• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Sakurai Interview: Smash Bros DS and 4 news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
you know what would be great? If SSB4 had a huge learning curve with expansive room to improve technique. Things (or Advanced Techs) could create a lot of things to practice in order to improve your game and make you want to play it for years to come.

then again....If everybody plays SSB4 for years to come, there is little money to be had in pumping out a new game every couple of years for millions of people to buy. Why do I suddenly feel like Nintendo is operating like a pharmaceutical company that sees more monetary gain in treating a disease with medications that you need to buy for life rather than produce a cure that will relinquish a customer's need for more products?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ya, seriously, enough trophies and stickers bull****.
Umm, that's like the point of Smash Bros. Without it, it would be another rehash.

you know what would be great? If SSB4 had a huge learning curve with expansive room to improve technique. Things (or Advanced Techs) could create a lot of things to practice in order to improve your game and make you want to play it for years to come.
But then that creates bad gameplay as now there is a large skill gap, and only the top players have fun. Basically, what Smashboards wants is not what should be in Smash Bros. They want only what is for tournaments and anything that doesn't protain to that is useless. There is more to games then just the gameplay.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I think we all should've learned by now that no one is a shoe-in.
For better or for worse, this is true. :ohwell:

Possibly. However, Sakurai-San already stated that we must not expect to see Sukapon as a Playable Character, why? Because he would be a way too complicated character to make.

I personally want Isaac in, more than Sukapon. (Hey, he's more popular, and has a easy moveset potential).

That's my oppinion, i'd prefer to have Felix in too, but now that's asking too much.
I know that he said that, but I honestly don't see what would be so difficult. If they can make Rayman work, then Sukapon should be no different.

And while Isaac does seem a logical inclusion, I wouldn't expect two Golden Sun characters. Isaac would probably be the PC, and Felix would thusly be relegated to AT status.

We got ahead of ourselves. We didn't know that Sakurai got the characters out of the way so early in the development and when Sakurai asked in the offical poll what characters we wanted to see Brawl, we all assumed he meant playable. Most of us went off the assumption that it was going to be like Melee where most of the new characters WERE decided by the fans.

@ Whoever mentioned Sukapon:

Oh... I forgot that he was mentioned twice too but Sakurai said shortly after Melee was released that Sukapon's body structure was too complex to work well in Smash Bros. I don't know if he still feels this way (remember how he wanted to replace Ness with Lucas?) but it does suggest that Sukapon doesn't have a future in Smash Bros.
It was decided by the fans, and--by the same token--it wasn't. As you mentioned, it was more an attempt to make up for who was left out of Melee.

I just don't see what's so problematic about Sukapon. I picture him being similar to R.O.B. in animations, but more fluid and comical. They could easily devise a solid model with invisible portions for the limbs, thus creating the illusion of floating hands and feet. It's a shame, really. :(

(And don't get me started about the Ness thing again. Though I've come to terms with it, just thinking that Claus still had a chance without Ness just gets my goat. :ohwell:)

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
I want them both equally--and, for the record, I would absolutely love to have them in the next game.

Seriously, play Joy Mech Fight. It's delicious. :bigthumbu
I know. I've seen countless gameplay videos. It looks so amazingly wikkadoodulicious (which is a good thing). I've already come up with a complete moveset for our favorite little limbless robot fighter/commedian. Also I've found a good music track that could go in and get remixed and made a good stage. I'm just missing one thing: The final smash. I've gotten some ideas, but all of them have been made up, and not derived the least bit from the game or his personality (except for one, but I'm not going to say what it was because it sucked).

SUKAPON 4 SSB4.

Also, here's the link to the video with the song I want: http://youtube.com/watch?v=R0Yl10zrWoc It's the song that plays during the fight. WOULDN'T THAT BE A GREAT REMIX? or maybe just a diredt port even!

TLMarth

Smash Ace
If it was made on DS I would buy it.
I don't care for trophies and one-player mode. I just like the multiplayer mode and training. After the excitement of everything, new stuff, in the end, in Melee, all I ended up doing was playing against friends and using training mode to experiment. That's all I do.
It would save a lot of space, to make the game really good.
Of course some people would want that stuff so it would have to be included.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Actually, on DS, where would you have the C stick and taunt stuff, although taunt isn't necessarily necessary, and you wouldn't have the subtle differences in the amount of pressing that the gamecube joystick has. How would the d pad notice the difference between a walk and a run?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am trying my best to get my project done ASAP. I am absolutely disgusted by the ignorance and stupidity that has infected this site and other Smash forums.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Wait... Sakurai said that SSB would be perfect on the DS?

