB original characters being playable.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@Birthnote

It was cut Meta Knight, or cut Ganondorf. I stand by the twenty I kept.

Also, how well do Kirby games sell? Do they compare to the DKC series?

Well, for what it's worth, DKC 1&2 along with DK64 all made it to best selling games list for their systems. No Kirby games have done that, as far as I know.
I have no proof nearby, but I'd say the DKC series sells more than Kirby. In the Wii's case, both DKCR and Epic Yarn broke the 1,000,000 sales mark; Returns had about 5 million and Epic Yarn about 1 million.

Going from memory.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I have no proof nearby, but I'd say the DKC series sells more than Kirby. In the Wii's case, both DKCR and Epic Yarn broke the 1,000,000 sales mark; Returns had about 5 million and Epic Yarn about 1 million.

Going from memory.
I think Kirby as a whole may have DK series beat, but that's just because they pump them out, or used to pump them out like crazy.

But when it comes to individual sales, DK has got it in the bag. I was just wondering because I can see Donkey Kong having four characters, and Kirby staying at three. Although that could be partly because Kirby doesn't have any spectacular candidates left, unlike Donkey Kong. I mean. . . King K. Rool & Dixie Kong > Prince Fluff and Bandana Dee. . .

Also, is the Smash speculatory community the biggest "Speculatory community"? I'm assuming MvC has one. . . . Maybe SF does?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Sales don't matter much when it comes to popularity and demand, people need to stop taking sales so seriously, look at what a character merits on their own and their reputation rather then sales which won't primarly get a character in at all.

:phone:

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Sales don't matter much when it comes to popularity and demand, people need to stop taking sales so seriously, look at what a character merits on their own and their reputation rather then sales which won't primarily get a character in at all.
First off, I don't take sales seriously. I admit, I get upset if a game I like doesn't do well elsewhere.

Secondly, there are many characters in that situation.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sales don't matter much when it comes to popularity and demand, people need to stop taking sales so seriously, look at what a character merits on their own and their reputation rather then sales which won't primarly get a character in at all.
Sales is the measurable version of popularity. The day you say sales don't matter is the day you say popularity doesn't matter.

You can exagerate a series popularity, but how popular can a series be if it didn't sell well?

IKR? Look at F-Zero lol
Notice that:

A. Falcon was added to SSB64 because Sakurai really liked him
B. He's all alone.

@Star

How would you feel about either of these pairings for Smash4?

Ness & Porky (This makes sense right?)
Lucas & Masked Man/Claus

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hex!!!!!!!! :D

Not much has happened apart from Kid Icarus being delayed. In turn delaying any Smash Bros 4 development. So now people are depressed.

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:
Not much has happened apart from Kid Icarus being delayed. In turn delaying any Smash Bros 4 development. So now people are depressed.
Not really. I'm willing to wait until early 2015 before I start to complain.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Not really. I'm willing to wait until early 2015 before I start to complain.
I hope the Wii U isn't doing as poorly as the rumors are saying. . . otherwise. . . I'll be a nervous cat for Nintendo. I MEAN didn't they use the controller at floor demos, AND didn't they use them in front of closed off reveals? The controllers gotta be working. THEY JUST GOTTA. Not that I even like them that much.

All I know is, the press likes to over react. Remember the whole "THE WII U IS JUST A NEW CONTROLLER FOR THE WIIIIIIIII!" business?

OmegaXXII

Because a character gains popularity through games which have been released over it's course, seriously are you going to tell me that Ridley will get in despite Other M not selling so well? Please, if also has to do with his reputation as a character, don't take it too literal

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Because a character gains popularity through games which have been released over it's course, seriously are you going to tell me that Ridley will get in despite Other M not selling so well? Please, if also has to do with his reputation as a character, don't take it too literal
lol. No, Ridley is not going to get in because of a few other reasons.

EXACTLY. A character gets popular because people play their game. The easiest way to play a game is to buy it.

Sales aren't everything, but they do play a major part. Like I said, popularity and sales go together.

