• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
That was the decision. We may have to change that though, now that you're in our crew. What with trying to avoid two people from the same crew being on the panel.

Pice

Smash Apprentice
ya i sort of agree...i will gladfully bow out if there is someone to take my place

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'd kind of like to remain part of the panel. I think if I actually put forth my effort I can get a decent power rankings going, along with the help of the other panelists.

But yeah, as mentioned above, I think the only two crews are BNTD and Team Nub (who will be competeing for supremecy in the near future, hehe).

As for those power rankings... bleh. They are a piece of crap. Don't take them too literally, but they are indeed a nice generalization.

As for other montly, biweekly, or whatever have you tournaments/smashfests, I don't think so. Albuquerque was kind of struggly to get a monthlies scene set up to begin with because the only time we'd ever really get to see or play each other is at tournaments. If my house was better suited for it, I might hold triweeklies, but I doubt that will happen. At least until we get our game room constructed (which wil never happen).

Something tells me this post is extremely incoherent... sorry.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Btw, gamestop will never help anyone out in smash. X-topia has tried, they got shot down. I tried got shot down, even though I had them making profits off of it. They will never do any biweeklys,monthlys, etc.

Yea Gamestops pretty nOOb, don't pay them attention. They won't even let me put fliers there for tournaments.

The only thing ALB. has right now is these monthlies at Ninja Monkey Gaming Center(NMGC, nehe, NM, nehe...), and that's probably all we ever will have. It's taken a LONG time to get NM as good at smash as it is now, believe me.

Take a moment to reflect guys, and look back at the past. About two years ago, most of us didn't even know what a wavedash was. I remember my first tournament, where the finals came and it was me and Davis in the arena. I had a splitting headache, my hands couldn't even hold the controller right I was so sweaty, and we have'd at it. Both matches were pretty close, one stocks if I remember, but Davis came out on top using that Doc of his. Good times, eh? Then I found out about Smashboards through Nintendo Power, and I registered and got MAJORLY flamed for some videos me and Sinz posted up. I most definitely remember that. That was enough motivation for me to go by, so I went and learned all about the game, determined to get better. And we did. We all eventually learned all the crazy stuff about the game, and now look where we stand. We stand on the verge of becoming a threat to the best in the nation. We stand on our own feet, without the help of OOS'ers moving here, slowly mounting the steep hill we have been climbing for so long. We stand, pushing with all our might against those who would oppose us, against AZ, against Texas, against OK, against anyone who dares to challenge us. Now we are so close to achieving the goal of CRUSHING our foes, so close to the top of the wall we have been climbing. We've come a long way, haven't we? We now need to show the world what NM is capable of, all learned without help, all learned under grueling training, aching brains, and tired fingers. July 7th is close, very close. We have ripped through all obstacles that once seemed impregnable to us, and now we have but one left, just one, simple thing. And that thing will fall on July 7th, giving way to the revolution that NM will bring to the entire nation, not just the Southwest. "Prepare for Glory" my fellow NM'ers, for we shall be worthy of nothing less.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
But I won't be at the July 7th tourney. No glory for me...=(

But I'll be there in spirit! I'll be the cool breeze that wicks the sweat away from your hands, letting you pull of a close victory. I'll be the red bull that allows you to carry on for one more round. I'll be the cloud that covers up the sun just when you think the maddening glare is going to ensure your defeat.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
=nm

Yea Gamestops pretty nOOb, don't pay them attention. They won't even let me put fliers there for tournaments.

The only thing ALB. has right now is these monthlies at Ninja Monkey Gaming Center(NMGC, nehe, NM, nehe...), and that's probably all we ever will have. It's taken a LONG time to get NM as good at smash as it is now, believe me.

Take a moment to reflect guys, and look back at the past. About two years ago, most of us didn't even know what a wavedash was. I remember my first tournament, where the finals came and it was me and Davis in the arena. I had a splitting headache, my hands couldn't even hold the controller right I was so sweaty, and we have'd at it. Both matches were pretty close, one stocks if I remember, but Davis came out on top using that Doc of his. Good times, eh? Then I found out about Smashboards through Nintendo Power, and I registered and got MAJORLY flamed for some videos me and Sinz posted up. I most definitely remember that. That was enough motivation for me to go by, so I went and learned all about the game, determined to get better. And we did. We all eventually learned all the crazy stuff about the game, and now look where we stand. We stand on the verge of becoming a threat to the best in the nation. We stand on our own feet, without the help of OOS'ers moving here, slowly mounting the steep hill we have been climbing for so long. We stand, pushing with all our might against those who would oppose us, against AZ, against Texas, against OK, against anyone who dares to challenge us. Now we are so close to achieving the goal of CRUSHING our foes, so close to the top of the wall we have been climbing. We've come a long way, haven't we? We now need to show the world what NM is capable of, all learned without help, all learned under grueling training, aching brains, and tired fingers. July 7th is close, very close. We have ripped through all obstacles that once seemed impregnable to us, and now we have but one left, just one, simple thing. And that thing will fall on July 7th, giving way to the revolution that NM will bring to the entire nation, not just the Southwest. "Prepare for Glory" my fellow NM'ers, for we shall be worthy of nothing less.
You forget to mention that we suck.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
INSPIRATION WENT THROUGH BOTH OF PAULS EARS. Cmon.

We sucked

Sorry guys, I just felt inspired. Was on a roll and couldn't stop. Kinda fun actually...

Of course you will be Steven, don't even worry about it. I believe you!

Well Pice, I guess I should say some of the Gamestops. I'll give fliers to some of them to put out on their desktops, and they'll say OK. Others, however, say noway hosea. Weird, I know.

In all seriousness though guys, NM WILL win the tournament, make no mistake. Train hard, I wanna see absolute amazingness on June 21st.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Here, if it makes you feel better, you suck cause your from nm.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I dare any Falco to try and Falco ditto me. I'll shine combo the **** outta that ****a. I'm ready to kick some ***. RAAAA! I be pumped.

Oh, and, speak for yourself Paul. You may suck but that doesn't mean the rest of NM, Erich, Everett, me, Steven, Joe, etc, suck. Move on, cry baby.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Jeez . . .

Come on guys, drop it. I don't even know why you are arguing anyway :(

Erich's motivational speech (which owned, keep up that uber spirit!) was supposed to make NM feel better and more pumped for our upcoming summer tournies . . . NOT make us fight over who is better than another!!! :urg: :crying:

Anyways, I think we should all relax (and become chillindudes too ;) ) .
Oh, and DO NOT EVEN DARE include me on anything about NM's players. I'm not worthy anyway. :ohwell: Give me 2 years also :embarrass

Sliraobe God

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
I do not say NM sucks because I am immature or because I really think that NM sucks, I say it so that NM can improve. If people listen to my negativity about this state's competitive future they tend to get motivated and prove me wrong to show that NM does not really suck. People tend to improve much more rapidly if they know they have much left to master or if there is someone who is still better than them. NM can improve in skill much more effectively if we all believe we still have a long way to go; but if we just sit back and think that we are the best then we will not improve. After every defeat and tournament loss we should reflect on how we performed so that we can realize our mistakes and improve from there. We should not make excuses and say we are still "amazing" when we still have so much left to improve on.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
See, there is a difference from what you have been doing and what you just said.

Negative motivation has to be done with a certain... touch, shall we say for lack of a better word. You lack that touch. Without that such comments are reduced to nothing but negative, assaultive, and rude remarks. I don't think anyone in NM is sitting back and taking it easy. I'm working my *** off to get better and playing Melee like mad. Not because you say I suck but because I strive to be better on my own. That's one of the reasons we started the monthlies and our own power rankings to begin with. Negative motivation works in some contexts, but in this situation I think postive motivation (like Erich's speech) is not only better, but more efficient.

And Sliraobe, we aren't argueing about who's better (at least amongst ourselves). But I agree. Just take it back a step.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Actually, I took some of a psych class at CEC last year, and Negative influence is the most effective. Strange isn't it?

Exactly. I think that's Paul's aim. Don't worry about it; it would take me forever to explain what I mean, because it takes me forever to explain anything. Worst flaw ever. Can't make a story short. Nope.

Anyways, if you guys though that was motivational, that's good. I guess I didn't use up all my mental powers to draw that up for nothing, eh? I have a few more things to add that I previously couldn't because I had to leave somewhere, cutting it short, but I'll add those in a few days before the tournament.

Does anyone else from NM want to attend CCCT with me? It's a 95% sure I'm going right now, so yea. Anyone??

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Erich! I'm free that weekend, and I'll gladly attend the CCCT if you're cool with that ;)

So, I need a ride and I was wondering if I could carpool with ya :p . Anyways, the registration fee and GCN/TV stuff is all taken care of for me. It's too late to book a reservation at Ramada Inn, but all I really need to worry about is the ride to and fro.

But seriously, if you don't want me/can't go/can't provide a ride, I'm fine. Besides, CCCT is a tad out of my league :dizzy:

Pm me if you have any questions. Thanks a lot Erich, I appreciate the offer!

Sliraobe God

It's kind of a ways away too Joe, so if you couldn't go, that's all right. There'll be some other ones that I want to go to later this year and next year as well, so maybe one of those, eh?:lick:

Yea. I'm going with Sinz and Alphabravo too, so I don't know how much room I have. I was just wondering if anyone else wanted to go. If you can, then maybe we should all go up there in 1-3 vehicles, depending on who's coming. If we can get a certain someone I know to come with us, then we should only need at most 2, probably one vehicle.

Anyone else?

When is it, you say? Why, it's on the 22-23 of June. The 22nd is for doubles and crew battles, which I personally am not interested in, and the 23(Saturday) is when the Smash singles tournament is. Registration and other stuff we can go into if you guys decide you want to/you can go. Anything else you need to know Davis?:confused:

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
LMAO! I can't believe you put that in your signature, Steven.

Aye, I uploaded some friendlies between Steven and I.

I don't know Erich, I just requested June 21st off for the smashfest today and seeings how I'm in the entertainment business, I'm pretty much guareenteed to work at least one weekend day, so the chances of me going are slim to none. I am, however, going to try and go to FC10.

You guys leave your commentary in too?!?:dizzy: Whoa!! I never knew anyone other than me and Sinz and Alpha did that. Cool Beans.:cool:

Alright, I didn't watch them all, but I did watch some. Enough. I gotta hand it to you guys, you've improved VASTLY since the last time I saw you guys in action. Awesome stuff guys, keep it up, I like what I see, like a lot.

Here's some critique for you, mostly for Davis, as I don't play CF. Anyways, first things first:

1. Get all those advanced techniques COMPLETELY solid. There were a few times, just a few but more than should happen in a serious match, when you SHL'd and screwed it up and either did a regular laser or something different, so get those down like your breakfast in the morning. Not the bulk of what I have to say though, just something to work on after everything else, as this comes with more practice anyways.

2. Comboing seemed a little weak to me. You've got to learn to combo much better with that Falco. Once you do that, you'll be fine. Also, start to be a little more aggressive. Not all the time, but sometimes, good mindgame and whatnot. Don't always just sit there and shoot lasers, you've gotta move forwards and backwards while you're doing it. If you do that against some people like me, then I'll just reflect them all back at you and you'll hate me just like Paul does.

That's about it. Once you work on comboing, you'll be a definite threat in the coming days. One more thing, use the shine a little more, and if your opponent has their shield up, either grab them or pillar, or pull some hit and run tactics, if you know what I mean by that.

Joe, I'll watch some matches of you later, probably tomorrow. Talk more later, gotta go for now. Good job in the meantime though guys, keep it up.

Erich out.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Lol. Don't tell me to get it down like my breakfast in the morning; I don't remember the last time I ate "breakfast" XD! Alright, thanks Erich. I mean to move when I SHL more than I do, and when I'm playing it seems like I do, but I understand. I also need to work on pillaring and double shining. Thanks ^_^.

Pice

Smash Apprentice
kash unless ur falco has improved vastley since the last time we played i dont think ull bi double shining ne one decent ne time soon XD! jk jk ....so ya im gonna buy a capture card soon so i can get alot of matches uo onlin ( thks for putting our vids up kash)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
GG.... .... ... ... your cf made me sad. I watched only one match. You had 4 attempted knees and 0 connected knees. That made me sad. You missed so many ffs... Plus, you depended on an easilypunishable move alot. You need to be careful, and play faster!

I didn't edit the other posts, kind of obvious, but I still felt the need to say that...:confused:

Here's some other stuff for your CF GG:

1. You've gotta tech a lot more often than you do now, that will help out TREMENDOUSLY. You can avoid soooho many combos when you tech, and don't just tech one way either, mix it up with left, right and stationary teching. Work on that especially.

2. Overall, start learning to play and move a little faster; you're playing Falcon, abuse his speed. That does NOT mean however, that you shouldn't space, just start moving a whole lot faster than you are now, and try not to miss L-cancels at all.

3. Only going to mention this a little bit, and that is, like Kash, learn how to combo better.

That's the gist of it. There are other things, but once you get the first two things down, other issues should resolve anyways, such as being able to combo better.

Here's some advise both of you could take as well:

1. More for Davis, but a little bit GG too. Try to stop doing so many spot-dodges!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Supposed to sound like a sheep, don't exactly know how to do that on the internet:ohwell:)

2. When you play a character like CF or Falco, try not to use the shield so often. It's hard to explain why, but I'll try. The shield is useful, sure, it blocks attacks, right? But when you play a fast character like one of these you are playing, it slows you down, and it messes with Falco's or CF's normal movement, savvy? I don't know if that explains it very well, but cut down on shield usage. Still use it, by all means, just not nearly as much, there are usually better options. Look for them.

Just some basic stuff, not too in depth about specific parts of matches or anything, just general things to work on, and if you work on 'em long enough, they should help your gameplay all around. Helpful?

I'll critique your other characters like Shiek, Mewtwo, and Doc some other time, when I'm not lazy enough to watch the matches. I've gotta say though, the work you guys have done is amazing. If you keep this up, then there's no way EP will win. Keep the up hard work until June 21st!!

Erich out.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Just so you guys know. DK's shield does not work.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Colorado Cutthroat

Okay everyone, I've been checking out your videos, they're actually entertaining :)
I dare not criticize anybody, Neil being mister smash noob/new to tourney scene.
(I'm still working on everybody's names...so...next post, please tell me, sorry :()

Everett- Your pichu is too hilarious . . . :laugh:
Erich- MARTH OWNAGE!!! :p Oh, upload a vid of your falco if you can please!
Davis - In my opinion, your Dr. Mario has more potential than your falco, sorry :cry:
Paul - Didn't see any vids.
Pice (is it Joe? sorry!) - It's interesting, your marth is very "consistent".
GG (no clue, sorry :urg:) - Holy ****! I worship the fact you play mewtwo, he seriously has Taj potential :lick:

If i missed anybody, which I would be terribly sorry if I did, you may mess up my character so bad to sex-change level at the NinjaMonkey monthly.

Erich, because my parents are safety freaks for an out-of-state tourney, I might need some quick details. CCCT is a 7-hour drive :(

Neil (Sliraobe God, who is finally a Smash Child)

Top Bottom