• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Pokemon Project

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well Zook, if you can get a system worked out, I'm in for spriting and overall conceptual design.

You want me.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Personally, I think that would be really annoying

I see people shutting the game off and just waiting for their pokemon to heal.

It would be an inconvenience in the game
Meh...it's just a suggestion. I just thought it might change a person's viewpoint on exactly how they train their Pokemon, because I remember not liking to train up a lot of my Pokemon until after I've basically completed the game (beat the Elite Four) because I just wanted to run straight through, and this would emphasize more on actually training them up more beforehand. This will then create a more realistic type of gameplay and put you more into the shoes of a real Pokemon Trainer as you face the struggles that they'd be more prone to face.

Of course, the wait wouldn't actually be 24 hours, either. Like I said, a night or two. So eight hours might do (it doesn't have to be entirely realistic), as that's how long it's usually recommended to sleep, and I guarantee that a lot of people can find things to do for that amount of time as well if they have a problem with trying to train up weaker Pokemon. Oh, and this would only really be for if they fainted. Once again, I did say serious damage. And I don't really think you'd need to wait 8 hours if all that they would realistically need is a potion or pp-up to feel better. And yes, revives would still be available to use. They just may be a little more sparse if there are less Pokemarts to go to (referencing to what I said about few towns in an advancement in his plot).

Spire

III
BRoomer
Agreed. I also think that if you go with anything involving Pokemon Centers, they should all be much more in-depth and accessible. I mean...have you ever seen the Pokemon Centers in the show? They're like freaking hospitals! Plus, at least from what I remember in the earlier episodes (I mainly just remember his meeting with Charmander for Pokemon Centers), the Pokemon actually had to stay in for a night or two if heavily damaged so Nurse Joy could treat them. It was no "Oh...we'll just put them in this little machine for a few seconds and they'll be all better" bull****. So if you can create an internal clock for the game (much like in GSC and DPP), I think this should be included. It can force versatility in training methods and will ultimately make every fight more risky.

That latter part would also be an extremely good idea if you decide to make a more war-like atmosphere for the game, as I highly doubt Pokemon Centers will even really exist anymore if this were to happen.

Ooooo...good idea working off of your desert/clan idea: just make it like a barren wasteland, and houses that you'd find would be in just random placement instead of colonized. Actually, towns as a whole could be rather nonexistent, and those that do exist would possibly be found in semi-hidden caves. They could also generally be owned by the different clans, so in order to get in you'd need to be a part of that clan. Of course, there might be an occasional neutral one as well, as I'm guessing that there might be a path to choose neither?

I don't know...it's just a thought. Looking at the perspectives of the other posters, I'd say that they're hoping for a more hardcore-style of play, and I think these couple of things could really help bring that with what your current plot is.
This idea could actually work. It would emphasize the importance of keeping your Pokemon healthy (meaning that by adding new features like feeding your Pokemon, making them exercise, etc) so that you could use them for longer periods of time, and would provide the challenged of actually caring and maintaining your Pokemon as living beings, rather than as weapons.

Pokemon needs to change a lot, and your ideas definitely contribute to a worthwhile shift in mechanics. Bravo.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Okay I always think about this when I think about the pokemon anime. Shouldn't there be some way to make the battling more diverse? For example, I recall this one episode in which a Medicham uses Ice Punch on the ground to create a shiny surface that reflects a solarbeam. Or when Pikachu kills Blaine's Rhydon by exploiting it's horn. Or a Peliper using Iron Wing and touching the ground to resist a Thunderbolt. Or when a totodile digs ditches with it's watergun to stop a Miltank from using Rollout.

I really wish there was a videogame that interactive. One that inspires endless creativity due to the possibilities. This would be ridiculously fun, and would require a lot of skill to be good at.

But how could one achieve this? Any ideas?