I'm totally out of the loop, I guess. I heard about the SSB4 and characters not making the cut part, but not the DS part.

Anyways, I'm happy there's going to be a SSB4, I just hope it will be enough to revive the series after Brawl killed it for me.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I know; I meant contemporary choices.

@ Chronobound:

What's this project of yours? I remember you talking about it shortly after Brawl came out too.
Yeah, I have been working on it since February, things got slowed down due various factors, however, there are currently over 100 typed pages for it, and it will probably be at 150 when everything is done. I am hoping that the ideas presented by my topic will have a profound effect on how the Smash fanbase looks at certain characters and what the main priority for Smash 4 should be. It is easily the lengthiest topic I have made to date.

However, for my proposed Smash 4 roster there are only 15 newcomers, and while character reasonings and movesets make up a sizable portion of it, the real draw to it will articulating the concept that Smash 4 should and explaining what the Smash Bros. series represents, and how that meaning got watered down with Brawl, as well as the main fault of every Smash Bros. roster since Melee, as well as my take and analysis and insight on many other debates that are going on within the Smash Bros. fandom.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
ChronoBound, you are invaluable. I agree fully with your idea that Brawl is diluted.

To summarize my opinion - I am all for a DS SSB, but may not be so interested in the end. I think it's sad that Sakurai won't tell us which characters were cut and I think SSB would do well with DLC rather than a long wait between each installment.

Oh, and Sakurai gets a role more suited for him if there is a SSB 4 and he participates in production.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Anyways, I'm happy there's going to be a SSB4, I just hope it will be enough to revive the series after Brawl killed it for me.
Could you explain how it did that?

I am hoping that the ideas presented by my topic will have a profound effect on how the Smash fanbase looks at certain characters and what the main priority for Smash 4 should be.
Will this "project" just be an explanation of current characters and their histories as well as certain other characters to be included in a proposed roster followed by your reasoning for their inclusion (with much, much, detail) only? I mean, I really hope it's more than just the same old song and dance about characters and how they "deserve to be in the game." So pretty much, will this be about more than just the characters?

ChronoBound, you are invaluable. I agree fully with your idea that Brawl is diluted.
Could you explain that idea?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Could you explain how it did that?
Why should I? It's just my personal experience with Brawl. It got boring really fast, which is weird because neither of the last two SSB ever got boring to me. (although now they are... because Brawl killed it all for me.)

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
Why should I? It's just my personal experience with Brawl. It got boring really fast, which is weird because neither of the last two SSB ever got boring to me. (although now they are... because Brawl killed it all for me.)
That sucks

Brawl questioned what made me like the series in the first place
but i found what it was; gameplay, i dont fancy brawls slow physics and emphasized Defense tactics

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
That sucks

Brawl questioned what made me like the series in the first place
but i found what it was; gameplay, i dont fancy brawls slow physics and emphasized Defense tactics
Yeah, that's kind of the explanation I wanted. You see, I've been out of the loop for a long time, not owning Brawl or a Wii, and only being able to play the game occasionally. So I haven't really gotten a chance to appreciate the game as it is.

I acknowledge Brawl's slower physics, which haven't really grown on me yet, and since I haven't played the game extensively, haven't affected me too much. I'm just curious as to the other reasons people say that Brawl is bad, if not for the physics (because I've seen enough of those debates). I hope no one is still sour grapes over the roster.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Megaman is a nono, ZSS, Sonic, Lucario, Squirtle, Dedede, Wolf, they all wear or are blue, another new blue character to the mix would ruin the game, I say we more pink characters, olimars nose just doesn't cut it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, I have been working on it since February, things got slowed down due various factors, however, there are currently over 100 typed pages for it, and it will probably be at 150 when everything is done. I am hoping that the ideas presented by my topic will have a profound effect on how the Smash fanbase looks at certain characters and what the main priority for Smash 4 should be. It is easily the lengthiest topic I have made to date.

However, for my proposed Smash 4 roster there are only 15 newcomers, and while character reasonings and movesets make up a sizable portion of it, the real draw to it will articulating the concept that Smash 4 should and explaining what the Smash Bros. series represents, and how that meaning got watered down with Brawl, as well as the main fault of every Smash Bros. roster since Melee, as well as my take and analysis and insight on many other debates that are going on within the Smash Bros. fandom.
Well, Sakurai already suggested that Smash 4 would more than likely have 50 characters so that works out just fine. Just so that we can somewhat have a taste of what you're going to say, what would you say the main priority of Smash 4 should be?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Well, Sakurai already suggested that Smash 4 would more than likely have 50 characters so that works out just fine. Just so that we can somewhat have a taste of what you're going to say, what would you say the main priority of Smash 4 should be?
I'd also like a small gist of it, since it seems like it'll just be a really long-drawn out character explanation.

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's kind of the explanation I wanted. You see, I've been out of the loop for a long time, not owning Brawl or a Wii, and only being able to play the game occasionally. So I haven't really gotten a chance to appreciate the game as it is.

I acknowledge Brawl's slower physics, which haven't really grown on me yet, and since I haven't played the game extensively, haven't affected me too much. I'm just curious as to the other reasons people say that Brawl is bad, if not for the physics (because I've seen enough of those debates). I hope no one is still sour grapes over the roster.
I dont have qualms over the roster ... its pretty good
it's plain and simply the in game physics that irk me

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Sorry if I sounded rude there, flyinfilipino. I really thought you were another Brawl lover who hates anybody who disagrees with them, and that you were going to criticize any opinion I would have posted up... lol. I'm not really in the mood for that right now.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
For SSB4. They need to add more advance techniques and tweak footstool jumping a little bit. Has anyone else realized how easy it is to jump on someone who is attacking? Computers do it all the freaking time. I think it deserves a small rebalancing.

And maybe for SSBDS, they could do something cool and unique that would utilize the touch screen unforcefully. What I mean is, not make us use it because it's there, but make an awesome addition that would only work because of the touch screen. In example, I think it would be cool for Smash to explore the team effort type of playing. You know, you pick 2 or 3 characters instead of just 1 and you can switch out by a push of a button.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Sorry if I sounded rude there, flyinfilipino. I really thought you were another Brawl lover who hates anybody who disagrees with them, and that you were going to criticize any opinion I would have posted up... lol. I'm not really in the mood for that right now.
No problem. I'm not a Brawl lover just yet, I mean, I still go wide-eyed whenever I see someone playing it IRL. I just thought I'd...immerse myself in the world of post-Brawl release before I delve any further into this topic.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I doubt we'll see another console smash bros till Nintendo releases their next system. Personally I'd like it to stay that way, One smash per system works well. Makes you more excited for the new one and avoids it becoming too much like Mario Party.

That said I hope he has taken at least some note of the competative scene and how most people generally think Brawl isn't nearly as good as Melee in terms of being a competative game. I hope he fixes that.

And on the comment of 50 characters, yes please. Will that make it a better game? It would have, but I guess Sakurai thinks things like smash balls make a better game. I'm all for innovation but in some cases the innovation should just come in the form of new stages/characters (move sets) and not crap like smash balls.

This is the second time that's he's commented that he'd do work on a smash 4, guess working on Brawl made him change his mind. Personally though I dunno, he's a good game developer but the thing smash may need to become more competative again is a new person at the helm.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Maybe he can increase the maximum character capacity on a stage to say, 8? 4 can be on one system and four on the other, and better online would be great.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I doubt we'll see another console smash bros till Nintendo releases their next system. Personally I'd like it to stay that way, One smash per system works well. Makes you more excited for the new one and avoids it becoming too much like Mario Party.

Well, Sakurai did say it would be years before the next Smash game comes out and it's estimated that the next generation will start in Q4 2010. I personally think the next Smash game will be released in 2013 and be announced probably in 2011.

That said I hope he has taken at least some note of the competative scene and how most people generally think Brawl isn't nearly as good as Melee in terms of being a competative game. I hope he fixes that.

He's aware of it but I don't think he favors it too much. He said that he made Brawl the way it is because he didn't want it to basically be Melee 2.0. He said that he wanted each game in the franchise to have a different feel to it. With this said, Smash 4 will probably have different physics then both Brawl and Melee.

And on the comment of 50 characters, yes please. Will that make it a better game? It would have, but I guess Sakurai thinks things like smash balls make a better game. I'm all for innovation but in some cases the innovation should just come in the form of new stages/characters (move sets) and not crap like smash balls.

This is the second time that's he's commented that he'd do work on a smash 4, guess working on Brawl made him change his mind. Personally though I dunno, he's a good game developer but the thing smash may need to become more competative again is a new person at the helm.
Truth be told, competitive developers are even more of s a minority as competitive gamers. Sakurai has all the connections too when it comes to getting the material for the Smash games so to completely drop him would be fool hardy. Really, people need to wake up to these two facts.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I know. I've seen countless gameplay videos. It looks so amazingly wikkadoodulicious (which is a good thing). I've already come up with a complete moveset for our favorite little limbless robot fighter/commedian. Also I've found a good music track that could go in and get remixed and made a good stage. I'm just missing one thing: The final smash. I've gotten some ideas, but all of them have been made up, and not derived the least bit from the game or his personality (except for one, but I'm not going to say what it was because it sucked).

SUKAPON 4 SSB4.

Also, here's the link to the video with the song I want: http://youtube.com/watch?v=R0Yl10zrWoc It's the song that plays during the fight. WOULDN'T THAT BE A GREAT REMIX? or maybe just a diredt port even!
FS could be Sukapon on-stage telling a joke. The disembodied cheering voices would serve as Sukapon's audience. Timed button presses would help keep the "pacing" of his comedy routine; the better one's rhythm is, the more enthused the audience becomes, and their support gives boosts to Sukapon. The boosts could go as follows:

Speed x 1.5 -> Speed x 1.5, Power x 1.5 -> Speed x 1.5, Power x 1.5, All other characters stunned -> (All previous benefits) + Continuous Sukapon Roll -> (All previous benefits) + Ability to roll around screen at will (a la Super Sonic or Volt Tackle)

I am trying my best to get my project done ASAP. I am absolutely disgusted by the ignorance and stupidity that has infected this site and other Smash forums.
I expected to stay for a while after Brawl's release; sadly, however, there was an influx of less-than-savory posts around the time of the JP release, so I decided to steer clear for a while. :dizzy:

I'm so excited for it! :bigthumbu From what I've read thus far (of what you have sent me), it sounds absolutely fascinating.

Megaman is a nono, ZSS, Sonic, Lucario, Squirtle, Dedede, Wolf, they all wear or are blue, another new blue character to the mix would ruin the game, I say we more pink characters, olimars nose just doesn't cut it.
Sukapon's pink. ;)

Truth be told, competitive developers are even more of s a minority as competitive gamers. Sakurai has all the connections too when it comes to getting the material for the Smash games so to completely drop him would be fool hardy. Really, people need to wake up to these two facts.
Seriously. Even if you hate Brawl, at least be grateful for the mammoth of a game that Sakurai gave to us. I personally love Brawl, so while I won't push my opinions on you, I still think that it's certainly worthy of approbation in its own right. And frankly, I don't think anyone else is as qualified to take the reins of the Smash series.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
More third party (MEGAMAN) He'll have to add something totally new to the series since he doesnt want to make one for more characters...maybe a different kind of adventure mode or something
NO, HOW ABOUT NO ADVENTURE MODE. Stop giving the man ideas.... what if he read that....then we mite have to blame you on it all.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Also, @ Chrono: The list of stuff that you sent me had 54 total characters, so it seems as though four were cut from your roster way back when. Which ones got the boot?!

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Why no adventure mode? If they spent more time on it it'd actually be pretty bad ***.
It'd still have all the multiplayer we all play smash for, so why not? It wouldn't be a bad addition 2 the game--but, please, make characters harder to unlock. That's my beef with the subspace emissary.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Why wouldn't it? If it actually drew from the characters games, and did what sakurai said it would do, force the characters to burden the weight of their history, then it woul dactually be fun.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Advanced techniques like what? (sorry not very educated about all the pro stuf from melee.. except how wavedashing was a glitch and that everyone said in order to be good you needed to use it :/P )

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
how about adding ADVANCED TECHNIQUES =.= its adding dept and more game play! like i dont see why he wouldnt like that (:
Because it's elitist and unnecessary? Because most of the oh-so precious "advanced techniques" (i.e. wavedashing) were merely discovered by players and not explicitly included in the game by the developers? Because a game can be perfectly fun and enjoyable (of all things!) without them?

<3

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Exactly! Practically everyone depended on Wavedashing, something that wasn't even intended to be in the game. I don't want that happening again.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Exactly! Practically everyone depended on Wavedashing, something that wasn't even intended to be in the game. I don't want that happening again.
I guess I'm neutral on the issue as far as how the competitive scene takes the game and mutilates it (;)), but I'm a staunch believer that these so-called "advanced techniques" should be strictly player-developed--not something included by developers to pander to the competitive crowd. Let these techniques and strategies arise out of hours of gameplay and a deep devotion to the game itself, not from contrived situations created by the developers.

Brawl has been out for a mere half-year in Japan, even less time over here, and barely even a month in PAL regions. There's plenty of time to discover new strategies and the like. Not to mention that I don't see what about them makes competitive gameplay so much more exciting and interesting. Smash your heart out: that's exciting and fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom