• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Pokemon Project

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I've recently bought RPG Maker XP, and I've realized: I could make a Pokemon game with this!

Of course I have absolutely no ideas as of yet. So I've decided that I want YOU guys to help me! I've seen what you've come up with in speculation threads, witnessed the amazing sprites you make, bore witness to your creativity. How about we make a Pokemon game?

Bare with me, I haven't organised my thoughts at all, and I'm typing this as it comes to mind.

I have the tools to make it (RPG Maker XP, access to RPG Maker forums where people can help me with programming, etc.), but I'd like help from other people, too. ...Well, need help.

Things I Want to Do
  • Original artwork/sprites
  • New region
  • Storyline that differs hugely from other Pokemon games
  • More bonding with Pokemon (Unrealistic, but maybe)
  • A main character with some personality (Less "Link," more "Wario," maybe even speak a few lines here and there?)
  • New Pokemon
  • New moves
  • Balance Pokemon
Pretty bare-bone right now, but it'll flesh out, I'm sure. Now, what I need help with...

Things I need Help With
  • Spriting
  • Plot
  • Character design
  • General ideas
^^ All I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more.

Because I don't have many ideas yet as to possible plots, I'll just open this for discussion. We'll think of something.

I'd really like to see this happen. I'll post new ideas I have for a plot every now and then.

Feel free to submit move ideas, Pokemon ideas, characters, story lines, etc. etc. and ask any questions.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
im very adept with rpg maker xp, and have even attempted something like this. please take this advice:

Do not start on any resources for this project until you get a working engine in RPG Maker!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you want a pokemon style game where ufind random battles, catch em, etc, work on the engine first. i have worked for a ridiculous amount of time on this and it is insanely hard to do. additionally, when consulting forums for how to do such things, pretty much no one had an answer. there were ppl that tried to make pokemon games, but their engines were bad. i havnt worked on this for a while though, so for all i know someone stumbled upon something huge since then lol.

i was working on my own parody of it, and had even thought of a system for rpg maker xp that made it work though it was quite different from pokemon. i cant remember what i called it... i think it was pakumon. i had even designed like 60 or so pakumon for it lol. i wish i knew where those designs were.

Mewter

Smash Master
RPG Maker... Awesomeful.
I heard there's a Pokemon Scripting kit out there for XP(But not for VX).
If you do manage to pull this off, it would be coo. I could even try scripting it, but I have absolutely NO Ruby scripting experience(save for the 2 + 2= 4 stuff, literally)

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
im very adept with rpg maker xp, and have even attempted something like this. please take this advice:

Do not start on any resources for this project until you get a working engine in RPG Maker!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you want a pokemon style game where ufind random battles, catch em, etc, work on the engine first. i have worked for a ridiculous amount of time on this and it is insanely hard to do. additionally, when consulting forums for how to do such things, pretty much no one had an answer. there were ppl that tried to make pokemon games, but their engines were bad. i havnt worked on this for a while though, so for all i know someone stumbled upon something huge since then lol.

i was working on my own parody of it, and had even thought of a system for rpg maker xp that made it work though it was quite different from pokemon. i cant remember what i called it... i think it was pakumon. i had even designed like 60 or so pakumon for it lol. i wish i knew where those designs were.
Thanks for the head's up, Chibo. I'm still trying to educate myself in Ruby, sooo..

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I can't say much but my advice is to try and come up with some Pokemon that aren't really merged. You could do so much with a mockingbird whenver making it into a pokemon. Maybe make a griffon, or a pegasus type pokemon as legendary.

I do have ideas of my own for Pocket Monstors, but am a terrible artist so they're just stuck in my head to keep from getting ruined. ><

Mewter

Smash Master
I've got an idea for the plot:
You start out as a trainer and choose from a generic set of pokemon and get caught up in a set of events that leads to the end of the world, all the while chasing after your dream(nothing more) of becoming the best there ever was.
You start out with some level 10 pokemon and are trying to find a (something here)
Maybe you should include a FF battle system? That would be awesome....:)

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Make it a pokemon that is reverse chronology.

You start out at the Elite 4 with an awesome team. But Team Sprocket has a device that reverses time. You must go back through the gyms and the world, and with each pokemon you defeat, they lose experience. Your pokemon get lower and lower in level along the way. They start to abandon you and flee into the wild. Farther back, back, back. HM's you once possessed, gone. Finally you end up back in Pallet Town with no pokemon of your own. You, Gary, Professor Oak, your mom, and Gary's sister.

You now realize that Pokemon was never about the "pokemon," but rather it is about the friendships forged along the way. Gary, despite being your rival, is the closest thing you've had to a friend. And only now, with time continuing to go backwards, do you realize this. You two could have made such an awesome team, 2v2ing your way to the Elite 4, a task never accomplished. Opportunities missed.

But wait! Oak wants you to deliver a parcel? Is this possible?! Yes, it seem's Team Sprockets device is no more, and time has returned to normal. But you still possess all the memories from your backwards journey.

-Can you convince Gary to become your partner?
-When you defeat the Elite 4, will you try to stop Team Sprocket's device so the whole cycle doesn't start over again? Or will you let the cycle continue on indefinitely?

I know that storyline sucks, but if you want help with the plot let me know.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
One thing's for sure. Make sure you introduce light type pokemon. We can help you figure out their resistances. I'd say something like:

Resists:
Dark
Fire
Fighting?
Flying
Electric?
Bug?

Weak to:
Rock (or maybe Ground)
Poison

Super effective vs:
Flying
Dark
Normal?
Water?
Bug
Fighting?

Ineffective/Not very effective vs:
Grass (you could probably also introduce a grass-type ability that absorbs light like motor drive or flash fire does)
Fire
Rock (Ground?)
Electric

That's for starters. You'd probably have to change it around in order to make it balanced.

Plot Idea: The main character should be someone who doesn't want to be a pokemon trainer. He should be forced by circumstances (i.e. for his own safety). What if his/her region were to be thrown into complete chaos by a natural disaster/super-powerful pokemon/organization (yes that last is similar to the team ____'s, but here their plan would be successful and it would happen at the beginning of the game)? If you were to go with this theme, pokemon centers, towns, and gym leaders wouldn't really exist, and something else would take their place. More's at stake than defeat. Life and Death come into the picture.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Here's my own little plot right now in a nutshell:

The region is a mostly-desert continent. An organization (Let's call them Water Co. for now) has been going around, claiming all of the wells, oasises, all water sources as their own. The player ends up joining a different team (I'll just call them Team Sand for the sake of a name), and tries to overthrow Water Co.

However, Water Co. is not just out for money, but also believes in distributing the water supply evenly, thus ensuring the survival of humans. Team Sand, however, believes that water should be up for grabs at all time, that wells should be claimed, etc. The point is is that neither team is good nor evil, and that the player must ultimately decide for themself as to which organisation is worse.

Pretty bare right now, unorganised, I don't have much time for typing right now. But thanks for the other ideas, guys.

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
Wow i seriously didnt even know they had such things as a rpg maker xp.
But anyways you should include an option of running and designing your own gym for wi fi. that would be pretty cool

Grunt

Smash Master
I've always liked the idea of a highly powerful and seemingly corrupt government system that rules with an iron fist, that nobody really likes. But then after you overthrow them, you realize they were really protecting you from a greater evil outside the quaint island that this game inevitably must take place on.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
If you were going to make new Pokemon, would it be a stretch to ask for them to possibly have new types that haven't been done for certain situations? I would hope that the Fire-Starter starts off as a little Lizard like creature that stands on all four of it's legs, gains scales and such on it's back and a more menacing looking face, and ends up becoming a Fire/Dragon Pokemon that can even stand on it's hein legs by themselves? (Maybe I'm thinking of Godzilla? :p)

If you want to make the whole 8-Gyms + Elite 4 Chaimpion Indigo Plateu Victory Road quest, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help for the types of trainers and challenges... I wonder if this could taken more like the way Colloseum and XD Gale of Darkness were... with an evil team in the back ground that actually poses a threat, and with trainers recieving Pokemon at the beginning in order to be able to help combat this threat... joining with pokemon both known and new over time, and eventually finding the enemy's base and defeating it's leader over time. But that's just a random thought.

I wish you the best of luck making your rpg. And I hope any input I can contribute is a help, rather than a hinderence.

aceofdiamonds825

Smash Apprentice
Make it a pokemon that is reverse chronology.

You start out at the Elite 4 with an awesome team. But Team Sprocket has a device that reverses time. You must go back through the gyms and the world, and with each pokemon you defeat, they lose experience. Your pokemon get lower and lower in level along the way. They start to abandon you and flee into the wild. Farther back, back, back. HM's you once possessed, gone. Finally you end up back in Pallet Town with no pokemon of your own. You, Gary, Professor Oak, your mom, and Gary's sister.

You now realize that Pokemon was never about the "pokemon," but rather it is about the friendships forged along the way. Gary, despite being your rival, is the closest thing you've had to a friend. And only now, with time continuing to go backwards, do you realize this. You two could have made such an awesome team, 2v2ing your way to the Elite 4, a task never accomplished. Opportunities missed.

But wait! Oak wants you to deliver a parcel? Is this possible?! Yes, it seem's Team Sprockets device is no more, and time has returned to normal. But you still possess all the memories from your backwards journey.

-Can you convince Gary to become your partner?
-When you defeat the Elite 4, will you try to stop Team Sprocket's device so the whole cycle doesn't start over again? Or will you let the cycle continue on indefinitely?

I know that storyline sucks, but if you want help with the plot let me know.
Woah that's pretty epic, very unique. Oh and for a plot idea maybe change the starter pokemon types from the traditional water fire and grass and maybe have other people join the main character throughout the game so you can switch off with different people?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I could probably help with a story later, not right now though. Sprites and artwork i would definitely help with:)

Going of from teh water Co. and such idea: you don't start with the every day starters (water, grass, fire) instead you start out with ground rock and flying. Along the way you basically do the same as from 3rd gen. go around and figure out the plans of both teams, but what you don't know is that they are after the legendary pokemon (insert cool name here) that is a grass/water type and can replenish the land with vegetation and water. Something like that

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I still think it'd be cool if the main character didn't want anything to do with pokemon at the start, only to later realize that they are some of the best friends he's ever made.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
I woukd love a storyline that gives me a choice of the path I take. Your plot sounds good Zook but I want to be able to be in a pure evil organisation, I hate that the good guys always win when the bad guys are infinitely better.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Thanks for all the ideas, guys!

One thing's for sure. Make sure you introduce light type pokemon. We can help you figure out their resistances. I'd say something like:

Resists:
Dark
Fire
Fighting?
Flying
Electric?
Bug?

Weak to:
Rock (or maybe Ground)
Poison

Super effective vs:
Flying
Dark
Normal?
Water?
Bug
Fighting?

Ineffective/Not very effective vs:
Grass (you could probably also introduce a grass-type ability that absorbs light like motor drive or flash fire does)
Fire
Rock (Ground?)
Electric

That's for starters. You'd probably have to change it around in order to make it balanced.
I was thinking about this idea today in school. I'll be adding light now!

Ampharos should be part light...

Add Missingno as some kind of secret...
Oh yeah.

I still think it'd be cool if the main character didn't want anything to do with pokemon at the start, only to later realize that they are some of the best friends he's ever made.
That'd be interesting.

I could probably help with a story later, not right now though. Sprites and artwork i would definitely help with:)

Going of from teh water Co. and such idea: you don't start with the every day starters (water, grass, fire) instead you start out with ground rock and flying. Along the way you basically do the same as from 3rd gen. go around and figure out the plans of both teams, but what you don't know is that they are after the legendary pokemon (insert cool name here) that is a grass/water type and can replenish the land with vegetation and water. Something like that
THanks zrky!