I think a good place to start would be to make the battlefield more important. Reacting to the landscape and changing it to your advantage by using moves.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Okay I always think about this when I think about the pokemon anime. Shouldn't there be some way to make the battling more diverse? For example, I recall this one episode in which a Medicham uses Ice Punch on the ground to create a shiny surface that reflects a solarbeam. Or when Pikachu kills Blaine's Rhydon by exploiting it's horn. Or a Peliper using Iron Wing and touching the ground to resist a Thunderbolt. Or when a totodile digs ditches with it's watergun to stop a Miltank from using Rollout.

I really wish there was a videogame that interactive. One that inspires endless creativity due to the possibilities. This would be ridiculously fun, and would require a lot of skill to be good at.

But how could one achieve this? Any ideas?

I think a good place to start would be to make the battlefield more important. Reacting to the landscape and changing it to your advantage by using moves.
This would be amazing. I wish I was better at Ruby.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
That could be very... interesting and complex. You'd need to program each move and what it would to to the ground, nearby grass (forest fire? make it grow into a... forest?), a tree (cut it down? make it grow?), rocks (melt them? throw them? absorb them? o.O), water (too many), snow (melt? freeze?), and ice (melt? throw?). I probably missed some.

What's this game going to be named?

Mewter

Smash Master
What about including choices and branching paths? I don't think it should be too difficult with RPG Maker, and it would give the player more freedom and let them feel like they have control over the outcome. Maybe you could pull off a Cave Story!
Well, maybe not that good.:laugh:

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Ruby is fun to work with. The problem is, with that type of style, you'll need to make different maps for a battle, or something to that effect. You can't use battledrops as you can normally to get this effect. I prefer turn-based myself, but meh. (And you'll need to use the main map sprites as well I believe, unless you make a separate set, battlesystem sucks to program in ruby...)

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:evil:
Hey, Zook. What if you made it so that it wasn an Rpg in which you WERE Pokemon! But, instead of the whole "Dora-The-Explora" helping people crap, make it the fighting game it should be! People would pick a Pokemon to be, and then fight against other Pokemon in arenas, where you dodge attacks, using the environment as cover (until someone shoots a Fire-Blast at a tree and Burns it down), while using their own moves to attack enemies! It's an idea in Process, and I hope Nintendo does it if you can't do it. Just a random idea. All of the supliment attack Pokemon can learn would be quite hard to put in, but it wouuld still be fun as heck.

By the way, is this game going to be an Online game that multiple people can play? Or something we download and play.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hey, Zook. What if you made it so that it wasn an Rpg in which you WERE Pokemon! But, instead of the whole "Dora-The-Explora" helping people crap, make it the fighting game it should be! People would pick a Pokemon to be, and then fight against other Pokemon in arenas, where you dodge attacks, using the environment as cover (until someone shoots a Fire-Blast at a tree and Burns it down), while using their own moves to attack enemies! It's an idea in Process, and I hope Nintendo does it if you can't do it. Just a random idea. All of the supliment attack Pokemon can learn would be quite hard to put in, but it wouuld still be fun as heck.

By the way, is this game going to be an Online game that multiple people can play? Or something we download and play.
Seeing as how actually mimicking the game system that the Pokemon games run on is incredibly difficult, I see the above idea as a great possibility, or at least something in lieu of it.

We could make a new type of Pokemon game. Ranger and Mystery Dungeon have already attempted this, so let's add to the spinoffs.

I say we design a Pokemon RTS.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

That'd be INSANELY hard to program. For now, I'm just going to stick with a classic Pokemon game.

Feel free to talk about the possibilities here, though. It's a great concept, but I don't think I'd be able to pull it off right now.

Anyways, I've come up with a few new Pokemon! My scanner isn't working right now, so I'll just post what I wrote. Base Stats are all for the final forms.