I think both pairs are really good. Not sure what exactly you are asking me though? Do you mean removing one EB character for another? Like remove Lucas but add Porky? If so I'd say the latter might be more likely.
Well I know nothing about Earthbound, but I feel Lucas being a clone is beyond stupid, so I was trying to think of different pairings that would better suit a two character roster. I just don't see a reason to give a dead franchise a freaking clone?. . . I would prefer one of those pairings over what we have.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Star

How would you feel about either of these pairings for Smash4?

Ness & Porky (This makes sense right?)
Lucas & Masked Man/Claus
I think both pairs are really good. Not sure what exactly you are asking me though? Do you mean removing one EB character for another? Like remove Lucas but add Porky? If so I'd say the latter might be more likely.

OmegaXXII

I wouldn't mind just Ness but based on Lucas, like his attacks could be buffed, gain the qualities that Lucas has etc....

In my opinion Lucas really isn't needed since he already plays like Lucas and given the fact that Earthbound is semi dead outside of Smash I'd say he's pretty safe from being replaced by a superior candidate, of course I wouldn't mind Masked Man (Claus) over him at all.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
of course the latter, lol. Porky is in mother 3
Pokey is in EarthBound (even though they are kinda the same guy)

D

Deleted member

I got my start on the Smash community in the summer of 2009 on IGN. Back then, I was pretty unreasonable and once predicted a never-going-to-happen 72 slots roster. But I didn't start to speculate seriously until just before E3 2011.

My most wanted character back then (and still now) is Mega Man (now tied with Victini). Tails also used to be my second most wanted (and even to this day I still support him, but not as much as I used to do). You can guess the character I rabidly support the most. I also currently support the following actively (ones I feel somewhat optimistic about its chances):

- Mega Man
- King K. Rool
- Ridley
- Saki Amamiya
- Starfy
- Lip
- Mewtwo
- Takamaru
- Paper Mario
- Little Mac
- Slime
- Layton

@Arcadenik: Personally, I'd prefer to keep as many of the Brawl vets as possible (all if it can be done). If you ask me, ten newcomers isn't really that big of a deal to me as it would make me pretty happy. What would you think of my prediction roster?
--- said:
Now I must go, so I'll leave you all to speculate and decide your own opinions on the matter. Just don't flame me if this isn't what you thought it was.
Interesting piece of information. I sincerely expect the original twelve to stay and this further helps it.
Metal Overlord said:
That honor belongs to Wolf, IMO (and I actually love Wolf as a character, I just strongly dislike that he was a semi-clone, especially since we already had a semi-clone of Fox). I do agree with Lucas, however.
Not really. Wolf is a Final Smash and four Specials away from being completely unique. Lucas is a worse case. Personally, if I had to cut Brawl vets (which I would prefer not to do), Lucas (and Toon Link) would be the top of the chopping block.

@Shortiecanbrawl (#41585): Four slots would be awful as I only see Zoroark being a Lucario replacement in that situation. I would be happy with the other scenario's thought, but I consider the second "play it safe" scenario to be the most likely.

Personally, if I had to guess the remaining two from the five slot "safe scenario", I would say Mewtwo and Victini. For my preference:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer (Red)
Mewtwo
Scizor
Deoxys
Lucario
Victini
Genesect
Meloetta
BirthNote said:
Has anyone ever thought of the audience booing a certain player? Like, if someone was being a scoundrel--doing things that nobody liked throughout the match, how do you think people would react to hearing an unhappy crowd?
I'd enjoy it as it would make the battle seem more likely.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'd love Porky in a resized EarthBoumd spider mech. I don't care what people say about three MOTHER characters. Porky would be incredible! Having a mech-fighter akin to Tron Bonne or Dr. Wily, even MODOK would be so fun to play as.

OmegaXXII

Well, it's not so much having 3 MOTHER characters, more like uniqueness towards a said character, heck I would not mind 3 MOTHER reps if it were Ness along with Masked Mand and Porky, they all would be unique and would necessarly play similar to each other, I guess it just depends what route Sakurai wants to take in terms of choices towards Earthbound, IMO I don't want too see both Ness and Lucas just like they were in Brawl, I'd rather get him replaced by Porky, ultimetly we could just get both Ness and Lucas along with a 3rd rep I guess, though Lucas wouldn't be missed much IMO if Ness acquired his attributes.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Sales aren't everything, but they do play a major part. Like I said, popularity and sales go together.
Not trying to disagree with you, but sometimes piracy can affect sales, even if the game is quite popular[has nice fanbase].
Some DS and Wii games had this problem, for example. But mostly for obscure series, like Hotel Dusk, Elite Beat Agents, and stuff like that.

of course the latter, lol. Porky is in mother 3
Pokey is in EarthBound (even though they are kinda the same guy)
Kinda? Aren't they the SAME guy, period?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is almost unreal. For years, I thought I was the only Duck Hunt Dog supporter. I remember I used to support him all the time on the old Nsider board from 2002 to 2007 (when it closed down). I got flamed all the time... everyone were telling me that it was a stupid idea and they listed reasons why the dog should not be in Brawl:

- he never fought before (counter: R.O.B.)
- he runs on four legs, he can't stand on two legs (counter: Ivysaur)
- he had only one game (counter: Ice Climbers)
- he doesn't have any moves! (counter: R.O.B.)
- adding him will hurt the sales! (counter: adding a character does not hurt the sales any more than NOT adding a character)
- it is a stupid/bad idea! (counter: it is your opinion, not Sakurai's opinion)
- I hate him! (counter: so? you aren't Sakurai)
- he looks boring and wouldn't have an unique moveset (counter: then you aren't creative enough to think outside the box)
- no one is asking for him! (counter: just because a character isn't heavily requested doesn't mean they can't get in)
- he isn't relevant (counter: Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, etc.)
Ultimate counter: No one cares

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yes, Porky and Pokey are the same person. When EarthBound was released in the West "Porky" was translated to "Pokey" for some reason. Personally I prefer "Pokey".

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wasn't Porkey approximated to Po'oki? I can see why the made that mistake originally.

After seeing that UMvC3's gonna have Phoenix Wright of all people, I believe anything is possible, especially with these "out of place" characters. Characters like Duck Hunt Dog and Tom Nook could easily be the Smash equivalent of these character "archtypes". I'm not calling them archetypes necessarily because that refers to playstyles and not the way moves are implemented. If you had to give a name to these type of characters though, I'd call it "fighting by not fighting" (ironically, this is what Jeet Kune Do aims for) characters (also gets around that little loop hole).

OmegaXXII

Ultimate counter: No one cares
Doesn't mean Sakurai won't though, that's just the general public you're referring to? Give me one good reason why Sakurai wouldn't consider DHD?

Yes, Porky and Pokey are the same person. When EarthBound was released in the West "Porky" was translated to "Pokey" for some reason. Personally I prefer "Pokey".
Oh, it's just a variation of the name, hmm.. I see.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
What's the japanese spelling? Is it "poruki?" or "Poki?" or totally different?

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What's the japanese spelling? Is it "poruki?" or "Poki?" or totally different?
ポーキー・ミンチPōkī Minchi

Well since I'm studying Japanese so, I'm not surprised Earthbound's translation has him as Pokey as it's pronouned very similar to his Japanese name.

After looking it up, Porky came around from the Mother 3 Translators who decided to call him that due to the Pig Mask Army. Why he's Porky in Brawl is beyond me, but my guess the same reason helped Lucas to get in.

This may not be totally accurate, but I can confirm his Japanese name is closer to Pokey.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Poki Fire! Poki Ice!

He should do that instead of saying PK

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
According to THIS it's Poki, it's safe to assume so lol

That's where I got my quick info. :laugh:

Anyway in Japanese the character "i" is pronouced closer to our pronoucation of the roman letter "e."

So yes it's Pokey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom