• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New counter pick for marth

Samus-T

Smash Lord
I need a new counter pick against marth. to me, marth is the hardest character in the game (yes even harder than metaknight) and i dont know why. everyone tells me that i out range marth, over prioritize, blah blah blah but i just cant beat good marths. so im torn between 2 new counterpicks. game and watch or metaknight? who should i pick up as a counter pick

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I've watched vids of you. You're pretty good. And while I still think you have the matchup advantage on paper, I do manage to usually win against even really good D3s. I would recommend Metaknight as a Marth counter. I don't really have any difficulty against Mr. G&W.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Marth vs D3 is dead even, just clearing that up.

If you need a marth CP it would be MK. Marth has the advantage over GW and probably goes even with Snake.

CO18

Smash Hero
Aww boo cps :(.

Mk ***** marth but.. Im sure if u master cging marth ud be able to beat him alot more easily.

Bair,ftilt, and breversals **** marth.

But if you still decide to pick up a cp go with mk definitley.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
My friend pierce7d mains marth. Being of equal skill i fail to see the advantage to D3. As to learning a CP, ROB is a pretty good matchup v marth from what i'm told.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
when i faught an awesome D3 i got ***** with my marth, game and watch's moves take priority over marth but meda is fast and marth cant keep up that well, i think its whoever u feel better using.

Buuman

Smash Ace
You need to think of it this way. Marth is the ultimate in defense characters. He can simply sheild and side B out of it. Up b out of sheild comes out in a few frames and experienced marths will edge guard dededes predicables recovery up the ***. This isn't an easy matchup but u need to rely on CGs here and your edge guarding needs to be perfect

laird

Smash Apprentice
dont CP Game and Watch. I main D3 and GW, and all of GW's moves are outranged by marth, except for Bair, which is still outranged by dancing swords and fsmash. GW v Marth comes down to lots and lots and lots of turtle dancing.

I've heard meta is pretty stacked against marth, though.

Hype

Smash Lord
The turtle definatly outranges marth side B and probebly marths Fsmash. The only way I can stop the turtle with marth is to up B out of shield. still though G&W is not a good couter pick for marth.

if you are gonna go with a CP Meta knight is the way to go.

I'd suggest looking at the matchup from marth's point of view before getting a secondary.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186738

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Don't perpetuate false info Hype.

Marth's f-tilt and f-smash outrange G&W's turtle.

CP MK against Marth although Dedede does fine vs Marth as well. 50/50 match-up from what I can tell.

There shouldn't be any reason why a Dedede player can't beat a Marth player.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
The way i see it....

if the matchup isn't 100/0 in the other guys favor, you don't need a counterpick.

Thats wat im goin for anyway, d3 all the way, learn the hard matchups and enure. you'll become a better overall player in the long run because of it.

TKD

Smash Lord
Try to better your spacing. Ftilt from afar and dtilt from up close. Grab when dtilt may be shielded or when it's a sure thing. If you shielded marth's shorthopped fair, and he's still able to airjump or do another fair, I suggest you roll/spotdodge. Also counts for rising nairs. You can only shieldgrab falling aerials, not rising ones. And good spacing on Marth's part avoids that. So trying to shieldgrab is bad if it's not safe.

ftilt, dtilt, grabs. Aerial marth may get hit by fair/bair. Jumping into dair from the edge likes to work against most characters. Edgehog, learn to chaingrab effectively, and that's that.

I suggest you don't look for a counterpick because of Marth. It's better to think about bigger problems, like Diddy Kong. And don't get into counterpicking MK yet. People still haven't figured out who's good against him anyway, so blindly choosing a counterpick for him isn't a great idea.

Top Bottom