Flare seed -Lv. 23-> Burnler -Fire Stone-> Burnlip

Grass/Fire

Flash Fire

Chlorophyll

HP: 85
Atk: 73
Def: 75
Spd: 63
SpAtk: 110
SpDef: 75
Total: 481

Flareseed Lv. Up Moves
-Leech Seed
-Ember
-Growth
-Explosion

Burnler Lv. Up Moves

-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Sleep Powder
-Razor Leaf
-Ingrain
-Smoke Screen
-Will-O-Wisp
-Seed Bomb
-Energy Ball
-Flame Thrower
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam

Burnlip Lv. Up Moves

-Sun Burn
-Solar Beam
-Solar Ray
-Over Heat

Sunhopper -Sun Stone-> Solocust

Bug/Light

Compound Eyes

HP: 55
Atk: 65
Def: 50
Spd: 141
SpAtk: 100
SpDef: 52
Total: 458

Sunhopper Lv. Up Moves

-Tackle
-Bounce

Solocust Lv. Up Moves

-Signal Beam
-Charge Beam
-Solar Ray
-Morning Sun
-Bug Bite
-Bug Buzz
-Tail Glow

Statuwyrm -Lv. 35-> Dratue -Lv. 55-> Gongoyle

Statuwyrm: Rock
Dratue and Gongoyle: Dragon/Rock

Statuwyrm and Dratue: Inner Focus
Gongoyle: Levitate

HP: 110
Atk: 95
Def: 90
Spd: 70
SpAtk: 95
SpDef: 60
Total: 520

Statuwyrm Lv. Up Moves

-Wrap
-Growl
-Ember
-Bite
-Tail Whip
-Harden
-Glare
-Headbutt
-Roll Out
-Dig
-Fire Fang
-Ice Fang
-Haze
-Screech
-Crunch
-Dragon Rush

Dratue Lv. Up Moves

-Slash
-Wing Attack
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower

Gongoyle Lv. Up Moves

-Drill Peck
-Air Slash
-Stone Edge
-Dragon Pulse
-Roost

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
RTS requires MAPS for battledrops, not the battledrops themselves, you also need to use the map sprites, or have them swap to battle-map sprites when entering battle, which in itself is quite a lot of work. Then making speed modifiers, and making AI that can actually work with RTS instead of turn-based by itself is at least 13 or 14 pages of Ruby, most likely more.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Hey Zook, is it possible that we could also create evolutions for some of the old Pokemon that we feel need a little boost-up? Or possibly even babies? I remember looking over Pokemon Acanthite and seeing them do such things (like making Kangaskid a playable Pokemon), and I really like the idea. I feel as though some of them need such justification anyway, such as Farfetch'd...poor thing.

Anyway, if so...since the release of D/P, I've wanted to see an evolution to Banette, considering the fact that Dusclops was like its opposite, but it didn't get the same options. I picture a mannequin-type thing for it too; it just seems rather fitting. I'm not very good at setting up stats and such though, so I'll leave said things to other people. :\

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
^^Orly already did that.

What if you made a Fire Emblem Style (turn-based strategy) type? That's be cool.

RTS would be unbelievably epic of a pokemon game. ROFL just thinking about it gives me chills.

Anyways, let's get some ideas for light-type attacks going.

Change SolarBeam to a light-type attack, Light Screen and Flash too.

Inner Strength
PP 25
Support
-Boosts SpA and Atk one stage each.

Dazzle
PP 15
Special
-60 Base Power
-30% chance of confusing (or blinding, new status ailment?)
OR
-20% chance to lower the targets SpD and Def one stage

Leap of Faith (idk lol)
PP 10-15
Physical
-Power is determined by the pokemon's trust in its trainer,

Energy Slash
PP 10
Physical
-75 Base power
-Extra Critical hit chance

Light Cannon
PP 5
Special
-120 base power
-Slightly lower accuracy than normal

Radiance
PP 10
Special
-90-100 base power
Hits all targets in 2v2 battles.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
Great job, Zook, and everyone else for their ideas!

I was thinking the plot should be about two Legendary Pokemon that one of them is a Light-type and the other is a Dark-type. They are separated by a strange force in the region. An organization's research and development team wants to find a way to sever the force needed to keep the Legendary Pokemon at peace. It is said that whenever the force binding the Pokemon is broken, the whole world will fall in chaos and start a never-ending war between humans and Pokemon (basically turn everyone against each other). The influence of the Legendary Pokemon to get them on their side depends on the heart of the being. If the being is good-natured, then it'll end up with the Light-type Legendary, and vice-versa.

Here are the names of the Legendaries.

Zarion- Light
Gandelion- Dark

Make Zarion have Light Cannon and Gandelion have Dark Cannon.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Zook, the names of those Pokemon just ****ing work. "Solocust" as an evolution to "Sunhopper" is very, very clever.

Any way we could squeeze in the Borchooga family, and potentially Regimagma?

EDIT: And Sagiduck!

Chaco

Never Logs In
This is really cool, and maybe make it a bit more intersting than pokemon games. Take the 10 year old and under mentality out of it.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I have a bunch of created moves from the old move creator thread that I can copy past all of them for ya.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Something I've realized I've gotten tired of with Platinum was being given a pokemon. In Plat
we're all ready, about to run through the grass fast 'because then pokemon cant catch us!" but then prof whatsit stops us and gives us a pokemon.
What I would have liked is that we have just a stick to defend ourselves and have to buy some pokeballs and catch some wild pokemon without a starter.

If you do go starters though, I'd second psy/dark/fight or bird/rock/fight

Mewter

Smash Master
Something I've realized I've gotten tired of with Platinum was being given a pokemon. In Plat
we're all ready, about to run through the grass fast 'because then pokemon cant catch us!" but then prof whatsit stops us and gives us a pokemon.
What I would have liked is that we have just a stick to defend ourselves and have to buy some pokeballs and catch some wild pokemon without a starter.

They'll have to start a poke lib. I guess you could say they'll both have to fight for their rights!
No, but really. That's a good idea.

D

Deleted member

No sarcasm in any way, lots of people refer to me as Professor Ironwood and I average giving away 1 pokemon a week.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Zook, here's an idea.

What if we designed a game that served as a "best of" Pokemon adventure? It would have a whole new world, but simply our chosen "best" Pokemon from all four Generations rather than any new ones (okay, maybe a few new legendaries or something), with multiple - perhaps seven - starter families (Abra being one of them). Treat it as a Smash Bros of Pokemon, a game that takes the all-stars of the series and throws 'em all together in a 150 Pokedex in lieu of Gen 1.

Legendaries could be sorted by choosing one Pokemon from each of the groups, or better yet, choosing all of the Legendaries that could reasonably belong to multiples (meaning they are not the only ones). For instance, a possible selection of legendaries could be:

- Legendary Birds
- Legendary Beasts
- Ho-oh/Lugia
- Latios/Latias (too similar to Lugia in appearance)
- Heatran
- Shaymin
- Mew
- Celebi
- Jirachi
- Manaphy

zrky

Smash Lol'd
No sarcasm in any way, lots of people refer to me as Professor Ironwood and I average giving away 1 pokemon a week.
Why Ironwood?

Spire it would be 151 not 150, and Im being serious about the 151
and get rid of Heatran from your list and add myabe...rayquaza!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Why Ironwood?

Spire it would be 151 not 150, and Im being serious about the 151
and get rid of Heatran from your list and add myabe...rayquaza!
Oh, it was just hypothetical. Just posting an example of a "best of" Legendaries list. And yeah, 151 I GUESS.

However, I omitted Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, and Arceus because they are all too mythological and supreme to be warranted multiples. I think Legendary Pokemon should simply be incredibly rare, circumstantial Pokemon, rather than one-of-a-kinds. Mewtwo, however, is a one-of-a-kind, and if it weren't for my love of the guy, I would have kept him off the list too.

Mewter

Smash Master
Oh, it was just hypothetical. Just posting an example of a "best of" Legendaries list. And yeah, 151 I GUESS.

However, I omitted Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, and Arceus because they are all too mythological and supreme to be warranted multiples. I think Legendary Pokemon should simply be incredibly rare, circumstantial Pokemon, rather than one-of-a-kinds. Mewtwo, however, is a one-of-a-kind, and if it weren't for my love of the guy, I would have kept him off the list too.
152. Mewtwo needs a spot. He has to have one. Not giving Mewtwo a spot is like taking the banana out of banana split.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Actually, if you include Mew then Mewtwo basically becomes a viable option. This is simply because, iirc, Mewtwo was an experiment based off of Mew that went wrong. So unless you have no plan on putting Porygon, who is also an experiment, in the game, then you have no reason to take him out.

Plus, I think each Pokemon game needs that uber legendary anyway, and he fits the bill pretty well for that. :p

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
152. Mewtwo needs a spot. He has to have one. Not giving Mewtwo a spot is like taking the banana out of banana split.
Um.

That's like saying Brawl could only have Ridley or Geno, and not both.
Why can't you have 151 and Mewtwo?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Um.

That's like saying Brawl could only have Ridley or Geno, and not both.
Why can't you have 151 and Mewtwo?
I think he's saying that Mewtwo gets a spot even if it means adding on another number that wasn't originally intended. Because Mewtwo is just THAT amazing that he needs to be in the game; whether he's in the original line-up or not.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Okay, Zook. Here's the ultimate verdict:

We have to make Mewthree, a mutated Clone of Mewtwo (Mewtant?) that he made of himself. Perhaps we can base the entire story around Mewtwo and perhaps the first movie [in some ways].

Here's a quick idea. Mewthree (Mewtant) begins wrecking havoc around the world about halfway through the game, and so towards the end, you confront and battle Mewtwo. After defeating him, he gives in and understands that he is naturally incompetent of defeating Mewthree, and so he realizes that only under your command can he be brought down, so he subdues and hops in his Pokeball.

You can only battle Mewthree with Mewtwo, and cannot cast a Pokeball at him. You must defeat Mewthree, and upon defeating it, you are presented with the options of releasing Mewtwo to capture Mewthree in the special Pokeball that Mewtwo transformed the ball that you caught him with, OR, to keep Mewtwo and leave Mewthree to perish.

That was the biggest Mewtwo fanboyism thing I've ever written. Wow, that was bad. I'd actually rather help develop an entirely new, original game than that, but whatever. I'm not going to delete all that after writing it.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Okay, Zook. Here's the ultimate verdict:

We have to make Mewthree, a mutated Clone of Mewtwo (Mewtant?) that he made of himself. Perhaps we can base the entire story around Mewtwo and perhaps the first movie [in some ways].

Here's a quick idea. Mewthree (Mewtant) begins wrecking havoc around the world about halfway through the game, and so towards the end, you confront and battle Mewtwo. After defeating him, he gives in and understands that he is naturally incompetent of defeating Mewthree, and so he realizes that only under your command can he be brought down, so he subdues and hops in his Pokeball.

You can only battle Mewthree with Mewtwo, and cannot cast a Pokeball at him. You must defeat Mewthree, and upon defeating it, you are presented with the options of releasing Mewtwo to capture Mewthree in the special Pokeball that Mewtwo transformed the ball that you caught him with, OR, to keep Mewtwo and leave Mewthree to perish.

That was the biggest Mewtwo fanboyism thing I've ever written. Wow, that was bad. I'd actually rather help develop an entirely new, original game than that, but whatever. I'm not going to delete all that after writing it.
...I just creamed myself.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Don't worry spire, I enjoyed reading it :)

It was actually very interesting to read and I kept getting visual images of how that would play out (strangely I had images of catching mewtwo in a cave and him setting off with you).

So I guess it was worth keeping :)

-:bowser:Bowser King

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I got an idea what Mewthree could look like...

MOre distorted than Mewtwo with 4 arms, no legs (LEvitates) and 2 tails...

I could draw it, the idea looks cool in my head

Wave⁂

Smash Legend

Bahaha, that was awesome

A distorted version of a distorted Pokemon?

Looks like a job for Zook!

Top Bottom