• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Rule Pertaining To MK / Rainbow Cruise + Brinstar (?)

Are You In Favor Of This Rule?

• Total voters

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
Basically the reason I believe most of the people in here are trying to keep mk legal is there is a very vocal group that is being catered to that insisted that mk be kept legal. Generally pointing to stages as to being the true problem. Problem is there is another large group that don't see banning these stages as anything but a surgical nerf on aerial characters when there is only one problem aerial character. Between these two groups a middle ground is attempting to be found. Something that controls mk's dominance on anything but ground based stages and not taking away counter picks for aerial characters such as wario and g&w who are not needing the nerf. Its obvious that mk needs a nerf are just arguing over where to draw the line. So far lgl isn't enough. I don't think removing brinstar and norfair will be enough either but it would start at controlling him maybe.

:phone:

Judo777

Smash Master
No matter who is ultimately to blame, whether or not it was the URC or SWF admins/mods, you have to face facts that the URC took the blame for 99.99% of the BS. Obtaining special permission from a URC member to alter the rules for it to qualify for full benefits of a URC-run tournament(and this was prior to the MK ban), then there was the fact that at the time of the ban vote taken place, not one single member of the URC who voted for the ban was a MK main(again, going by what Mike Haze said).

It appeared to me that while the URC's actions may appear just, they really set the game backwards by inaction.
The fact that none of them mained MK shouldn't matter at all. If they are doing what is truly best for the game as a whole then it shouldnt matter who they main. If my character if I claim to be a TO who wants to do what is best for the community I should be willing to ban the character I play, or not enter my own tournament or w/e if its best for the community.

Smash Master
You pick MK and your opponent doesn't, your opponent gets to pick the stage. No mess, no fuss.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Bear in mind that the stage is chosen first followed by characters under most rulesets, so for this to work, the configuration of the counterpick process would have to be winner's character, followed by loser's character, then loser's stage.

(Loser's character first doesn't work because that allows the winner of the previous match to counterpick by character easily, and that's no good.)

Anyway, if we use that configuration, it allows the loser of the previous match to heavily counterpick the next match, because not only does he get to hear his opponent's character first, but he gets to pick his own character AND stage against the opponent. With the old method of counterpicking, the winner of the previous match at least has a chance to switch to a character suitable for the upcoming stage. That's not possible here.

I'm not sure how bad of a problem this would be, but it is there, so keep it in mind.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
john that won't work either. Because you as the winner aren't allowed to switch to mk on his counter pick to brinstar/rainbow cruise. I think the point is if you pick either brinstar or rainbow cruise, neither player is allowed to switch to mk in response to that.

:phone:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
But there's a problem with that, too...

Because then I can just pick Rainbow Cruise/Brinstar, and now my opponent isn't allowed to use MK?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah. It's one thing to prevent a character/stage combination when you are able to choose the stage, but when you're forced off a character when they are picking the stage, it's kinda iffy. It's not gonna pass nationally, you're better off getting rid of those stages and just dealing with those consequences regardless of MK.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Houston is likely to throw away this rule and ban :metaknight: altogether after Ascension.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm sure Shaya had a good talk to Illmatic/Sync about this awful rule anyways during the tournament (along with everyone else who disagrees with it). Unsubbed for whenever this is locked.

z00ted

Um.... you're pretty much wrong, Slush. LOL
Everyone enjoyed this rule, no complaints. Metaknight still is hated beyond belief, though.

z00ted

Nah bro, - calm down.
You couldn't have done that LOL.

edit: hi sync

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
wait a second.

I could have counter picked Infinity to brinstar and he would have not been able to play MK either?
DA ****KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
If anyone uses this rule against me I'm counterpicking them to Brinstar, picking Wario, and camping them so hard that it makes them realize that this rule is ridiculous.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Oh I'd be cool with that, because I'd be Wario too

New meta Wario dittos on CP stages GO

Top Bottom