• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Sakurai Interview: Smash Bros DS and 4 news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
I'drather have an okay stage builder than not one at all!
Bring back Mewtwo! Sheesh why'd he get cut??! And if everyne says he sucked.... well um, duh make him better..!
But hmm maybe he's one of the guys that got cut during production? I'd like to think so....
Make Dr. mario a costume....
Hmmmmmmm, trying to think of other costumes for more characters :)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think I know how to make the best Smash and to really make it something the fans and even Sakurai himself find ideal. I am hard at work crafting Smash 4, however, don't be mislead I am not making a game but merely an extremely detailed topic as to what my ideal Smash 4 would be. I have been working on this for months, and the amount of detail put into it so far is simply staggering.
I always thought the best thing to do was get a Japanese, American, and PAL version of each of the three smash bros. games, mix their data together, see what you get, and add a few characters in there! :laugh: Anyways...I'm sure whatever you come up with will be good. But don't pressure yourself too much with time.

Also the Smash DS idea still sounds great. We could have lots of handheld reps instead of console reps. All of the original 12 (maybe get a different variation of Link, such as Toon Link again; plus maybe a few more veterans), More Pokémon reps then Mario (again), Zelda handheld characters *kills TP Link*, Dixie instead of Diddy, RIDLEY! (instead of Zero Suit Samus), Issac, Mewtwo, a handheld Fire Emblem character (*coughRoycough*), have Fox as the only Star Fox rep (I'm sick of seeing those space animals being overrepped since Melee), Kamek, Sonic and Snake (if Nintendo can get them again), and Megaman if Nintendo can get him.

I think we all should've learned by now that no one is a shoe-in.
Agreed for the most part. R.I.P. Ridley, Krystal, and others. *cries*

Well, Sakurai already suggested that Smash 4 would more than likely have 50 characters so that works out just fine. Just so that we can somewhat have a taste of what you're going to say, what would you say the main priority of Smash 4 should be?
Definitely to be everything all three smash games before it were and were not in one package. Topping the series with it's own "rules", and then destroying it with ground-breaking rule-breaking crazy awesome stuff. Make it have the combat control that smash 64 (though maybe not as ridiculous [and amazing] combos! XD), the ridiculously amazing techniques of Melee, and the strategic elements of Brawl. Add those together-and top each game in it's own best category. Also, get ride of that ridiculous lag from aerial attacks, especially for heavy characters (automatic L-cancelling, in other words). That's the only technique that I really don't understand why it wasn't in the game, along with Melee and smash 64-esk dash dancing (but that's fairly minor).

It would be cool if they made :

SMB : Melee : Turbo
Super SMB : Melee : Turbo
SMB : Melee : World Warriors
SMB : Melee : New challengers
SMB : Melee : Turbo HD Remix.
Super Mario Bros. Melee what? :laugh: Nah-nah, I'm just playing with ya! XD I don't think I know any smash fan who WOULDN'T buy a SSB64, Melee, or Brawl expansion game. A standalone game would be better, though.

As for this "Get ride off all extra features crap"...seriously, wtf? You know different people specialize in making different stuff, right? Obviously a lot of outside sources helped with those, and someone (probably Sakurai) wrote all those out. Most of those are made by different teams and whatnot, and a lot of it came from outside sources (as in other Nintendo-owned companies and departments). It's like saying "screw graphics, make the game". You aren't doing anything. The people who make the physics and the people who make the character models and lighting are different people and have different jobs. Geesh... >_>

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai added new minigames in Smash 4 like a Kart Racer (which would be AWESOMESAUCE btw).

But, if Ridley, K. Rool, Megaman, Captain Syrup & Geno make it in, i'll be happy enough :)

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Um...I'm gonna have to say no. The control scheme for one wouldn't do it for me at all. I'd have to basically learn how to play SSB all over again if I had to play it on the DS. I need my Gamecube Wavebird. I won't use anything else.

