• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New (hopefully :x) Peach movement technique

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
First off, a disclaimer: (feel like I have to add this :x)

I am not claiming that I discovered this, as I seriously doubt that. My purpose in posting this is to throw this idea out there to see what others think of it, and hopefully at the end of the day this post will end up being useful to others. That is all. Hopefully this hasn't already been posted, and if it has I apologize for wasting everyone's time x____x.

Now then! Back to business. All this allows you to do is immediately fastfall from any height out of a jump (as long as you have your float intact). Not gamebreaking of course, but perhaps useful ?____?. Anyways instead of me yapping about it watch this vid:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rTA9QnGXBGc (excuse me for boning it up a few times :p)

This is done by inputting down on the control stick while simultaneously (or 2 or less frames after) letting go of the jump button. This causes you to fastfall from a float, but the float never comes out! If you let go of Y (jump) too late you'll just fall and not fast fall (as seen a few times in the vid.) If you let go of Y too soon you'll just jump up in the air. The timing is VERY tight though, so don't expect to do it right off the bat.

Note that this does use up your float though, so keep that in mind. Perhaps purposely falling instead of fast falling could be used to mix things up? Anyways I'd encourage you guys to be creative with this :]. Thoughts?

Video Section (if anyone has any videos of this in action or possible applications don't hesitate to post it! ;)

-http://youtube.com/watch?v=rTA9QnGXBGc <- "intro" video showing this in action
-http://youtube.com/watch?v=ezLkDHKRCoY <- video showing mainly the nair application

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Nice, it opens doors for new mindgames.
Did you try combining it with different moves and versus actual players?

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
thats pretty cool. if possible if sum1 could mix that with one of peachs isj moves then that would be a great movement tech ^_^ im gonna try this one out later

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
I for one, thought it was interesting. ^__^

Although.. it looks kinda hard to do and may lead to some accidental suicides.:laugh:

Again, interesting find.;)

Villi

Smash Lord
It looks very technical. Peach doesn't have much that's very difficult to do -- imo it's worth learning just to be able to do it consistently. lol

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I find it useful for mindgames and such.

If done right it looks like you can create a bair wall.

Ill be practicing on this for sure.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Nice, it opens doors for new mindgames.
Did you try combining it with different moves and versus actual players?
One of the more obvious applications of this is combining it with her nair, but I forgot to demonstrate it in the vid :psycho:. I'll have another vid up tonight (or sooner) showing it. I haven't experimented too much against other players, largely because I'm limited to wifi play right now, which throws off my timing pretty nicely. The one match I put effort into doing this though I was able to land a few nairs by doing this out of a jump and and her second jump. The thing is is that your opponent can no longer predict your jumping trajectory because you can fall at any time :]. I'll see if I can't get some vids up that show this being used against a real person, though said videos will have to be taken with a grain of salt due to them being on wifi :/. And I won't be able to do this till early next week because I'm waiting for some adapters to come in.

Random application: If Peach fastfalls off the ledge and uses her nair, bair, or fair she's dead, due to the long cooldown of these moves and her crap vertical recovery ^__^;. As seen in the video I posted though they can all be done by jumping a bit and then using this, which is faster and less predictable than simply short hopping and then fastfalling. Not sure how useful this is, but eh. I wonder if she could do this and then bair towards the ledge to nail some recoveries? Toon Link comes to mind. And that may help against a flying Pit. Just a random idea :p.

One last thing: you guys think this should be given a name ?____?. Calling it "Peach Movement Technique" is pretty stupid :p.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Video showing using this with her nair up: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ezLkDHKRCoY (forgot to do that in the first vid, and sorry about the crap sound quality; forgot to set it correctly)

This is pretty unpredictable imo, though obviously if you do this too much you will get predicted and shield grabbed. Perhaps you could use that to your advantage though? I wonder if trying to bait an action would work by double jumping back at the proper time and then approaching back towards the person with a fair or dair. That would be interesting to do especially against characters with slow grabs. Or you could just time it so you land behind them with a nair or bair as seen in the video.... or just land behind them and grab.

:lick: Float drop?
Autofall? (autofloat + fall)
Float fall? (duh)

¯\(°___o)/¯

Whatever the majority agrees on I guess :bee:. Anyone else have any ideas?

Villi

Smash Lord
Float Cancel 2!
Float Cancel The Sequel (FCTS) ^_^

Now float cancelling can exist in brawl because we named something else after it.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Basically what you're doing is Short hop> float> immediate fast fall (into a move)

SHFFF (shorthop float fast fall), just kidding.

I like the one I mentioned early (Float fast fall).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sorry, you must've totally missed it when some guy invented the "Z-walk" and did the exact same thing, only slightly different (really close to the ground) instead of higher up off the ground.

No, it doesn't need a name. It's just doing a float to cancel your jump and immediately fastfalling. For one thing, we cannot call it Float Canceling because it's not canceling the float (it's letting go of it, it's like rapid jabs, you're not jab canceling if you stop doing it) nor is it canceling something using the float.

For another, it doesn't even need a name, period. Not everything needs a name.

Also, it's not like this is new. Plenty of Peaches did empty floats in Melee.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, you must've totally missed it when some guy invented the "Z-walk" and did the exact same thing, only slightly different (really close to the ground) instead of higher up off the ground.
Lol, I did miss that (glad I did too >____>). The guy didn't even explain what he was doing. From what I could tell he was autofloating at a low height and then falling to the ground while tacking an airdodge too it. From the sound his controller was making he may have been pressing down once to initiate the autofloat and then pressing down again to fastfall out of it; can't be sure because he was so close to the ground. Regardless it's baffling to to call that an AT, as it obviously isn't even close to one. Every Peach player does that.

This is NOT the "Z-walk" though.

The difference is that this is fastfalling from a float, but doing so so that the float never comes out, thus allowing you to instantaneously fastfall from any height out of a jump.
You both initiate the autofloat and fastfall out of it with the the same single down input.

Did you fully watch the video's posted here? I'd encourage you fully watch them again and compare them to the "z-walk" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolmkAwc-k8

I would also encourage you to try this out for yourself so you can really grasp what's going on here. (I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well >_____>)

No, it doesn't need a name. It's just doing a float to cancel your jump and immediately fastfalling. For one thing, we cannot call it Float Canceling because it's not canceling the float (it's letting go of it, it's like rapid jabs, you're not jab canceling if you stop doing it) nor is it canceling something using the float.

For another, it doesn't even need a name, period. Not everything needs a name.

Also, it's not like this is new. Plenty of Peaches did empty floats in Melee.
First off this could not be done in Melee.

As far as giving it a name goes: The way I see it, if this is useful it needs one, and if it's useless it doesn't need one and it will be promptly forgotten (as is the case with the "z-walk"). The purpose in giving something a name is so it can be easily referred too. For an example: saying "wavedash" instead of "jumping and then immediately air dodging to the ground".

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I wouldn't say this is new, as I'm sure plenty of other Peach players have discovered this independently. Still, it's certainly VERY useful.

If you rapidly alternate between jumping and air dodging while holding diagonally down, you can use this to advance forward slowly with something a little reminiscent of a wave dash... Unfortunately, I haven't really found a useful way of combining this with an attack. I think it MIGHT be possible to combine it with rapid Bairs for an approach, but I haven't figured it out yet. If Peach can use this to help her approaches, it might raise her tournament viability.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
As the inventor of the Z-Walk I am insulted.

You people don't even know how to recreate it! Not ONCE have I met a Peach player at a tournament or smash fest that could recreate this without me showing them.

The Z-Walk is an AT for movement. It was originally posted on March 18, and I got a lot of heat for it.

After playing Brawl for months now, it clearly has useful applications, primarily in approach/spacing methods.

If you call pivoting, or dash dancing before a strike, an AT, than the Z-walk definitely is.

I will give you this hint, I do not fast fall. Don't hate it if you can't even recreate it

Top Bottom