And I was planning on having new starter types. I don't know what yet.

I woukd love a storyline that gives me a choice of the path I take. Your plot sounds good Zook but I want to be able to be in a pure evil organisation, I hate that the good guys always win when the bad guys are infinitely better.
I want both organizations to be equally evil, in fact. Just that it's not apparent at first.

Anyways I've been thinking of new Pokemon. Here's what I got so far:

Mosstone -> Moundor -> Moundon

I forgot the formula for calculation stats, but they're Rock, have Solid Rock as an ability, and are basically mountains. High defenses and Attack, but slow as dirt. I'll upload a picture sometime later.

Anyone have any ideas for new Pokemon? Feel free to submit them!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Pretty basic, but instead of fire-water-grass for beginning Pokemon (if you're doing that), make it flying-rock-fighting.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pretty basic, but instead of fire-water-grass for beginning Pokemon (if you're doing that), make it flying-rock-fighting.
How about a Fire/ Rock a Fighting/ Grass and a Flying/ Water?

Or some other weirder combination

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah, the kit would be on rmxp. There are a lot of Pokemon Fangames there. Like them, I'd suggest you sketch your Pokemon first and post them for community feedback. Especially your starters.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Any plans to make the game more challenging? Higher levels? More expensive items? Less money received after beating a trainer? Gain no experience from losing? Level restrictions (You can't use this type of Pokemon in this gym if it exceeds lv. XX)? Just throwing them out there.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Any plans to make the game more challenging? Higher levels? More expensive items? Less money received after beating a trainer? Gain no experience from losing? Level restrictions (You can't use this type of Pokemon in this gym if it exceeds lv. XX)? Just throwing them out there.
I don't like the less money/ more expense idea...

I never got enough money in the game as it was

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I wanted to make the Gym leaders and whatnot have Lv. 100s after you beat them a few times. That'b be pretty sweet.

I never noticed the money thing though.

Level restriction? That'd be interesting.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
Consavis Avianus Imperavian

Base Stats of Imperavian

HP 95
Attack 125
Defense 70
SpAtk 11(1 higher than shuckle)
SpDef 70
Speed 107

Molosterra Firmustera Durummold

As the other 2 startersd

Durummold Base Stats

HP 120
Atk 65
Def 140
Sp Atk 15
Sp Def 130
Speed 30

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Make the Pokemon Centers cost an insignificant amount of money to heal your team. It always bothered me that they somehow have sufficient funds to keep the place running.

Critical hits should only happen on moves that say "higher chance of critical landing". It'll be like the 10% to inflict paralysis with Thunderbolt, except this is 2x defense ignoring damage.

I'm pretty sure there's a creative new attacks thread for some ideas on new attacks. I think there was a new type thread, but I think that's too old to find without searching/displaying threads older than 2 months.

As for new Pokemon...

...and...

sorry for the sucky quality.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I don't think you should have gyms. I think the story would be a lot more interesting if it was in a more war-like status, meaning there wouldn't be any organized league or any such things. Oh oh! Good idea. This should be an older time period. A more savage, isolated one. "Gyms" would be replaced by strong trainers that try to bar your path, or even uncatchable super-powered wild pokemon.

I'll try to throw you some ideas for pokemon, along with some shoddy attempts at names with latin/greek roots.

All around stats, Normal type quadruped. Evolves into a Light/Water or Dark/Fire type depending on whether or not it likes you/reaches lvl X at night or day. Divon>Euzon/Malon

Light-Ghost. Fast with high special attack/defense Wasquin>(1st stage?)>Etheron (1st or 2nd stage)

Fighting-Flying type. Fast, high attack Pereguarl>Falcar>Harbinar

Psychic-Fire type quadruped. Volote>Irreled>Mercurien

I can't draw, but hopefully I can inspire.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Which reminds me, I gotta make a Lucario fangame... with RPGXP...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Orehelm is cute =P

Are planning on making it exclusively 5th gen, or are you going to include previous Pokemon?

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I like LordoftheMorning's idea. A bunch of rogue trainers running around trying to claim land and dominance. Some pokemon are very powerful and don't have trainers, more so than the anime. You've got to try to get them united to.. do something.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
For a plot idea how about the main character being a young Giovanni- starting as a normal trainer, then as you get stronger in battle, becoming corrupt and founding Team Rocket- the final moments of the game being the 8th Gym Battle between Giovanni and Ash Red?

Good luck with the game though.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Make the Pokemon Centers cost an insignificant amount of money to heal your team. It always bothered me that they somehow have sufficient funds to keep the place running.
Agreed. I also think that if you go with anything involving Pokemon Centers, they should all be much more in-depth and accessible. I mean...have you ever seen the Pokemon Centers in the show? They're like freaking hospitals! Plus, at least from what I remember in the earlier episodes (I mainly just remember his meeting with Charmander for Pokemon Centers), the Pokemon actually had to stay in for a night or two if heavily damaged so Nurse Joy could treat them. It was no "Oh...we'll just put them in this little machine for a few seconds and they'll be all better" bull****. So if you can create an internal clock for the game (much like in GSC and DPP), I think this should be included. It can force versatility in training methods and will ultimately make every fight more risky.

That latter part would also be an extremely good idea if you decide to make a more war-like atmosphere for the game, as I highly doubt Pokemon Centers will even really exist anymore if this were to happen.

Ooooo...good idea working off of your desert/clan idea: just make it like a barren wasteland, and houses that you'd find would be in just random placement instead of colonized. Actually, towns as a whole could be rather nonexistent, and those that do exist would possibly be found in semi-hidden caves. They could also generally be owned by the different clans, so in order to get in you'd need to be a part of that clan. Of course, there might be an occasional neutral one as well, as I'm guessing that there might be a path to choose neither?

I don't know...it's just a thought. Looking at the perspectives of the other posters, I'd say that they're hoping for a more hardcore-style of play, and I think these couple of things could really help bring that with what your current plot is.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Agreed. I also think that if you go with anything involving Pokemon Centers, they should all be much more in-depth and accessible. I mean...have you ever seen the Pokemon Centers in the show? They're like freaking hospitals! Plus, at least from what I remember in the earlier episodes (I mainly just remember his meeting with Charmander for Pokemon Centers), the Pokemon actually had to stay in for a night or two if heavily damaged so Nurse Joy could treat them. It was no "Oh...we'll just put them in this little machine for a few seconds and they'll be all better" bull****. So if you can create an internal clock for the game (much like in GSC and DPP), I think this should be included. It can force versatility in training methods and will ultimately make every fight more risky.

That latter part would also be an extremely good idea if you decide to make a more war-like atmosphere for the game, as I highly doubt Pokemon Centers will even really exist anymore if this were to happen.

Ooooo...good idea working off of your desert/clan idea: just make it like a barren wasteland, and houses that you'd find would be in just random placement instead of colonized. Actually, towns as a whole could be rather nonexistent, and those that do exist would possibly be found in semi-hidden caves. They could also generally be owned by the different clans, so in order to get in you'd need to be a part of that clan. Of course, there might be an occasional neutral one as well, as I'm guessing that there might be a path to choose neither?

I don't know...it's just a thought. Looking at the perspectives of the other posters, I'd say that they're hoping for a more hardcore-style of play, and I think these couple of things could really help bring that with what your current plot is.
Personally, I think that would be really annoying

I see people shutting the game off and just waiting for their pokemon to heal.

It would be an inconvenience in the game

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Great ideas guys. Maybe the starter Pokemon could be Fighting, Dark, and Psychic? Kind of like PurpleKecleons fake sprites he made for the fourth generation. That is, if you even have starter Pokemon.

I also have some good ideas of some sprites, I'll probably draw them out and list their stats as well.

Top Bottom