Two, I believe we're getting the short end of the stick here. Sakurai knows he left some "essentials" out of Brawl. We all know what they are. *coughwavedashingcoughcoughmegamancoughcoughdarksamuscoughcough* <----Yeah that stuff. Now, if he wants to do a touch up, then why not come out with "Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Special Edition" for the Wii to add those things in?

So yeah...I'm gonna say "nay" on the whole SSB DS idea.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I'd love to see a DS version, although it probably wouldn't have many tournaments :ohwell: and the lag would be ten times worse.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
How about no........................

i suggest that sakurai would stop thinking wat hes thinking take a deep breath and then finally realizes the best idea pick 10 people that are huge fans of super smash bros(that are kinda pro) from each big countries like the US japan europe(wow i didnt mention my home country but oh wells not big enough) each person gets to choose 2 things they want in brawl they add all those ideas together then they vote on then each votes and idea they want(basically there should be 30 things that can go into brawl.(if not they can limit i guess.

Things i dont want in brawl:broken moves:ROB spining down smash things like that just 1 of my ideas i dont know wat to pick as my second idea still
That's a horrible idea. Look at the SSB4 topic. Those are some of the worst rosters I've ever seen. I dont what THAT to be smash.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
50 characters WOULDN'T make a better game?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Naw naw, you guys, hes right. For the next game there should be no multiplayer and ALL subspace emissary 2. Just a one player game with 5 characters would be INCREDIBLE!

SSE was awful, Coin Launcher is awful, Tripping is awful, more characters are GOOD. THINK! USE YOUR MIND!

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
What I want to know is why does Halo 3 constantly add on new stages and downloadable content...

....and Brawl doesn't? (Yeah yeah yeah, I'm fully aware of the stage builder thank you very much.)

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
50 characters WOULDN'T make a better game?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Naw naw, you guys, hes right. For the next game there should be no multiplayer and ALL subspace emissary 2. Just a one player game with 5 characters would be INCREDIBLE!

SSE was awful, Coin Launcher is awful, Tripping is awful, more characters are GOOD. THINK! USE YOUR MIND!
Douche.

Ever heard of a game being successful based on gameplay? Board the platforms and race to the finish would have, as an example, been welcomed with open arms in Brawl (alas, they didnt show up). These aspects of the game where great, not because how many characters you could do it with, it was the mechanics of it all.
And yes, i'm putting words into your mouth.

More characters =/= Better game. The customer is NOT always right.

EDIT: At shadenexus18, the Wii lacks an internal hard-drive. Thus such updates wont be happening, at all. Shame, i know :s

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Douche.

Ever heard of a game being successful based on gameplay? Board the platforms and race to the finish would have, as an example, been welcomed with open arms in Brawl (alas, they didnt show up). These aspects of the game where great, not because how many characters you could do it with, it was the mechanics of it all.
And yes, i'm putting words into your mouth.

I'll admit it. I'm a customer/consumer and I'm SO not always right.

That and I'm never satisfied. :chuckle: To this day I'm still moaning the fact that Dark Samus, Vaati, and Krystal didn't make it to Brawl.

Other than the word "douche" you made a nice post. ^^

Fluke

Smash Journeyman

That and I'm never satisfied. :chuckle: To this day I'm still moaning the fact that Dark Samus, Vaati, and Krystal didn't make it to Brawl.

You have a nice sig.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l

We all wish a certain character was in but just be happy with what we have. Quality of the game is still great.

Also those saying a DS version wouldn't work should play Jump Ultimate Stars

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Why be happy with what we have? What we have isn't that great, to be honest. I got bored with Brawl REALLY fast. The character roster sucks, and it could have been so much better.

I'm hoping that, at least, is improved upon greatly in the next SSB.

If people were always happy with what they got, nothing better would ever be created.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Why be happy with what we have? What we have isn't that great, to be honest. I got bored with Brawl REALLY fast. The character roster sucks, and it could have been so much better.

I'm hoping that, at least, is improved upon greatly in the next SSB.

If people were always happy with what they got, nothing better would ever be created.
As many people mentioned when Brawl went out in Japan: The Roster is the WORST part of the game. The rest is gold.

If there is a Smash Bros for another console (NOT handled) then I place my bets for 48 characters, maybe less.

Sorry if this number seems low for SSB4, Brawl gave me a huge dissapointment with the number of characters, I DO NOT COUNT transformations/swaps as multiple characters.

FallenShadow

Smash Rookie
As many people mentioned when Brawl went out in Japan: The Roster is the WORST part of the game. The rest is gold.

Except for the nonexistent hitstun and combos, the severely downgraded competitive play, and online that pales in comparison to some computer games from the 90's.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

If there is a Smash Bros for another console (NOT handled) then I place my bets for 48 characters, maybe less.

Sorry if this number seems low for SSB4, Brawl gave me a huge dissapointment with the number of characters, I DO NOT COUNT transformations/swaps as multiple characters.
The rest is gold?! There are so many things that looked (on the dojo) and should have been better then they are now.

Wifi sucks. Stage builder, as good as it may seem, could have been done a lot better. 3 min to record a video! Thats to low especially seeing how slow brawl is in the first place. Characters aren't fully balanced (which is bound to happen in a fighting game but with some chars there is no excuse).

As for the rest, I agree.

Except for the nonexistent hitstun and combos, the severely downgraded competitive play, and online that pales in comparison to some computer games from the 90's.
Agreed. Wifi is better on most DS games and it cant even compare to the wifi on other systems and games. Thats why I think SSBDS would be good for wifi as it dosen't suck as much on the handheld.

EDIT: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162985&page=3

My idea of a battalion wars moveset, maybe change final smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Yeah I agree, although I think 50 is the highest amount we will see for Smash 4.

Also, I got your PM and I will respond to it either later today or tomorrow.

E3 is coming tomorrow, so once Nintendo announces all the games they are currently making, I will be able to make further Smash 4 analyses.

I am also planning on posting a topic regarding the Forbidden 7 soon.

KhannKlan

Smash Cadet
Ok, well this is faaaaar too early to be talked about, but if Sakurai DOES work on another smash, I really hope he takes it seriously this time. No ridiculously cheap items, they should be balanced and fair, no random stage deaths to an arctic fish, lava waves, or a death spike on rumble falls. Also, the most important thing, Smash Bros is a competitive series, it should really be treated that way instead of adding random tripping, and air trips that disable you for an unfair death.

So many mistakes, redeem yourself and make a masterpiece! Smash Bros: Close Combat!

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Ah, so there are still people sour about the roster. :laugh:

Ok, well this is faaaaar too early to be talked about, but if Sakurai DOES work on another smash, I really hope he takes it seriously this time. No ridiculously cheap items, they should be balanced and fair, no random stage deaths to an arctic fish, lava waves, or a death spike on rumble falls. Also, the most important thing, Smash Bros is a competitive series, it should really be treated that way instead of adding random tripping, and air trips that disable you for an unfair death.

So many mistakes, redeem yourself and make a masterpiece! Smash Bros: Close Combat!
You're kidding about the 'competitive' thing, right? I doubt Sakurai will change his mind about the focus of his brainchild.

Chronobound: How can you analyze SSB4? And what about the "Forbidden 7"?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The essay regarding the Forbidden 7 has been posted and should still be on this board's front page. That topic will tell you who the Forbidden 7 are and what most likely happened to them.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
The rest is gold?! There are so many things that looked (on the dojo) and should have been better then they are now.

Wifi sucks. Stage builder, as good as it may seem, could have been done a lot better. 3 min to record a video! Thats to low especially seeing how slow brawl is in the first place. Characters aren't fully balanced (which is bound to happen in a fighting game but with some chars there is no excuse).

As for the rest, I agree.
Heh, well I was just generalizing, geez... However, you are right in there.

Yeah I agree, although I think 50 is the highest amount we will see for Smash 4.

Also, I got your PM and I will respond to it either later today or tomorrow.

E3 is coming tomorrow, so once Nintendo announces all the games they are currently making, I will be able to make further Smash 4 analyses.

I am also planning on posting a topic regarding the Forbidden 7 soon.
Don't know, but well, thoughts are thoughts.

Alright, further analysis means possibilities for possibilities for a Smash 4.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
1. Smash Bros would be perfect on DS.
4. He says 'right now we have 39 characters. If I made another and had 50 characters would that make a better game? No.'
Smash should not (and hopefully will not) be on a handheld, it's just not Smash. Do you people really think there will be 30 plus characters? Fools! What will happen will be he adds some exclusive characters but takes out a bundle.

And is Sakurai answering his own question stating no, the game is not better with more characters (which is a lie lol), or is he saying the whole, "It is nice outside, no?" That kind of sentence. Either way, if he's putting more 3rd party members in, Mega Man is almost a sure, but only because of almost everybody wants him in Smash Boards (including me!!!), but because Capcom is a big company, and Mega Man is their mascot.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
We all wish a certain character was in but just be happy with what we have. Quality of the game is still great.

Also those saying a DS version wouldn't work should play Jump Ultimate Stars
Yeah I'm happy and all, but I'm a realllll glutton for cool characters that didn't make it. ^^

And I have played Jump Ultimate Stars. It's pretty cool, but Brawl is a different game, or plays different somewhat.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
WHOA WHOA WHOA. What are you saying?

No, your wrong. THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. The reason the line exist is not to motivate workers to be customer pleasing, but to remind everyone that you are nothing without customers. It is the consumer who is the ultimate judge of quality, not the producer. If consumers buy the product, it must have done something right. If consumers don't buy the product, something must be wrong. If you know what the consumer wants, then you know what to do. The question is finding what they want.

Kri3o

Smash Apprentice
Hanging out with my badass dragon friends in Chica
In the latest issue of EDGE magazine Sakurai stated some interesting things.

1. Smash Bros would be perfect on DS.
2. If people need another Smash Bros in a few years he'll be glad to work on it.
3. He's already admitted to cutting out characters but he says he had plenty of other ideas
he had to cut.
4. He says 'right now we have 39 characters. If I made another and had 50 characters would that make a better game? No.'

I'll add more in more detail soon so discuss!
Oh ****! Sukuari doing another Smash game is really bad.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
1.) Why was this over half-year old thread bumped?
2.) Why is there STILL Sakurai hate all over the place?

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I think Sakurai shouldn't touch SSB4 if he even has the audacity to even pop the idea of keeping tripping in and not adding more characters into his head.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I probably should have looked harder, but I can't find where the interview is. Can someone point me to it? Also, I hope Sakurai reconsiders making new people for Smash Bros, should he decide on a new game. There is a DANGEROUS lack of Females in Brawl. Peach, Samus, and Zelda does not balance the 30 plus guys here. Atleast put in Krystal, or possibly a Pokemon Trainer 2, using some of the new Starters. It's understandable for a fighting game to have a lot of guy fighters, but come on!

V3N0lVl

Smash Cadet
Smash for ds would be a jaw dropper for me i think, if it did happen it would be around the time the new dsi would come out probaly

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
WHOA WHOA WHOA. What are you saying?

No, your wrong. THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. The reason the line exist is not to motivate workers to be customer pleasing, but to remind everyone that you are nothing without customers. It is the consumer who is the ultimate judge of quality, not the producer. If consumers buy the product, it must have done something right. If consumers don't buy the product, something must be wrong. If you know what the consumer wants, then you know what to do. The question is finding what they want.
PwnyRide is a customer.

So... yeah.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Why do people hate Sakurai?

I mean, if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have had Smash at all. And what's so bad about tripping? It only has a 1% chance of happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom